Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,370 members, 7,861,019 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:09 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547820 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by reloaded11: 12:32pm On Aug 08, 2011
Please house answer my question this time oooo, I have scheduled my appointment for 29th September in Lagos and my school will resume in January 2012, it looks like i am ready to go.Please find below more details about my visa application process and some one should please respond to my post: I'm going to study ELECTRONIC MEDIA AND BROADCASTING @ ONU as an undergraduate. I have OND in MASS COMMUNICATION from RUFUS GIWA POLYTECHNIC ONDO NIGERIA, It was stated on my admission letter that i am a transfer student, may be is because my school send them my OND result and transcript, I'm working in my father's company(media house) since i finished my OND and he is the one sponsoring me, I did not write any English proficiency exams and it is stated on my i-20 that the school required english proficiency and that i has the required englsih proficiency, i'm not sure about that but i think i was waved that because of my O'LEVEL result and OND results and i was given a part-payment scholarship too, Lastly, I'm going to the embassy with my NECO and OND transcript (what other docs should i get from my school?), It is stated on my admission letter ELECTRONIC MEDIA AND BROADCASTING and it is stated on my I-20 COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA STUDIES, OTHER and i have filled ELECTRONIC MEDIA AND BROADCASTING in my DS-160 FORM. I asked my school my about this and i was told that my major(ELECTRONIC MEDIA AND BROADCASTING) does not match the US Department of Education terms and it has been like that for long with any problem with student and i was given a clew one how to explain should in-case i ask why they are different.
Please, my issue is directed to anybody and i need some one to kindly tell me if there is any red flag in my application processing the person should let me know if there should be any amendment.
Looking forward for swift response oooo, reply to my post this time oooo and help ur brother because i ahve following this thread for over seven months now
Thanks in advance!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 2:05pm On Aug 08, 2011
reloaded

1) Saying "I has", not knowing the correct spelling of "clue", using present tense where you should have used past, and your composition in general, is a clear indication that the school made a mistake in waiving TOEFL for you. If you make it obvious in front of the VO, then you got a problem.

2) Just to be safe, since you have a lot of time before going for your interview, why can't you write TOEFL?

3) I think you should schedule your interview a little later.

4) You have to improve your English before going for your interview.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2011
@aroy1,

Maybe he is on phone with QWERTY buttons. Who knows. . . . lol.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by reloaded11: 4:36pm On Aug 08, 2011
@aroy1 and imperiouxx, Thank you for the response oooo, may be i should wait for better response from other guyz in the house.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by WARYZ(m): 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2011
aroy and imperiouxx,you guys should giv reloaded a break or answer is question,instead of making him a laughing stock on here. wink wink wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shewhy: 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2011
aroy1:

reloaded

1) Saying "I has", not knowing the correct spelling of "clue", using present tense where you should have used past, and your composition in general, is a clear indication that the school made a mistake in waiving TOEFL for you. If you make it obvious in front of the VO, then you got a problem.

2) Just to be safe, since you have a lot of time before going for your interview, why can't you write TOEFL?

imperiouxx link=topic=240241.msg8880149#msg8880149 date=1312810278:

[quote author=reloaded11 link=topic=240241.msg8881076#msg8881076 date=1312817789]
@aroy1 and imperiouxx, Thank you for the response oooo, may be i should wait for better response from other guyz in the house.
@aroy1,

Maybe he is on phone with QWERTY buttons. Who knows. . . . lol.
[/quote]

Lol, Please, u guys should try to encourage and correct prospective students here, not to laugh at there mistakes.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lilchukky: 5:49pm On Aug 08, 2011
Hey guys,wen u get 2d embassy in lag,
1. Go on time even if ur appntment is by 10,get there on time so u can b screen by d outside pple.dey wil ask u 2put ur sevis receipt,ur ds160,ur appntmnt cmfirmation form,n I-20 btw ur passport.
Note(dnt carry fone,flash or any metal stuf or u go pay persn outside 2hld it 4u which im nt sure is safe)
2. Afta d screening,u wil sit n wait 4d 1st search.afta d search,u wil b moved in 5-5 as d case mayb.
3. Wen u get 2d building,u wil b searchd again,dis tym by a scanning machine n a guy afta d scanning machine,then u wil walk in.
4. Wen u get in d main buildin,u wil c a lady n prbably a guy as d case mayb.she wil ask u 2pres a button(letter A 4 f1 studnts,u wil c d rmainin letas if urs isnt f1).d machine wil produce a number 4u,dat number wil determine wen u wil b cald, u wil go into d main hall n sit,
I don tire i go cntinue later, cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 6:18pm On Aug 08, 2011
aroy1:

reloaded

I have never agreed with Aroy but in this case he is more than right! If you tell the guy interviewing you that TOEFL was waved for you with the way you wrote that question na denial!

My TOEFL was waved because after about three months of emails back and forth between my school admissions' office and I, they decided I didn't need it. That is exactly what I told the VO.

If you can not present a good case why yours was waved, na trouble you dey ooooooh!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 08, 2011
some of the questions here na real wa . . . grin

- should i get there on time?
- what documents should i take to the interview
- please find school for me
- should i drink water before going?
- what color shirt should i wear?
- do they require shoes at the embassy . . .

one would think this visa was the ticket to heaven.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by folakemito: 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2011
@davidylan, u r sooo funny, ah, ah, ah!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SEFAGO(m): 8:22pm On Aug 08, 2011
davidylan:

some of the questions here na real wa . . . grin

Maybe because they are nervous?

I am sure you felt the same way at one point before you got to the US so no need to make fun of teher questions.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2011
@all,

Ah! I don't make fool of people here. I was saying if he is on QWERTY, then he is bound to make typographical errors like I usually do too.

@reloaded,

Please don't be offended, i don't mean so ooo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2011
SEFAGO:

Maybe because they are nervous?

I am sure you felt the same way at one point before you got to the US so no need to make fun of teher questions.

I understand nervousness. What is on display here is lack of focus (those asking for help with school, scholarships, what standardized tests to take e.t.c.) and unseriousness.

If you need someone to tell you what to take to an interview then perhaps you need to re-evaluate if you shld be there at all. If they cant navigate the US embassy then how should we expect them to survive here?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Sicherheit(m): 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2011
djunit1:

I have never agreed with Aroy but in this case he is more than right! If you tell the guy interviewing you that TOEFL was waved for you with the way you wrote that question na denial!

My TOEFL was waved because after about three months of emails back and forth between my school admissions' office they determined I didn't need it. That is exactly what I told the VO.

If you can not present a good case why yours was waved, na trouble you dey ooooooh!
My man stop scaring the guy because of one small mistake jo. If they can WAIVE your TOEFL with the way you write, then they can WAIVE his own too. undecided
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 9:16pm On Aug 08, 2011
@Aroy1: Let me tell you something - You are a very good critic. But you don't understand that this thread is not for criticizing. READ FEMILANGY'S FIRST POST. Nothing like 'let's come together and pick holes in our student visa application' but rather 'let's come together, share information and help one another'. My advice: Focus on just what this thread is for - 'mutual helping' and avoid verbal sparring and needless arguments.

Waryz is right. You guys (the House) should constructively look into Reloaded's application and not make fun of his post.

Folakemito is right. English is a foreign language. The Chairman of Toyota does not speak english. I travelled once to Nairobi for a global convention and the South Korean President of the Conference could not speak english. Attempting to speak english more than the native speakers themselves is the 'colo-mentality' that Fela sang of.

@HOUSE: Please I need to know who is going to SAN FRANCISCO? That's where I am heading. Abeg, who is going to SFO?

aroy1:

reloaded

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 9:17pm On Aug 08, 2011
Sicherheit:

My man stop scaring the guy because of one small mistake jo. If they can WAIVE your TOEFL with the way you write, then they can WAIVE his own too. undecided

I wont start an argument with you. I made a promise to myself never to do anything like that here again. So, I will let you pass.

davidylan:

some of the questions here na real wa . . .  grin

This is so freaking funny!!!!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@All please lets stop saying English is not our language. That is what I was raised with. If you were not raised with it blame the people that raised you. Real learners draw inspiration from criticism. just saying. I am not referring to anyone
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 08, 2011
USBound:

Folakemito is right. English is a foreign language. The Chairman of Toyota does not speak english. I travelled once to Nairobi for a global convention and the South Korean President of the Conference could not speak english. Attempting to speak english more than the native speakers themselves is the 'colo-mentality' that Fela sang of.

But this makes zero sense. The chairman of Toyota lives in a country where English is not required to effectively run his company. You on the other hand will be going to a country where the PRIMARY language of communication will be in English. Not only that, you will be taking lectures from professors who speak a lot differently from us. you probably wont understand this until you start classes proper and understand that being able to convey your thoughts in a way that is articulate is one key to getting good grades. Why didnt you all scream colomentality and refuse to sit for the TOEFL? Isnt that hypocrisy?

Please you people are supposed to be thinking students. Making incredulous analogies just makes me wonder.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 9:59pm On Aug 08, 2011
@davidylan: We need to address the issue of 'British-American Imperialism via Language Control' on ANOTHER THREAD not this one. Which is why I enjoined on Aroy1 and by default US ALL to 'mutually help' applicants with their unique situations. If Reloaded needs to take the TOEFL exam or bolster his english language, simply say so rather than imply that English is required for either existence or greatnesss in this World. It is not. The Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Indians and non-english speaking Europeans have proven this. And I am not sure Americans like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mike Zuckerberg etc are renowned for the quantity or quality of english they speak. PLeaaaase. Let sleeping dogs lie.

N.B - I am not saying one should speak or write poor english, or not write the TOEFL as a student visa applicant. I myself wrote it, scored 103. I'm saying, 'please constructively attend to students' posts'

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ManJT: 10:30pm On Aug 08, 2011
I really wanna use this opportunity to thank people that contributed to the success of my US student visa application. I got my student visa Today, Grace to God because God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble, If God Be For me ,Who Can Be Against me, loading
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:31pm On Aug 08, 2011
USBound

1) If this thread is about getting US F1 visa, who do you think is giving reloaded pragmatic advice between you and me? I am sorry to say this, but do you really see farther than your eyes? I did tell the students to improve on their English. You did not. I like intelligent discussions and here are my facts.

1) The student is a student of broadcasting, a field related to journalism. So you believe bad command of English is OK for such a student?

2) The student is going to a country that has a mandatory law that all intl students must firstly be certified in her language, English, before being approved the F-1 visa. So is he/she qualified based on this law?

3) Consular: "Why didn't yo do TOEFL?"
   F-1 applicant: My school waive it when they see I has a good understanding of English.

Airplanes fly, cars move, etc., because some people believe in perfection. I do not think that USbound should be different.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Adolite(m): 10:34pm On Aug 08, 2011
@House, anyone who needs ealier date , there is 16th August available now now Lagos, hurry before others take it
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 10:38pm On Aug 08, 2011
aroy1:

USBound

1) If this thread is about getting US F1 visa, who do you think is giving reloaded pragmatic advice between you and me? I am sorry to say this, but do you really see farther than your eyes? I did tell the students to improve on their English. You did not. I like intelligent discussions and here are my facts.

1) The student is a student of broadcasting, a field related to journalism. So you believe bad command of English is OK for such a student?

2) The student is going to a country that has a mandatory law that all intl students must firstly be certified in her language, English, before being approved the F-1 visa. So is he/she qualified based on this law?

3) Consular: "Why didn't yo do TOEFL?"
   F-1 applicant: My school waive it when they see I has a good understanding of English.

Airplanes fly, cars move, etc., because some people believe in perfection. I do not think that USbound should be different.

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 10:45pm On Aug 08, 2011
At what level is this English used in teaching there? Do you guys mean undergraduate classes in Nigeria is taught with local languages? Are you saying the Arabs, Italians, Germans, French guys etc do better in English in the class than the Nigerians shocked shocked --- NEVER!!!. Even, olodo-omo from naija will do more than them in English, both in written and spoken. I see no way Nigerians won't cope in the class there. So, guys forget about how will they have good grades.

The purpose of this thread is to make GENERAL enquirIES on US student visa. So, guys pour in all your inquiries. Those that care to help will drop you answers.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:55pm On Aug 08, 2011
imperiouxx

English is never automatically waived for Arab, French, German, & Italian students. It is for Nigerians because we all claim that it is our official language and we have competent knowledge of it. Again, I will reply you with proven fact.

1) 10-15 years ago, most US colleges waived English for Nigerian students. Now, most do not. Why? I will leave that as an assignment for you, imperiouxx.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 08, 2011
USBound:

@davidylan: We need to address the issue of 'British-American Imperialism via Language Control' on ANOTHER THREAD not this one. Which is why I enjoined on Aroy1 and by default US ALL to 'mutually help' applicants with their unique situations. If Reloaded needs to take the TOEFL exam or bolster his english language, simply say so rather than imply that English is required for either existence or greatnesss in this World. It is not. The Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Indians and non-english speaking Europeans have proven this. And I am not sure Americans like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mike Zuckerberg etc are renowned for the quantity or quality of english they speak. PLeaaaase. Let sleeping dogs lie.

N.B - I am not saying one should speak or write poor english, or not write the TOEFL as a student visa applicant. I myself wrote it, scored 103. I'm saying, 'please constructively attend to students' posts'

Where are these "students"? You mean these guys who dont even know their own majors and the journalist who has such a poor command of the english language.
More like economic refugees.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 11:33pm On Aug 08, 2011
@Aroy1: Let sleeping dogs lie.

@HOUSE: I am heading to San Francisco and will like to make some new friends either there already or also heading there. Anyone?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ifecx4real: 12:07am On Aug 09, 2011
This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made. I'll rejoice, i'll rejoice and be glad in him.
Today's ma day. Hope to share my testimony later in d day. Thank U all and goodluck to me and anyoda NL goin for interview today.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by bomly(f): 6:03am On Aug 09, 2011
Aroy 1, try to improve in your interpersonal relationship skill, you're always proving too much where it's not necessary, correct with respect if you must. Not trying to justify wrong english but lets be encouraging. Anyway guys have fun.
Lot of good things happening in this forum this days.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by babatulla: 6:44am On Aug 09, 2011
Congratulations ManJt, pls share Ur experience with us.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 7:37am On Aug 09, 2011
ifecx4real:

This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made. I'll rejoice, i'll rejoice and be glad in him.
Today's ma day. Hope to share my testimony later in d day. Thank U all and goodluck to me and anyoda NL goin for interview today.

Wish you the best as you face your VO. May God grant you favour and may you get the confirmation of your VISA pick up.

To those arguing about speaking or writing English, I want to believe we all agree that some type with their phones and some at cyber cafes thus, they are more concerned about their money and time rather than checking their grammar. Therefore, I would appreciate we believe that our write ups are not a good determinant of how best we communicate or write in the language. That way, it makes it easier not to see the errors however, where you think a prospective student needs improve on his/her English, kindly advise the person to in a friendly manner as bolding people's error is just a bigger insult than the mistake you intend correcting.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by WARYZ(m): 9:42am On Aug 09, 2011
@every1 is it possible i cancle ane reshedule appointment dates up to two times?cuz i can see on here that there is 16 of augus available
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by babatulla: 9:49am On Aug 09, 2011
@ warzy: I'll advice u stick to Ur present interview date and prepare well for it, work on the mistakes u made the last time. Changing dates will result in more pressure on yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.