Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,712 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo (6124 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) / Ibrahim Babangida As Head Of State Riding With Queen Elizabeth In Her Carriage / Abdulsalami Abubakar And Ibrahim Babangida In Their Youthful Days (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 6:08pm On Feb 27, 2009
Something tells me that this topic was intentionally setup to undermine the way I see things

But I must make you understand that comparing IBB to OBJ is nothing but a total disrespect. How can one effectively compare a Lion to a mere dirty and shady Hyena?
It is absolutely senseless to even attempt to do so.  And this is why:

IBB ruled this nation as a military head of state.
When you lead a nation as a military leader, you're mostly guarded by bunch of protocols that are pretty much invisible to the public.
We must also keep in Mind that 75% of the time, Military rulers are surrounded by friends, associates and enemies that could turn against them at anytime. Your neck as a military head of state is exposed and pretty much on the line 24/7. Hence, the military style of leading is systematic, weird, sometimes unfriendly and mentally combative in some cases.
In my view, it makes sense for one not to appraise a military head of state the same way a democratic elected leader is assessed.

Secondly, when OBJ took over in 1999, Nigerians for the first time were united, they were focused and willing to work together as one towards attaining common objects (anyone who clearly understands 2 or 3 things about leading a fragile nation that has multiple ethnic groups, languages, and religious groups, would admit that OBJ got a priceless gift any new president wishes for, but unfortunately he wasn't smart enough to realize it).

On the other hand, things were absolutely different when IBB took over. During this period it was mighty obvious that the opinion of most in the North and South was for the country to disintegrate, and for each region to go its way.
You need not to be surgeon to know that leading a country like Nigeria during this particular time was extremely challenging.
However, IBB was able to put together the most brilliant minds in the country and their ideas made a lot of money. In-fact, some of IBB's policies are now being reactivated.

Eventhough, he (IBB) made few mistakes just like any one of us, but I think it is clear that IBB's intentions were unblemished and very positive.

OBJ did not have any ideas nor skills to lead a supermarket. He was a bully dictator, who listened to no one but the birds. He's still responsible for all the negative forces Nigerians in general are currently experiencing daily (including Yar'Adua's administration).
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by JustGood(m): 6:23pm On Feb 27, 2009
Big B1, please go back to bed.

Some of us are old enough to know that Badamosi developed the atmosphere which made OBJ what he became.
Badamosi developed the biggest problem Nigeria has today - CORRUPTION.
Badamosi's name in governance is synonymous with corruption.

Please spare us your stories and lines. . . we are all not that stupid.

Badamosi Babangida was the devil's gift to Nigeria.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Jaylon(m): 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2009
OBJ is 1000 times better than IBB (though he is not a saint)

1. How many phone lines were in Nigeria (esp GSM) in 1999 when OBJ took office ? How about 2007 when he left ?

2. How many private universities were in Nigeria in 1999 when OBJ took office ? How about 2007 when he left ?

We are complaining that only 200,000 of 1,000,000 UME candidates get admission into universities. Without all
the private universities licensed by OBJ, what would the figure have been ?

3. Bank consolidation and recapitilization

It is not that we have not had bright CBN governors in the past like soludo, the problem is the political will. Do you think
IBB would've agreed to the 25 billion naira recapitalization by banks ? The credit goes to OBJ fair and square

4. OBJ established the National Pension Commission - Pecom

5. OBJ formed the EFCC.

6. OBJ had more women in top positions than any other head of state.

7. OBJ cleaned up abuja and largely restored it to its original master plan

8. He formed the Niger Delta Development Commission - NDDC

Thirteen percent (13%) derivation for oil producing states

9. OBJ passed laws allowing the inclusion of private firms in power generation

10. We were owing over $30 billion in 1999, now we owe around $5 billion (paid our foreign debt)

11. OBJ met $3 billion in reserves in 1999 and left over $40 billion in reserves in 2007.

12. OBJ increased civil servants' salaries tremendously.

A full professor now makes a minimum of N 2,485,099 per annum. See the ad at UNAAB:

http://www.unaab.edu.ng/jobacademics.php

What was the amount in 1999 when OBJ took office ?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 8:21pm On Feb 27, 2009
All I'm saying is, the possibilities of doing great things and becoming an incredible leader were more visible during OBJ 1999 era, if it is effectively compared to IBB era.
OBJ has 100% unity of the nation and the advancement of technology was also in his favour.

FYI: GSM was absolutely not OBJ's idea.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by dangermous: 8:46pm On Feb 27, 2009
I just want to know how Babangida seems to have acquired a reputation for brilliance.

I remember him constructing the most most pretentious and anti intellectual transition programme known to mankind.

It went thus- the prominent democracy in the world has a conservative and liberal/social democratic line of division. I as military ruler will import wholesale this party system and not only that, write their constitutions as well to fit my idea of the issues around which the nation's politics be based.

Absolutely pathetic.

Now to the corruption. . . .
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 9:06pm On Feb 27, 2009
My man, the topic doesn't say express or display your hatred for IBB; it says, IBB vs OBJ.
Why not start a topic of your own?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 27, 2009
Although i was a baby when babangida ruled, i thought he was the best president or head of state Nigeria has had for a long time.
IBB was popularly called maradona due to the way he went about his business. Unlike OBJ, IBB does not come across as authoritative and bossy. I dont know about you guys but 'Chop I Chop' was also used to qualify and describe him. There were people who suffered back then but majority of Nigerians still had money in their pockets unlike OBJ's regime
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by bawomolo(m): 9:38pm On Feb 27, 2009
FYI: GSM was absolutely not OBJ's idea.

but he implemented it. as for the guy who said OBJ can't take credit for the success of NAFDAC or the stock exchange, Isn't OBJ responsible for hiring Akinyuli and Mama stock exchange.  I thought part of being a leader is surrounding yourself with the right people?

Isn't IBB responsible for the devaluation of the naira and the structural adjustment programs of the 80's? OBJ is no saint but he is miles ahead of IBB.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 9:40pm On Feb 27, 2009
Jaylon:

OBJ is 1000 times better than IBB  (though he is not a saint)

1. How many phone lines were in Nigeria (esp GSM) in 1999 when OBJ took office ? How about 2007 when he left ?

2. How many private universities were in Nigeria in 1999 when OBJ took office ? How about 2007 when he left ?

We are complaining that only 200,000 of 1,000,000 UME candidates get admission into universities. Without all
the private universities licensed by OBJ, what would the figure have been ?

3. Bank consolidation and recapitilization

It is not that we have not had bright CBN governors in the past like soludo, the problem is the political will. Do you think
IBB would've agreed to the 25 billion naira recapitalization by banks ? The credit goes to OBJ fair and square

4. OBJ established the National Pension Commission - Pecom

5. OBJ formed the EFCC.

6. OBJ had more women in top positions than any other head of state.

7. OBJ cleaned up abuja and largely restored it to its original master plan

8. He formed the Niger Delta Development Commission - NDDC

Thirteen percent (13%) derivation for oil producing states

9. OBJ passed laws allowing the inclusion of private firms in power generation

10. We were owing over $30 billion in 1999, now we owe around $5 billion (paid our foreign debt)

11. OBJ met $3 billion in reserves in 1999 and left over $40 billion in reserves in 2007.

12. OBJ increased civil servants' salaries tremendously.

A full professor now makes a minimum of N 2,485,099 per annum. See the ad at UNAAB:

http://www.unaab.edu.ng/jobacademics.php

What was the amount in 1999 when OBJ took office ?

OBJ wasnt the brain behind GSM, it was IBB, and any fool cld have been the leader and still see an increase in the number of GSM lines.
With all the private University, what has happened to what the common citizens can afford, how many nigerians can afford the tution for the universities, at least in the time of IBB, Most school out of Nigeria respect Nigerians brain while during the time of OBJ, pple were told to go and write ESL exam, what a slap on nigerians face, with all out grammer.
Bank Consolidation has helped the poor masses by what and with what, what has been the effect of bank conso to the Mama kunle on oshodi road.
With the national Pension plan, tell me why all the pensionaires are still have problem collecting their money - i will admit dont know too much about that scheme.
Mention to me 2 achievement of EFCC, apart from chasing the small boys around all in the name of 419 and leaving the bigger 419 in office, they have made so much noise and no conviction or conviction with nothing to show for it.
OBJ has more women in top position and i guess that explains what happened btw him and his daughter in law.
Pvt firm in power generation, and where is the power that has been generated?
OBJ Paid down the loan, waoh, that is nice, how much did he borrow when he was in office as a military man and what did he do with the money, so i will not say he did jack, he only undo some of the mess he created.
Increase the salary, that is nice, however, the pay rate was still under the poverty rate of the world.

I will admit, OBJ change the salary, however, is it equivalent to what inflation is talking about? not at all.
My point is this, if IBB is given another 8 years to make ammendment, he will do way better than that guy called OBJ.
OBJ and IBB both created so much mess in Nigeria that history will never judge them well, however, give IBB another 8 years in office as a democratically elected president, and i am sure, Nigeria will be dancing afterwards.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 9:43pm On Feb 27, 2009
but he implemented it
You're wrong!
OBJ even attempted to sabotage the idea of implementing GSM.

Why do you think more than ***************** stocks of ********* belong to OBJ?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2009
Big B1:

You're wrong!
OBJ even attempted to sabotage the idea of implementing GSM.

Why do you think more than ***************** stocks of ********* belong to OBJ?

\
Everything that OBJ has done are all things that will favour him and his cohort.
I will love to know how many stocks he owns
I will like to know how many certificate to operate University he has and his cliques
I will like to know how many banks he controls, and how the consolidation would have helped him
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 10:01pm On Feb 27, 2009
give IBB another 8 years in office as a democratically elected president, and i am sure, Nigeria will be dancing afterwards.
WOW!

The best point so far on this forum.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by mustafar1: 10:13pm On Feb 27, 2009
i said earlier that this is like comparing oranges to tangerine.

for the sake of healthy argument, lets base our argument on how their policies affected raji the vulcanizer, sikuru the welder, shaki the omo elewa. stop all this bank consolidation this (that reminds me of kwam1's hit song by the way) gsm that, and all the other bull crap being used as cornerstones for arguments.

how did the everyday citizen faired during these times.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 10:16pm On Feb 27, 2009
must_a_far:

i said earlier that this is like comparing oranges to tangerine.

for the sake of healthy argument, lets base our argument on how their policies affected raji the vulcanizer, sikuru the welder, shaki the omo elewa. stop all this bank consolidation this (that reminds me of kwam1's hit song by the way) gsm that, and all the other bull crap being used as cornerstones for arguments.

how has the everyday citizen faired during these times.

Thank you for that comment, the nonsense of GSM, you cant even call Nigeria and be sure yuo wikll get your folks, the damn dumb GSM is so terrible, only in Nigeria will some carrier be charging for such a lemon service, Call Ghana and na one time.
If we need to compare, i will rather compare the administration of OBJ as Military to that of IBB, cos IBB was never back in office to redo his mess like OBJ was given a chance.
Look at how handsome IBB is sef and see how wowoic OBJ is.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by mustafar1: 10:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Thank you for that comment, the nonsense of GSM, you cant even call Nigeria and be sure yuo wikll get your folks, the damn dumb GSM is so terrible, only in Nigeria will some carrier be charging for such a lemon service, Call Ghana and na one time.
If we need to compare, i will rather compare the administration of OBJ as Military to that of IBB, cos IBB was never back in office to redo his mess like OBJ was given a chance.

you wan make them declare u wanted.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 10:19pm On Feb 27, 2009

I honestly like this guy.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 10:25pm On Feb 27, 2009
We are asked to judge 2 students (student A and B).

Student A took the exam once, but student B took the same exam twice (if not 3 times). Now, how could you judge these two students effectively?

I will be proud to make my judgement in 2015.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by JJYOU: 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
they are both a disgrace to humanity. i cant believe some people are here defending 2 thieves and morally bankrupt people.  who told you they gave Nigeria GSM?  is gsm free to nigerians?

how many years did these 2 idiots rule and destroyed nigeria?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 10:36pm On Feb 27, 2009
JJYOU:

they are both a disgrace to humanity. i cant believe some people are here defending 2 thieves and morally bankrupt people.  who told you they gave Nigeria GSM?  is gsm free to nigerians?

how many years did these 2 idiots rule and destroyed nigeria?

One is a lesser devil.
Big B1:

I honestly like this guy.

Thanks, i am always your fan
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by dangermous: 11:17pm On Feb 27, 2009
Lol. Someone is actually advocating 8 more years for Babangida. What shamelessness.

This man was responsible for the desolate Abacha years, and you want to hand him another chance.

Is this country devoid of any qualified persons that we have to recycle failures?

At least Obasanjo twice handed over power, imperfect as both times have been. That puts him miles ahead of that Niger golddigger who thinks himself an academic.

Ewu Mongoose
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Jaylon(m): 11:33pm On Feb 27, 2009
Fhemmmy:

OBJ wasnt the brain behind GSM, it was IBB, and any fool cld have been the leader and still see an increase in the number of GSM lines.

I didn't ask who was the brain behind GSM, I said how many lines were there in 1999 compared to 2007 ?
OBJ's administration created the largest amount of phone lines in the history of Nigeria

Fhemmmy:

With all the private University, what has happened to what the common citizens can afford, how many nigerians can afford the tution for the universities,

The public universities are still cheap. The private ones are for the ones that can afford it.
Despite the price of private universities, there is still not enough room to accept students.

The private unis are paid for and full to the brim.

It was wise for OBJ to create private universities for those who can afford them to attend.

Fhemmmy:

at least in the time of IBB, Most school out of Nigeria respect Nigerians brain while during the time of OBJ, pple were told to go and write ESL exam, what a slap on nigerians face, with all out grammer.

The rot in the school system was Abacha's fault, not OBJ's. Abacha failed to subsidize higher education because he said
the students were always rioting and against his government. OBJ spent a tremendous time trying to correct the
brain drain caused by Abacha by increasing their wages as I previously noted.

Fhemmmy:

Bank Consolidation has helped the poor masses by what and with what, what has been the effect of bank conso to the Mama kunle on oshodi road.

Bank consolidation has kept the system from collapsing, it was near collapse because most of the 89 banks at the time
were seriously distressed.

Mama kunle on oshodi road has benefited because her money in the bank is safe; she has not been told that she cannot
make a withdrawal of her funds. Prior to the consolidation, we were heading in this direction.

Fhemmmy:

With the national Pension plan, tell me why all the pensionaires are still have problem collecting their money - i will admit dont know too much about that scheme.

The national pension plan was not created to pay the backlog of pensioners. It was created to let deductions be made from people's
pay check and some of the proceeds invested in the market. We never had anything like this in Nigeria prior to the OBJ administration

Fhemmmy:

Mention to me 2 achievement of EFCC, apart from chasing the small boys around all in the name of 419 and leaving the bigger 419 in office, they have made so much noise and no conviction or conviction with nothing to show for it.

1. Former IG of police Tafa Balogun had to refund the money he stole to the govt, his property was confiscated and he did jail time.

2. In 2005 Rear Admirals Francis Agbiti and Samuel Kolawole were court-marshalled and sacked for allowing the tanker African Pride to escape the navy port in Lagos.

Fhemmmy:

OBJ has more women in top position and i guess that explains what happened btw him and his daughter in law.

The daughter in law has nothing to do with this thread. We are talking about his performance vs. IBB

Fhemmmy:

Pvt firm in power generation, and where is the power that has been generated?

If Yar'adua had followed up from where he left off, we would've been better off today.

Fhemmmy:

OBJ Paid down the loan, waoh, that is nice,

Thanks for admitting this. Yes it is really nice and a great accomplishment of his.

Fhemmmy:

how much did he borrow when he was in office as a military man and what did he do with the money[/b],

Why don't you tell us undecided

Fhemmmy:

i will not say he did jack, he only undo some of the mess he created.

But you just said he paid off the nations debt and it was nice of him undecided

Fhemmmy:

Increase the salary, that is nice

Again, thanks for admitting that he increased the prof's salary and that it was "nice"

Fhemmmy:

however, the pay rate was still under the poverty rate of the world.

The pay rate is not under the poverty rate of the world. The poverty rate as prescribed
by the UN is less that $2 US a day. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Fhemmmy:

I will admit, OBJ change the salary, however, is it equivalent to what inflation is talking about? not at all.

Prove it. Let's see the numbers. What was the inflation rate in 1999 ? in 2007 ?
What was the salary in 1999 ? in 2007 ?

Don't just make unsubstantiated claims. Back up your assertions with numbers.

Fhemmmy:

My point is this, if IBB is given another 8 years to make ammendment, he will do way better than that guy called OBJ.

My point is, IBB ruled for 8 years and OBJ ruled for around 11 years (3 + cool. They had enough time to perform
All your give IBB another 8 years (making it 16 years ) is plain nonsense

Fhemmmy:

OBJ and IBB both created so much mess in Nigeria that history will never judge them well, however, give IBB another 8 years in office as a democratically elected president, and i am sure, Nigeria will be dancing afterwards.

Why didn't Nigeria dance after IBB's first 8 years ?

So IBB has to rule Nigeria for another 8 years (16 years) in order to perform ? Pitiful

I wrote a list of what OBJ accomplished. Why not do the same for your IBB
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Naijex: 1:47am On Feb 28, 2009
Paddy Paddy Govt

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by naijaking1: 3:22am On Feb 28, 2009
IBB is metastatic cancer, while OBJ is a small pimple. embarassed
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by udezue(m): 4:34am On Feb 28, 2009
IBB was better. Both evil men tho.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by olanajim(m): 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2009
Obj is the best among them and is still the best so far, his shortcomings notwithstanding!
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 6:25pm On Feb 28, 2009
olanajim:

Obj is the best among them and is still the best so far, his shortcomings notwithstanding!

Thank you and please tell Fhemmmy

@ Fhemmmy

I'm not from Ogun State but compare OBJ and Ya'radua (baba go slow)
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2009
OBJ develop Nigeria only based on international respect but he make Nigeria sucks more
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Afam(m): 8:52pm On Feb 28, 2009
Jaylon:

I didn't ask who was the brain behind GSM, I said how many lines were there in 1999 compared to 2007 ?
OBJ's administration created the largest amount of phone lines in the history of Nigeria

Thanks for taking time to respond to many disjointed and unwarranted comments by Fhemmmy.

OBJ performed far better than IBB and only myopic and heavily biased Nigerians think otherwise.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by MrCrackles(m): 9:00pm On Feb 28, 2009
Both of them are scums of the earth who dont deserve more than a place next to lucifer in the most intensely burning part of hell fire!
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 28, 2009
if OBJ had pulled himself together and gotten those power stations online before he left office, i think nigerians would eventually have forgiven his excesses
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by TOYOSI20(f): 10:05pm On Feb 28, 2009
I'll rather go for baba Iyabo abeg!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by jamace(m): 9:59am On Mar 01, 2009
IBB sacked the best military government (Buhari - Idiagbon regime) in Nigeria and IBB annulled the fairest pesidential election in Nigeria. For this 2 gross offences, am against him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHCN Workers Move To Disrupt Electricity Supply / ''we Stole Your Money And Gave You 20 Pounds'' A Yoruba Caller On Radio Biafra / Did I Just Receive Money From Federal Government?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.