Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing (8881 Views)

Helen Oritsejafor Lies On The Rug In Church As Choristers Sing (p / "Don’t Bring Stolen Money To My Church As Offering!" - Sarah Omakwu / Tongue Of Fire Restoration Ministry Pastor In Sex Scandal (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by WinsomeX: 11:59am On Jun 26, 2015
The tithes and offerings mentioned in Malachi 3 is not the same tithes and offerings collected in our churches today.

1. The tithes of Malachi 3 was meat or food:

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house...

And scriptures informs us what this food items were:

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD... 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

These food items were agricultural products: fruit of the tree, seed of the ground and tenth of the herd.

The tithe of Malachi 3 was not money, talk less salary.

2. The offerings of Malachi 3 was not money either. This is what the Levitical offerings consisted of:

Leviticus 7:37 This is the law of the burnt offering, of the meat offering, and of the sin offering, and of the trespass offering, and of the consecrations, and of the sacrifice of the peace offerings;

This verse comes at the close of God's instructions to Moses after enacting the levitical offerings. It offers us quick summary of what their offerings were. There is no "money" offering among any. What the church gives in the name of offerings could best be called collections, 1 Corinthians 16:1-2. No one collected offerings talk less tithes in the New Testament. At most they collected a "collection" for a purpose and after that purpose was met, everyone kept their monies to themselves.

Modern tithing is a perversion of the Christian gospel and the practice should be discontinued with.

If however anyone feels the best way to honor God is to give a tenth of his income, he has not sinned. However, the church should encourage free will purposeful giving and not mandatory legalistic tithing and offerings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Gombs(m): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
WinsomeX:
The tithes and offerings mentioned in Malachi 3 is not the same tithes and offerings collected in our churches today.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house...

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD... 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

These food items were agricultural products: fruit of the tree, seed of the ground and tenth of the herd.

2. The offerings of Malachi 3 was not money either. This is what the Levitical offerings consisted of:

Leviticus 7:37 This is the law of the burnt offering, of the meat offering, and of the sin offering, and of the trespass offering, and of the consecrations, and of the sacrifice of the peace offerings;

This verse comes at the close of God's instructions to Moses after enacting the levitical offerings. It offers us quick summary of what their offerings were. There is no "money" offering among any. What the church gives in the name of offerings could best be called collections, 1 Corinthians 16:1-2. No one collected offerings talk less tithes in the New Testament. At most they collected a "collection" for a purpose and after that purpose was met, everyone kept their monies to themselves.

come on buddy...don't you get tired of sounding funny?

Modern tithing is a perversion of the Christian gospel and the practice should be discontinued with.

hehehehhehehehe... the church wil keep marching on...tithes are here to stay, shey i showed you pics of Fidelity Bank ATM, such that you can pay your tithe via ATMs? ..the church has left you and your crew behind to keep dragging whether it's meat or food.

If however anyone feels the best way to honor God is to give a tenth of his income, he has not sinned.

Nice way of sugar coating it....Tithes are God's... you give it because God asked for it..it is not optional, however, like salvation, you cannot force all man to accept it... oya start a debate that i compared tithing and salvation... tag it WoF too grin grin

However, the church should encourage free will purposeful giving and not mandatory legalistic tithing and offerings.

what church? i keep asking...what has thou done to the body of Christ since you have a concise knowledge of how it show be? undecided
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by jcross19: 3:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
Mathew 25 vs 35 to 37 : for I was an hungred, and you gave me food,I was thirsty,you gave me drink;I was a stranger you took me in.36) naked , you clothed me;I was sicked, you visited, I was in prison and you came for me. Please is there any where JESUS said I blessed you but you robbed me with your tithes?. Mathew 25vs35-36 have cleared what jesus need from us and to be sincere tithe is not christian doctrine but it was adopted by one pope when they were building vatican is a means of getting revenue to build the city called vatican. I think tithes is personal issue between you and God . Is a means that we can use to promote the gospel. But is not mandatory and if your personal conviction don't support tithing then find another means to reach out the less privilege ones. But in all is good to tithe to support God work and if you can't find another means .
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by vooks: 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
ayoku777:

Where is tithing mentioned in all the scriptures you quoted?

We are to give not tithe. We should give to pastors and the poor, family and loved ones, to the kingdom and to good courses. But not tithe.

That's what we are saying. Why are they bent on calling it tithe? Why can they just say believers should give.

The moment you call it tithe, then it is a law. Because tithing is not freewill. If you don't tithe, you are under a curse.

Tithing is not applicable to the new testament believer. We give.

All those verses you quoted are giving, not tithing. Don't call them tithe.

We christians learn giving from God, not through the law. God is a giver, giving is His nature. When I give, I'm not learning from Moses, I'm learning from Jesus.

Giving for the believer is an outworking of the love of God shed abroad in our hearts by the Spirit. We are not borrowing it from Moses.

There is no tithing in the new covenant. Priests don't pay tithe, they give. Pastors should preach giving, period!
Think about this;

1 Corinthians 9:14-15 English Standard Version (ESV)

14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting.

What/who did God command? Is it not the body of Christ? This clear command entitles Paul to some rights.

So while amounts,frequency and nature are not specified unlike under OT,supporting ministers is a commandment.

Supporting ministry is not something you indulge in whenever you suffer from some occasional bouts of magnanimity; it is a commandment from YHWH, from Jesus Christ. To this extent it is as a commandment as tithing

1 Like

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by vooks: 8:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
Gombs:

shall we wait for the anti tithe crusaders? smiley wink
My broda,
Given tithing in the OT is far from the weightier things of the law, we should not have pro and anti-tithing jihadis.

I wrote and angry book 'exposing the tithing scam'. Then I thought really hard about whether such a non-issue deserves such fury.

Not worth it. Let believers tithe if they will. All I do is engage those close to me on the subject wherever and whenever.

And it gets a tad boring repeating the same arguments over and over.

Fact remains,
There is extremely weak exegetical basis for tithing in Christianity. The pro-tithing brigade make up for this by emotional appeal and blackmail and frequent extra-biblical 'revelations'.' God showed me','God said to me'......'how can you be so mean as to keep everything you were given to yourself?'

The anti-tithing gang overcompensate this by despising the principles that could be gleaned from the practice.

My high school uniform had navy blue trousers. Years in the uniform made me hate the color so much that I have only had one navy blue suit in my life and I gave it away years ago.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by daroz(m): 8:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
vooks:

My broda,
Given tithing in the OT is far from the weightier things of the law, we should not have pro and anti-tithing jihadis.

I wrote and angry book 'exposing the tithing scam'. Then I thought really hard about whether such a non-issue deserves such fury.

Not worth it. Let believers tithe if they will. All I do is engage those close to me on the subject wherever and whenever.

And it gets a tad boring repeating the same arguments over and over.

Fact remains,
There is extremely weak exegetical basis for tithing in Christianity. The pro-tithing brigade make up for this by emotional appeal and blackmail and frequent extra-biblical 'revelations'.' God showed me','God said to me'......'how can you be so mean as to keep everything you were given to yourself?'

The anti-tithing gang overcompensate this by despising the principles that could be gleaned from the practice.

My high school uniform had navy blue trousers. Years in the uniform made me hate the color so much that I have only had one navy blue suit in my life and I gave it away years ago.
Pls, what exactly is ur point?
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by TheShopKeeper(m): 11:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
Please just for clarification, are we meant to tithe on the income we receive before tax or tithe on the amount after tax?
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by WinsomeX: 3:56am On Jun 27, 2015
TheShopKeeper:
Please just for clarification, are we meant to tithe on the income we receive before tax or tithe on the amount after tax?

You are NOT meant to tithe at all!

2 Likes

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by vooks: 4:35am On Jun 27, 2015
daroz:

Pls, what exactly is ur point?
Pls,can you read English?
1. Tithing in the scriptures is a very minor point of the Law as Jesus taught sso it's not really worth plucking your hair over
2. Christian tithing has no scriptural basis. Elsewhere I called it a tradition and not a doctrine because of this
3. Tithing has some benefits usually missed by its opponents
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by vooks: 6:50am On Jun 27, 2015
Gombs:

what church? i keep asking...what has thou done to the body of Christ since you have a concise knowledge of how it show be? undecided
Good question applicable not just to Winsomex but all of us. It is quite easy to point out wrongs that to effectively execute your 'right' way
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Gombs(m): 1:33pm On Jun 27, 2015
TheShopKeeper:

Tithe of all thy increase... It's a faith thing you know?
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by daroz(m): 7:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
vooks:

Pls,can you read English?
1. Tithing in the scriptures is a very minor point of the Law as Jesus taught sso it's not really worth plucking your hair over
2. Christian tithing has no scriptural basis. Elsewhere I called it a tradition and not a doctrine because of this
3. Tithing has some benefits usually missed by its opponents

Still, I don't get your point. Are you encouraging it or against it?
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by WinsomeX: 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
daroz:

What exactly and at what point do you need enlightenment on this tithe matter? Just state it maybe in a question format and let's see how we can help you. Most people need to be taught about tithing after so much lies have been sold out on it.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Scream(m): 10:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
Are we not co-workers in His vineyard? How come certain people claim that responsibility and make others onlookers so they can have RIGHT to a tenth of their brothers' income?

Do we still need priests that "minister at the altar" after the curtains has been torn for all to have access? What other needs do we have for the priesthood that serves in the altar when the lamb of God has been sacrificed?

Did the Apostles collect tithe? How come church leaders now collect it?

How did they fund the gospel?

How did the 70 Jesus sent on mission work fund the gospel?

My point is this: you should carry your bible and face the supreme task of spreading the gospel...doing good, healing the sick. Be sold out to the work of your Father...both the tithe payers and tithe takers have on thing in common...lust!

4 Likes

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Gombs(m): 11:08pm On Jun 28, 2015
^^
You just showed the world you don't even know your Bible.

A quick quiz please...

How does a church pay salaries?
Renovation and repairs?
New acquisitions?
New buildings?
Charity?
Crusades? Etc

Offerings?... shocked : How much do you even give? Offerings and tithes at times is not even enough for the work... God still send folks with monies... Because His work must be done.

Let me just slide to the background... And read
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by misreal(m): 12:05am On Jun 29, 2015
daroz:
That's all for the chat for now. As stated in the chat, I will love someone to convince me on this tithe issue, I want to be sure I am not doing the thing by not paying.
you don't have a working relationship with the holy ghost that is why you think paying of tithe is wrong.quoting scriptures to convince you will not help you,so all I can say is,if you don't want to find out that you are wrong on the last day and that you have robbed God,please deepen your relationship with the holy ghost and let him teach you....
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by misreal(m): 12:08am On Jun 29, 2015
Scream:
Are we not co-workers in His vineyard? How come certain people claim that responsibility and make others onlookers so they can have RIGHT to a tenth of their brothers' income?

Do we still need priests that "minister at the altar" after the curtains has been torn for all to have access? What other needs do we have for the priesthood that serves in the altar when the lamb of God has been sacrificed?

Did the Apostles collect tithe? How come church leaders now collect it?

How did they fund the gospel?

How did the 70 Jesus sent on mission work fund the gospel?

My point is this: you should carry your bible and face the supreme task of spreading the gospel...doing good, healing the sick. Be sold out to the work of your Father...both the tithe payers and tithe takers have on thing in common...lust!
mtchwwww....remember what happened to Ananias and saphira..
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by daroz(m): 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2015
misreal:
mtchwwww....remember what happened to Ananias and saphira..
That has nothing to do with tithe. infact that should be a topic for another day.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by misreal(m): 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2015
daroz:

That has nothing to do with tithe. infact that should be a topic for another day.
OK oh..your problem though.the tithe I pay didn't come from your pocket nor did any other persons tithe came from your pocket,so I don't see why you try to discourage people from obeying God's command..don't worry,since you don't want the truth I pray your eyes be opened before the last day else you will nearly kill the person that thought against tithing..Lol..
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
Op

You are right, xtians are not required to tithe. However your pastor was correct by saying that Jesus didn't condemn tithing while talking to those pharisees.

Some could convert there tithe to money instead of farm produce, but this had to be added fifth.

When the distance to Jerusalem is far, people can make there tithe to be monetary. So ur pastor could be right somehow on that.

Show respect when airing ur view to ur pastor, this would help him to speak more. if not, he could live u with ur error assuming ur were wrong.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by vooks: 1:52pm On Jun 29, 2015
daroz:

Am indifferent
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by An2elect2(f): 2:06pm On Jun 29, 2015
daroz:
That's all for the chat for now. As stated in the chat, I will love someone to convince me on this tithe issue, I want to be sure I am not doing the thing by not paying.

Blessed are you who have been given insight. Hold on to this truth that you know. Let no man deceive you !
Heb 7:11
If therefore perfection were by the Levitical
priesthood, (for under it the people received
the law,) what further need was there that
another priest should rise after the order of
Melchisedec, and not be called after the order
of Aaron?

Eph 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even
the law of commandments contained in
ordinances; for to make in himself of twain
one new man, so making peace;

2cor 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his
heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of
necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by An2elect2(f): 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
WinsomeX:

If however anyone feels the best way to honor God is to give a tenth of his income, he has not sinned. However, the church should encourage free will purposeful giving and not mandatory legalistic tithing and offerings.

Amen brother !
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by WinsomeX: 7:35pm On Jun 29, 2015
Gombs:
^^

A quick quiz please...

Renovation and repairs?
New acquisitions?
New buildings?
Charity?
Crusades? Etc

The real question should be: how did Jesus and his apostles do these things, if they did them at all, without collecting tithes and offering?

3 Likes

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by daroz(m): 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
WinsomeX:

The real question should be: how did Jesus and his apostles do these things, if they did them at all, without collecting tithes and offering?
Good
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Scream(m): 3:39pm On Jul 11, 2015
Gombs:
^^

A quick quiz please...

Renovation and repairs?
New acquisitions?
New buildings?
Charity?
Crusades? Etc

Offerings?... shocked : How much do you even give? Offerings and tithes at times is not even enough for the work... God still send folks with monies... Because His work must be done.

Let me just slide to the background... And read

Why didn't Jesus Christ collect your tithe to do all you mentioned?! Show me in the bible (you that is bible grandmaster) where the early Christians collected tithe to do the work of God.
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Scream(m): 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
WinsomeX:

God bless you...
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by emmyileri(m): 10:22am On Mar 25, 2022
daroz:
Please watch the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5pohoxXcV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWX105K1rU
Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by emmyileri(m): 10:23am On Mar 25, 2022
Tithe is scripture based in the new testament.. Proof watch the video below. Please contact for questions and enquiry is there

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by emmyileri(m): 10:25am On Mar 25, 2022
WinsomeX:

You can't conclude just like that because the church hasn't been founded yet except after Christ's resurrection

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 6:18pm On Mar 25, 2022

You are 100% correct ojare. Church tithing is the biggest fraud in the history of mankind angry

Re: My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing by Wakeupchristian: 6:48pm On Mar 25, 2022
daroz:
Pls Bible scholars, go through and contribute meaningfully with fact, I need to learn more.

Please refer to my Post titled "FALSIFIED TEACHINGS OF CHRIST-TITHE" made on 18/2/2020. I think it will help you a great deal.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are You Thanking God For Nigeria At 62? / Why Did The Vatican Remove 14 Books From The Bible In 1684? / How To Be The Apostle Paul Of Our Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.