Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,282 members, 7,829,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps (4290 Views)

Bigadier-General Sule Zakari Is Director-General Of NYSC Now (Photo) / PDP Will Return In 2019 - Abdullahi Maibasira, PDP National Youth Leader / Fuel Scarcity: Blame FG For Your Suffering, Marketers Tell Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2009
did you know that the statics shows that not less than 200 NYSC members lost their lives in the process of serving their Nation, yet the job availability after a year of National slavery is not even 5% guaranteed. what happen to the family that spent so much money on their children on the account of coming back to take care of them, and what they recieve as trophy for their long awaiting effort is the grave of their children. if this service is enjoyable as many thought, tell me where does Yar'Adua's sons or daughters serve, or other notable Nigeria leaders yet their sons and daughters work in a reputable offices. Arise oh Nigerian youths and students for your right, arise oh the sons and daughters of the common masses. arise i said for the movement towards the emergence of NEW NIGERIA. NEW DAY NEW HOPE!
do you still support NYSC or not? post your opinion
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by tboy1(m): 6:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
There are more than 40 million ppl unemployed in Nigeria - Quoted by World Bank
I'm very sure this figure is higher and a great % of those unemployed are graduates who's gone through the shitty NYSC.
NYSC should be scrapped!!!

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by abes(m): 6:50am On Feb 28, 2009
Scrapped i'll say. I'm currently serving, it's just a waste of time and brain.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by jamace(m): 10:18am On Feb 28, 2009
Yes. It will remove your classroom/paper mentality and put the Nigerian reality in you . So do it. angry
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Jarus(m): 1:15pm On Feb 28, 2009
The most adventurous/challenging period in my life was my service year in Sokoto state, 2007-2008.
I support the programme continues, or at most, be made optional.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by dayokanu(m): 1:26pm On Feb 28, 2009
National Year of Sex and Comfort should continue. Dont miss it
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by FBS: 3:17pm On Feb 28, 2009
Its not totally useless to be honest. The scheme has its own numerous benefits.
-It gives you a starting point after graduation
-Work experience and sometimes full time job
-you get to see different cities of your country
-you get to meet different people (some people do actually meet their future husbands and wives).
- It gives you a sense of belonging
-The allawi maybe small but it is still something.

If properly managed/upgraded, me thinks it is a very nice idea. One thing I never liked though was the uniform. . .it was just horrible.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by ojubi(m): 9:52am On Mar 01, 2009
A copper friend of mine that study computer science in university of calabar was killed by a vehicle in yola on Wednesday last week. As i am typing this thread his burial is taking place in the village.
To hell with NYSC.
To hell with the initiators of this lifetaking programme.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by jamace(m): 10:11am On Mar 01, 2009
A copper friend of mine that study computer science in university of calabar was killed by a vehicle in yola on Wednesday last week. As i am typing this thread his burial is taking place in the village.
To hell with NYSC.
To hell with the initiators of this lifetaking programme.

Very childish excuse. Vehicles have killed people right inside their houses. Because of this, we should ban vehicles in Nigeria, is that what you mean?
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by MaiSuya(m): 11:04am On Mar 01, 2009
those calling for a ban of NYSC, what better solution will you proffer in its stead? Or should graduates fresh from uni, most likely with pockets completely drained, begin to wander to and fro in search of opportunities? whether we admit it or not, NYSC does provides some small coins - certainly not substantial, but just sufficient - to 'hold body' until something else comes along.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Nobody: 10:51pm On Mar 01, 2009
FBS:

Its not totally useless to be honest. The scheme has its own numerous benefits.
-It gives you a starting point after graduation
-Work experience and sometimes full time job
-you get to see different cities of your country
-you get to meet different people (some people do actually meet their future husbands and wives).
- It gives you a sense of belonging
-The allawi maybe small but it is still something.

If properly managed/upgraded, me thinks it is a very nice idea. One thing I never liked though was the uniform. . .it was just horrible.

Reasons quoted above are not good enough for NYSC to continue

-If i need to see the shit hole cities in Nigeria, i'll buy a plane ticket
- If i couldn't find a wife/husband while in college and NEED NYSC to do this, i must be a sore loooooser.

Okay, my solution to the NYSC scheme.

I heard that it costs the govt about 1 MILLION NAIRA to take care of a youth corper each yr, . ONE F.UCKING MILLION NAIRA
I propose tha the scheme be scrapped and the govt should give every graduating student one MILLION naira after graduation. This way they'll be able to set up small businesses and not have to be unemployed.
I mean, we're already (supposedly) spending the money on the graduates right? Scrap the damn thing and give the money to the graduates.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by MrCrackles(m): 10:55pm On Mar 01, 2009
I cant wait for NYSC to be scrapped and its remains burnt to ashes!
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by asha80(m): 11:04pm On Mar 01, 2009
I cant wait for NYSC to be scrapped and its remains burnt to ashes!

grin
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by abes(m): 8:05am On Mar 02, 2009
NYSC is waste of man power. I studied computer sc in school, and i'm teaching jss1 to 3 social studies all in the name of serving my nation. I'm i gaining anything?
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Jarus(m): 8:36am On Mar 02, 2009
abes:

NYSC is waste of man power. I studied computer sc in school, and i'm teaching jss1 to 3 social studies all in the name of serving my nation. I'm i gaining anything?
I studied Economics but NYSC Sokoto posted me to a remote Village to teach PHE in a secondary school. As if that was not bad enough,I was later reposted to an even more remote village to teach in primary school.

But that, to me, is still not even reason to scrap the scheme.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by FBS: 9:15am On Mar 02, 2009
A-town:

Reasons quoted above are not good enough for NYSC to continue

-If i need to see the shit hole cities in Nigeria, i'll buy a plane ticket
- If i couldn't find a wife/husband while in college and NEED NYSC to do this, i must be a sore loooooser.

Okay, my solution to the NYSC scheme.

I heard that it costs the govt about 1 MILLION NAIRA to take care of a youth corper each yr, . ONE F.UCKING MILLION NAIRA
I propose tha the scheme be scrapped and the govt should give every graduating student one MILLION naira after graduation. This way they'll be able to set up small businesses and not have to be unemployed.
I mean, we're already (supposedly) spending the money on the graduates right? Scrap the damn thing and give the money to the graduates.
amazing the way people reason.
-can everyone afford to get a plane ticket especially a new graduate who doesnt even know where to start from and has no shishi in his pocket?
meeting your future husband/wife during NYSC doesnt make you a sore looser. Tell that to those who met their spouses.
The NYSC has its (maybe even a lot) down sides, but if properly restructured, then it is a wonderful programe.
Are you aware that in some countries, a mandatory 2 yr army tranining is necessary. It may sound nice at first but believe me, it certainly isn't. Ask those who went through it.
-Give the money to graduates and they will do what with it. Lets be honest, a fresh graduate may not even know what to do with it.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 02, 2009
FBS:

amazing the way people reason.
-can everyone afford to get a plane ticket especially a new graduate who doesnt even know where to start from and has no shishi in his pocket?
meeting your future husband/wife during NYSC doesnt make you a sore looser. Tell that to those who met their spouses.
The NYSC has its (maybe even a lot) down sides, but if properly restructured, then it is a wonderful programe.
Are you aware that in some countries, a mandatory 2 yr army tranining is necessary. It may sound nice at first but believe me, it certainly isn't. Ask those who went through it.
-Give the money to graduates and they will do what with it. Lets be honest, a fresh graduate may not even know what to do with it.

Mr Man, did you miss out the word "I" in my statements. I don't expect everyone to be financially stable. I'm only stating that i don't need the NYSC to see various cities in Nigeria. If i am indeed that explorative/patriotic, i should be able to source funds to travel the country myself. NYSC should not be my excuse to see cities.
Same applies to the second statement. There's nothing wrong with meeting your future husband/wife at NYSC. My point is that this is not a good enough reason for the programme to continue. People will still find husbands/wives without the NYSC so your point holds no water.

Concerning my solution, stop being antagonistic jare.
The 1million naira on each corper is already being spent and yet only 5% of the corpers get jobs upon completion of the service yr.
Who the hell told you that graduates don't know what to do with the money. Do u know the advantages of equal distribution of wealth? Trust me, a whole bunch of small business ideas will crop up. Imagine if 1 million naira had been given to SEUN OSEWA prior to Nairaland. Maybe we could have had the next best thing since google in naija by now. (not saying Nairaland is not getting close ooo. lol. grin)

i repeat. Scrap the NYSC and give each corper ONE MILLION NAIRA. If they waste it, well who cares, they're already wasting the money anyways (by filling their bank accounts and claiming it costs one million to train a corper per yr). One thing i am sure of is that we will create a whole lot of entrepreneurs that will be self sufficient.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Wilfem(m): 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2009
I just finished my youth service in Abuja last Thursday and I'm in Total support of it's scrapping.
I was initially posted to the NYSC Headquaters in Maitama, Abuja, but I was among those rejected and you can imagine that, an NYSC organisation, HQ, rejecting it's own Corp members, embarassed embarassed cry cry so sad and shocking indeed. The worst part of it was that we were not given any "rejection" letter, we were just asked to go and report to the State HQ in Kubwa for reposting because they knew quite well that it'll be ridiculous of them, yet they kept on writing on the Dialies that no organisation should reject corp member. Isn't that a big shame? I'm in total support of it's scrapping, (if possible)
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by tboy1(m): 12:58pm On Mar 02, 2009
There is only one reason why NYSC will not be scrapped and its because its the only time ppl like
M.I Tsiga chop big time. If this ppl are not profiting from nysc , nysc would had been scrapped yrs ago or will not even exist
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Wilfem(m): 1:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
tboy1:

There is only one reason why NYSC will not be scrapped and its because its the only time ppl like
M.I Tsiga chop big time. If this ppl are not profiting from nysc , nysc would had been scrapped yrs ago or will not even exist
Yeah you got it. That's one big reason why it might be difficult to scrap because those military ppl and most of the NYSC top officials gets a lot of money from the scheme. (N1m indeed on a corper per service year) very greedy set of people.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 6:03pm On Mar 03, 2009
scrps or no scraps, it's time for all these oold cargoes to pack themselves out of aso rock and leave the government for us to run. the NATION belongs to youth why then, they are using our head
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by texazzpete(m): 6:18pm On Mar 03, 2009
What a bunch of whiners! Every single year we get a new lot of crybabies bemoaning their fate and whining about the Government scrapping NYSC.
The programme won't be scrapped anytime soon, so i suggest you settle down and do your best.

and for what it's worth, i graduated with an Elect/Elect Engineering degree yet was posted to teach for one whole bloody year in a village. I hated the experience, but i bore it. and that's 4 years ago!

There are things you can't change. Childish snivelling will not change a damn thing. Go back and work! grin
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 6:55pm On Mar 04, 2009
welcome a youth president 2011 and say bye bye to youth corps
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Gamine(f): 10:09pm On Mar 04, 2009
There is a huge outbreak of Lassa Fever in the North,

I have friends who were posted there. . .

You cant imagine, the anger i felt when i watched todays House sitting

And one so-called Hon saying that Lassa Fever is spreading because people are eating rats

No solution, no nothing, just stupid cheap unfunny jokes angry

Unnecessary Suffering with nonsense people leading. . .words don dry for my mouth o jare sad
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by mustafar1: 10:19pm On Mar 04, 2009
Gamine:

And one so-called Hon saying that Lassa Fever is spreading because people are eating rats

No solution, no nothing, just stupid cheap unfunny jokes angry

Unnecessary Suffering with nonsense people leading. . .words don dry for my mouth o jare sad

oh no he didnt! shocked shocked my question to him would have been. how many rats does one have to eat to catch lassa fever? awon alayi rori gbo gbo.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by jamace(m): 9:15am On Mar 05, 2009

No solution, no nothing, just stupid cheap unfunny jokes

Unnecessary Suffering with nonsense people leading. . .words don dry for my mouth o jare

Abeg, go check your dictionary for more words. I dey enjoy your contributions. grin grin
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by FBS: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2009
A-town:

Mr Man, did you miss out the word "I" in my statements. I don't expect everyone to be financially stable. I'm only stating that i don't need the NYSC to see various cities in Nigeria. If i am indeed that explorative/patriotic, i should be able to source funds to travel the country myself. NYSC should not be my excuse to see cities.
Same applies to the second statement. There's nothing wrong with meeting your future husband/wife at NYSC. My point is that this is not a good enough reason for the programme to continue. People will still find husbands/wives without the NYSC so your point holds no water.
What is this "I" "I" "I"? are you the only one living in Nigeria? why are you so self centered? why is everyone suprised that the nation is not moving forward when all we have are people like you, who are bent only over themselves?
Not everyone can source funds and the NYSC gives some people a focal point in life. It gives them a starting point. We have many folks in the banking sector who got posted to banks and were retained.
Once again, I say tell that to those who met their life partners during NYSC since you call them loosers.

A-town:

Concerning my solution, stop being antagonistic jare.
The 1million naira on each corper is already being spent and yet only 5% of the corpers get jobs upon completion of the service yr.
Who the hell told you that graduates don't know what to do with the money. Do u know the advantages of equal distribution of wealth? Trust me, a whole bunch of small business ideas will crop up. Imagine if 1 million naira had been given to SEUN OSEWA prior to Nairaland. Maybe we could have had the next best thing since google in naija by now. (not saying Nairaland is not getting close ooo. lol. grin)
i repeat. Scrap the NYSC and give each corper ONE MILLION NAIRA. If they waste it, well who cares, they're already wasting the money anyways (by filling their bank accounts and claiming it costs one million to train a corper per yr). One thing i am sure of is that we will create a whole lot of entrepreneurs that will be self sufficient.
What a solution you have proposed. very interesting.
how many Seun Osewas do we have? amazing. . .you can as well say the CBN should empty the nations account and distribute the money to the masses. Will that solve the problem of our country?
Look, boy, stop whining. Get on with it.
You probably missed what I am saying. The NYSC should be restructed, (rescaled, reassembled or whatever) to meet the needs of todays graduates, maybe then, you will be appreciate its usefullness.
The reasons I gave are just some and thus not limited to.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 05, 2009
FBS:

What is this "I" "I" "I"? are you the only one living in Nigeria? why are you so self centered? why is everyone suprised that the nation is not moving forward when all we have are people like you, who are bent only over themselves?
Not everyone can source funds and the NYSC gives some people a focal point in life. It gives them a starting point. We have many folks in the banking sector who got posted to banks and were retained.
Once again, I say tell that to those who met their life partners during NYSC since you call them loosers.
What a solution you have proposed. very interesting.
how many Seun Osewas do we have? amazing. . .you can as well say the CBN should empty the nations account and distribute the money to the masses. Will that solve the problem of our country?
Look, boy, stop whining. Get on with it.
You probably missed what I am saying. The NYSC should be restructed, (rescaled, reassembled or whatever) to meet the needs of todays graduates, maybe then, you will be appreciate its usefullness.
The reasons I gave are just some and thus not limited to.

Your analytical skills are questionable. You prefer to pick words rather than understand the point of my discuss.
I didn't miss anything. Na u no no wetin u dey yarn.
The NYSC was initiated to foster national unity amongst other things. Back then, there was no WWW, there were no gsm's e.t.c
Times have changed. No be by force. It has outlived it's usefulness.
Why restructure it, if the main reason it was established is no longer valid.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2009
NYSC: New Year of Suffering Commence, some may called it, but we can come into a stage of corruption free generation where individual will be proud of being called a graduate. we don't need to be graduating from 16 or 17 years of striving hard into another indefinite years of wallowing in more depressed moment after school. grow Nigerian, Grow our Youth, grow sons and daughters of the common masses, GROW NIGERIA GOVERNMENT.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by FBS: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2009
A-town:

Your analytical skills are questionable. You prefer to pick words rather than understand the point of my discuss.
I didn't miss anything. Na u no no wetin u dey yarn.
The NYSC was initiated to foster national unity amongst other things. Back then, there was no WWW, there were no gsm's e.t.c
Times have changed. No be by force. It has outlived it's usefulness.
Why restructure it, if the main reason it was established is no longer valid.
see who is talking? Out of all of the statements I made, this was all you were able to disseminate and wrongly for that matter. You decided to skip all other valid points for reason only you can explain.
Just because we now have WWW, GMS, according to you, there is simply no need to foster unity in the country?
boy you scare me and I'm done with you. Its a waste of time.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 2:27pm On Mar 07, 2009
as a matter of fact, many solution to our problem today have ate up and still eating by rats in the school labrary. what do i mean, project is not surpose to be meant for a grade only but to provide solution for any giving problems. so let the one million naira be giving to every student who sincerely wrote their project all by themselves and asked to work and bring out a resonable result to their topics and see if they will not come out with better a advantage than what they would have achieved in a service year. let commit them to work and bring the best out of themself than a year waste in strange course that some of them never even experience before.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by ekoboy: 4:12pm On Mar 08, 2009
FBS:

see who is talking? Out of all of the statements I made, this was all you were able to disseminate and wrongly for that matter. You decided to skip all other valid points for reason only you can explain.
Just because we now have WWW, GMS, according to you, there is simply no need to foster unity in the country?
boy you scare me and I'm done with you. Its a waste of time.
Permit to contribute to ur argument with A-town.
You talk about NYSC giving ppl a starting point. I disagree with that and say it actually slows people down. I got a job before NYSC and when the company found out that i was yet to serve they refused employing me and i was condemed to spending the next one yr in a remote village wasting. Imagine where i would have being with that one yr of working experience. Add that to the fact that after serve i searched for work for another 4months.

You say people get posted to banks and get retained there. My question is won't the banks employ fresh graduates again, whether through NYSC or not. Infact i even think it an unfair advantage posting some ppl to remote villages to waste and teach for nothing while their mates serve in banks and get retained afterwards. Mind you i got employed in a bank not through NYSC.

You say people meet their life partners during NYSC. i figure you met urs there. Was that one of your aims for wanting to serve. Life partners can be met anywhere.

To the issue of one milllio naira spent on each corper. I can't believe one million naira was spent on my head for me to waste in one Yoruba village for one year. Hungry for that matter, because the allowee was hadly enough. If the govt insists on spending the money, am sure the money will help graduates who want to establish something to do so. For those who have no ideas and just want to be employed, atleast they would have food on their table while they job hunt.

You talk about restructuring. that shows you also see something very wrong with the system. For me until someone can propose a very good structure I am voting for a scrap.

With all these ethnic problems happening , there is even more reasons to scrap, atleast for now. A friend of mind was recently posted to Bauchi state. As the guy was leaving for Bauchi, he was like a sheep led to slaughter. We are all working hard to see he redeploys to a southern state, atleast for his safety.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lt-gen Akinrinade Regrets Fighting Civil War / Contradictions In The Al-mustapha Case / At Last! Rotimi Amaechi Strike.explodes; Accuses President Buhari And Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.