Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! (24970 Views)

Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries / Union Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Union Bank Pay? / I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by epistlegcfr: 5:29am On Jun 27, 2015
Dear Nairalanders,

It is with a heavy heart full of worries and grief I write this. Posting this wasn’t my idea till an active nairalander who happened to be my friend suggested I explain my plight to well meaning Nigerians on how to go about seeking redress or what next to do with my shattered life because right now, I am so sad, bewildered, conked out and sorrowful. Today, I have contemplated suicide but I am not the kinda person that gives up so easily so I am willing to fight this through even with the last drop of my blood.

Till Friday 26th of June, 2015, I work for the above named bank in Nigeria. I joined them last year, went to training school and consequently became a full staff. I was confirmed specifically in the first quarter of this year as a full staff. Prior to confirmation, I have never fallen below 95percent. As a matter of fact because of my experience and wits, I was made the branch manager of the branch where I was posted immediately after training school. Since then, I have been undertaking series of professional examination related to my job ranging from ICAN to CIBN and I have always been scoring above 95percent as regards HR appraisal since I joined the bank.

However, I got to work today, logged into the system like I do every other day only to see the greatest shocker of my life. I was surprisingly denied access and consequently instructed to call the IT control department. My initial guess was that I have possibly been transferred to another branch. The IT department said I should contact the HR that I have been suspended.

I started sweating profusely inspite of the cabinet AC directly opposite my desk but I never had a clue till I got an email from HR almost immediately saying my appointment has been terminated.For crying out loud I had 95percent in HR appraisal just last month, I have just been confirmed in May, what have I done wrong? Where do I start from here? What do I do? Series of thoughts started flowing into my mind in thousands I started feeling feverish immediately. I am so blank right now. I need advice, I feel demoralized, dejected, rejected, and I feel so cheated.

I have very cool relationship with my bosses and i cant think of stepping on anyone's toe at the moment. This sudden occurence has defied all reasonable logic and i dont know what else to thing about......I will hang on as i await your replies. Thank you alot.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by HungerBAD: 5:30am On Jun 27, 2015
Brother, i greet you and know my write up is that of a man that is a novice about how Nigeria Banking laws works. But what is performance related crime? i searched for it on Google and that too could not give me an answer, related to the Nigerian Banking context.

But the bottom line is that the statement ends with the word CRIME.

People should after getting employments, read the fine prints in their contracts before signing anything. I am sure in your contract somewhere, it was stated that your contract/appointment/confirmation can be terminated at anytime. If you were made a Staff just last month and got fired in a world record time, must mean there is more to the story you are not letting on.

I have a MILLION lines to write here, but before i continue i will appreciate you define the word PERFORMANCE RELATED CRIME in a layman's term, and then we the committee of NAIRALAND ADVISERS can go from there.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by goke4all(m): 5:56am On Jun 27, 2015
I feel your pain. First contact your HR to find out what happened and get a lawyer to write the Bank.

I work in a bank and I know a good bank won't terminate a performer just like that unless you are not telling us the full story. Do you have a DC case?

7 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Hiploko(m): 5:57am On Jun 27, 2015
Eiya.... The earlier we bagan to realise how volatile a bank job is, the better for us. Most banks I think, want to prove that the can hire and fire @ will. You are not alone. Diamond bank runs an annual april 2nd promo/sack calender. I had 88/cent in my appraisals,won 2 CBN awards consecutively for my unit in the bank, had wonderful relationship with my bosses and worked with all the passion I have working from monday till sunday. But guess what, all those meant nothing and on the 2nd of april, I was logged out of the system too for no just cause. So you are not alone! Maybe God has a better plan for you. Yours is better self. You are fresh and in marketing. With the experience you have,simply approach other banks that value you and tell them what you can do for them. It is easier for a marketer to get a job in another bank. I think the CBN should do something about this irrational sacks. Be of good courage!

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by mkoabiola: 6:02am On Jun 27, 2015
Op no smoke without fire
Search ursef very well,
Dere was something u must av done wrong.
It may not b last month though.
Dd u bother to seek xplanation frm d HR or xplain ur 95% appraisal to hm.
Anyway,go and pray to ur God ,who knws u might be recall,
It is not over until it is over
My 2cent
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by enoqueen: 6:09am On Jun 27, 2015
Pele, you hear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by davide470(m): 6:30am On Jun 27, 2015
HungerBAD:

I have a MILLION lines to write here, but before i continue i will appreciate you define the word PERFORMANCE RELATED CRIME in a layman's term, and then we the committee of NAIRALAND ADVISERS can go from there.

@Epistlegcfr... This is just the first perfect question. and the thread would be taken to Career Section.

5 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Adesiji77: 8:29am On Jun 27, 2015
I empathize with you OP. Imho, "Termination of Appointment" is a bit harsh.

It would have been better if they ask you to resign or give you "Services No Longer Required".

Admittedly, regulatory headwinds and the state of our economy is exerting a lot of pressures on our banks and personnel is usually the first victim in this situation. To put it bluntly, our industry is in a mess.

It is not out of place for you to seek legal advice on this but I pray that this situation launch you to a better career.

@queenfav, hardbody, Teespice...what are your thoughts on this?

@Jarus...do we have any of your contributing HR professionals on Nairaland?
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by sugarvallly(f): 8:52am On Jun 27, 2015
you don associated or make any deal with yahoo yahoo ppl once?

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 27, 2015
Just as a moniker suggested,please explain "Performance related crime" to the house.

And to have happened just few months to your confirmation. This is serious.

Till you explain that,finger crossed.

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Oasoremi: 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2015
I was also a Union bank staff until yesterday and as the writer rightly said, no prior issue, last performance report sent to marketers June 17- I was doing 95.4%. No threat, nothing! I also got my confirmation in April and the 2 years bond we signed was meant to lapse in December.

Dear house, this is injustice, the letter read 'Termination of appointment' - then I asked, on what ground?

Please we need help and advice from fellow bankers and legal practitioners. How do i get them to change the caption of the letter

20 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by davide470(m): 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2015
cc: Slydog
Any words?

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by kingzx0(m): 12:36pm On Jun 27, 2015
Career in the banking industry is zero, it's just the juicy offer. Sh?t happens just move on.

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 27, 2015
Hmmmm, bank works eehhh undecided undecided... Despite the stress, crazy work hours, deadlines, etc... you get treated like a nobody...I know how happy you must had been when you landed the job last yr without knowing it'll last just for a few months. .... it's well OP...

Just move on... You can start something small with whatever you hv saved. Don't worry, you'll prosper. .

5 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by pretydiva(f): 2:59pm On Jun 27, 2015
Buh y nau cry
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by aaamos(m): 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2015
x
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Tellnig: 3:01pm On Jun 27, 2015
Someone said, the expensive clothes and AC bankers use is just simply to covered there tattered and shattered personality, banking jobs in NIGERIA sucks....
I feel your pain bro but pls be calm, better days are ahead.

Pls every kindly check out my signature. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ok go to court .that is all I have to say.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by danchuzzy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 27, 2015
your village people...

dem dey watch you for HDTv since, that's why..

if not, oya tell me how someone with 95% appraisal gets sacked for NO reason?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by myklangelo(m): 3:01pm On Jun 27, 2015
One thing I know about working for anyone is that your appointment can be terminated anytime. If you read terms of conditions of the bank that you signed when you got your job, you will notice that the bank is legally covered to do whatever they did? I ask.
Just to advise... Thank God for the job lost and positively believe that you have been directed to a better future. Believe that your termination is validation of something new. You have right to feel so bad, but you have right tto know that you are too young to be pushed down.
I thank God for you.
By the way I hate bank job, but I like bankers.

My tutorial for the week is out...Igbo ga-adiririri!

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com

9 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by soleexx(m): 3:02pm On Jun 27, 2015
Say God
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Dindondin(m): 3:02pm On Jun 27, 2015
there is more to this matter.

Last Bullet
A reputable bank cant just terminate appointment without reason

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by kay1one2(m): 3:02pm On Jun 27, 2015
Source?
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Chiefpriest1(m): 3:04pm On Jun 27, 2015
Sorry about what happened. It's someone who hasn't experienced this kind of sudden sack that would not understand how broken you are right now.

Unfortunately, there is really little or nothing you can do right now. Your employer has the right to hire and fire at anytime.

The only snag would be when and if they refuse to pay you your termination benefits immediately.

They are under no obligation to tell you why you were fired,except probably on moral grounds.

I understand you are still in a state of confusion. It will soon clear and you 'll face life squarely again.

About one or two persons have also said they were fired at the same time. So, they could be rationalizing.

Pick up the pieces and dont throw a pity party. It will only worsen your case. In the end,you are all you have.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by MrRhymes101(m): 3:04pm On Jun 27, 2015
PERFORMANCE RELATED CRIME?? NA WA O
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by VickyRotex(f): 3:05pm On Jun 27, 2015
A sad one.

Op, are you sure someone dint *kobalise* you?

Are you sure, you ain't eyeing one Oga's girl? lipsrsealed undecided

So many questions to be asked, but I don't know where to start.

But ehmmm, worry not, if you're someone who's been saving, I think you should have little savings to invest in a business, that should be after you've cleared your head.

Don't take any decision you'll regret. Be calm, if you are very sure you did nothing wrong, then be sure you'll be vindicated sooner than you expect.

But before the vindication, play your part, begin something that would earn a living for you, apply to other places, with your experience and certifications, not sure you're going to have much problem with getting a better job.

In all, it's well. Cheer up!!!

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by pinkycute(f): 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2015
Following*****
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by ipreach: 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2015
which way now?
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by lifezone247(m): 3:08pm On Jun 27, 2015
Hope another person will not come and counter dis topic thread ooh!
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by ITUNUTG: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2015
look inward bro
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Justicealh3(m): 3:10pm On Jun 27, 2015
I feel pity 4 em.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! / What My Boss Did To Me. / Policewoman Hailed For Controlling Traffic Under Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.