Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,913 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! (24993 Views)

Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries / Union Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Union Bank Pay? / I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by urheme: 8:46pm On Jun 27, 2015
Oasoremi:
I was also a Union bank staff until yesterday and as the writer rightly said, no prior issue, last performance report sent to marketers June 17- I was doing 95.4%. No threat, nothing! I also got my confirmation in April and the 2 years bond we signed was meant to lapse in December.

Dear house, this is injustice, the letter read 'Termination of appointment' - then I asked, on what ground?

Please we need help and advice from fellow bankers and legal practitioners. How do i get them to change the caption of the letter

Under the laws regulating employer employee relationship, an employer has power to hire and fire for reasons or no reasons atall. All that matter is that it should be done within the contract of employment which binds both of you, that your entittlement is paid after notice is given or payment is made to you in lieu of notice,

If this is the case, then don't even contest it, go and make good of what you are paid.

Sometimes external and internal risk problem can make a company cut down on staffs, it happens all the time, they may still call you again when there is expansion and progress.

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by gidjah(m): 8:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
use to work for o e horrible org like that and suddenly they threw me out on d first day of resumption in a new year,u need to know what it looks like after all I have done to improve the image and lots of the org, but I moved on wit great courage, I can tell you that none of the staff of day org had been able to meet up with me till date.I sm now a fully commissioned officer of d FRN

3 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Adesiji77: 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2015
nuesmann:
the outsource staffs are left there with no prospect.they brought you guys in,u ought to have seen the handwriting on the wall.transformation brought you in,transformation continue.

Show some empathy bro...don't be bitter.

Yout post may be misconstrued as "beefing".

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by bummyla(m): 10:14pm On Jun 27, 2015
God Closes One Door To Open Up A Better Door For His Loved Ones! Which You Are One Of Them! Pick Up Your Pieces And Ask God The Direction He Wants You To Go Now!

It Is Well

http://www.bummyla.com

epistlegcfr:
Dear Nairalanders,

It is with a heavy heart full of worries and grief I write this. Posting this wasn’t my idea till an active nairalander who happened to be my friend suggested I explain my plight to well meaning Nigerians on how to go about seeking redress or what next to do with my shattered life because right now, I am so sad, bewildered, conked out and sorrowful. Today, I have contemplated suicide but I am not the kinda person that gives up so easily so I am willing to fight this through even with the last drop of my blood.

Till Friday 26th of June, 2015, I work for the above named bank in Nigeria. I joined them last year, went to training school and consequently became a full staff. I was confirmed specifically in the first quarter of this year as a full staff. Prior to confirmation, I have never fallen below 95percent. As a matter of fact because of my experience and wits, I was made the branch manager of the branch where I was posted immediately after training school. Since then, I have been undertaking series of professional examination related to my job ranging from ICAN to CIBN and I have always been scoring above 95percent as regards HR appraisal since I joined the bank.

However, I got to work today, logged into the system like I do every other day only to see the greatest shocker of my life. I was surprisingly denied access and consequently instructed to call the IT control department. My initial guess was that I have possibly been transferred to another branch. The IT department said I should contact the HR that I have been suspended.

I started sweating profusely inspite of the cabinet AC directly opposite my desk but I never had a clue till I got an email from HR almost immediately saying my appointment has been terminated.For crying out loud I had 95percent in HR appraisal just last month, I have just been confirmed in May, what have I done wrong? Where do I start from here? What do I do? Series of thoughts started flowing into my mind in thousands I started feeling feverish immediately. I am so blank right now. I need advice, I feel demoralized, dejected, rejected, and I feel so cheated.

I have very cool relationship with my bosses and i cant think of stepping on anyone's toe at the moment. This sudden occurence has defied all reasonable logic and i dont know what else to thing about......I will hang on as i await your replies. Thank you alot.

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by DavidEsq(m): 12:34am On Jun 28, 2015
Oasoremi:
I was also a Union bank staff until yesterday and as the writer rightly said, no prior issue, last performance report sent to marketers June 17- I was doing 95.4%. No threat, nothing! I also got my confirmation in April and the 2 years bond we signed was meant to lapse in December.

Dear house, this is injustice, the letter read 'Termination of appointment' - then I asked, on what ground?

Please we need help and advice from fellow bankers and legal practitioners. How do i get them to change the caption of the letter
buzz me up, I'd give u all the assistance u nid
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by DavidEsq(m): 12:35am On Jun 28, 2015
Oasoremi:

buzz me up, I'd give u all the assistance u nid
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by akinladejo: 3:38am On Jun 28, 2015
Tell me the name of the Bank and I will tell u your offence.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by CoCoLav(f): 7:03am On Jun 28, 2015
OP Banks operate a policy of last in first out when they need to reduce their workforce. You should read your staff handbook. That said, they are private employers who have the right of hire and fire so any lawyer that tells you you can sue them for reinstatement wants to eat your money. The court cannot force a private employer to rehire a staff, however, your payment in lieu of notice which will be part of your severance package must be paid. Where that is not paid, you can then approach a lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 28, 2015
My friend was terminated from the same bank in the same manner and she changed her BBM DP to
P.S. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DIE
Here's the white hot truth:
If you go bankrupt, you'll still be okay.
If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you'll still be okay.
If you sing off-key, get beat by the completion, have your heart shattered, get fired.. Its not going to kill you..
Ask someone who has been through it..

Its been past 6 months and trust me its not been easy but she gets better by the day...

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by lolaluv1(f): 10:20am On Jun 28, 2015
profoyoyo:
@OP and any other person involved,read and read well,
1.I have been in your shoe b4 and trust me, going to court is d last thing you need as you still have a long career ahead of you.
2.Take some time off to reflect and decide on exactly what you want to do,did you really enjoy ur stay in d bank and wld like to continue a banking career or do you have your eye on something else as this might be d only opportunity you will have to decide.
3.Wen I was laid off a few years back with exactly same words,termination,I felt bad cos I didnt knw any better.Termination of employment is accepted worldwide as a legitimate reason for leaving a job,so dont worry only summary dismissal is bad for your CV.
4.If you decide to as a banker like I did in my own case ,update your CV and start contacting whoever youknw in d industry for information and possible assistance.
5.This is d time to use ur data constructively,hunt tirelessly for info online and be d first to knw.
6.Finally dont knw if ure religious but u need some form of inner strength and grace at this period.Be close to ur God.
I have since worked in several banks and always present my termination letter as part of my documentation with no problem.
Wishing all d best!

Really? Didn't know termination of appointment was acceptable....
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by lolaluv1(f): 10:21am On Jun 28, 2015
Willie2015:

I disagree with you here. Termination of Appointment is an employee departure from the job. It may be voluntary on employees part or at the instance of the employer. Ops will still be paid his terminal benefit if one actually exist.
Dismissal is when you have a DC issue or found culpable on one issue.

Oh Really!
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by justkaycee1(m): 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2015
cosxzbay:

I don't get your questions....someone has been confirmed and you are asking of non salient points. Must you commen?
attention seeking
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Reticular: 10:41am On Jun 29, 2015
I think Union bank is downsizing. I heard from a senior friend yesterday that he also got his forceful retirement letter on Friday. He would have been due for retirement in 2 years or so, having put in almost 30 yrs in Union bank. Yes he spent almost thirty years out of the statutory 35 years. He counted himself lucky to have stayed that long in the volatile banking sector. The good thing for him is that he has an appreciable number of real estate investment which can sustain him.

A lesson for us all, start planning your retirement as soon as possible. I can understand with the OP though since he was just recruited into the bank.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by almasterpiece(m): 12:59am On Jun 30, 2015
sorry sir
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by adollyboy(m): 3:18pm On Oct 08, 2017
Use the contacts you have gathered on the job to secure another job.If you venture into business immediately you may not be able to survive the terrain.After getting a new job, then decide to work for certain period, save and start a business if you so wish then.Check your self if you have flair for business because it is not everybody that can be a successful entrepreneur. Pray to God OK fi ona won e.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What My Boss Did To Me. / Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! / Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.