Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,422 members, 7,819,518 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. (33810 Views)

T.B Joshua Named 'Yoruba Man Of The Decade', Soyinka 'Yoruba Man Of The Year' / Why We’ve Not Prosecuted Clifford Orji –lagos / Damn, Abuja Will Be At Least A Decade Ahead Of Lagos In Its Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:33am On Mar 02, 2009
I've often heard nairalanders  accuse Igbos of Cannibalism , citing the madman Clifford Orji who happens to be an Igboman.
Did he commit his crime because he was Igbo or because he was posessed of the devil ?

Secondly why did his accomplice in his human eating, a Yoruba man get less notoreity than him.[/b]Is it the same calculated attempts by the Nigerian media to paint the Igbo man as evil?

P.M. News (Lagos)
ANOL
February 5, 1999
Posted to the web February 5, 1999

By Gabriel Orok, Nkiru Nwokediuko, John Odiboh
Lagos

Crowds still gathered this morning at Toyota bus stop, Oshodi Isolo expressway, the former kitchen of the Lagos cannibal, Clifford Orji. The cannibal was arrested Wednesday by the police after the cries of Awawu, a gaunt and shackled woman from Agege gave him away.

[b]Clifford and his accomplice, Tahiru have been singing to the police in Lagos on why they had been killing fellow human beings for dinner.
People always suspected that Clifford Orji was queerly different.

He used to sell razor blades at the bustling Oshodi market several years ago. Then he shifted his abode to a self-created grotto under the highway bridge in Isolo, where he advertised himself as a "native doctor Chinneyelu".

Occasionally, he violently pursued stray-walkers to his "sanctuary" during day time. In the dead of the night he usually blanketed the air around him with the meat-like odour from his special barbecue.

People merely suspected that this barbecue- loving recluse was not normal; that he was possibly mad. But no one was prepared for the horrendous discovery of last Wednesday: that Orji was also a cannibal - a man eater! The discovery sent shock waves throughout the sprawling metropolis of seven million people, drawing hundreds of people to the under-the-bridge abode of Orji, where he also kept a well-kitted kitchen to prepare cooked and roasted human flesh! How long the afro-haired man from Enugu State has been feeding on human flesh in Lagos is unknown.

How many people he has slaughtered for dinner is also unknown, as Orji has not revealed much during police interrogations and even the parade before klieglights and journalists in Lagos Thursday. A shrill cry of a famished and emaciated lady, waiting to be slaughtered, was what gave up Orji Wednesday.

The noise attracted passersby who not only discovered the woman but also stumbled on a phalanx of human parts in Orji's make-shift home. Human bones, skulls, legs, hands, freshly cooked soup with human meat, were discovered.

The uproar triggered by this shock discovery was said to have attracted men of the Operation Sweep. Surrounded, Orji attempted to escape.

But the police quickly arrested him and took him to the Makinde Police Station in Oshodi, nearby. The lady being dressed for slaughtering, and who Orji had turned into a sex-slave for several days, was freed and taken to the hospital in Ikeja.

The arrest of another person, said to be Orji's accomplice in the human-flesh eating business introduced a new dimension to the tragedy. Police have since found that Orji and his friend were not just human eaters, they were also human spare-parts sellers, as money, cheques were said to have been recovered at the make-shift home at the popular Toyota Bus Stop on the Oshodi-Isolo Expressway.

Were Orji and his accomplice mad? Some people interviewed at the scene of the tragedy believed they are sane. Some did not.

"What evidence do you have to claim that he's mad," said Chuks Igbokwe who spoke with the National Concord. "As far as I am concerned, he might be one of these Otokoto ritual murderers who trade in human parts. If he is mad, why should he kill and eat his victims?" People who frequently passed by Orji's make-shift home of horror recounted incidents when they were chased by the iron-rod wielding Orji; incidents when his potential victims escaped by the whiskers; incidents when the smell of his human barbecue pervaded the environment.

"Any time wey I pass here, I go see the man eating meat . . . I no know say na person im de chop," Okechukwu, a motor spare parts dealer told The Guardian Wednesday.

The controversy about Orji's mental state will linger for some time. Up till this morning, Lagosians continued to troop to Orji's former home as news of Orji's cannibalism spread.

On Thursday, Orji and his accomplice were paraded to newsmen by the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Sunday Aghedo. The journalists who crowded the premises of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS of the Lagos State Police Command, Ikeja, covered their noses with handkerchief while interviewing Orji who claimed to be a native of Enugu State.

Besides Orji was a middle-aged man, unidentified by the police, and who was bleeding on his nose and mouth. Mr. Sunday Aghedo, the state commissioner of police, described the two men as human eaters.

On display beside them were roasted parts of human beings - heads, leg, hand and the abdomen. One severed head wore a permed hair of a lady identified as "Eno", a trader from Akwa Ibom.

Aghedo continued: "These are the men who were arrested yesterday by members of the Operation Sweep. They were arrested with human parts in their enclave at the local airport area and taken to Makinde Police Station. They are now answering questions on homicide at the State Crime Intelligence Department (SCID)". When it was his turn to speak, Orji confessed to the media men: "We are human meat eaters. We have killed over three people, especially young girls who hawk wares. We always lured them to our enclave under the pretext that we wanted to purchase their wares. Once they are in our net, we pounced on them and killed them for eatable meat. My colleagues is the human hunter while I am the butcher. We usually go for girls with permed hair."

"Why, have you taken to human eating; is it because you cannot afford animal meat?, "a journalist asked Orji. Orji replied: "We have been eating human meat for the past seven years before coming to Lagos. It is our culture to eat human meat".

"If you are a free man today will you still be eating human meat?" Orji was asked again.

"Yes, to me there is no difference between human and goat meat," Orji replied. The lack of remorse by the cannibals is making the police doubt the mental state of the men.

"They may be victims of psychic and spiritual problems. Before prosecution, we have to send them to psychiatric home for medical examination. Who knows, they maybe mentally sick".

Mr. Aghedo said. Cannibalism is a taboo in Lagos, but in some parts of Nigeria, especially, in the south east states of Cross River and Calabar, human meat eating is not strange.

There were reports of food vendors selling human meat as animal meat to unsuspecting hungry travellers.

Inside the Cannibal's Kitchen

1. Rusty frying pans

2. Bucket

3. Bowl containing human bones

4. Grill on another metal bowl

5. Firewood

6. Human parts: roasted limbs, palms, wrists, ankles, feet, thigh, skulls.

7. Rice, yam, gari, pepper, and oil

8. Soup pot with human meat.

9. A gaunt lady waiting to be slaughtered

10. Cutlasses, knives.

11. Cellular phone

12. Money estimated to be N500,000
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:39am On Mar 02, 2009
Mr. Aghedo said. Cannibalism is a taboo in Lagos, but in some parts of Nigeria, especially, in the south east states of Cross River and Calabar, human meat eating is not strange.

This is the most tribalistic statement anyone can make since misfits come in all tribes.
Is Tahiru a south Easterner?
If we found other stories of similar things by other South Westerners, can anyone then say South westerners are cannibals?
People ought to think before they make sweeping statements such as this.

3 Likes

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by StFunmi(f): 7:43am On Mar 02, 2009
Secondly why did his accomplice in his human eating, a Yoruba man get less notoreity than him.Is it the same calculated attempts by the Nigerian media to paint the Igbo man as evil?

Same reason why Osama is more popular than his cronies; Same reason why Col Emeka Ojukwu is more popular than Col Effiong even though both of them led the Biafran war; Same reason why Chuks Nzeogwu is more popular than Col Ifejuna; Same reason why Shina Rambo is more popular than Kazeem his ADC; Same reason why Tafa Balogun is more popular than Mike Okiro; Same reason why Nigerians curse IBB and forget Air Commodore Augustus Aikhomu his partner in crime. You get it  now?

1 Like

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by farotika(m): 8:45am On Mar 02, 2009
**osisi:

This is the most tribalistic statement anyone can make since misfits come in all tribes.
If we found other stories of similar things by other South Westerners, can anyone then say South westerners are cannibals?

Osisi, nobody is been tribalistic here. Eating human parts is not strange in some Eastern parts and they are even very proud of it. I have I guy in my office and he's always proud to say they eat human parts in his home town. Therefore, it is a known fact. The issue of been tribalistic does not come to play at all.

3 Likes

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by StFunmi(f): 11:38am On Mar 02, 2009
Osisi, nobody is been tribalistic here. Eating human parts is not strange in some Eastern parts and they are even very proud of it. I have I guy in my office and he's always proud to say they eat human parts in his home town. Therefore, it is a known fact. The issue of been tribalistic does not come to play at all.

And you are stupid enough to buy his story?. Isn't that same as what african do here in the states whenever Americans ask them silly questions like do you have cars over there?. I also know a guy that swore before them that they truly live on trees in Africa.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Sauron1: 1:06pm On Mar 02, 2009
**osisi:

Before you go any further, there are cannibals in Abia State.
I have forgotten the name of that village now but i would dig it out later.
They ate a dozen corp members few years ago and a movie was made from the story.
Don't be ignorant. . . . . . .Cannibalism is a standard practise in the EAST.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 1:11pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sauron the village you are thinking of is ngwa but you are a complete ram for saying this.

They ate a dozen corp members few years ago and a movie was made from the story.

2 Likes

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Sauron1: 1:20pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

Sauron the village you are thinking of is ngwa but you are a complete ram for saying this.

Ngwa or Nsialangwa??
You are a goat for disputing there's no cannibalism in the East.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 1:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
U are a ram for saying it is a standard practice.It is Isiala ngwa and mind you it was in the acient times and not in the present.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Sauron1: 1:36pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

U are a ram for saying it is a standard practice.It is Isiala ngwa and mind you it was in the acient times and not in the present.

Ancient times. . . . . .
The corp members i was talking about was about 7-8 years ago.
Is that your definition of ancient??
You are still a goat for disputing these things happen everyday in Abia State.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 1:43pm On Mar 02, 2009
Provide proof of the story and not word of mouth.I still insist you are ram for saying it is a standard practice.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by farotika(m): 1:49pm On Mar 02, 2009
Neither of you is a goat or ram or whatever, we're only trying to clarify things here. It might not be the standard practice but, it's still in existence. Believe it or not.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Sauron1: 2:13pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

Provide proof of the story and not word of mouth.I still insist you are ram for saying it is a standard practice.

And i reiterate you are a goat for disputing it ain't a standard practice in the East.
It's cultural. . . . .I admit it's not as widespread as it was decades of years ago but some people still see it as a way of appeasing their gods.
Therefore, it's a standard practise.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 2:21pm On Mar 02, 2009
And i reiterate you are a goat for disputing it ain't a standard practice in the East.
It's cultural. . . . .I admit it's not as widespread as it was decades of years ago but some people still see it as a way of appeasing their gods.
Therefore, it's[b] a standard practise.[/b]

You have now proven that you are a confirmed ram.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by busybodi: 2:23pm On Mar 02, 2009
buhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha @sauron and asha

u guys will not kill me grin grin grin

will u pple leave d ram,goat and isi.ewu matter and face d main topic cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Sauron1: 2:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

You have now proven that you are a confirmed ram.

Cheese n Rice. . . . .the above statement has confirmed you to be a bearded "Ewu".
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by busybodi: 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

Cheese n Rice. . . . .the above statement has confirmed you to be a bearded "Ewu".
sweetheart,come to bed already,the bed spread is too cold grin ,come keep it warm cool

ok asha and sauron will u lot stop all dis now angry angry

asha iga ku kwa ugwo(fine) na igbo kwenu thread,

iga kwu,1000 dollars into my account,for ise"okwu na nairaland cool
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Okijajuju1(m): 2:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
Nne oma Osisi

May the gods of our forefathers continually shower their blessing on you. Please inform these bigots that orjis wingman was actually an onye ofe m'manu.

1 Like

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Hauwa1: 7:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
i remember when i was young. my friends won't allow me peace. they always teased that the mangala or tinko is from human.

then i stopped eating mangala and tinko. oh well, i don't know if cannibalism is real. some might say it to frighten other pple.
i don't understand how another human being could eat a person. not even all the pple shown on A&E could make it real to me.
even the Orji story, how can just 2 pple eat a whole human being and more?

but then, there are evil all right. i see it as pscho problem. something must have gone wrong upstairs.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Ikomi(m): 11:29pm On Mar 02, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i see it as pscho problem. something must have gone wrong upstairs.

Who taught u to write in such a clever manner.  angry
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:37am On Mar 03, 2009
Some of you guys have talked a bunch of nonsense and no one has answered my question.
Why is it that nobody ever mentions Tahiru,the Yoruba man that worked hand in hand with Clifford Orji capturing little girls with permed hair,cooking and eating them
Is it because Clifford Orji is an Igbo man and the media in Lagos and Nigeria was out to paint Igbos "black" as they normally do.
The main purpose of this thread is to show the media bias against Igbos.
Secondly,I want people to be able to refer to the complete Clifford Orji story.
If Igbos are said to be Cannibals because of Clifford
Are Yorubas also cannibals because of Tahiru?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:49am On Mar 03, 2009

and there are Cannibals in Lagos,Osun,Ekiti,Oyo,Ondo and Ogun states. wink
tahiru is a typical example.
Please give me credible sources of your stories other than nollywood and I hope you'll also make the same conclusion about Yorubas if I showed you stories of yoruba cannibals besides Tahiru including one that made human peppersoup and was dishing it out to his neighbours.
There's currently a human parts market in Lagos,as seen in another thread
Can I safely assume that dismembership of humans and sale of their hands,feet and breasts is Yoruba culture?

The sole purpose of this thread is to put giant holes in the stereotypes you've come to accept.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:52am On Mar 03, 2009
Okija_juju:

Nne oma Osisi

May the gods of our forefathers continually shower their blessing on you. Please inform these bigots that orjis wingman was actually an onye ofe m'manu.

My brother, it is the Lord God almighty that'll bless me wink
People forget that when they point one finger at someone,their 4 fingers plus their extra sixth finger point back at them
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by DeReloaded: 3:57am On Mar 03, 2009
Never heard this story before. Clifford Orji?

and since when is Tahuru a Yoruba name?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 3:58am On Mar 03, 2009
Tahiru is a typical Yoruba Muslim name
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 4:01am On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

Never heard this story before. Clifford Orji?

and since when is Tahuru a Yoruba name?

I heard it here on nairaland mainly from Yorubas taunting Igbos and calling them cannibals and ritualists.
Even one of your friends texcee or so whipped it out on one of her tirades
then I googled and read the story and was shocked that he had a Yoruba accomplice that was completely lost in the story.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by OgidiBoy(m): 4:02am On Mar 03, 2009
Is this story even true? sometimes that P.M. News will be putting out some very bogus stories
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 4:04am On Mar 03, 2009
It happened in 1999
The men are in prison without a trial,I hear
just google clifford Orji and it's an eat read all you can buffet grin
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by DeReloaded: 4:06am On Mar 03, 2009
I ask cos the only time I ever heard of Tahiru was a Hausa gate man I knew in Ibadan.

Well Dahmer was also a cannibal.

and Yorubas are called fetishists as well osisi. The dude with the skulls in the airport abi? Such is also used against it so what's the problem?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 4:11am On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

I ask cos the only time I ever heard of Tahiru was a Hausa gate man I knew in Ibadan.

Well Dahmer was also a cannibal.

and Yorubas are called fetishists as well osisi. The dude with the skulls in the airport abi? Such is also used against it so what's the problem?

Yes who could forget Dahmer
didn't they catch him with a skull in his freezer and a giant stock pot cooking people's buttocks grin
Who had skulls in the airport?
Maybe he was a student of cranial anatomy grin
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Hauwa1: 4:29am On Mar 03, 2009
Dahmer was really a psycho. and he even said he had sex with the dead. i wonder what went wrong as handsome as he was. not even from a poor family. oh! when i watched it on a and e, i felt so disgusted. deep freezer filled with human meat oh Lord.

anyone saw his confession before he was killed? his dad was with him during the confession. it was then that i pitied him.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 03, 2009
**osisi:

My brother, it is the Lord God almighty that'll bless me wink
People forget that when they point one finger at someone,their 4 fingers plus their extra sixth finger point back at them

hope you remember that when next you point at Islam tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igwe Alex Nwokedi Of Achalla Is Dead / Rukayat Adeteju Adeyemi And Hakeem Adesina Folarin’s Wedding Photos / Alaafin Of Oyo With Olori Ajoke, His Beautiful Wife (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.