Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. (33800 Views)

T.B Joshua Named 'Yoruba Man Of The Decade', Soyinka 'Yoruba Man Of The Year' / Why We’ve Not Prosecuted Clifford Orji –lagos / Damn, Abuja Will Be At Least A Decade Ahead Of Lagos In Its Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by dakobu: 2:24am On Mar 14, 2009
SEVERAL more human corpses and body parts were recovered from the horror shrines in Okija, Anambra State weekend by the special police homicide squad, which said that the shrines were part of an elaborate fraud racket.

A [b]police assault team on mop-up operation, raided a total of 11 shrines in the Okija area in Ihiala local government last Friday, and recovered corpses, body parts and artefacts. Police chief, Mr. Felix Ogbaudu however, declined to disclose the actual number of bodies recovered in the follow-up raids.

Friday’s raids were under taken by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squads (SARS) of the Anambra State police command, reinforced by crack detectives pesonally dispatched to the crime scene by police Inspector General, Mr. Tafa Balogun. The detectives are to take over police investigation into the shrines in which 50 fresh corpses and 20 human skulls were recovered on Wednesday.

Also recovered in Friday’s raids were a live monkey, two vehicles, Volvo Salon car and a lorry – while two brothers, Okonjo and Bartholomew Ndukwu, earlier identified as robbery suspects, narrowly escaped arrest.

According to state Police Commissioner, Mr. Felix Ogbaudu, the suspects so far arrested are fraudsters.

Apparently, police are working on the theory that the shrines are at the centre of an elaborate fraud and protection racket.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN); "They (suspects) are petty fraudsters who put fear into peoples’ minds".

Mr. Ogbaudu called for calm urging the people not to entertain any fear of super-natural reprisal insisting that those who fled should return to their homes.

He reported that feedback from residents of the area indicated general relief at the exposure of the shrines which were identified with bondage.

Police are also on the trail of the Ndukwu brothers and several other suspects linked to the shrines, believed to number 14 in the Okija area.[/b]Human Rights body, Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) had earlier alleged that the shrines were used for fraud and sponsored by political figures.

"From reports received so far, some of the villagers in Okija are happy with the operations, because it has relieved them from an age-long bondage" said Mr. Ogbaudu.

A victim of one of the shrines, Chief Christopher Ekwenibe has commended the command for doing a good job.

Ekwenibe, who visited Ogbaudu at the command’s headquarters Awka, said he was summoned to appear before one of the shrines about four years ago.

"I refused to honour the invitation, because I did not believe in it. I am happy this has ended, because activities of the shrine had become ridiculous to our people," he said.

A former chairman of Nnewi-South local government council in Anambra State, Mr. Romanus Okoli also enthused over the raids.

Okoli said the police should be commended for making the discovery, because activities at the forest (shrines) had been thriving for a long time and threatening the people.

"That forest needs to be delivered, because the people have been in bondage and coerced to go and worship the deities, Okoli, a pastor added.

Meanwhile, the Delta State police command said it arrested a 38-year-old man, Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, for a alleged human trafficking and forced labour.

The state commissioner of police, Mr. Charles Akaya, said in a statement that Okonkwo and his accomplice, Christopher Okwuesoeze, was the driver of a Mercedes Benz mini bus with registration number XC 654 UWN, which conveyed the children.

According to the statement, Okonkwo also claimed that the children were on holiday.

The police in on Wednesday uncovered 20 human skulls and 50 decomposing corpses, in two shrines in Okija.

Mr. Felix Ogbaudu, Anambra State Commissioner of Police acting on a tip off, had dispatched some 80 members of the special anti-robbery squad headed by Mr. Gabriel Haruna, to the shrine located in Ogwugwu Okija in Ihiala council area of the state. The development culminated in the discovery of the human skulls and corpses, allegedly sacrificed to appease the numerous deities in Okija as claimed by the son of the chief priest, Mr. Osita Ndukwu of Umuhu Okija.

By weekend, there were indications that many more suspects involved in the dastardly act would be apprehended.

But Mr. Chukwumezie Obed Igwe, who reported the fetish activities by the shrine operatives the discovery is a plus for the people of the area and advent believed liberty for his people; who had been subjected to the devilish pastime over the years.

"I am happy because I have been able to expose this barbaric practice and set our people and children unborn free," he declared triumphantly.
Source: Daily Champion.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 2:26am On Mar 14, 2009
old story
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by dakobu: 2:28am On Mar 14, 2009
Don’t tarnish Igbo image, Achuzia insists
•As Igwe Nwokedi justifies raid, condemns patrons
By Gabriel Enogholase, Enugu

Amidst criticisms that greeted his response to the raid on Okija shrine, Secretary-General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Col. Joe Achuzia (rtd) on Wednesday maintained his earlier position that the raid should not be used to tarnish the image of the Igbo race, even as erstwhile Chairman of Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers, Igwe Alex Nwokedi justified the raid and lashed out at prominent Nigerians who patronize the shrines.

Achuzia while reacting to the unsigned statement allegedly issued by the pan-Igbo cultural organization disowning his earlier statement on the matter, told newsmen in a telephone interview, that his earlier position on the issue was unshakeable, stating that Igbos should not be singled out for castigation over the presence or worship of shrines like those found in Okija, Anambra State.

He explained that his position was that there are similar shrines all over Nigeria and all of them should be given similar treatment by the Nigeria Police, stressing that the handling of the Okija shrine raid had portrayed the entire Igbo race as cannibals and idol worshippers. "As far as I am concerned, I am not interested in what happened, but they should not make it an Igbo issue because there are similar shrines in every state in Nigeria and should be accorded the same treatment. I am not defending whatever the chief priests and the worshippers did, but people should not say it is peculiar to Ndigbo," Achuzia said.

The former Biafrian warlord stated that his position was being twisted and misinterpreted by those who did not really understand his stance on the issue. Asked to react to the reports that Ohaneze disowned his comment on the shrine raid, Achuzia retorted: "I am not interested; all I have said is that this thing should not be made an Igbo issue, there should be a limit to everything."

However, Igwe Nwokedi who is the traditional ruler of Achalla community in Anambra State, blamed prominent Nigerians for the prevalence of idolatry in the country, saying that if such people do not patronize the shrines, the operators would not engage in such practices.

He challenged the Inspector General of Police to release names of prominent Nigerians associated with the Okija shrines, stating that the measure would help stop people from engaging in such ungodly practices.

"You don't blame the priest or the worshippers of the shrine. We should blame the elite, the educated and prominent people amongst us who go there. Are we not ashamed of ourselves? Anybody who had been there should be ashamed of himself. What is the point that on Sunday we go to church and on Monday we go to shrine and swear. What point are we making", he said. He added that he was in support of the police raid, saying since human lives were involved there was nothing wrong in police raiding the area to prevent further destruction of lives as well as bringing the culprits to book.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by dakobu: 3:07am On Mar 14, 2009
http://www.igbonews.co.uk/html/okija2.html#500-okija
500 Okija victims recount ordeal
The Day Okija 'Gods' Invaded Reps' Chamber
Okija Shrines Priests Confess
Ngige speaks on Okija, warns troublemakers
The Okija shrine horror
House in rowdy session over Okija shrines
Okija Invasion, Deliverance for Nigerians
God Intervened in Okija, Says Cleric
Top politicians use fake names in Okija shrine register
Okija shrines were 419 tools
Those killed by Okija shrine are criminals – Chief priest
Aambra Govt to Acquire Okija Shrine
Okija: IG Gets Presidential Order, Ohanaeze Disowns Shrine
Okija community defends shrine, vows to resist acquisition
Anambra To Acquire 'Evil' Forest
Police Seal off Okija Shrines
Shocker for IGP at Okija shrines
Okija People are not Cannibals, Says Monarch
Raid on shrines: Police recover 50 corpses, 20 skulls
INSIDE HORROR SHRINE- Inside Okija horror shrine
Police uncover 10 fresh shrines, Ohanaeze scribe slams raid
Okija Shrine of Death- HOW WE GET HUMAN SKULLS-Chief priest
In Okija, The Gods Are To Blame For Killings
Wabara: Why Are Igbo Forests Not For Tourism?
More corpses recovered
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by dakobu: 10:53pm On Mar 14, 2009
wink
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by muda1: 9:43am On Mar 15, 2009
shocked shocked
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by tangent(f): 11:14pm On Mar 15, 2009
*dakobu:

http://www.igbonews.co.uk/html/okija2.html#500-okija
500 Okija victims recount ordeal
The Day Okija 'Gods' Invaded Reps' Chamber
Okija Shrines Priests Confess
Ngige speaks on Okija, warns troublemakers
The Okija shrine horror
House in rowdy session over Okija shrines
Okija Invasion, Deliverance for Nigerians
God Intervened in Okija, Says Cleric
Top politicians use fake names in Okija shrine register
Okija shrines were 419 tools
Those killed by Okija shrine are criminals – Chief priest
Aambra Govt to Acquire Okija Shrine
Okija: IG Gets Presidential Order, Ohanaeze Disowns Shrine
Okija community defends shrine, vows to resist acquisition
Anambra To Acquire 'Evil' Forest
Police Seal off Okija Shrines
Shocker for IGP at Okija shrines
Okija People are not Cannibals, Says Monarch
Raid on shrines: Police recover 50 corpses, 20 skulls
INSIDE HORROR SHRINE- Inside Okija horror shrine
Police uncover 10 fresh shrines, Ohanaeze scribe slams raid
Okija Shrine of Death- HOW WE GET HUMAN SKULLS-Chief priest
In Okija, The Gods Are To Blame For Killings
Wabara: Why Are Igbo Forests Not For Tourism?
More corpses recovered

na wa o shocked shocked
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by muda1: 11:42am On Mar 16, 2009
sad
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by muda1: 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2009
@dakubo, ikwe ihe gị ikwuru. grin
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by osisi2(f): 5:50pm On Mar 17, 2009
^muda:

@dakubo, ikwe ihe gị ikwuru. grin

don't you know that one talking to oneself=madness?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Ikomi(m): 6:04pm On Mar 17, 2009
dakubo are u talking to urself? Chhhhiiiiinnnnnneeeeeeekkkkkkeemmmmm eeeeeehhhhhhh angry
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by muda1: 10:20pm On Mar 19, 2009
**osis people.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by SoWhat1: 4:17pm On Mar 21, 2009
Has anyone considered that Clifford Orji and his accomplice may have undiagnosed mental illness? I do not think this is an issue of whether some tribe is cannabalistic or not. Jeffrey Dhamer, an American, cannabalized his victims, but that does not make his fellow Americans cannabals or does it? Just my two cents.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2009
One fool's madness has turned into a rant again Igbo people? Wow.

@ Osisi, I think you need to exorcise the ghost of Ethnocentrism that resides within you.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Afam4eva(m): 5:14pm On Mar 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

One fool's madness has turned into a rant again Igbo people? Wow.

@ Osisi, I think you need to excorcise the ghost of Ethnocentrism that resides within you.

How many times will i warn you concerning this word that u're treating like this. Don't u have a dictionary, lookup up another word and stop this your ethnocentric fever.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 5:19pm On Mar 21, 2009
afam4eva:

How many times will i warn you concerning this word that u're treating like this. Don't u have a dictionary, lookup up another word and stop this your ethnocentric fever.

I have told you numerous times, I call it as I see. As opposed stalking me in threads, why don't you get yourself an OD and read, perhaps you can step your vocabulary game up. Or does my use of the word sting you because it applies to you especially?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2009
@Afrocynic

If i may ask why are you so much interested in anything igbo?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by Afam4eva(m): 5:59pm On Mar 21, 2009
asha 80:

@Afrocynic

Ask him. He's one of the few non-Igbos that open Igbo threads.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 7:11pm On Mar 21, 2009
asha 80:

@Afrocynic

Because I am a Lagosian and prior to moving to England at 11, I had a number of Igbo friends who taught me little things about the culture and my b/f is Igbo and I have told I have a penchant for Igbo guys. In short, outside of my own culture, it is the culture that interests me the most.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 7:31pm On Mar 21, 2009
Because I am a Lagosian and prior to moving to England at 11, I had a number of Igbo friends who taught me little things about the culture and my b/f is Igbo and I have told I have a penchant for Igbo guys. In short, outside of my own culture, it is the culture that interests me the most.

If you want to learn about igbo culture in general my advice is that not to be antagonistic in the way you go about with the way you jump into most igbo threads and criticizing them.No culture is entirely good or bad.If you respect yourself you will get more than information that you need.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 7:46pm On Mar 21, 2009
asha 80:

If you want to learn about igbo culture in general my advice is that not to be antagonistic in the way you go about with the way you jump into most igbo threads and criticizing them.No culture is entirely good or bad.If you respect yourself you will get more than information that you need.

Err, no thanks. There are too many tribal warriors on here, it is so damn annoying, as far as criticism is concerned, I stand by all that I have written so far. I know no culture is good or bad but an answer to a question is never, 'the other ethnic group does it too!'.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by asha80(m): 7:49pm On Mar 21, 2009
@Afrocynic

Goodluck!
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by tpia: 4:07am On Mar 22, 2009
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2009
Lol, no, b/f in this instance mean best friend. Like I said, it is the culture I have been most exposed to outside of my own.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by tpia: 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2009
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by AfroCynic: 10:59pm On Mar 22, 2009
tpia:

you mean you've never dated or had a crush on an Igbo guy?

winkety wink.

Lol, I did not say that. But anyway, is this thread not about Clifford Orji?
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by tpia: 11:03pm On Mar 22, 2009
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by comfort3: 11:38pm On Mar 22, 2009
wink
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by comfort3: 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2009
:-x
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by comfort3: 6:15pm On Mar 24, 2009
many head eaters and rituals for blood money.
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by comfort3: 6:20pm On Mar 24, 2009
too many people eatting human being in Abia state. lipsrsealed
Re: Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. by ezeagu(m): 6:35pm On Mar 24, 2009
[size=18pt]Maybe all of you should let this post die?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igwe Alex Nwokedi Of Achalla Is Dead / Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Rukayat Adeteju Adeyemi And Hakeem Adesina Folarin’s Wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.