Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders (809 Views)

Stop Adding To Our Problems, Give Us A Little Respect - Soldier Warns Nigerians / Names Of Senators Who Signed Ndume Out Of Senate Leadership / Senate Leadership Crisis Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Frankiss44(m): 11:28am On Jul 01, 2015
By Henry Umoru

ABUJA- THE leadership of the Senate opened up yesterday that Senators were capable of nipping in the bud, the perceived crisis presenting rocking the upper Chambers and by extension, the National assembly of they were left on their own by the leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

The senate said that if no external influence, settlement of the disagreement among the members would be very easy , just as it stressed that there were no factions within the Senators on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, admitting that what obtains at the moment following last week’s emergence of some principal officers, was mere disagreement among the Senators.

Speaking with Journalists yesterday, Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Bala Ibn Na’Allah, noted that all the senators in the two groups, the Senate Unity Forum, SUF which was loyal to Senator Ahmed Lawan and like minds Senators loyal to Senate President Bukola Saraki believe in the yearnings and aspirations of Nigerians.

He said, “Let me say that we do not have a crisis in the Senate, what we have are disagreements between our colleagues senators on how certain things should be done.

“When you have a crisis then you are talking about reconciliation but when you have a disagreement it is not about reconciliation it is about sorting out the matter based on what all of us believe in.
The happy thing about it is that there is not a single senator in both groups who does not believe in the yearnings and aspirations of Nigerian as it relates to the Senate. So it is going to be a very simple issue to settle provided the external influence cease for the time being.”

Na’Allah, who also seized the occasion to correct an impression that Senator Ahmad Lawan, was leading a group of APC senators in the red chamber, said, “I want to correct an impression that there is a faction of the APC senators led by Senator Ahmad Lawan. We have the Senate Unity Forum, of which I am a member and led by Senator Barnabas Gemade.

“No matter unfairness to Senator Gemade, he stands as one of the leaders in this country and I do not want to believe that he needs even the inkling of any other person to get involved in reconciling the Senate.

“We do not have a crisis in the senate. What we have is disagreement within our colleagues on how certain things things should be done. It is when we have crisis that we will be talking about reconciliation but when we have a disagreement, we will sort out matter based on what all of us believe in.”

Speaking on the issues raised by former Interim National Chairman of APC, Chief Bisi Akande, that the emergence of the principal officers was a conspiracy of the North against the South West, Na’Allah said Chief Akande may have been misquoted.

“Chief Bisi Akande is a highly respected senior member of this country and I am not so sure he had not been misquoted on that issue. Even where it exists, I am absolutely sure that, that it cannot be the correct statement of the situation.

“The North holds every section of this country high, we detest the idea of even labeling us as North because we have passed that stage with the current development in our country.

“We are a united country whether we like it or not with some few interests being defined at different levels of our governance but as far as Nigeria is concerned, I don’t want to believe that there is any conspiracy.

“If there is any conspiracy on the part of the North, what made you think that the conspiracy will involve bringing somebody from the PDP and from South East to become the deputy senate president.?

“Things happen not as expected. For instance, when we, the Unity Forum, were in the ICC, waiting for our President to come and address us, if we were in the chamber during the election, I am absolutely sure that the outcome would have been different. So, I do believe that the statement was erroneously attributed to Chief Akande.”

On the alleged President Muhammadu Buhari’s body language towards Senator Ike Ekweremadu’s emergence as the DSP, Na’Allah said there was nothing for now, to suggest that the president was not happy with the development, adding, “I have not seen Mr President nor see his body language but I know if you want to be fair to him I can say to some extent that I know Mr President very well. He is a patriot, he believes in this country.

“He has exhibited that belief in every aspect of his life and I don’t want to believe that when he made the statement that he was ready to work with every one, it was in furtherance of his belief that the Nigeria that he knows, is a united Nigeria where every citizen should be given equal opportunity.

“I know that as a loyal party members, he is not happy with the situation. As matured people we should be able to make good of what has happened and move the country forward.”

Speaking further, Na’Allah who disclosed that he dumped the SUF immediately the chairman of the party, Chief John Odigie Oyegun issued a statement that the APC leadership had recognised Saraki as the senate president, said, “You remember that the National Chairman of the APC issued a statement that the party has recognized the presidency of Senator Bukola Saraki. With that statement, as a loyal party man, what do you expect me to do? That is why I am towing the party line.”

On the the letter from the APC, the Senate Deputy Leader said, “A lot of people do not understand; as a member of the National Assembly, the moment you step into the National Assembly, you either take the Bible or the Quoran.

“Then you subscribe to the oath of allegiance and then take your oath of office, the oath of office says that you will uphold, protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Law and Rules of the Senate.

“Outside these three documents a senator does not have any leverage to do anything outside, there is no other document outside these three.
Then if you carefully look at the rules of the Senate, the only letters that can be read on the floor of the House is a letter from Mr President. That is the convention not only in Nigeria but all other parliaments all over the World. People should understand the workings of democracy before they begin to make imputations that are not known in democratic circles.”

On whether the party can have influence on its members in the National Assembly, Na’ Allah said, “When a party wins an election, it calls the caucus of all those who got involved in bringing a successful election, then it will say; Mr A B C helped the party greatly at the polls. So we intend to compensate that persn by appointing a credible person from that side of the country to be our Secretary to the Government and our intention is to select this person to be our Chief of Staff. So at your caucuses, we advise that you bring people from this geopolitical zone so that we can be able to balance the party for smooth governance.

“Then the caucuses will come and sit down and say in view of what the party has said, it is important for us to now zone maybe Senate Presidency to this.
That is how the calculations are made. I am not seeing any issue here, it is just that people are trying to overheat the polity without knowing what it is all about.”
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/senate-leadership-leave-us-alone-we-can-resolve-our-problems-senate-leadership-to-apc-leaders/#sthash.qTLGEfAb.dpuf
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by axiliborha(f): 11:28am On Jul 01, 2015
grin
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 01, 2015
summary please?
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by seedgreen(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2015
Following
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by JBismarck(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2015
Dis babe again
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Emekamex(m): 11:30am On Jul 01, 2015
Who cares
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 01, 2015
we will leave u alone only if u've not contested under our party.

Stupi.d Legislooters
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Frankiss44(m): 11:44am On Jul 01, 2015
Neyoor:
we will leave u alone only if u've not contested under our party.

Stupi.d Legislooters

Lolz... The party was just a medium to achieve their goals
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Slynonny(m): 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
Opolo Eye (Tinubu) leave them alone.
Mouth Action (Buhari) leave them alone.
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by Frankiss44(m): 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
Slynonny:
Opolo Eye (Tinubu) leave them alone.
Mouth Action (Buhari) leave them alone.

Dude you need to calm down...
Re: Leave Us Alone, We Can Resolve Our Problems - Senate Leadership To Apc Leaders by bobbiekrantz: 12:22pm On Jul 01, 2015
Don't mind those miserable sore losers!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Amina Zakari And Her ‘uncle’ Buhari / Boko Haram Militants Attack Nigerian Army Chief's Home / El-rufai-cuts-overhead-cancels-pilgrims-sponsorshi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.