Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? (1761 Views)

Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
is it right for a chisten to have more then one wife?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by AKO1(m): 2:48pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 2:48pm On Mar 03, 2009
As far as i know there is no biblical commandment oppossing marrying more than one wife. The few verses people use is sibject to various interpretations. Several prophets of God in the bible had more than one wife. i leave this subject to the clergy men in da house but lots of women who go any length to prove it is unchristian.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by tpia: 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by KunleOshob(m): 3:22pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

Its very wrong for a Christian to have more than one wife.

A key requirement for the early church bishops was they should be the husband of only one wife.

Nothing ambiguous at all about this verse.
Anybody who cant control his lusts yet wants to be a Christian should find a minister or pastor who will tell him what he wants to hear, and not necessarily the bible.

Typical attitude of all these idol worshipping babalawo dependent "Christians".
there is truly nothing ambiguos about the verse except that you are the one trying to quote it out of context. The verse was speaking to bishops/deacons in the church and NOT all church memebers. in essence what the verse is saying is that as long as you are not a bishop or a deacon you can have more than one verse.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JJYOU: 3:31pm On Mar 03, 2009
macdove:

is it right for a chisten to have more then one wife?
it is never right.  imagine one woman having 2 or 3 of you  in her house as husbands. look nice doesn't it?

Lagosboy:

As far as i know there is no biblical commandment oppossing marrying more than one wife. The few verses people use is sibject to various interpretations. Several prophets of God in the bible had more than one wife. i leave this subject to the clergy men in da house but lots of women who go any length to prove it is unchristian.
o boy nawao.  u are something else.  where are your verses allowing Christian men to marry more than one? can you tell us the happiness in the homes of these several prophets?there are loads of ungodly things the bible wrote about.  it is not licence to practice them.

the bible said happy is the man that have his house full of children not wives.  there are loads of people sincerely wrong about their interpretation of the bible.
KunleOshob:

there is truly nothing ambiguos about the verse except that you are the one trying to quote it out of context. The verse was speaking to bishops/deacons in the church and NOT all church memebers. in essence what the verse is saying is that as long as you are not a bishop or a deacon you can have more than one verse.
so where is your verse for this sir? ever heard of the priesthood of the believer?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 4:01pm On Mar 03, 2009
Moses,David Solomon,Abraham all had more than 1 wife yet they were great prophets of God in the bible and God never reprimanded them in the bible. I also dont know of any statement of Jesus prohibiting the marriage of more than 1 wife from the mouth of the master himself in the bible.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JJYOU: 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2009
Lagosboy:

Moses,David Solomon,Abraham all had more than 1 wife yet they were great prophets of God in the bible and God never reprimanded them in the bible. I also dont know of any statement of Jesus prohibiting the marriage of more than 1 wife from the mouth of the master himself in the bible.
it is like you would have been happy to grow up in their household as a son considering the wahala. am i right?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by MrCrackles(m): 4:17pm On Mar 03, 2009
Personally i am not a fan of two or more wives

You cant love the women equally so what is the point?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 4:19pm On Mar 03, 2009
JJYOU:

it is like you would have been happy to grow up in their household as a son considering the wahala. am i right?
Solomon grew up in the household of David and became a great man himslef, Joseph grew up in the household of Jacob and became a greatman himself, Judah grew up in the house of Jacob and had a whole tribe called jews.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by tpia: 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Yisraylite(m): 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2009
If your under the vatican's sodomite doctrine then you should not have more than one wife, but you could have mistresses, male and female whores on the side ,cheat on your one wife preferably infecting her with the aids virus and all other known STDs also grin

cheers to the good life!!!
Yisraryl
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by tpia: 4:24pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by KunleOshob(m): 4:29pm On Mar 03, 2009
JJYOU:

so where is your verse for this sir? ever heard of the priesthood of the believer?
The verses are quoted below. What as priesthood of believers got to do with being a church bishop or deacon?? the bible is quite clear on this topic, i hate it when people try to force their silly opinions and biases into the bible. if it is not there it is not there. Don't play with words like all this mischivious pastors.

1 Timothy 3:2:
2Now a bishop (superintendent, overseer) must give no grounds for accusation but must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, circumspect and temperate and self-controlled; [he must be] sensible and well behaved and dignified and lead an orderly (disciplined) life; [he must be] hospitable [showing love for and being a friend to the believers, especially strangers or foreigners, and be] a capable and qualified teacher,

1 Timothy 3:12:
12Let deacons be the husbands of but one wife, and let them manage [their] children and their own households well.

AMPLIFIED BIBLE
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by KunleOshob(m): 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

helloo!!! read before typing plz! I specifically mentioned bishops aka elders!

as for the rest of your comment- you're not even a Christian so technically this thread doesnt concern you. But just for the record, look up the verse where something was written about God creating One man and One woman in the beginning. Not one man with multiple wives.

If thats too hard for you to hear, then find a church where they'll allow you to do as you wish. No wahala!

Naijas have come again with their "culture" doctrine!
Look at this clown claiming to be a christian yet he has no love in his heart. The fact that my understanding of christianity is superior and different to your brainwashed dogmatic instituitionalized church and men inspired version does not make me not a christian. You really need to do a reality check here. That aside the fact that God created only one woman with Adam is not an instruction or directive that man must only marry one wife. After all God allowed several of his followers and prophets to marry more than one wife in the bible. And there is NO were in the bible that having more than one wife is condenmed. personally i do not encourage polygamy but it is a sin to ADD to the word of God or manipulate the scriptures to suit our opinions. If it is not there just accept it as that and stop drawing silly unrelated parrallels like the Adam example.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by DeReloaded: 4:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

Personally i am not a fan of two or more wives

You cant love the women equally so what is the point?

Never understood it myself. Dont know why they fool themselves thinking that they can
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by tpia: 4:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JeSoul(f): 4:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
1 Corinthians 7:2
But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband

1 Corinthians 7:33
But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife

1 Corinthians 9:5
Don't we have the right to take[b] a believing wife [/b] along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas ?

Ephesians 5:31
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Have More Then One Wife? -  from the above passages what do you think? is there a reason "wife" is singular in the above verses?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by DeReloaded: 4:49pm On Mar 03, 2009
Lol JeSoul to the rescue tongue
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by benedictac(f): 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2009
KunleOshob:

Even the muslims are running away from ploygamy and you christian want it?

1Cor.7: 2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

So where do u place this Kunle?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by benedictac(f): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2009
KunleOshob:

Look at this clown claiming to be a christian yet he has no love in his heart. The fact that my understanding of christianity is superior and different to your brainwashed dogmatic instituitionalized church and men inspired version does not make me not a christian. You really need to do a reality check here. That aside the fact that God created only one woman with Adam is not an instruction or directive that man must only marry one wife. After all God allowed several of his followers and prophets to marry more than one wife in the bible. And there is NO were in the bible that having more than one wife is condenmed. personally i do not encourage polygamy but it is a sin to ADD to the word of God or manipulate the scriptures to suit our opinions. If it is not there just accept it as that and stop drawing silly unrelated parrallels like the Adam example.

@ Kunle, Pastor know it all
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JeSoul(f): 5:00pm On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

Lol JeSoul to the rescue tongue
lol indeed grin  cool  all this arguing when the NT scriptures are bursting at the seams with references to 1 man and 1 wife.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by KunleOshob(m): 5:02pm On Mar 03, 2009
JeSoul:

1 Corinthians 7:2
But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband

1 Corinthians 7:33
But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife

1 Corinthians 9:5
Don't we have the right to take[b] a believing wife [/b] along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas ?

Ephesians 5:31
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Have More Then One Wife? -  from the above passages what do you think? is there a reason "wife" is singular in the above verses?
There is still no clear cut instruction that christians should marry only one wife. What can at best be inferred from the above posts is that having only one wife was encouraged but it was not a commandment. We all agree it is better to have only one wife any way. The wahala of woman is more than enough talkless of two or more.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JJYOU: 6:57pm On Mar 03, 2009
Lagosboy:

Solomon grew up in the household of David and became a great man himslef, Joseph grew up in the household of Jacob and became a greatman himself, Judah grew up in the house of Jacob and had a whole tribe called jews.
i know if you can stay in lagos any hell would do. dont you remember the mayhem in these homes. you only saw the glamour you didnt see the pain and betrayals the children from this homes suffered.  i dont like the smell of polygamy.  one of the things that taught me islamic religion cannot  be right is my grand dad packing women he couldnt afford.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Yisraylite(m): 7:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
@tpia

Na by force to follow your perverted gospel? Today you're ifa priest, tomorrow you're sango adherent, now you want to start teaching others bible!

Is there any form of 419 some Nigerians don't do!

Now that's some funny S#)&  grin grin grin grin
LMAO!!!!!!!
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 8:00am On Mar 04, 2009
JJYOU:

i know if you can stay in lagos any hell would do.
No need for this comment as 15 million people live in the City of excellence and the economic nerve of the nation. The former country capital and the only progressive state in the country, lagos goes down Nigeria goes down, Sweet Sweet Lagos!!! Oh my dear Lagos !! The megacity of Africa !!! Eko oni baje o!!

JJYOU:

dont you remember the mayhem in these homes. you only saw the glamour you didnt see the pain and betrayals the children from this homes suffered. 
Cane and abel were from this same mother and there was a greater betrayal and jelousy in the bible. I was taught to look at the positives in everything and acknowledge the negative but not dwelling on them. "the optimist sees the doughnut while the pessimist sees the hole" The point we are discussing is not the good or bad of polygamy but wheather God forbade it or not thats the issue. God never reprimanded or commanded his beloved prophets not to engage in it in the bible and jesus never forbade it either and he said he never came to abolish the law but to fullfil.

JJYOU:

i dont like the smell of polygamy.  .

You dont have to like it for it to be right or wrong and there are many muslims who dont like it either and dont engage in it as it is a personal choice and muslims dont have to marry more than one wife and God forbade them from doing it if they fear they wouldnt be able to deal in justice with them. We should note here that justice here is not equal love as this is impossible for a mortal to do, even a mother cannot love her children equally but she can do justice between them to the best of her ability and fear God in doing so.
JJYOU:

one of the things that taught me islamic religion cannot  be right is my grand dad packing women he couldnt afford.

Then judaism and christianity cannot be right and all the prophets of God that practised it were on the wrong and their faith cannot be right. The religion of Moses could not be right and Solomon,David Abraham,Elijah,Jacob (Israel) were all on the wrong according to your analogy.

Your grand dad was on the wrong for having wives he couldnt afford and your grand mums were on the wrong for marrying him when they knew he couldnt afford to take care of them , it is not islam that taught them that. We should learn to know d difference between a faith and the followers. How can i generalise that christianity is religion of killers because of the witch kids of akwa ibom been killed by men of god, I would be foolish to make such a generalised statement and i urge you to reflect again.

We should also separate our emotions from this kind of issues so we could make unbiased analysis.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by JJYOU: 12:53pm On Mar 04, 2009
a very clever optimist.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Image123(m): 12:12pm On Mar 05, 2009
It is not right for a christian man to have more than one wife.He is a christian man,subject to the new covenant.He is supposed to follow the examples of the early christians.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 12:17pm On Mar 05, 2009
Image123:

It is not right for a christian man to have more than one wife.He is a christian man,subject to the new covenant.He is supposed to follow the examples of the early christians.

Any reference for this new covenant condeming the practice?
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Image123(m): 1:27pm On Mar 05, 2009
@lagosboy
1Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
Believers had examples by which they patterned their life.That's why they were encouraged to be followers of the apostles.
1Corinth 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an example.
1Peter 3:13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?
Monogamy is good and that is wat the early church saints practised.thats wat their leaders and workers practised as some have already shown on this thread.Thats what was from the beginning.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by Lagosboy: 1:48pm On Mar 05, 2009
nothing u have stated here says polygamy is wrong for any reason. You have only exoressed a personal statement that monogamy is good.

I havent seen anything from the master himself Jesus (peace be upon him) that says polygamy is wrong.
Re: Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? by KunleOshob(m): 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2009
Lagosboy:

nothing u have stated here says polygamy is wrong for any reason. You have only exoressed a personal statement that monogamy is good.

I havent seen anything from the master himself Jesus (peace be upon him) that says polygamy is wrong.

No mind am na so e dey always twist scripture to impose his opinion on the bible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Created God? / Evidence The Devil Is In The Vatican - Pope's Chief Exorcist / Ashimodollar - 24 Hour Miracle Seed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.