Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,577 members, 7,958,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:12 AM

Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage (894 Views)

9 Buhari's Ministers that Nigerians think Are 'incompetent' / Is This What Nigerians Have Been Reduced To?(pics) / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by ZeezaRapture(m): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
A new survey carried out recently over
same-sex marriage, which has just been
signed into law in the United States of
America, has revealed what Nigerians make
of homosexual relationships.

This also comes about 18 months after the
former president, Goodluck Jonathan, signed the same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act into law,
which effectively ensured same-sex unions in
Nigeria became a criminal offence punishable by
a maximum sentence of 14 years’ imprisonment.

This Day reports that according to an
independent poll conducted by NOI Polls Limited,
a country specific polling service that conducts
periodic opinion polls and studies on various
socio-economic and political issues in Nigeria,
most Nigerian adults still remain in support of the law.

The poll result suggests that this support is
unaffected by the recent legalisation of same-
sex marriage by the United States Supreme
Court, revealing further that most Nigerians
have, regardless of the law, refused to accept the
lesbian, gay and bi-sexual (LGB) community and practices in the society.

About 87 per cent of adults who were randomly
interviewed from the country’s six geopolitical
zones said they would not accept a family
member who is homosexual with a larger
proportion of Nigerians (90 per cent)
expressing their disbelief about people being born homosexual.

NOI’s Director of Research, Dr. Bell Ihua,
disclosed that the poll was conducted in
partnership with the Initiative for Equal Rights
(TIERs) and Bisi Alimi Foundation, chiefly to
measure the perception of Nigerians towards the
LGB community.

“This new figure is down 5-points from the 2013
poll result, where majority (92 per cent) showed
support for the bill. More findings revealed that a
majority of Nigerians (81 per cent) do not
believe homosexuals should have the same
rights as other Nigerians.

“Furthermore, the results showed that 9 in 10
Nigerians (90 per cent) do not believe people
are born homosexual, suggesting that being
gay is a quality that is acquired through life’s
experiences. “87 per cent of those interviewed stated that
they would not be willing to accept a family
member who is homosexual; although 11 per
cent showed willingness to accept a gay family
member.

“In conclusion, Nigerians do not support marital
rights for the LGB community, however they are
slightly in support of some socio-economic
rights,” Ihua said.

There was jubilation in the USA last week, following the announcement by the Supreme
Court that the country had legalised same sex marriage throughout the federation.

www.naij.com/477252-nigerians-express-their-views-on-same-sex-marriage.html

cc lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by 1bunne4lif(m): 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
Won't comment until obama accepts mugabe's proposal
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Edwardhead(m): 1:14pm On Jul 02, 2015
so?
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Orina(m): 1:14pm On Jul 02, 2015
okay
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Bibidear(f): 1:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
Thats good,say no to lesbians and gays

1 Like

Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by pauloftarsus(m): 1:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
the tolerance for this thing will grow
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Mamaflex(f): 1:34pm On Jul 02, 2015
Summary please. Just not in mood of reading long post. Especially when there is no paragraphs, it drives me crazy.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by ZeezaRapture(m): 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
Mamaflex:
Summary please. Just not in mood of reading long post. Especially when there is no paragraphs, it drives me crazy.

in summary, majority of nigerians dont support same-sex rubbish
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
I hate "gays", buh we shld not condemn dem. Jesus Christ did not condemn dem, all we nid to do is to pray for dem.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Mamaflex(f): 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2015
ZeezaRapture:

in summary, majority of nigerians dont support same-sex rubbish
offcourse! We don't, and we won't.

Thanks
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by ZeezaRapture(m): 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
lalasticlala, Ishilove, i yaff made the post more presentable and suitable to read, re-check to confirm!

Can it go to "dream-land" nowembarassed
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
Say no to same sex marriage. Say no to same sex marriage. Say no to same sex marriage.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by MKO4ever(m): 4:14pm On Jul 02, 2015
ZeezaRapture:
A new survey carried out recently over
same-sex marriage, which has just been
signed into law in the United States of
America, has revealed what Nigerians make
of homosexual relationships.

About 87 per cent of adults who were randomly
interviewed from the country’s six geopolitical
zones said they would not accept a family
member who is homosexual with a larger
proportion of Nigerians (90 per cent)
expressing their disbelief about people being born homosexual.

cc lalasticlala, Ishilove

??

1 Like

Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by MKO4ever(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2015
Mamaflex:

“In conclusion, Nigerians do not support marital
rights for the LGB community, however they are
slightly in support of some socio-economic
rights,” Ihua said.

1 Like

Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by brainpower(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2015
Nigeria will never legalize same sex marriage because we are not completely a secular state. A larger part of the country practice Islam which has a stiff penalty to that. Any president that supports it will be seen as a sell out. Not that I have a problem with them, provided they don't try it on me or my family members. And if I should vote, I will vote against it. Common sense and nature will show us that it isn't normal and I'm not talking about spirituality.

US are hypocrites, they are against polygamy yet they forget that it is also supposed to be the person's right to marry how many wives they want. One day that law will be repealed too.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by unclejb2(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2015
pauloftarsus:
the tolerance for this thing will grow
Ewu! U would have been long dead before then.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by pauloftarsus(m): 9:05am On Jul 03, 2015
K
unclejb2:
Ewu! U would have been long dead before then.
Re: Survey Releases What Nigerians Think About Same-sex Marriage by drtwist(m): 9:06am On Jul 03, 2015
what is same sex marriage, em! Lol I don't wanna believe it is when Mr IBU marry TINUBU is what they are talking about o.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo, Yoruba Groups Blast Buhari Over Northern Dominated Appointments / Ministry Of Information Goffed Big Time On Radio Biafra / Boko Haram Is Losing -buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.