Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,640 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (75985 Views)

Compel Osinbajo-led FEC To Declare Buhari Unfit, Court Told / Senate Gives Osinbajo 3 Conditions To Accept Magu / It's Wrong For Mikel, Siasia To Accept $390,000 Gift - Senator Ogba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Dragonking: 8:32am On Jul 15, 2015
As President Muhammadu Buhari prepares to meet with his United States counterpart, Barack Obama, in the White House next Monday, the US government is expected to make another case asking the Nigerian government to repeal its law against same-sex unions.

Making this known Monday, the US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, stated that the US would continue to pressure Nigeria until it legalises same-sex marriage.

According to the Nigerian Pilot, Thomas-Greenfield revealed America’s plans yesterday during a live-web chat with journalists in Washington DC.

US recently legalised gay marriage, a development, which sparked off mixed reactions across the globe.
Thomas-Greenfield, who said the US had adopted the protection of the rights of same-sex people as part of its foreign policies, vowed that Washington would continue to mount and sustain pressure on Nigeria and other countries to reverse their laws against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender (LGBT) community.

She said: “As a government, it is one of the highest priorities and strongest values that discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be available to everybody.
“As a policy, we will continue to press the government of Nigeria, as well as other governments which have provided legislation that discriminate against the LGBT community.”

Thomas-Greenfield, who did not agree that pressuring Nigeria to reverse the anti-gay law amounted to interference, said Nigeria and Uganda have the hardest legislation on the gay community.

She said: “This is very much a work in progress, but I think you will agree with me that the law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating against this community but also people who associate with them. So, we will continue to press the government, to press the legislature to change these laws and provide human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of their sexual orientation.”
Thomas-Greenfield was optimistic that the US would win the fight to protect the LGBT community.

She continued: “With what is happening in the US, you can determine how far we are willing to go. We strongly believe human rights for all people and we are particularly opposed to legislation that actually targets the gay community for discrimination.
“So we are prepared to push this as a policy, not just in Africa but across the world.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/us-we-ll-compel-nigeria-to-accept-same-sex-marriage/214603/

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by HungerBAD: 8:33am On Jul 15, 2015
The first time i saw two men kissing was in London, specifically at the St James's Park on a cool summer day many years ago. I still remember the shock and revulsion i felt.

I stood transfixed, staring at them for about 5 Minutes and was just turning my head around like AM I THE ONLY ONE SEEING this,and then it hit me, i was no longer in Africa and even if i had been living in the US, i was yet to see two men kiss. It was a cultural shock for me to see two men make out.

I hated gays.

Then one day in Church, at a bible study. Somebody asked the pastor that if the Church preaches a lot of things about repentance and acceptance,why then do they still find it hard to accept gays?the pastor's reply was an eye opener.

And then it hit me. Why do i exactly hate gays?they don't bother me, they sleep with each other,they marry each other,they pay their own bills,i don't even know them.

As i grow older, i have learned to be very tolerant of others. I have also learned to mind my business with how others handle their lives, that is why i do not judge married women/men when they cheat in their marriages, i am not in their marriage so don't know what lead to the infidelity.

While i do have my personal reservation about the gay thing, i have come to accept the fact that my feelings will not stop people from being gays, or stop them from loving each other. i have also come to accept the fact that no matter what, there will be others that will have sexual orientation that is different from mine.

In Nigeria, there have been instances where men have been caught making love to goats and chickens. Nairaland even carried some of those pictures.

So what am i saying?people should let other people live their lives the way they deem it fit. what you cannot correct, leave alone.

***Modified***

So i wrote this on the last page, but feel i should add it here too.

Did not know my harmless comments will ignite a firestorm, literally.

No i am not gay, neither am i advocating for gay rights.

So, i took the time to read all the comments here, plus the insults and all, and i find them to be very entertaining.

I am also very appreciative of the mature replies by some, even if they disagree with my views. We all cannot have the same views about things in life, and for the fact that you don't see things my way,or i your way , does not necessarily need for it to get to name callings, insults and the rest.

I have a right to my views. I am a grown man,and my views is with the school of thought that the GAY people should be left alone. If they are not bothering you, they are not a threat to your being, did not steal from you, did not come to you for any kind of relationship, do not have any contact with you in any way.

THEN LEAVE THEM ALONE.

My last page on this topic.

286 Likes 29 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 15, 2015
HungerBAD

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Freciprocal: 8:37am On Jul 15, 2015
Seems they have been watching so many vampire movies... undecided

Compel kor, propel ni grin

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
The devil is a liar.

Not in Nigeria

God will not allow it.

If the Americans have sold themselves to the devil, we have not.

503 Likes 32 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
OBOY
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Hysmady(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
Yeepaa! shocked Buhari abeg no gree for dis one oh

35 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by kazmanbanjoko(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
United states are d ones sponsoring boko haram just bcoz we didn't legalize gay marriage

Anywayz, King Sunny Ade, sometimes also calledthe Minister of Enjoyment, was born in Oshogbo, Nigeria in 1946, the son of a Methodist minister. He began his musical career when, after dropping out of grammer school, he drifted to Lagos and joined a highlife band. Inspired by the music of I.K. Dairo, he joined the Rhythm Dandies, led by Moses Olaiya (later known as Baba Sala, Nigeria's preeminent funny man and a prolific film maker). King Sunny was influenced by the legendary Tunde Nightingale (early Juju pioneer extraordinare) and borrowed stylistic elements from Nightingale's 'So wa mbe' style of juju.
In 1966 he formed his own band, the Green Spots. After a long eight years in which they recorded 12 LPs for the Nigeria-Africa Song label, in 1974 he entered into increasingly annoying contract hassles and a public court case. This experience prompted him into forming his own recording company linked to Decca Records. At this time he changed the name of his band to the African Beats.
King Sunny Ade and The African Beats tour with the typically large African line-up of 20-30 members. They play a spacey, jamming sort of Juju, characterized by tight vocal harmonies, intricate guitar work, backed by traditional talking drums, percussion instruments, and even adding the unusual pedal steel guitar and accordian.

I no smoke weed ooo. I just taya for diz gay mata.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by alaoeri: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
Na by force? We say no to sodomy.

55 Likes 3 Shares

kennygee:
The devil is a liar.
Devil here?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Maintech: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
If it was Jonathan i would have said maybe but with Sai Baba... you better have another thought coming because with his Islamic background that is a no-go area. He wont even seat across the table to have such a dirty, inhumane, dehumanizing, adulterous, morally-depraving, ignominious, sadistic, devilish, barbaric, demonic, and gory discussion with anyone including Obama, the killer of Osama.

145 Likes 15 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Olofintoto(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
na by force?

10 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by hazyfm: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
NEVER!!

6 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by yorubadelta(f): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Why don't they "compel" Nigeria to fix it's economy, electricity and bad roads? No, they would ignore those key problems but fight vehemently for the legalization of rubbish.
These are truly the end times.
Awon Oniranu angry

322 Likes 28 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by hazyfm: 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
alaoeri:
Na by force?

ABEG HELP ME ASK THEM

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Sijo01(f): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Chaiii.... ... .guys its time you start covering your nyash with the blood of Jah.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by malbro(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Wetin concern me. I be virgin naaah
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by MeAndYou(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
US have always compelled Nigeria to accept everything in the past, even saggy dressing.
So, Nigerians should get prepared to swallow the bitter pill as always.

But it will not work this time oooo grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Freemanan:

Devil here?

Yes now.

We might not be the most righteous pple in the world.

But this is madness.

8 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by UnknownT: 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
I guess that is her "wishlist" to us. cool They should start the push from Russia first

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by polpoer: 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Compel Nigeria Let's watch and see the end of this drama going on between Nigeria and the US. 1000000 unclad people will protest here. Lol

That ploy will not see the light of the day.

1 Like

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Bisjosh(f): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by gratiaeo(m): 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
God will punish Obama

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
If PMB considers this, then APC has failed Nigerians and her tradition!

But I doubt he will!

A soldier of his calibre isn't a dummy!

5 Likes

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by willyede(m): 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
HungerBAD:
The first time i saw two men kissing was in London, specifically at the St James's Park on a cool summer day many years ago. I still remember the shock and revulsion i felt.

I stood transfixed, staring at them for about 5 Minutes and was just turning my head around like AM I THE ONLY ONE SEEING this,and then it hit me, i was no longer in Africa and even if i had been living in the US, i was yet to see two men kiss. It was a cultural shock for me to see two men make out.

I hated gays.

Then one day in Church, at a bible study. Somebody asked the pastor that if the Church preaches a lot of things about repentance and acceptance,why then do they still find it hard to accept gays?the pastor's reply was an eye opener.

And then it hit me. Why do i exactly hate gays?they don't bother me, they sleep with each other,they marry each other,they pay their own bills,i don't even know them.

As i grow older, i have learned to be very tolerant of others. I have also learned to mind my business with how others handle their lives, that is why i do not judge married women/men when they cheat in their marriages, i am not in their marriage so don't know what lead to the infidelity.

While i do have my personal reservation about the gay thing, i have come to accept the fact that my feelings will not stop people from being gays, or stop them loving from each other. i have also come to accept the fact that no matter what, there will be others that will have sexual orientation that is different from mine.

In Nigeria, there have been instances where men have been caught making love to goats and chickens. Nairaland even carried some of those pictures.

So what am i saying?people should let other people live their lives the way they deem it fit. what you cannot correct, leave alone.

Sure we will but not here in Nigeria as the Spelling alone is disgusting

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Egwuda33: 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
America should take their help and stick it in their A.ss for all I care. Gay Marriage is a NO NO..... I knew Obama was definitely up to something.
#SayNotoGayMarriage. click like if you agree with me

230 Likes 11 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Photo Of The Accident That Killed Patience Jonathan's Mum / Judges Order Peter Obi’s Legal Team To Go Home / Fashola And Tinubu Meet At Wedding Of Olusegun Osoba's Daughter (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.