Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77126 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Ralphlauren(m): 11:46am On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
my name is Goodluck. my names are Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

Block head.

And to think fellow block heads like yourself also clicked "like" in support of your glaring grammatical blunder. undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Ichechi(m): 11:46am On Jul 04, 2015
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]To be on the safe side, rather than say 'my name is/are Goodluck Jonathan'', say 'I am Goodluck Jonathan'.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by eduxerxes: 11:47am On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

actually and ordinarily, I'd have employed u as an HOD of English studies in my school but...**clears throat**

Furthermore, using "my names are" should always be followed by all the nouns associated with u as a person e.g my names are Henry Nwa-Fada Obysco. A person's name and surname is regarded as "singular" in English taxonomy. Unless u've aka's which refers to plurality of identity. QED!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ThunderTrail(f): 11:48am On Jul 04, 2015
Better ELIMINATE THE TWO And go for,
I Am GOODLUCK EBELE JOHNATHAN
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Catalyst4eva(m): 11:48am On Jul 04, 2015
It is unenglish to use "My names are" when u are introducing urself cuz ur name is ur identity and it refers to u as an individual whether u bear one, two or three names.

So always say "My name is Stephen Onyeka Eze" or "My name is Stephen" Or "My name is Stephen Eze". Which ever way, it is always "My name is" becuz ur name is ur identity.

Hope that clears the air??

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by bolla1129(m): 11:48am On Jul 04, 2015
My name is...........
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

Cc:Lalasticlala,Ishilove,obinoscopy
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kobe79: 11:49am On Jul 04, 2015
typical Nigerian English!!!!!

the name of an INDIVIDUAL no matter how complex or its multiciplicity is Singular and should only carry obviously the singular tense structure { my name is Jin Chen Wi}.
However, where an individual is also known by certain aliases and there is need to put ''and" it naturally follows the plural structure as the speaker is technically denoting asides his first,middle and last name { which are simple and singular } he is also known by an alias in this case the individual goes "my names are Jin Chen Wi and Raleigh Bulldog{Street name}"

Note in this case the speaker is letting the audience know i am "plural" in nature{ known by different names depending on environment or office}

4 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ScholarDee(m): 11:49am On Jul 04, 2015
the two are correct

My Names Are...[/b]

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

Cc:Lalasticlala,Ishilove,obinoscopy[/quote]
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by grammarcop(m): 11:49am On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

my name is grammatically correct, because you have one name(first-name) the rest is inherited (last name)

my name is Malcolm X

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Btruth: 11:50am On Jul 04, 2015
Both are corrects depending on how you use them. Example: My name is Btruth or My names are Bitter Truth.

Happy weekend.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by grammarcop(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

nothing like "my names are"

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Gurgle(f): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

Both are grammatically correct, however

"my name is" is more accepted in culture, because you will be able to tell by the nature of the conversation you are having whether or not your full name is required.

"my names are" is fine grammatically but would sound strange if you were to say it to somebody. culturally its not really ok

EXCEPT if the conversation had distinguished a need for expressing "name", "middle name" and "surname". for example in a form-filling exercise, where the person was asked to write down "all their names"

its like the words "found" and "founded", or "money" and "monies". the latter cases are grammatically correct but most of the time not culturally ok to use unless an unusual situation warrants their use
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by staneless(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
U can say, "my name is John Michael" or "my names are John Michael",...all are grammatically correct.

N/B: u cannot say: "my name are" or "my names is"...this is ungrammatical. the verb i.e "is" & "are", goes with a singular and plural noun respectively i.e "name"(= singular noun) & "names" (=plural noun)
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Burger01(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
My name 'is' Burger...Burger 01smiley

I am Burger 01 smiley
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by luggy(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
the real grammer is my names are
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ETHIX(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
my name is Goodluck. my names are Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

Wrong pls

Nothing like my names are

My name is correct even if u have 100 names

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 04, 2015
(1) HOW ARE YOU AND (2) HOW IS YOU ? WHICH ONE IS CORRECT
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kellydakull(m): 11:52am On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

I love great dissector like this head. What do you care for?

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by lucky032(m): 11:54am On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

My name is,is correct
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by IYANGBALI: 11:54am On Jul 04, 2015
No matter how many names you have,it is always "My name is iyangbali seun eleko1 vickyrotex mukina2 rokiatu okowunmi abedo animashaun"
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by FemiFaniKayode: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2015
kobe79:
typical Nigerian English!!!!!

the name of an INDIVIDUAL no matter how complex or its multiciplicity is Singular and should only carry obviously the singular tense structure { my name is Jin Chen Wi}.
However, where an individual is also known by certain aliases and there is need to put ''and" it naturally follows the plural structure as the speaker is technically denoting asides his first,middle and last name { which are simple and singular } he is also known by an alias in this case the individual goes "my names are Jin Chen Wi and Raleigh Bulldog{Street name}"

Note in this case the speaker is letting the audience know i am "plural" in nature{ known by different names depending on environment or office}

Prof na English u study?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Lasese: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2015
My name is Repent cry

My names are Repent or u perished sad
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MizMyColi(f): 11:56am On Jul 04, 2015
kellydakull:
I love great dissector like this head. What do you care for?

Cokegrin

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Originalsly: 11:57am On Jul 04, 2015
Wow!..I can't believe this is up for debate! Like someone said earlier...your name is your identity. What is your name? It is no different from asking what is your pin number. Do you say my pin numbers are 2345678 because there are more than one digit? ....or do you just say 2 because you were asked for pin number and not pin numbers? In the same way the digits/numbers all form that one pin number/identity...it's the same way all the names written on your birth certificate form your name/identity. If someone has another name or identity....my name is still used and the non birth certificate name is added behind aka (also known as).Travel to any other country in the world and say My names are...... and people would think you are a fool, never went to school or don't know basic English. At all times...My name is ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by IYANGBALI: 11:57am On Jul 04, 2015
ETHIX:

Wrong pls

Nothing like my names are

My name is correct even if u have 100 names
God bless you jare,na me and you follow pass the exam,others na olodo especially the poster below me
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Evicsholar(f): 11:57am On Jul 04, 2015
Biologically, it takes a genus and a species to have a scientifice name(not names) just like surnmame n first name. The scientific name of man is Homo sapien and not the 'scientific names of man are homo sapien'. So 'my name is' is correct.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by oluwatosin85: 11:58am On Jul 04, 2015
it is grammatically wrong to say my names are even if u have more than one name. the rule is my name is...................

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by flames007(m): 11:59am On Jul 04, 2015
see commotion!as for me,i've not read anywhere where someone says,'my names are.No,not in one single book/site.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by grammarcop(m): 12:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
gulfer:
What about 'My Names was' ? angry angry angry angry

just look at this one..... SMH
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by peedeeasobie(m): 12:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
A name consists of first name, middles name and last name.

Name = first name + middle name + surname.

When asked "what is your name", it means what's your first name, middles name and surname.
My name is "first name + middle name + surname.

My name is Charles Edet Tinubu.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by damiloladuke: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
depends on the usage, both are correct

PRESIDENT BUHARI MUST READ MY SIGNATURE

YOU SELF MUST READ IF YOU WANNA LAFF TIRE TONIGHT
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by patricknz(m): 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
But your name and your lastname is your identity representing you as a singular entity cheesy
Exactly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking / Osun Mega School Aregbesola Built With N2 billion Is Fading Away In The Bush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.