Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77134 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

I had to say this; BABE YOU KNOW BOOK.
Haha! I would like to see you among world leaders.
Continue what you do, you will soon get to that point where you deserve and as well gain EVERYTHING good.

Wish I was like you, but I just , love weed and alcohol. cheesy
Continue to be good!

My younger sister is like yyou.I love it! *wipes tears*

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by fejicruz(m): 12:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
For people who attended night school, they taught them "my names are". But for folks like us who went to proper schools, we were taught "my name is".
On a serious note, have you ever watched CNN and a presenter said "my names are Larry King" or "my names are Christy Amanpour"? There's nothing like my names are.

3 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by delors(m): 12:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
my name is Goodluck. my names are Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
You are wrong.
We are identifying only one person! You could have 2million names but all these names identify only one person...so your name is...
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Berrymoss(f): 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink slayer of English language

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
ElDeeVee:
If you're a graduate and you insist it should be MY NAMES ARE when introducing yourself, you need to do just two things;

* Return the certificate issued to you.
* Refund your father his hard earned money.
undecided

Lol. Exactly o

Nigerian education system grin

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Btruth: 12:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Another block head undecided

Awon egbon nii ile. Stupid.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by richyrichlady(f): 12:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
singular and plural
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by fairygeh(f): 12:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by dsenator: 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
I can tell you authoritatively that my name is .........,........,.,even to the tune of five different names for an individual is the correct option. In the U.k where I have lived for fifteen years,I have never heard any Englishman or woman say my names are ...... before. The English language we speak is from England and I strongly believe that my names are .,................. is peculiar to only some people in Nigeria. You can not be more of a catholic than the pope.

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by fruitfulBROTHER(m): 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is Edward. - singular My names are Edwards. - plural. Or My name be Edward. - singular. My names na Edwards. - plural. ....... From ur Engilis teacher. Mr. Fruitful. P.hd, Hiv, P.vc, Bvn.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MizMyColi(f): 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
EggovinMma:

I had to say this; BABE YOU KNOW BOOK.
Haha! I would like to see you among world leaders.
Continue what you do, you will soon get to that point where you deserve and as well gain EVERYTHING good.

Wish I was like you, but I just , love weed and alcohol. cheesy
Continue to be good!

My younger sister is like yyou.I love it! *wipes tears*

Thanks a lot for this, I appreciate.

Thanks to everyone commending the post.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by OpraMenu(m): 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

You are correct, in fact in Anambra man's tongue 'I rov you'

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MizMyColi(f): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
musicwriter:

Thanks for your kind understanding. And, if you have time read this link.

Elite brainwashing is the last stage of mental slavery http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

No problem, I will.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by teebaxy(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
BECAUSE OF THE WORD "MY" IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE MY NAME IS. THAT IS CONCORD AGREEMENT
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gmus: 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
Something doesnt sound or look right about saying "my names are..."

Goodluck - fname
E bele - mname
Jonatha- sname

total names = 3

My name is Goodluck -correct ( singular subject require singular verb. 'Name' and ' Good luck' refers to dsame thg so dy must agree in no.

My names are Goodluck,Ebele and Jonathan-correct ( plural subject takes plural verb.'Names' and 'Goodluck, Ebele, and Jonathan' refers to dsame thg so dy must agree in no.

My name is Good luck Ebele Jonathan- correct( singular subject takes singular verb. 'Name' and 'Goodluck Ebele Jonathan refers to d same thg so dy must agree in no. 'Good luck Ebele Jonathan' is definely singular -no comna and no conjunction and therefore it is a unit.

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by fejicruz(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
It's obvious you went to school without shoes. How many people are you referring to as Goodluck Ebele Jonathan? Is it not one person?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by erimmy(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Yeah you nailed it there. I guess I will be inclined to support your analysis. Good job.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by huthority01(m): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Instead use: I am Adebayo, Adebayo Oladeji, a graduate of crime and investigation from the university of --------- with five years work history as a customer service officer with Phillips consult bla bla bla.......
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kuphid(f): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

You nailed it.
One million likes.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Originalsly: 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
2016 JAMB
Which TWO are correct?
A. My name is Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo
B. My names are Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo
C. My names are Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo, D'banji, Koko Master
D. My name is Oladapo
E. My name is Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo aka D'banji, Koko Master.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by optimusprimer(m): 12:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

The correct way to introduce yourself is 'my name IS'.
Whether you have 5 names or one, all is what you are called cus all refers to just you. If you introducing more than one individual for instance you and your wife, you will then say our name are Hon. Dr and Dr. Mrs Ishola Yusuf Godwin.

This is something interviewers look out for during an interview and judge u on.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kilomeji2: 12:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
No matter the length of the string of your name, 'is' is grammatically correct because the combination of names identify a singular individual. 'Are' may be used in a situation where you may have other names ( first name & surname).
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 04, 2015
Bearing more than one name does not make u to say my names are, all the names make ur identity and so they belong to u and that is ur name
i feel ashame when our senators will stand up will boldness in the house and utter such from their mouth "my names are" i have not heard it in movies, films, documentary, flicks etc where oyinbo will say my names are, i think it is made, manufature and sold in Nigeria English. My name is coreect die like witch

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by mayorisaac: 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
Please if you have anybody that wants to write post utme tell them to visit this site for their FREE UNILORIN POST-UTME online practice
test/questions at www.lumenforum..com
Good luck.
pls share...
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kuphid(f): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
dsenator:
I can tell you authoritatively that my name is .........,........,.,even to the tune of five different names for an individual is the correct option. In the U.k where I have lived for fifteen years,I have never heard any Englishman or woman say my names are ...... before. The English language we speak is from England and I strongly believe that my names are .,................. is peculiar to only some people in Nigeria. You can not be more of a catholic than the pope.

Thank you for this post. Abeg tell them o, Nigerians now speak better English than the owners of the language... 'My names are' indeed
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by U2ice(m): 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
Dis kinda threads make me realize am nt wasting my time on NL....tnks mismycoli

Not all those useless topic lk 10 things u need to knw abt pusssy..rubbish

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by dayojags10(m): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Olodo rabata. Stop eating 'ori eja' wink
you sha wan popular,ok.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by heavenmade(m): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2015
What should make the use of "are" correct is separation of the names with Comas. If not "is" is the appropriate. Or better still,use "I am...."
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gmus: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
freedom96:
its is used to show posession,I think it's concord is what u ought to have used not its concord.

friend in grammer u never ever use d aprostrophe and s to show possessn. u use its. it's is contraction for it is just as don't is to do not.

EDIT: Generally, aposrophe and s is used to show possessn for nouns but dy are used to show contractn for pronouns.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 1:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Totally agree with you. using "is" indicates a unit while "are" which is also correct suggests you're are breaking the names apart (no longer a unit)

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by DeRuggedProf: 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
angry. No answer is wrong. It all depends on the category of the weed you use.. grin

Thunder Fire whoever complicated our lives with grammar.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by deife(m): 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:

No Miss. It is "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan". You can take this assertion to the bank. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking / Osun Mega School Aregbesola Built With N2 billion Is Fading Away In The Bush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.