Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil (2865 Views)

10 Wonderful Benefits Of Cucumber / 10 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Coconut Water For Kids / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 11:33am On Jul 06, 2015
For all lovers of beauty, here is a piece u need to read (in between lines)

Yes, according to our experts. Coconut oil is used in many natural beauty products, and for good reason: It's naturally antibacterial and antifungal, it's an excellent moisturizer, it can penetrate hair better than other oils, and, well, it smells like cookies. 

"Yum," says Tieraona Low Dog, MD, director of the fellowship program at the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. "Is there anything more luscious than coconut oil?"

We can't think of anything. But we can think of 10 amazing uses for it in your very own home that don't require spending a fortune on store-bought products. In fact, all you need is one thing: Raw (and preferably organic) virgin coconut oil. 

Here, count on two hands our completely natural DIY beauty tricks with coconut oil.

1. To soothe dry hands
This won't work for dry digits when you're on the go, but at home, coconut oil can work wonders on your dishwashing-parched hands. "I keep a jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil by the kitchen sink and put a little on after washing my hands to keep them soft and moist," says Low Dog. And if you cook with coconut oil—you can sub it for butter in baking recipes because it’s solid at room temperature—scoop out a little extra for your hands, too. "Whenever I cook with coconut oil, I make sure to moisturize my hands with it too," says Katrine van Wyk, a holistic health and nutrition coach based in New York.

MORE: 7 Reasons Your Hands Look Old—And How To Fix Them

2. As a cheekbone highlighter
Nothing perks up a tired face like a little highlighter, but you don't need store-bought products to achieve the same effect. Simply sweep a small amount of coconut oil on top of makeup and leave it alone. It looks like your skin but glowier, which is why many natural makeup brands use it as a base ingredient in their formulas. If you're looking for a more portable option, try the cult favorite Living Luminizer by RMS Beauty, which has a coconut-oil base and light reflecting pigment.

3. To shave your legs

Photo by Getty Images

Conventional shaving cream is an expensive cocktail of chemicals that you don't need to get a nice clean shave on your legs or underarms. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is inexpensive, naturally antimicrobial, and smells divine. Plus, its skin-soothing properties will leave your legs looking hydrated (but never greasy).

4. As a deep-conditioner
There's a reason many conditioners contain coconut oil: It's better able to penetrate hair (and prevent protein loss) than mineral and sunflower oil, according to research. "I use it in my hair and on my skin for deep conditioning," says Tasneen Bhatia, MD, an integrative doctor and owner of the Atlanta Center for Holistic and Integrative Medicine. Apply a quarter-size dollop to your hair, comb it, and then pile it into a loose bun. You'll want to place a soft towel over your pillow or sleep in a shower cap. In the morning, shampoo as usual with a gentle cleanser.

5. To remove eye makeup
Yes, coconut oil even works on waterproof mascara! Put a little on a cotton ball and gently sweep it over your eyes, paying attention to your under-eyes as well. The oil does a great job breaking down waxy, inky eye makeup, and leaves the delicate area hydrated, too. Once you're done, wash your face as usual.

6. As a body moisturizer
A recent animal study found that when applied topically, virgin coconut oil can speed up wound healing, and a human study found it to be effective in increasing hydration and reducing water loss in seriously dry skin. Sounds like a recipe for a really good lotion to us! It's a health-expert favorite, too. Says Wyk: "It smells delicious, is very affordable, and leaves my skin feeling nourished and smooth."

7. To clean your face

Because coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, moisturizing and, according to research, great for atopic dermatitis, many women swear by its use as a nighttime moisturizer for their face, too. Try the double-cleansing method: Simply rub the oil in circular motions all over your face and neck, giving yourself a gentle massage as you go. When you're done, wash off the residue with your favorite cleanser. (If you're adult-acne prone, avoid this technique unless you know your skin tolerates coconut oil.)

8. To add shine
Smooth a tiny amount of coconut oil onto your ends to add a little shine, or on flyaways if you have dark hair. Remember that a dab will do you: Any more and your hair might appear greasy.

9. In a luscious body scrub
Here's a little DIY beauty secret: That store-bought body scrub you save for special occasions? It's a waste of money. That's because you can make one yourself with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Low Dog agrees. "I love to do this. It's wonderfully moisturizing, great for the skin, inexpensive, and blissfully absent of chemicals you can't pronounce!" To make your own, Low Dog suggests melting ½ c of coconut oil at very low heat. Pour it over 1 c of brown sugar or salt and stir well. If you have some on hand, add in five drops of your favorite essential oil or some pure vanilla extract for a scrub so fragrant you'll want to eat it.

10. For a little rubdown
Many store-bought massage oils have either coconut or jojoba oil as their base. Cut out the middleman and go straight to the bottle. It's slippery, skin-friendly, and moisturizing, too.

Pm me if u need one at an affordable pricewink
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Precious91(m): 11:43am On Jul 06, 2015
Wow.thanks cutehector
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 11:48am On Jul 06, 2015
Precious91:
Wow.thanks cutehector
my pleasure... Cmon, u need one.. Not all these processed ones buh 100 percent natural.. No additives
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Precious91(m): 11:54am On Jul 06, 2015
Cutehector:
my pleasure... Cmon, u need one.. Not all these processed ones buh 100 percent natural.. No additives
I will get in touch
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 11:55am On Jul 06, 2015
Precious91:

I will get in touch
alright...
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by yorubadelta(f): 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2015
Removing eye makeup is the best one..
Thanx for this smiley
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by mizzhoneey(f): 1:29pm On Jul 06, 2015
All Available!

1.(SKIN CARE INGREDIENTS( for soaps/creams/Gel/ scrubs)

1. AHA( alpha hydroxy acid)
2. GLYCOLIC ACID
3. LACTIC ACID
4. ASCORBIC ACID
5. KOJIC ACID POWDER
6. CITRIC ACID
7. SALICYLIC ACID
8. ALLANTOIN
9 .HQ ( on request)
10. VITAMIN A (retinol)
11. Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
12. Turmeric powder
13. Sandalwood /Camwood powder
14. Aloe Vera Extract
15. Titanium Oxide (Sunscreen)
16. Propylene Glycol (skin conditioning agent,stabilizer)
17. Methyl Paraben ( PRESERVATIVE)
18. Zinc Oxide ( UV protector,astringent,skin healing)
19. Vitamin E
20. Glycerin

*** SECTION B.
( BUTTERS/ WAXES/ EMULSIFIERS)

1. Emulysyfying Wax
2. Beeswax
3. Stearic Acid

*** SECTION C.
Fragrances.

1.Vanilla
2.Orange
3.Lemongrass
4. Strawberry

*** SECTION D.
OTHERS.

1. Raw Black soap
2. Collagen(liquid)
3. Avocado Oil
4. BRAGGS Apple Cider Vinegar.
5. Rose Water Concentrate(pure)
6. Coconut Oil
7.Blackseed Oil
8.Blackseed Soap
9.Kojic Carrote Soap
10.Glutathione Soap
11.Argan Herbal Soap

2) OILS( all 30ml)

1. Carrot
2.Eucalyptus
3.Peppermint
4.Mint
5.Onions
6.Garlic
7.Apricot
8.Sweet Almond
9.Henna
10.Castor
11.Chamomile
12.Blue Chamomile
13.Lemon
14.Fenugreek
15.Ginger
16.Rose
17.Aloe Vera
18. Bitter Almond Oil
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 11:22pm On Jul 06, 2015
mizzhoneey:
All Available!

1.(SKIN CARE INGREDIENTS( for soaps/creams/Gel/ scrubs)

1. AHA( alpha hydroxy acid)
2. GLYCOLIC ACID
3. LACTIC ACID
4. ASCORBIC ACID
5. KOJIC ACID POWDER
6. CITRIC ACID
7. SALICYLIC ACID
8. ALLANTOIN
9 .HQ ( on request)
10. VITAMIN A (retinol)
11. Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
12. Turmeric powder
13. Sandalwood /Camwood powder
14. Aloe Vera Extract
15. Titanium Oxide (Sunscreen)
16. Propylene Glycol (skin conditioning agent,stabilizer)
17. Methyl Paraben ( PRESERVATIVE)
18. Zinc Oxide ( UV protector,astringent,skin healing)
19. Vitamin E
20. Glycerin

*** SECTION B.
( BUTTERS/ WAXES/ EMULSIFIERS)

1. Emulysyfying Wax
2. Beeswax
3. Stearic Acid

*** SECTION C.
Fragrances.

1.Vanilla
2.Orange
3.Lemongrass
4. Strawberry

*** SECTION D.
OTHERS.

1. Raw Black soap
2. Collagen(liquid)
3. Avocado Oil
4. BRAGGS Apple Cider Vinegar.
5. Rose Water Concentrate(pure)
6. Coconut Oil
7.Blackseed Oil
8.Blackseed Soap
9.Kojic Carrote Soap
10.Glutathione Soap
11.Argan Herbal Soap

2) OILS( all 30ml)

1. Carrot
2.Eucalyptus
3.Peppermint
4.Mint
5.Onions
6.Garlic
7.Apricot
8.Sweet Almond
9.Henna
10.Castor
11.Chamomile
12.Blue Chamomile
13.Lemon
14.Fenugreek
15.Ginger
16.Rose
17.Aloe Vera
18. Bitter Almond Oil

For any of the above listed products.....

Call/watsapp.... 08166509811
I go soon wipe u cutlass
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 11:23pm On Jul 06, 2015
yorubadelta:
Removing eye makeup is the best one..
Thanx for this smiley
u neeed one?
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by ShakurM(m): 1:17am On Jul 07, 2015
2 all u wankers grin, Use Coconut oil henceforth

Have some self respect.
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by yorubadelta(f): 6:15am On Jul 07, 2015
Cutehector:
u neeed one?

Haha.. got some dear.. but ur post definitely taught me new things I could do with it smiley
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by mizzhoneey(f): 10:34am On Jul 07, 2015
Cutehector:
I go soon wipe u cutlass
U no get Axe? Or digger
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2015
mizzhoneey:

U no get Axe? Or digger
infact na hand I go take beat u sef... Rat.
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 7:06pm On Jul 08, 2015
Yourmain
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
Cutehector:
Yourmain

Lol I use coconut oil :')
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 8:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
YourMain:

Lol I use coconut oil :')
I knw... Watsup
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 08, 2015
Cutehector:
I knw... Watsup

I'm alright and yourself ?

How's the fever ?
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 8:46pm On Jul 08, 2015
YourMain:

I'm alright and yourself ?

How's the fever ?
its so gone... smiley been watchn a couple of movies
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
Cutehector:
its so gone... smiley been watchn a couple of movies

Awh great.

What movies ?
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
YourMain:

Awh great.

What movies ?
fast and furious 7, the hobbit:battle of five armies, Focus, sex education, superfast, let's be cops
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 08, 2015
Cutehector:
fast and furious 7, the hobbit:battle of five armies, Focus, sex education, superfast, let's be cops

Woah. You try oo.

So I'm learning pidgin wink
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 2:53am On Jul 09, 2015
YourMain:

Woah. You try oo.

So I'm learning pidgin wink
hahahahahaha dats so nice... Who z teachin u?
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
hahahahahaha dats so nice... Who z teachin u?

Nollywood grin grin
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 9:00am On Jul 09, 2015
YourMain:

Nollywood grin grin
lmao.. I neva knew u had a thing for nollywood...
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
For all lovers of beauty, here is a piece u need to read (in between lines)

Yes, according to our experts. Coconut oil is used in many natural beauty products, and for good reason: It's naturally antibacterial and antifungal, it's an excellent moisturizer, it can penetrate hair better than other oils, and, well, it smells like cookies. 

"Yum," says Tieraona Low Dog, MD, director of the fellowship program at the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. "Is there anything more luscious than coconut oil?"

We can't think of anything. But we can think of 10 amazing uses for it in your very own home that don't require spending a fortune on store-bought products. In fact, all you need is one thing: Raw (and preferably organic) virgin coconut oil. 

Here, count on two hands our completely natural DIY beauty tricks with coconut oil.

1. To soothe dry hands
This won't work for dry digits when you're on the go, but at home, coconut oil can work wonders on your dishwashing-parched hands. "I keep a jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil by the kitchen sink and put a little on after washing my hands to keep them soft and moist," says Low Dog. And if you cook with coconut oil—you can sub it for butter in baking recipes because it’s solid at room temperature—scoop out a little extra for your hands, too. "Whenever I cook with coconut oil, I make sure to moisturize my hands with it too," says Katrine van Wyk, a holistic health and nutrition coach based in New York.

MORE: 7 Reasons Your Hands Look Old—And How To Fix Them

2. As a cheekbone highlighter
Nothing perks up a tired face like a little highlighter, but you don't need store-bought products to achieve the same effect. Simply sweep a small amount of coconut oil on top of makeup and leave it alone. It looks like your skin but glowier, which is why many natural makeup brands use it as a base ingredient in their formulas. If you're looking for a more portable option, try the cult favorite Living Luminizer by RMS Beauty, which has a coconut-oil base and light reflecting pigment.

3. To shave your legs

Photo by Getty Images

Conventional shaving cream is an expensive cocktail of chemicals that you don't need to get a nice clean shave on your legs or underarms. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is inexpensive, naturally antimicrobial, and smells divine. Plus, its skin-soothing properties will leave your legs looking hydrated (but never greasy).

4. As a deep-conditioner
There's a reason many conditioners contain coconut oil: It's better able to penetrate hair (and prevent protein loss) than mineral and sunflower oil, according to research. "I use it in my hair and on my skin for deep conditioning," says Tasneen Bhatia, MD, an integrative doctor and owner of the Atlanta Center for Holistic and Integrative Medicine. Apply a quarter-size dollop to your hair, comb it, and then pile it into a loose bun. You'll want to place a soft towel over your pillow or sleep in a shower cap. In the morning, shampoo as usual with a gentle cleanser.

5. To remove eye makeup
Yes, coconut oil even works on waterproof mascara! Put a little on a cotton ball and gently sweep it over your eyes, paying attention to your under-eyes as well. The oil does a great job breaking down waxy, inky eye makeup, and leaves the delicate area hydrated, too. Once you're done, wash your face as usual.

6. As a body moisturizer
A recent animal study found that when applied topically, virgin coconut oil can speed up wound healing, and a human study found it to be effective in increasing hydration and reducing water loss in seriously dry skin. Sounds like a recipe for a really good lotion to us! It's a health-expert favorite, too. Says Wyk: "It smells delicious, is very affordable, and leaves my skin feeling nourished and smooth."

7. To clean your face

Because coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, moisturizing and, according to research, great for atopic dermatitis, many women swear by its use as a nighttime moisturizer for their face, too. Try the double-cleansing method: Simply rub the oil in circular motions all over your face and neck, giving yourself a gentle massage as you go. When you're done, wash off the residue with your favorite cleanser. (If you're adult-acne prone, avoid this technique unless you know your skin tolerates coconut oil.)

8. To add shine
Smooth a tiny amount of coconut oil onto your ends to add a little shine, or on flyaways if you have dark hair. Remember that a dab will do you: Any more and your hair might appear greasy.

9. In a luscious body scrub
Here's a little DIY beauty secret: That store-bought body scrub you save for special occasions? It's a waste of money. That's because you can make one yourself with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Low Dog agrees. "I love to do this. It's wonderfully moisturizing, great for the skin, inexpensive, and blissfully absent of chemicals you can't pronounce!" To make your own, Low Dog suggests melting ½ c of coconut oil at very low heat. Pour it over 1 c of brown sugar or salt and stir well. If you have some on hand, add in five drops of your favorite essential oil or some pure vanilla extract for a scrub so fragrant you'll want to eat it.

10. For a little rubdown
Many store-bought massage oils have either coconut or jojoba oil as their base. Cut out the middleman and go straight to the bottle. It's slippery, skin-friendly, and moisturizing, too.

Pm me if u need one at an affordable pricewink
Me need, give me high price and I will send ISIS after you. Reply asap bro.
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by makeoverarena: 5:24pm On Jul 09, 2015
coconut oil healthy for skin and makeup ...www.makeoverarena.com/how-to-apply-foundation
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 5:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
ORIENTNIGERIA:

Me need, give me high price and I will send ISIS after you. Reply asap bro.
lol coconut oil isn't groundnut oil bro.. Even groundnut oil is costly... Its just 1200 per bottle...
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
lol coconut oil isn't groundnut oil bro.. Even groundnut oil is costly... Its just 1200 per bottle...
I dey use gps to track your location so that I go send the ISIS.
what's the size of the bottle, and location...don't just mention 1200 for me here abeg...contact details?
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 6:29pm On Jul 09, 2015
ORIENTNIGERIA:

I dey use gps to track your location so that I go send the ISIS.
what's the size of the bottle, and location...don't just mention 1200 for me here abeg...contact details?
my number is at my profile... And I stay in lagos.. I will send u d pic of d size... Bros, to get one bottle of coconut oil, u must hav broken like a fifty coconuts and grinded...
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
my number is at my profile... And I stay in lagos.. I will send u d pic of d size... Bros, to get one bottle of coconut oil, u must hav broken like a fifty coconuts and grinded...
That means you are giving me the coconut oil + the broken coconut abi? grin..
Have copied your number, would give you a call. Cheers
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by Cutehector(m): 7:52pm On Jul 09, 2015
ORIENTNIGERIA:

That means you are giving me the coconut oil + the broken coconut abi? grin..
Have copied your number, would give you a call. Cheers
lol no wahala.. Will be expectn ur call soon
Re: 10 Wonderful Amazing Effects Of Coconut Oil by gynny(f): 12:03am On Jul 19, 2016
Best treatment for dry hands? If you’ve got dry hands, the first thing to do is moisturize them right away. There are also steps and lotions for hands you can take to keep them from drying out so much in the first place. Click on the link below to read more.
http://www.gigihealth.com/best-treatment-for-dry-hands-secrets-to-beautiful-younger-looking-hands/

(1) (Reply)

Vitamin & Minerla Supplements For Body Builders! / My Nose Is Always Blocked At Night / Universal Solvent, The Most Important Nutrient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.