Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,430 members, 7,812,276 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight (54860 Views)

5 Mistakes First-time Travelers Make / 5 Train And Railway Safety Mistakes Nigerians Make Too Often / 6 Questions To Ask Before Booking A Hotel Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by lalasticlala(m): 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2015
Flying in Nigeria is expensive and booking airfares can become a nail-biting experience especially if you are yet to master the trick of take advantage of discount bookings offered by airlines.

While there is nothing you can do to avoid paying more than you’d like for airfare in Nigeria, there are a few things you can avoid to keep from paying more than you should.Jovago.com, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has identified 5 common mistakes Nigerians make when booking a flight.

Booking too early

When it comes to flying, the super early bird really does catch the worm. While booking early for travel to popular destinations, as well as travels on high-traffic days and peak seasons may seem like a good rule of thumb, getting your flight ticket more than three months before the trip will most likely not yield the best price as you will be charged a higher fare.

You stand the greatest chance for the lowest possible fare 45 days out for domestic travel and 60 days for international because outside that time window, most airline computers are not programmed to give you any kind of a deal.

Also, airlines are still confident they will find a maximum amount of passengers to fill the seats, so they keep the fare high enough for extra benefits. It seems like a very tricky thing to do but booking at the right time can save you money.

Booking too late

Neither too early, nor too late! Do not hold off too long to book your tickets especially when it is for an international trip.

Apart from business trips which very often tend to be impromptu, you can plan your honeymoon, vacations and retreats in advance. If you have already marked out the probable flying date on the calendar, why not book a flight ahead to get rebates on airfare?

In Nigeria, the difference between today and tomorrow’s airfare depending on the available seats on flight is staggering.

Some airlines still offer low-cost, last-minute flights, especially when they are running a promo, but the likelihood is slim.

The only other exception to this is the bargain shopping found at the counter of these airlines on the morning of departure. In a mad scramble to fill the plane, some airlines reduce the cost of tickets and giving you the option of saving thousands of Naira on a choice flight. This, however, is usually an option reserved for those who know how to hustle.

Booking during business hours

If you are a savvy Nigerian traveller, you will know that airline ticket prices fluctuate throughout the day and you have a chance of making substantial savings just by booking at the right hour or time of the day.

Many people who do not know this trick end up paying more for their flights.

Business hours (9 am – 5 pm) are the worst times to book your airfare as there are a large number of others trying to book a flight ticket and the rush in traffic inevitably ups the ticket rates.

Travel experts say that the best time to book a flight is actually Wednesday at 1 a.m (in the time zone the airline is based) as all of the super-low fares that were not purchased come back onto the airline’s system, providing a prime opportunity to take advantage of a glut of discounted ticket prices. Good thing is that you can do this online in Nigeria too.

Not booking with the airline

In Nigeria, there are so many platforms that assist with airfare comparison and flight bookings.

While this seems like a good option to take, especially as it makes booking super easy and convenient, it can cost you much more than you are willing to deal with. Apart from the charge they tack on to book through them, sometimes these websites get your information wrong or give you incorrect details on the airline you are booking on.

For instance, they can charge you normal flight rates when the airline is running a seasonal promo. So once you have done research and found the lowest available flight, get on the airline’s website or call them directly to book the flight yourself.

Not clearing your cookies

This might a little too tech for some travellers, but it is a huge mistake most people who book their flights online make. Every savvy traveller is well aware of the fact that most airlines track online behaviour of their users, that way they identify which flights that are searched frequently per time and up the airfare for such flights.

It is therefore important to clear your cookies or book on another computer altogether after shopping for fares on one computer, as that is the best way to counter the trend. You can even take it a step further by changing your location or simply asking someone in another location to make the booking for you. Again, you can beat the IP issue by using your mobile device as long as you it is not also using your home Wi-Fi connection.

http://encomium.ng/5-mistakes-nigerians-make-when-booking-a-flight/

60 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Hammefeez: 12:51pm On Jul 08, 2015
I dedicate this to all Muslim in the world.
Happy Ramadan Kareem.

To my beautiful Nokia i say you are the best. To my ....... Ok my self i say more fortune my way and success is mine now and forever Amin.
Now to the Topic:
Noted. I'll make sure i don't make those mistakes whenever i wan fly. grin

5 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by benedictnsi(m): 12:55pm On Jul 08, 2015
Buh what if you can turn to a housefly What if you were merlin or Zedd

You no even need any craft again grin

11 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Sunday8650: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2015
Lagos to abuja book it by 1am shocked shocked. I don't think your strategy works on domestic flights.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Sunday8650: 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
Who flies by 1am in Nigeria to other states.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Bilabong(m): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2015
Sunday8650:
cool
Sunday8650:
Ok i see
Only you two plots? C'om give me one
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Sunday8650: 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2015
Bilabong:

Only you two plots?
C'om give me one
Oya na take one below me grin grin grin
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by steffans(m): 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2015
OK... Thanks Lala

When I start traveling by air.. i will keep it in mind..

interested in Properties Check my profile wink
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
Number 5 is d real issue

2 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
Alright.
Meanwhile...
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by markidoo(m): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
This nairaland flight seat number 10 is booked no trespassing pls.
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
Clear Cookies?! Didn't know that one o! undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by dechandel(f): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2015
Booking early can sometimes be worth it..

If you book a flight during festive periods,Christmas most especially, be sure to pay almost double of the normal flight fare.. Virgin atlantic comes to mind!! With their wack food undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by danpaul1(m): 2:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Apart from "booking too late", all the other 'mistakes' are not mistakes

3 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by dramenda(f): 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
Thanks
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Ok

1. Booking too early: I disagree as exchange would have changed dramatically.
2. Booking too late: I agree
3. Booking during business hours: I agree as i wait till mid-night before booking
4. Not booking with the airline: I disagree as their platform is most times not friendly. Agency no go chop again.
5. Not clearing your cookies: Ok

Travels and Tours business sef...singing

alpha, bravo, charlie, diamond, ego, .....................jonathan.............................zebra grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by skihacker(m): 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by generaliy07(m): 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2015
https://samueliyanu./2015/07/08/the-gods-are-not-now-to-blame/

See why we should blame God, yes, click and read, it takes less than 2 minutes to do just that
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Mathsprof: 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2015
Wetin concer me? Nigeria is corrupt, insurgency here and there. Which way Buhari?
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by ayusco85(m): 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
I never fly before
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by jaybee104(m): 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by blexy3(f): 2:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
hw that one take concern me?
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Olalekanbanky1(m): 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2015
Ok
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by YerYer: 2:41pm On Jul 08, 2015
Never book on weekends or monday, best time to book is btwn 2am -4am on Wednesdays

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by kwaraguy(m): 2:42pm On Jul 08, 2015
steffans:
OK... Thanks Lala

When I start traveling by air.. i will keep it in mind..

iwink
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 08, 2015
Kentrasso:
Good

I don't want to open a thread but I need an answer to this question. My friend just got wedded and uploaded a picture of herself and hubby just outside their new home or somewhere. Its was a photo grid of several photos and I noticed that the guy was having a massive bo.ner while snapping those pics. Should I tell her to take down the pics undecided I'm sure nobody will want to tell her but it's quite obvious. Don't want to hurt her feelings too
You sound phoolish. No offence.
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 08, 2015
Sunday8650:
Who flies by 1am in Nigeria to other states.

The benin man

Running nigerian aviation since the 17th century
Pilot na im all of them be

Come to think of it, its an edo man that runs arik air, one of the biggest airlines in nigeria
Arumemi-johnson

Oba itope e!
Ise!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by ichommy(m): 2:44pm On Jul 08, 2015
Jovago making waves. Advert tinz.
Re: 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight by ylaa(f): 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2015
FEW COMMENTS COS WE R USE TO KEKE, OKADA AND DANFO. MAY GOD DELIVER US FROM WHAT IS STOPPING US FROM BOOKING FLIGHT.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos: See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport! / Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest / LASG Rolls Out 65 Buses...to Inject 550 Buses For Feeder Routes (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.