Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. (2099 Views)

Nigerian Man Who Intentionally Shuts Down Wife In Front Of Their Kids Changes / Update On The Woman Whose Husband Took To Sharia Court For Praying Too Much"PICS / Who Comes First In A Man's Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by NifemiOlu(m): 3:59pm On Jul 09, 2015
Facebook designer Caitlyn Winner says she noticed the male icons were symmetrical (except for the hair) but the woman "had a little chip in her shoulder".
The "chip" was the point where the male would go when placed in front of the woman in group icons. This upset Caitlyn. "The woman was quite literally in the shadow of the man."
"I shared my complaint with a designer friend and she helpfully pointed me to the poster... which proclaimed: "Nothing at Facebook is someone else's problem.'
Caitlyn set about making a new woman icon - including getting rid of the "Darth Vader-like helmet" hair.
She also played around with using two, rather than three figures for the friends icon. Finally she just decided to stick the woman at the front.
"As a woman, educated at a women's college it was hard not to read into the symbolism of the current icon; the woman... was not in a position to lean in."
Lean In is the title of the best-selling book authored by a Facebook boss Sheryl Sandberg, it is also her mantra created to encourage female empowerment.
Caitlyn thought she would get into trouble for changing the design without permission, but "instead, and somewhat magically, the new icons began to appear" across Facebook.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33441900/why-facebook-changed-its-friend-icon-so-the-woman-comes-first

BBC twitter followers tweeted thus (samples)
@Dekashoko: @BBCNewsbeat she couldn't possibly have made them equal to each other could she. the woman just HAS to be in front b/c equality or something

mikey_meece: @BBCNewsbeat what a surprise

@kishroka: @Dekashoko @BBCNewsbeat I personally think the "him creeping up behind her is 'rapey'

Dekashoko: @fdGhtP54 @kishroka @BBCNewsbeat pssh who cares about those women. THIS is the real feminist victory.

@Dekashoko: .@BBCNewsbeat why does one have to be in front of the other. if she wanted equality she could have put them alongside each other.

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Cutehector(m): 4:01pm On Jul 09, 2015
Does it make any difference?

1 Like

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by NifemiOlu(m): 4:03pm On Jul 09, 2015
The haircut grin
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 4:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
Nanotechnology things.

smaller is where its at these days, nothing is too little to pay attention to.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 09, 2015
Want my view on this?
I'll tell you.
Girls run the world. cool

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by cococandy(f): 4:58pm On Jul 09, 2015
I didn't even notice until now.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by crackhaus: 5:07pm On Jul 09, 2015
@Dekashoko: .@BBCNewsbeat why does one have to be in front of the other. if she wanted equality she could have put them alongside each other.

6 Likes

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by mystiqueDZ(f): 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2015
Nice....
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by pickabeau1: 5:37pm On Jul 09, 2015

@kishroka: @Dekashoko @BBCNewsbeat I personally think the "him creeping up behind her is 'rapey'
undecided
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
in her mind now, it is gender equality

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by TV01(m): 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
Does it make any difference?

...if you are a creature driven by emotions, captive to your own desires and live to be esteemed, along with possessing a colossal sense of entitlement and an unshakeable victim mentality - it most certainly does!

TV

1 Like

Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
Women let trivial things get to them undecidedi
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Afrobasic(m): 9:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
TV01:

...if you are a creature driven by emotions, captive to your own desires and live to be esteemed, along with possessing a colossal sense of entitlement and an unshakeable victim mentality - it most certainly does!

TV

Loool

True.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:13pm On Jul 09, 2015
Anton7:
Women let trivial things get to them undecidedi

they won't be women if trivial things don't get to them. grin thank God i ain't a woman.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:13pm On Jul 09, 2015
abi na gay marriage if the female is backing the camera?
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpiander:
abi na gay marriage if the female is backing the camera?

you are insane!
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:34pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:

I am insane!

wonder why that struck a nerve.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:36pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpiander:

wonder why that struck a nerve.

your mental illness struck my nerve. cheesy
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:

My mental illness struck my nerve. cheesy
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpia - your menopausal symptoms have struck again. you would soon fade away like the memory of pòrn. grin
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:
my mama's menopausal symptoms have struck again. I will soon fade away like the memory of pòrn. grin

you are sick.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpiander:

you are sick.

since you don't have a mother....it's not hard to see why you don't value one. you were belched out of the orifïce of a village witch.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:

since I don't have a mother....it's not hard to see why I don't value one. I was belched out of the orifïce of a village witch.

you are sick.

stop addressing me plz.

no sane person lands on a thread and spews out insults 24/7.

get help.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpiander:

you are sick.

stop addressing me plz.

no sane person lands on a thread and spews out insults 24/7.

get help.

it shall not be well with your entire generation for playing the victim card, you this old hapless hag that has the personality of a jizz rag.

your mates are in their retirement homes - enjoying the fruits of their labour while you are here looking for a young man to ensnare. do you not know any shame? a morön at 48 is an imbëcile forever.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 9:58pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:

it shall not be well with my entire generation for playing the victim card, my mama is an old hapless hag that has the personality of a jizz rag.

my mates are in their retirement homes - enjoying the fruits of their labour while i am on nairaland 24/7 posting trash like a useless goat.

I am here looking for a young man to ensnare. do I not know any shame? a morön ;like me at 48 is an imbëcile forever.

stop addressing me old goat.

royal roy come and carry your friend abi why you dey pretend you no see am.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by coogar: 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2015
tpiander:

stop addressing me old goat.

royal roy come and carry your friend abi why you dey pretend you no see am.

you will have to leave this forum forever if you don't want to be addressed - you this irresponsible daughter from a broken home!

now you are begging the mods after dragging your mother's clit in the mud? the mods cannot help you. they know your insanity is genetically-engineered!
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tpiander: 11:06pm On Jul 09, 2015
coogar:

I will have to leave this forum forever if I am useless like this -I am an irresponsible b.astard from a broken home!

now I am begging the mods after dragging my mother's dirty clit in the mud? the mods cannot help me. they know my insanity is genetically-engineered!

so because you are busted, your next thought is to jump on the thread and start displaying your gutter nature.

were.
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by tomy5: 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2015
ok
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by NifemiOlu(m): 8:27am On Jul 19, 2015
tpiander:

so because you are busted, your next thought is to jump on the thread and start displaying your gutter nature.

were.

Chai!
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 19, 2015
Re: Facebook Changes Its Friend Icon So The Woman Comes First. by freecocoa(f): 12:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
Na wa o, this one is strong o.

(1) (Reply)

Mother-in-law Criticized For Wearing Identical Dress With The Bride / My Husband / Can You Respect A Woman You Married Before You Make it More Than The One After ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.