Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? (34218 Views)

Owner Of Iphone 6 Sues Apple Over Unresponsive Touchscreens / Bephone Un030 Users Please Respond!!! / Nokia Prepares For Massive Comeback: Fans Keep Their Fingers Crossed - Newstac (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by INTERMAN: 6:08am On Jul 10, 2015
Reasons Androids Respond Only To Fingers

I know we have a lot of genius and brilliant people in this place. Ok. This is my question. Why is it that phones like androids, ipad,ipod etc does not respond to other things like erazer, pen,plastic,metals etc but only to human fingers and body?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Lexusgs430: 6:43am On Jul 10, 2015
Are you forgetting stylus input? Why does a car built to run on petrol, not accept water has an alternative means of fuel?

54 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Lexusgs430: 6:44am On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:
I know we have a lot of genius and brilliant people in this place. Ok. This is my question. Why is it that phones like androids, ipad,ipod etc does not respond to other things like erazer, pen,plastic,metals etc but only to human fingers and body?

Or why do human beings requiring blood transfusion, not get transfused with orijin bitters?

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:

Sony Z2 and Z3 respond to the HB pencil, while all Samsung note series respond to the S pen. Chinese phones are known to respond to fabrics like clothes and nylon.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by DjAndroid: 7:14am On Jul 10, 2015
Same reason some girls respond to money but don't respond to love.

264 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by SPG4U(m): 7:19am On Jul 10, 2015
I dey come make I sleep again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by crazo(m): 7:30am On Jul 10, 2015
erhmmmmmm
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Warlord3000(m): 7:33am On Jul 10, 2015
Lol.. Very funny post cheesy
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by wheesin(m): 8:35am On Jul 10, 2015
just the way your brain responds to asking foolish questions..

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by SporaD8: 8:53am On Jul 10, 2015
Do your research very well first.
Android phones respond to the follow - Negative end of tiger battery terminal, Banana stork or wet leaves stem, sachet silver foils(Gino sachet), etc
which ever object u try, make the contact point is wide enough like the eraser end of a pencil.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Tswap(m): 9:50am On Jul 10, 2015
An android screen kind of like picks up charges from the body that is why ur hand and a magnet will work on the screen

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by possibilita(m): 9:50am On Jul 10, 2015
Evrybody in this thread r idiots,d guy asked a question on what he observed bcoz he saw dat most fone especially d old chinko touch screens responds to anything even water but d latest ones don't except fingers and u guys starts typing rubish.if u don't know jst write "I was here,first to comment,jst passing,seen,etc." And leave not show y ur brain responds foolishly to good questions.

337 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by ignis: 10:19am On Jul 10, 2015
Just Observing that now ...
Nice Observation ...
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Itsalphaa(m): 10:20am On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:
Evrybody in this thread r idiots,d guy asked a question on what he observed bcoz he saw dat most fone especially d old chinko touch screens responds to anything even water but d latest ones don't except fingers and u guys starts typing rubish.if u don't know jst write "I was here,first to comment,jst passing,seen,etc." And leave not show y ur brain responds foolishly to good questions.
just what I wanted to say, abeg who knows. enlighten us

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Moblord(m): 10:45am On Jul 10, 2015
Not Only finger... just anything containing liquid. blood is d liquid in ur finger try using satchet water it'll work

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by adekennis(m): 10:45am On Jul 10, 2015
koice:

Sony Z2 and Z3 respond to an HB pencil, while all samsung note series respond to the S pen. Chinese phones are known to respond to fabrics like clothes and bed sheets. Sorry dude, but you don't know a damn thing.
I use Z3...u mean I can operate with HB pencil for real?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by elvision1(m): 11:04am On Jul 10, 2015
wheesin:
just the way your brain responds to asking foolish questions..

tell me what's foolish about the question and i would tell you why your classmates never saw you as a threat.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 10, 2015
adekennis:

Just get one and see for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by INTERMAN: 11:27am On Jul 10, 2015
Grrhhh, i don't know Nigerians are this dull. Even our phone Engineer don't know? Pls reply and don't whine me.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Muyogoa: 11:45am On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:
Grrhhh, i don't know Nigerians are this dull. Even our phone Engineer don't know? Pls reply and don't whine me.
i think it is due to CAPACITIVE SENSING not CONDUCTION(that is why it would still respond even with a nylon or cover on the screen) The phone screen require a thing like fingers ,body etc for sensing and calculation to know when and where you touched. I guess it is the gap(dielectric charge) between the finger and the capacitive sensing that cause it . The screen responds to the finger hovering above it even long b4 it touches the screen but the manufacturer simply place the screen at low threshold frequency (close to the screen) so that it wld observe to us as physical touch. I think Mr seun and lalasticlala will have a better explaination.

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by tmanis(m): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2015
mine responds to finger, back of spoon, pure water, orange peel, hot Eba, etc....

adekennis:
I've seen a review where someone played fruit ninja with a real knife on a z3

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by INTERMAN: 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2015
tmanis:
mine responds to finger, back of spoon, pure water, orange peel, hot Eva, etc....

I've seen a review where someone played fruit ninja with a real knife on a z3
you don't know reason why all that worked. Hmm...
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by oladunwo(m): 12:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
Moblord:
Not Only finger... just anything containing liquid. blood is d liquid in ur finger try using satchet water it'll work
And you are very correct

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by INTERMAN: 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
Muyogoa:
i think it is due to CAPACITIVE SENSING not CONDUCTION(that is why it would still respond even with a nylon or cover on the screen) The phone screen require a thing like fingers ,body etc for sensing and calculation to know when and where you touched. I guess it is the gap(dielectric charge) between the finger and the capacitive sensing that cause it . The screen responds to the finger hovering above it even long b4 it touches the screen but the manufacturer simply place the screen at low threshold frequency (close to the screen) so that it wld observe to us as physical touch. I think Mr seun and lalasticlala will have a better explaination.
nice 1

1 Like

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:
I have the answer. Those touch screens are actually capacitive touch screens. Due to this, they do not rely on pressure. They rely on the charge on the human body. Anything else that lacks static electricity won't work. smiley

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Valentinooo: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
Those ones that respond to only fingers are capacitive touchscreens. They work base on the principle of capacitors, charges and their conductance. And the human body is a good conductor of charge hence it's ability to respond not to only the finger but every fleshy part of the body. other instruments that can conduct charges well will also work. just go to Google and type "touch screen technology"

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by innocentii: 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
one thing I know is they respond to condomm...

wear your pencil or pen a condomm and see d phone cum fast to process your command..

Thnk me later
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by thinkdip(m): 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
it's a lie, have you tried your tongue? you'll be surprised if you do.
many people will try dis I swear!!! grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by petkoffDrake(m): 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
as Google

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by ShakurM(m): 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
If you stick your finger on a regular piece of glass, the most you can hope for is a smudge.

But if there's an electric field on the other side of the glass, some serious rearranging of electric charges goes on in the glass, in your finger and in the field itself. (Read more about electric fields).

And if there are dozens of small electric fields forming and disappearing in a grid formation on the other side of your glass screen, your phone can not only tell when a finger is touching it, it can pinpoint exactly where on the screen that finger is. Here's how...

Thanks to Dr Ben Buchler from the Department of Quantum Science at the Australian National University, and Professor David Jamieson from the School of Physics at The University of Melbourne.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by admax(m): 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
The answer lies in the type of screens that almost all handheld devices now use, which are known as “capacitive touchscreens”. Unlike “resistive touchscreens” (think old Palm Pilots with a stylus, some points of sale machines in checkout lines, and certain screens in hospitals and restaurants), which rely on pressure against the screen to register touch, capacitive touchscreens require contact with something that can conduct electricity (e.g., your finger, certain special styli, etc) to function.

In a nutshell, capacitive touchscreens work like this: humans conduct electricity and touchscreens have an electrical charge (or field). When you touch the screen you distort the screen’s electrostatic field at the point (or points) of contact which triggers the (hopefully) intended action in the device (e.g., opening an app, typing a letter, zooming in, etc).

Source http://www.touchscreengloverevie...

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Moustache: 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why U Should Root Your Android Phone / Top 10 Cheapest Android Phones In Nigeria Below ₦15,000 / How To Unlock MTN Sm@rt Mini S620 Dual SIM Android Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.