Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,777 members, 7,817,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Advice Needed Urgently! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice Needed Urgently! (639 Views)

Web Design Guru's Advice Needed. / Managing A Website, An Advice Needed / Web Hosting Advice Needed Urgently... Enter Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Urgently! by ogbiwa: 7:06am On Jul 10, 2015
hello,

heres the issue. Sometime ago i paid a programmer to build a blog for me. But i had issues with the guy and now i am paying another programmer to build a full site which i also want to host at that domain name that was used for the blog. Now i've asked the former guy for access to the server on which my blog is hosted so that we can build the new one on it and he has refused.
What i clearly need to know now is-
1. do i have the right of access to that server as the person that paid for the design and hosting of the blog
2. if i dont have the right per se, what are my alternatives because we must host using that domain name. can we buy the domain name afresh or can i ask the former guy to take down the blog so we can use it afresh.
Urgent advice needed pls
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by nairamaverick(m): 8:05am On Jul 10, 2015
I need a similar advice too
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by Donald3d(m): 8:45am On Jul 10, 2015
ogbiwa:
hello,

heres the issue. Sometime ago i paid a programmer to build a blog for me. But i had issues with the guy and now i am paying another programmer to build a full site which i also want to host at that domain name that was used for the blog. Now i've asked the former guy for access to the server on which my blog is hosted so that we can build the new one on it and he has refused.
1. do i have the right of access to that server as the person that paid for the design and hosting of the blog
2. if i dont have the right per se, what are my alternatives because we must host using that domain name. can we buy the domain name afresh or can i ask the former guy to take down the blog so we can use it afresh.
Urgent advice needed pls
its avery tricky situation was there any signed , or verbal agreement to that effect, if there was , do you have any witnesses, to be honest even though it may hurt , you don't have right over the domain(except there was an aggrement) ,because he bought it in his name ,number two you can't buy the domain afresh , except he gives u the the details of the domain for you to transfer it to another host, here is my advice if you need that domain badly try to sort things out amicably, if the domain is worth a lot (probably millions) you could sue him(if he doesn't like things done amicably) , but if the domain is not that important and you can forgo , if that's the case just let it go ,loook for a good and available domain name and strart afresh
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by Julius2214(m): 8:54am On Jul 10, 2015
I'm sure he hosted it on his own account. That's why he wouldn't give you the details.
And as for the domain, talk to him to let you transfer it to another host. That's the best option you'll get.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by ps3o(m): 9:01am On Jul 10, 2015
ogbiwa:
hello,

Urgent advice needed pls

The only way you can get your domain back is to host elsewhere and transfer the domain to another host company. How would you do this? It is simple. When registering for a web hosting account, you will asked to register a new domain. Just type your current domain! You will be told that it had been registered, and that you can transfer the domain to us at a fee. So, what's next? Wisely, tell the guy who once opened it for you, to accept Transfer Code(Don't call it a transfer code to him...he might never agree with you) which would be sent to his email.
As soon as he verifies that, your domain gets to the new hosting company's control.
That's all!
In case you need more advice from a professional developer, do not hesitate to do so by texting or calling 07031175291
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by ogbiwa: 9:25am On Jul 10, 2015
Donald3d:
its avery tricky situation was there any signed , or verbal agreement to that effect, if there was , do you have any witnesses, to be honest even though it may hurt , you don't have right over the domain(except there was an aggrement) ,because he bought it in his name ,number two you can't buy the domain afresh , except he gives u the the details of the domain for you to transfer it to another host, here is my advice if you need that domain badly try to sort things out amicably, if the domain is worth a lot (probably millions) you could sue him(if he doesn't like things done amicably) , but if the domain is not that important and you can forgo , if that's the case just let it go ,loook for a good and available domain name and strart afresh

bro let me ask pls, you mean he bought mycompanyname.com, which is the domain, in his name? in other words he owns the domain. so what did i pay for pls
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by spikesC(m): 9:46am On Jul 10, 2015
Donald3d:

What are you talking about? Domain ownership is always that of the client.

@op just ask him to transfer the domain to you. It's as simple as that
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by Donald3d(m): 1:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
spikesC:

What are you talking about? Domain ownership is always that of the client.

@op just ask him to transfer the domain to you. It's as simple as that
did u hear wat he said ,the guy denied him access
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by spikesC(m): 2:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
Donald3d:
did u hear wat he said ,the guy denied him access

That he denied him access doesn't mean he's right.
The owner of the domain is the client, whether the developer registered it in his name or not
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! by georgen2u(m): 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
This is why i have advised many not to use roadside web designers, can you imagine? this is outrageous! that Domain belongs to the clients as far as the client has paid all the dues they agreed on, its his property, anyway we are in Nigeria where a web designers can host as many clients websites in one control panel which is very bad and illegal, each clients should have their own separate account, but for the meantime, you should sort it cool with him because even if you call your lawyer, you have no evidence of ownership ( i guess since there was no written agreement) Beg him, knell for him, pet him (lol) until you grab the domain transfer code and transfer it. then you learn your lessons! lol Welcome to Naija Webmasters

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Moderator Needed For My Website Urgently / Do You Own A Bulksms Website Or Business ? / 7 Reasons You Should Not Start A Blog On A Free Platform <#4 Will Shock You>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.