Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You (17900 Views)

My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / My Boss Is Asking Me Out On A Date / My Boss Is Pushing Me To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Dafone(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
1. You are consistently expected to work extended hours

If you are an hourly employee, and you are working extra hours but not being compensated for them, then it’s easy to tell that your boss is taking advantage of you. However, the ability to discern what is fair when you are a salaried employee is more difficult. You will be expected to work longer hours sometimes, especially when your department or team is working on a very important project.

But if you are consistently being required to work many more hours than you traditionally have with no extra pay, your boss might be taking advantage of you. Many employees also bring work home, but again, if you are constantly working, then you need to consider what to do next.

2. You’re doing two or more jobs

Job duties and requirements change, so you can’t expect that your job will only entail the duties listed when you originally applied. However, if your company recently laid off another employee (or someone else left), and you are now responsible for doing your job plus theirs, there is a good chance that your boss or the company are taking advantage of you. If your boss believe that you will consistently do someone else’s work (with no end in sight), they have little reason to hire anyone new, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. According to Jeff Haden, in a piece for LinkedIn, employers also shouldn’t ask you to do something that was first assigned to another employee. Even if that employee slacked off, it shouldn’t be your responsibility. Your boss also shouldn’t send you on personal errands that they should be doing.

If you feel like you have more work than you can handle, you can try some tips from Idealist about talking to your boss. Make sure that you have specific examples, and that you avoid approaching the issue from an emotional standpoint (instead, try explaining that the quality of your work is being affected because you have so much work)

3. Your boss expects you to be friends with coworkers

While it’s important to get along with your coworkers, and be able to work together on projects, there is no need for you to be chummy with your coworkers or your boss. If your boss puts too much pressure on you and your coworkers to get close, that is one clear sign that your boss is putting too much emphasis on friendship. If your boss also brings up conversations that are not appropriate for work, and tries to get you and your coworkers to bond over personal stories or information, that can also be a sign that a line is being crossed. Your boss might mean well, but it really isn’t part of your job requirements to be friends with your coworkers.

Bosses should also never try to force employees to attend social events outside of work. Holiday parties, dinners, and work events, are supposed to be fun, but they shouldn’t be required (or even strongly suggested).

4. You’re never appreciated

Some bosses offer more verbal praise than others, and that’s completely understandable. However, if your boss constantly lays on the work, and never gives you any positive feedback, this can still be a way for your boss to take advantage of you. If your boss isn’t pleased with anything you’re doing, you probably wouldn’t have a job, so you know that you must be at least doing some parts of your job right. A boss doesn’t have to say much to show appreciation, and never saying anything, or being very critical all the time, affects employee morale. Everyone wants to be appreciated, and even though you get a pay check, it isn’t right for your boss to never show you any approbation. You don’t need to be thanked for everything you do, but some respect for your hard work is necessary.

5. Your boss doesn’t follow through

From planning to meet with you to discuss your pay, to failing to update you on important information about a new client or project, to ignoring your requests for time off or other requests, there are many ways that bosses don’t come through. Bosses are human, so sometimes they will mess up just like the rest of us. However, if your boss consistently promises something, but never delivers, you are definitely being taken advantage of, even if it isn’t deliberate. The stakes can be even higher if your boss offers you a promotion, a raise, or other rewards, and never follows through. You also might notice that your boss picks favorites, and that certain employees receive incentives that you never get.

There are many other ways that your boss can take advantage of you, and some of them are very serious. If your boss penalizes you in some way because you are single, married, have a certain sexual preference, are a specific race or sex, or any other discriminatory practice, you need to talk to human resources or seek outside help.

http://naijainfobase.com/?p=211

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by tymoti(m): 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by GuiltySpark343(m): 12:55am On Jul 11, 2015
its a nice post...thank you for sharing
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Dafone(m): 9:53am On Jul 11, 2015
GuiltySpark343:
its a nice post...thank you for sharing
U R WELCOME
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by veekid(m): 11:20am On Jul 13, 2015
true talk
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by shalomm: 11:21am On Jul 13, 2015
mtcheew

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 13, 2015
One word

Resign

3 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by asumo12: 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
like seriously?

good points

am quitting this season already...

looking for a new club...

cry cry cry
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Brytawon(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
I work for the company not my boss so I hold him no duties...

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by youngvizzy1(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
Real ish
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by money121(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by adexsimply(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
You don't need to read this list before you know you're being used
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by wisdomiskey(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by 9aijaboi(m): 11:23am On Jul 13, 2015
As a good worker, you should always work above expectations.
Once you love your job, you should do more.

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by 1miccza: 11:23am On Jul 13, 2015
Very true,i've seen this and more. Nice one OP
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by MzOnajin1(f): 11:23am On Jul 13, 2015
Alright
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Kingbilo(m): 11:23am On Jul 13, 2015
G
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Desgidi(m): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
Story for the Amananowei of ekeremor....just a brand new pair of boxer..come and rejoice with me.
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by dani3(m): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
am here to read comment as usual.
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Oscar4real(m): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
If ma Boss na Woman, e no go Bother me oo grin grin
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by willexyaho(m): 11:26am On Jul 13, 2015
I am my boss
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Venice789: 11:27am On Jul 13, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Aromas: 11:30am On Jul 13, 2015
Ok!
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Chanchit: 11:31am On Jul 13, 2015
Wetin I rush enter this thread for sef when I no get Boss.

With this 5points, I think 85% of Nigerian workers in private companies are being taking advantage of.

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by kilmix: 11:39am On Jul 13, 2015
Even though it's not my duty, I help my boss type office documents. All of them.

On some Saturdays, I go work. Urgency sake.

Cuz I leave close to my boss (same neighbourhood) , he calls me anytime to meet him up..(duty call).

He gives me urgent jobs... like calling me 10mins to d time.

To be honest, he's very appreciative and nice.

And he pays me largely for the inconveniences.

For that, I LOVE it... and am ready to do more. It shows I'm versatile, swift and hardworking.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by aaamos(m): 11:40am On Jul 13, 2015
K
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Forward1(m): 11:40am On Jul 13, 2015
Complete rubbish.
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Splint2009(m): 11:51am On Jul 13, 2015
g
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by Adesiji77: 11:59am On Jul 13, 2015
Noted
Re: 5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You by steffans(m): 12:01pm On Jul 13, 2015
That means lots of organizations are taking advantage of their workers...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ecobank Nigeria Employees Overworked By The Management / Have Anybody Receive Salary Yet..federal Workers Only / 3 Best Places You Can Showcase Your Career/skills/profession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.