Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,452 members, 7,826,736 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest (41441 Views)

If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest / Peter And Paula Imafidon Are Britain's Smartest Family / If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 2:40pm On Jul 11, 2015
Slimzjoe:
Cc: Teempakguy
Johnydon22
Robinhez

Come solve this maths grin
Do you understand conservation of energy principle?
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 2:42pm On Jul 11, 2015
Adultnextdoor come and present your answer for question 3. So that I can determine whether you are right.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Slimzjoe(m): 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:

Do you understand conservation of energy principle?

Sure... Why?
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Sure... Why?
Well, that was my reply to adiwana. He doesn't seem to understand my solution.
Adiwana:

nawao
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
These are all very difficult questions. I doubt if I can solve them.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by peterovanski(m): 2:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
The answer is 0 raise to power 2
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 2:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
This is just a further mathematics. Don't see anything hard in these to be honest. This ain't no advanced calculus that's for sure.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by remirez07(m): 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
mickyeddi:
They are ranked by a site called Brilliant.org, which asks users progressively harder math and science problems.

Think you might be as smart as one of these tweens or teens?

Prove it by solving some of the math problems they've solved.

Suicide mission.... weting we do u nah I develop an headache after seen the bullsh!t. But I fit try shaa
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:
This is just a further mathematics. Don't see anything hard in these to be honest. This ain't no advanced calculus that's for sure.
oh really?
I find them rather difficult. Except number 4.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:
Number 4 is quite easy too as well.
If you think about this. The total amount spent in the air by the skier is the same as the time taken to slope down(starting from the horizontal position) the whole distance of 50meters.
thus distance gives =1/2 at t^2
Therefore 50=1/2 × gt^2 = 1/2 (9.8 )t^2 =50 solve for t
T= 3.2 seconds

Very easy because time only depends on gravity in this case.
this is incorrect. We are asked to find the amount of time spent in the air After the height of 50m has being transversed. I think the best approach would be to find the final velocity at the foot of the jump and use it to calculate the time used in flight.

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
this is incorrect. We are asked to find the amount of time spent in the air After the height of 50m has being transversed. I think the best approach would be to find the final velocity at the foot of the jump and use it to calculate the time used in flight.
You are wrong. Anyways, check my subsequent answers
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Adiwana: 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:

check my subsequent answers
ok..'ve gotten it..just studied it..kudos
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh really?
I find them rather difficult. Except number 4.
They are more like a brain teaser rather than a hard core math.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
This is the solution for question 3. A quick explanation.
Equality occurs by having equilateral triangle on the sphere and then 5 points at each vertex.

1 Share

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:

Factoring the coeeficient of friction mean the net force on the skier on the ski jump parallel to the ski jump surface is a combination of the gravitation force and the frictional force,
For simplicity
F(net)= mg (sinθ -μcosθ)

The net work done on the skier as he travels down the jump is W= FL where L is the length of the jump, L=50/sinθ

By the work-energy theorem the skier launches horizontally from the bottom of the jump with a speed
v(=(2gh(1-μcotθ))^2
After the skier launches (and treating the launch point as x,y=0), the horizontal and vertical position of the skier are
and at the moment of impact, (x,y)=(0,0)
x=vt, y=-1/2 (gt)
The landing spot is on the line , so we have a system of equations we can solve for t=3.794 seconds.
v=29.919m/s check attached pictures to see how I solved for v

More detailed calculation using conservation energy. ..

Using the conservation of energy principle, the work done by friction must be equal to the change in the mechanical energy of the system (h = 50m, alpha = 30°),
(1/2mv^2)-mgh=-μmgcosθ(h/sin30)
This implies
v=sqrt (2gh (1-μcot30))
During the fall, using parallel (x axis pointing 'downwards') and perpendicular (y axis pointing 'upwards') axes in respect to the hill, we can write down the variation of y with time as
y=y[size=4pt]0[/size]+vsin30t-(g cos at^2)/2)
Setting y=0 and solving for t(h'=5m)
t=vtana/g (1+sqrt (1+(2gh'/v^2 tana^2)))=3.795
of course . . . I have never even seen any of these equations before.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:

You are wrong. Anyways, check my subsequent answers
how am I wrong
I checked your subsequent answers and you did exactly what I said.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by bqlekan(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
ElDeeVee:

Lol wait I wan make money first grin
forget money jhur.. come attend to your baby here..
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:
Equality occurs by having equilateral triangle on the sphere and then 5 points at each vertex.
shocked shocked
You're good!

Please recommend the math textbooks I can read. sad
I'm currently an O'level student.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by ElDeeVee(m): 4:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
bqlekan:
forget money jhur.. come attend to your baby here..
lol ok I'm on my way
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
Lordave:
Jesus is the Answer.

Not on these questions.

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2015

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 4:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
thank you very much. smiley
check https://www.khanacademy.org you can learn from there too.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:

check https://www.khanacademy.org you can learn from there too.
I have a very slow internet. It cannot even play videos online. sad
I loved Khan academy though.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
writetopoker:

may your soul rest in pieces, bloody idiat! grin
if i sound u
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by bqlekan(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
ElDeeVee:

lol ok I'm on my way
you don solve the questions?
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by mauriceju2(m): 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2015
This is why Hausa's degree that western education is forbidden, because they dont want their children to change from animal to reason like human
mickyeddi:
They are ranked by a site called Brilliant.org, which asks users progressively harder math and science problems.

Think you might be as smart as one of these tweens or teens?

Prove it by solving some of the math problems they've solved.

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Mufasa1805(m): 5:17pm On Jul 11, 2015
Pls who created the problem?
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 11, 2015
After 6^2/16÷2.5+60-25/4 hours of trying to solve the questions, I've finally got the answers. See below:

1. Answer = 3
2. Answer = 0
3. Answer = 1.6
4. Answer = 9

Thanks.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by inimitkel(m): 6:00pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak:
I termed the M.Problems as hard nuts but on a second look I realised they aint that difficult & I could attempt jus Q4 & mayB Q2. But seeing the solutions U proffered on each I was like wow thought U were just vastly political inclined, didn't know you also a math guru. Thumbs up wink

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by simdam500(m): 6:42pm On Jul 11, 2015
writetopoker: as I see dis maths my mind come fly, but I catch am bck, op u wan make I craze abi? undecidedas I see dis maths my mind come fly, but I catch am bck, op u wan make I craze abi?

Lol... thank God say you catch am before person see am, think say na meat cheesy
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by tundeotunba(m): 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
Maths not my tin aaaaaallll. Even if someone was answering these questions beside me in an exam hall, I no go sabi to copy am. Hate writing equations!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Parades ABSU 500-L Student Emmanuel Victor Who Killed Rival Cult Member / Sex For Marks: What We Have Done To Professor Akindele - OAU / A Secondary School Student Draws Mermaid With Ordinary Sand.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.