Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest (41439 Views)

If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest / Peter And Paula Imafidon Are Britain's Smartest Family / If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by simdam500(m): 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
ideatoprince18: pls giv it to Buhari....shebi he said he can solve all our problem

grin grin grin u don high ooo
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by simdam500(m): 6:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
catalanscrew: This is the answer.........................

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2617207_quest_jpeg_jpegb8a74e0b1799acde4add2471d6d75774

grin grin
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by simdam500(m): 6:57pm On Jul 11, 2015
Dollyak

#thumbs-up

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Awaja(m): 7:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
You wan make I help you do your assignment abi? I know am among the world best ,I don't need your endorsement to feel it !!
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Awaja(m): 7:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
You wan make I help you do your assignment abi? I know am among the world best ,I don't need your endorsement to feel it !!
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by rukkyland(m): 8:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
As I see the questions my temperature just rise...I NEEd CoLd WateR AbEg..solve am ko.. solve am ni
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by mickyeddi(m): 8:39pm On Jul 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
this is incorrect. We are asked to find the amount of time spent in the air After the height of 50m has being transversed. I think the best approach would be to find the final velocity at the foot of the jump and use it to calculate the time used in flight.

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2015
mickyeddi:

so, I was right.

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by mysticjack95(m): 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
mickyeddi:
They are ranked by a site called Brilliant.org, which asks users progressively harder math and science problems.

Think you might be as smart as one of these tweens or teens?

Prove it by solving some of the math problems they've solved.

I love mathematics but I hate this thing
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by SenatorJames(m): 9:02pm On Jul 11, 2015
I can only solve these questions in my dream.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Lateralmaths(m): 9:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
mickyeddi:
They are ranked by a site called Brilliant.org, which asks users progressively harder math and science problems.

These problems are meant for teens!
However, non of them is among the millennium ($1,000,000) questions thus it does not worth my sweat.
But then a glance at the first question indicates that you only need to get factors of x^6+n with n a real number. That maple will do for you, if interested.

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by mastermind2020(m): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
i can solve this with d knowledge of real analysis and differential equation(ODE) if u are willing to pay ..
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Gideon9947: 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
i will answer in d fullness of time
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by FortuneStar(m): 10:34pm On Jul 11, 2015
pls, come again
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by no1madman(m): 11:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
FUCKIN MADIMATICS!
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Tushed: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
How does that translate to Naira and Kobo
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
This is Linear Algebra.. I should be able to solve if i were still in school but right now.... Level don change, nah money i dey reason, no time for all those bullshit! This no fit put food for my table!

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by amparas(m): 12:46am On Jul 12, 2015
All I see this days inside my head na naira naira naira naira naira naira grin
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by NaijaHotGuy: 3:06am On Jul 12, 2015
Dollyak:

Factoring the coeeficient of friction mean the net force on the skier on the ski jump parallel to the ski jump surface is a combination of the gravitation force and the frictional force,
For simplicity
F(net)= mg (sinθ -μcosθ)

The net work done on the skier as he travels down the jump is W= FL where L is the length of the jump, L=50/sinθ

By the work-energy theorem the skier launches horizontally from the bottom of the jump with a speed
v(=(2gh(1-μcotθ))^2
After the skier launches (and treating the launch point as x,y=0), the horizontal and vertical position of the skier are
and at the moment of impact, (x,y)=(0,0)
x=vt, y=-1/2 (gt)
The landing spot is on the line , so we have a system of equations we can solve for t=3.794 seconds.
v=29.919m/s check attached pictures to see how I solved for v

More detailed calculation using conservation energy. ..

Using the conservation of energy principle, the work done by friction must be equal to the change in the mechanical energy of the system (h = 50m, alpha = 30°),
(1/2mv^2)-mgh=-μmgcosθ(h/sin30)
This implies
v=sqrt (2gh (1-μcot30))
During the fall, using parallel (x axis pointing 'downwards') and perpendicular (y axis pointing 'upwards') axes in respect to the hill, we can write down the variation of y with time as
y=y[size=4pt]0[/size]+vsin30t-(g cos at^2)/2)
Setting y=0 and solving for t(h'=5m)
t=vtana/g (1+sqrt (1+(2gh'/v^2 tana^2)))=3.795

Impressive. I love ur analytical style. You really surprised us guys on here. Especially the men. I meant the men anyways. I hate to burst ur burbles dear but i have found three major flaws in ur solution method that led to the wrong answer - I have had to check to see if i cud arrive at the same answer, 3.795.
Yes i have some major related achievements in the past.
The problem is actually about "two steps" more complex.
Beyond the maths it will really be great to interact with you some day
Would also want to know if u cud solve some problems i cud solved in SSS 3 (way long time a ago)
I will be needing some indication of interest here from you before uplading my rough work but with explanation
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 12, 2015
hmmm
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Gemc3(f): 11:24am On Jul 12, 2015
mickyeddi:

Warris this?? Do u want to insult my intelligence? Lol.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by NaijaHotGuy: 4:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
No wahala o, here is the solution to 4

1 Like

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
Donmichaelz:
the people I know that would give it a shoot has less Dan 100k in their account....All am saying is mathematical problems are not real life problems ,I am more of the latter,dangote can't do these ,neither can I ,,,,

The fact that u can't solve them doesn't mean u should make a derogatory statement abt mathematics/mathematicians.
Math problems r not real life problems? No wonder u aint gud at math.
Is there any correlation btw d amount in som1's bank acct and their math skill?

Btw, heard of Elon Musk? He's a geek (d type u'll assume will not be rich cos they're genius at math)........and a billionaire..........

Billonaire in dollars
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by mickyeddi(m): 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2015
NaijaHotGuy:
Ni wahala o, here is the solution to 4

Nice try bro, great respect for attempting that question but here is the right answer:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2618451_solution_jpeg1813ed1330d5787b5c8c886477e72118
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Obinoscopy(m): 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
Dollyak:

Factoring the coeeficient of friction mean the net force on the skier on the ski jump parallel to the ski jump surface is a combination of the gravitation force and the frictional force,
For simplicity
F(net)= mg (sinθ -μcosθ)

The net work done on the skier as he travels down the jump is W= FL where L is the length of the jump, L=50/sinθ

By the work-energy theorem the skier launches horizontally from the bottom of the jump with a speed
v(=(2gh(1-μcotθ))^2
After the skier launches (and treating the launch point as x,y=0), the horizontal and vertical position of the skier are
and at the moment of impact, (x,y)=(0,0)
x=vt, y=-1/2 (gt)
The landing spot is on the line , so we have a system of equations we can solve for t=3.794 seconds.
v=29.919m/s check attached pictures to see how I solved for v

More detailed calculation using conservation energy. ..

Using the conservation of energy principle, the work done by friction must be equal to the change in the mechanical energy of the system (h = 50m, alpha = 30°),
(1/2mv^2)-mgh=-μmgcosθ(h/sin30)
This implies
v=sqrt (2gh (1-μcot30))
During the fall, using parallel (x axis pointing 'downwards') and perpendicular (y axis pointing 'upwards') axes in respect to the hill, we can write down the variation of y with time as
y=y[size=4pt]0[/size]+vsin30t-(g cos at^2)/2)
Setting y=0 and solving for t(h'=5m)
t=vtana/g (1+sqrt (1+(2gh'/v^2 tana^2)))=3.795
This is more like it. You can see that your previous calculation was wrong:

Dollyak:
Number 4 is quite easy too as well.
If you think about this. The total amount spent in the air by the skier is the same as the time taken to slope down(starting from the horizontal position) the whole distance of 50meters.
thus distance gives =1/2 at t^2
Therefore 50=1/2 × gt^2 = 1/2 (9.8 )t^2 =50 solve for t
T= 3.2 seconds

Very easy because time only depends on gravity in this case.

Nevertheless I must say I'm impressed. I doff my hat for you.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Dollyak(f): 5:46am On Jul 13, 2015
NaijaHotGuy:

Impressive. I love ur analytical style. You really surprised us guys on here. Especially the men. I meant the men anyways. I hate to burst ur burbles dear but i have found three major flaws in ur solution method that led to the wrong answer - I have had to check to see if i cud arrive at the same answer, 3.795.
Yes i have some major related achievements in the past.
The problem is actually about "two steps" more complex.
Beyond the maths it will really be great to interact with you some day
Would also want to know if u cud solve some problems i cud solved in SSS 3 (way long time a ago)
I will be needing some indication of interest here from you before uplading my rough work but with explanation

I love being challenged so you can upload your work
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by NaijaHotGuy: 12:39pm On Jul 15, 2015
Dollyak:

You were right, you were right afterall. I confirmed 3.8 (approx) as the answer.

But here is one of the problems i solved in SSS 3:

A(80°N, 25°E) and B(81°S, 153°E) are two points on the surface of the earth (assumes spherical). Find the angle subtended from the centre of the earth by these points

A harder question more if you are able to solve this one
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by NaijaHotGuy: 7:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
I guess the above is a little beyond then
Dollyak:

Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
This does not add value to one's life. Go for Business Maths; that is where you can do maths and make good money. Analyze stocks, project price levels and take advantage of price movement.
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by sheshiahmad(m): 10:09am On Mar 26, 2016
warris dis uhmnn rubbish
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by sheshiahmad(m): 10:10am On Mar 26, 2016
warris dis uhmnn rubbish i cud remember dis in ma pri 3 dt numba 2 sha in SS1
Re: If You Can Solve These Math Problems, You Are One Of The World's Smartest by Oluwatosint(m): 10:21am On Dec 18, 2016
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sex For Marks: What We Have Done To Professor Akindele - OAU / A Secondary School Student Draws Mermaid With Ordinary Sand. / Can You Send Your Child To This School ? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.