Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,505 members, 7,854,151 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:36 AM

Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... (2738 Views)

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? / Biggest Threats To Intertribal Marriages - Yoruba/igbo / Help Needed...intertribal Marriage! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... by Richy4(m): 9:18pm On Jul 12, 2015
sugah:
Intertribal marriage can be challenging or not depending on who you are marrying.

In the SW, the bride's family is responsible for both traditional and church /mosque ceremonies. Which is something I like cos you are meant to come take a bride from her family, wed her in her fathers church.

In the SE, the woman's family takes care of the traditional marriage rites (well not really, it takes place in her house but most times the funds come from the man) while the man is in charge of the church wedding which is held at his own church and also usually held at a much later date .
If your family were based in Nigeria I would have said the right thing to do is for the husbands family to come to you. But carrying the whole husbands extended family to the UK? Is he financially capable to transport and accommodate them?

Update.. I started typing this a while ago and got carried away so I didn't see your subsequent posts.

Weddings in Nigeria is unfortunately about everyone else but the couple. I didn't get my dream wedding (small intimate wedding of 30-50 close family members) because both parents blatantly refused but I got my dream honeymoon and life after the wedding... So i have no regrets.
Both of you should reach a compromise with both family sides for the one day event and live the rest of your lives the way you want.

You are making it sound like the issue was only on his side. What about your own side?

If his extended family doesn't want the wedding to be held in Uk, what about your own family? What about your extended family? Will they be happy if the wedding is held any where? Especially in Nigeria?

You said so yourself that you have friends in Uk and not much friends Nigeria, by holding it in Nigeria, where you have no friends will not be comfortable for you.

I just want you to stop making this issue as if it was his family alone that got issues with the location.

If you don't have issues with the location, why are we having this conversation? Yes they want someone who can speak their language. Who can understand them bla bla bla..... but they are trying to deal with the issue that you have found favor in the eyes of their son.

Stop acting as if they don't want you that is why they don't want to be reasonable on where the wedding should take place. You and your family equally got an issue with it.

2 Likes

Re: Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... by sugah: 12:07am On Jul 13, 2015
Richy4 im guessing you meant to quote the original poster?

Btw, im in an inter-tribal marriage as well. Mine is wonderful tho, my dh and second family are lovely people.
Re: Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... by Richy4(m): 12:22am On Jul 13, 2015
sugah:
Richy4 im guessing you meant to quote the original poster?

Btw, im in an inter-tribal marriage as well. Mine is wonderful tho, my dh and second family are lovely people.

Sorry dear. I was kind of consumed will emotion when the op is acting like his man's family was the only problem
Re: Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... by Chidoks(f): 1:04am On Jul 13, 2015
where do you snd hubby hope to settle after the marriage?here or there?
Re: Intertribal Marriage Woes! Please Help... by Moana(f): 1:24am On Jul 13, 2015
What are your reasons of not wanting to have the white wedding in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guys, Don't Get Married If You Work In A Private Establishment / . (kept It From Me For A Long Time) / Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.