Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... (17893 Views)

Tough English Tongue Twisters To Help Your Grammar And Pronunciation / 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Mogidi: 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
MizMyColi:
Mogidi, please what is the meaning of Sycophant?grin

If you check any pictorial dictionary, am sure there'd be the picture of an APC supporter next to that word. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2015
cheesy
Mogidi:

If you check any pictorial dictionary, am sure there'd be the picture of an APC supporter next to that word. grin grin grin

Lol
But I'm serious.
I want to learn the statutory meaning through you.
You should read the OP when you're chanced.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Caseless: 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2015
MizMyColi:
Caseless, you are avoiding my thread in pol section, why? tongue
I'm coming right there. I'm just going through BUHARI's response. When I'm done, I'll cone back to ur thread. You know I won't miss ur thread for anything.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Mogidi: 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2015
MizMyColi:
cheesy

Lol
But I'm serious.
I want to learn the statutory meaning through you.
You should read the OP when you're chanced.

No wahala.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
grin
Caseless:
I'm coming right there. I'm just going through BUHARI's response. When I'm done, I'll cone back to ur thread. You know I won't miss ur thread for anything.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by DAvIt0(m): 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
MizMyColi:

I hereby authorize you to led the waygrin

@Davit0 I sight you!

cool shocked grin <-- Hails MizMusings

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
danbrow.ndmf:
Sinaj aint u seen ma mentions?

Mizmycoli...i hope you dont mind throwing more light on the usage of the word ''ain't'' . I think the way most people on here use it is wrong or is it me that dont know about how and when it should be used?

i hope you can do justice to the usage of the word. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 5:43am On Jul 17, 2015
khachee:

Mizmycoli...i hope you dont mind throwing more light on the usage of the word ''ain't'' . I think the way most people on here use it is wrong or is it me that dont know about how and when it should be used?

i hope you can do justice to the usage of the word. Thanks

Hi theresmiley
Ain't is a word used mainly by Black Americans. It's a form of vernacular and NOT entirely wrong when used in this context, seeing as it's an informal social setting, you get?
"ain't" is the black Americans way of saying I am not, to have not, to be not, among others.

Now, vernacular is a form of native dialect which is a deviation from the standard national language or lingua franca.

In a nutshell, "ain't" is not standard english.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 17, 2015
MizMyColi:

Hi theresmiley
Ain't is a word used mainly by Black Americans. It's a form of vernacular and NOT entirely wrong when used in this context, seeing as it's an informal social setting, you get?
"ain't" is the black Americans way of saying I am not, to have not, to be not, among others.

Now, vernacular is a form of native dialect which is a deviation from the standard national language or lingua franca.

In a nutshell, "ain't" is not standard english.
Thanks alot....goodmorning, have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 7:17am On Jul 17, 2015
khachee:

Thanks alot....goodmorning, have a wonderful day.

I wish you same toosmiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by LarrySun(m): 10:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
Now I'm here.
Thanks, guys, for dazzling me with brilliance. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
LarrySun:
Now I'm here.

Thanks, guys, for dazzling me with brilliance. cheesy

Welcome!cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by texanomaly(f): 1:58am On Jul 20, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

A leprechaun is a fairy in Irish folklore. By default, fairies are lightheaded, happy-go-lucky beings with below-par ratiocinating abilities.

Consequently, saying a person is a leprechaun means the person is a featherbrain ,stùpid or an idìot.

Here in America it can also mean you are calling someone "short". smiley
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
Impressive thread. I love this. Thanks MizMycoli.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 12:19pm On Jul 20, 2015
thronekid:
Impressive thread. I love this. Thanks MizMycoli.

you're welcome.
smiley
Ehen, you and LarrySun should please feel free to ask questions and give suggestions as deemed fit.

I will make a request for its movement to Lit ASAP.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by LarrySun(m): 1:06pm On Jul 20, 2015
texanomaly:

Here in America it can also mean you are calling someone "short". smiley
When you say 'short', do you mean physically short or...psychologically? Americans are famous for their ironic terms.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by texanomaly(f): 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2015
LarrySun:
When you say 'short', do you mean physically short or...psychologically? Americans are famous for their ironic terms.
Physically

I have to wonder about the definition here though. Many of the stories about leprechauns and fairies that I've read or heard portray them as very clever and mischievous.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by LarrySun(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2015
texanomaly:

Physically

I have to wonder about the definition here though. Many of the stories about leprechauns and fairies that I've read or heard portray them as very clever and mischievous.
Thanks.

Same here, too. I've got to make research on that word.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by zyzxx(m): 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
nice to be here
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
zyzxx:
nice to be here

smiley
Hi zyzzx, long time!
I remember you from a thread where you stood for me!

You're welcome herecheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by Divepen1(m): 6:20pm On Jul 20, 2015
What have I missed and what do I stand to gain?
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by MizMyColi(f): 7:10pm On Jul 20, 2015
Divepen1:
What have I missed and what do I stand to gain?

You've missed just a few pages. Lol

You stand to enhance your grammatical skills.
Just being in the conversation without necessarily contributing could see you mastering the use of certain words which would in turn enhance your writing with rich vocabulary, and overall, your command of the language.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by zyzxx(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
MizMyColi:

smiley Hi zyzzx, long time! I remember you from a thread where you stood for me
You're welcome herecheesy
thanks so much, willing to learn.
following

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:09am On Jul 21, 2015
LarrySun:

...And misappropriation of contextual meanings.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:13am On Jul 21, 2015
texanomaly:

Physically

ELFS are reputed as being clever and/or mischievous in folklores and not LEPRECHAUNS/FAIRIES. wink

Cc: LarrySun
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by LarrySun(m): 12:40am On Jul 21, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

ELFS are reputed as being clever and/or mischievous in folklores and not LEPRECHAUNS/FAIRIES. wink

In Irish folklore, leprechauns are considered mischievous, too.

Leprechaun: a magical creature in the form of a little old man who likes to cause troubles.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:50am On Jul 21, 2015
LarrySun:
In Irish folklore, leprechauns are considered mischievous, too.

Leprechaun: a magical creature in the form of a little old man who likes to cause troubles.

Wiki definition: " A leprechaun is a FAIRY in Irish folklore".

Your definition depicts it as an elf. Elfs aren't exactly fairies, are they?smiley
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by LarrySun(m): 12:58am On Jul 21, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Wiki definition: " A leprechaun is a FAIRY in Irish folklore".

Your definition depicts it as an elf. Elfs aren't exactly fairies, are they?smiley
I'm sure elves aren't goblins either. But a dictionary, Cambridge Advanced Learner's (Third Edition), told me leprechauns can be mischievous.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:13am On Jul 21, 2015
LarrySun:
I'm sure elves aren't goblins either. But a dictionary, Cambridge Advanced Learner's (Third Edition), told me leprechauns can be mischievous.

If we agree leprechauns are fairies and fairies are airy, happy-go-lucky beings then ,by extension, leprechauns are simpletons which aligns with my earliest figurative definition on page four.
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by texanomaly(f): 1:18am On Jul 21, 2015

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:24am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... by texanomaly(f): 1:27am On Jul 21, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

The word "leprechaun" is derived from the Irish lu chorpain, meaning "small body." Various attributes have been used to describe leprechauns. While the origins and the history surrounding leprechauns differ, one common thread is that these creatures are surrounded in magic. Some believed leprechauns were descendents of the Goddess Danu and the Tuatha De Danaan. They inhabited Ireland long before the Celts arrived, and when the Celts did come, brandishing iron swords that could penetrate the leprechauns' magic, leprechauns fled to underground abodes in the soil shielded by magical, hidden entrances. Some say leprechauns still reside under the damp soil.

Leprechauns are small, smart and devious little characters, usually dressed from head to toe in green and with ginger hair and a ginger beard. They date back to Irish mythology and were described by many as “wee folk.”

"Leprechauns are very wily, and they can vanish in the twinkling of an eye. This is why it is impossible to trick a Leprechaun out of either his pot of gold or magic shilling. Leprechauns have two great loves: drinking whiskey and smoking tobacco.. They are either cheerful and happy or very sullen. A Leprechaun's mood depends on how much whiskey he has drunk. They are shoemakers for the Faeries and can usually be found working on a shoe."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) Releases AFSB Screening List (view List Here) / FUOYE Invents Mail Dispatch Robot / Fire Guts Nigerian Law School In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.