Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? (2667 Views)

Letter To Madam Ifyalways And A Good Reading For Other Nairaland Scambusters. / "Your Husband Has Been Having Sex With Me" - 13-Year-Old Maid Tells Her Madam / When your maid becomes the madam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 10:20am On Jul 14, 2015
Hello Family, how we dey? Below are common grammatical errors we make in daily conversations. Try avoiding these as they could be quite embarrassing. 

I need a matured man to take care of me

•Matured is used to describe plants, not humans. "Mature" is the correct word.

This soup is very pepperish

•The word "pepperish" does not exist in spoken English. "Peppery" is the correct word.

My boss is too immatured for my liking

•Immatured is for plants. "Immature" is the correct word.

Are you hearing me?

•People say this a lot when on the phone, but it's wrong. "Can you hear me" is the correct thing to say.

My names are Richard Kehinde Dimeji undecided

•Your first name, last name and middle name, form a "full name".

When strangers ask for your name, they mean your full name, and how many full names do you have?......One!

So better put, "my name is Richard Kehinde Dimeji".

Can you recite the poem off head? shocked

• "Off head" means without a head, that would mean having your head cut-off. What you should say is "can you recite the poem by heart".

My colleague's daughter studied Accounting at the university

•Accounting is not a discipline but simply a process of taking account. What you study is "Accountancy".

I heard you are sick, sorry!

•Only say sorry when you are responsible for a pain/misfortune. The right thing to say is "I heard you fell sick, hope you feel better soon"

Send original copies of your document to my desk

•Copies of an item are never original (that's why it is a copy and not the original) . What you should say is "send copies of your original document to my desk".

I didn't cheat on my wife, that's the honest truth

•There's nothing like dishonest truth. You can only speak "the truth".

I have forgotten my pin number

•There's no such thing as pin number. Simply say "forgotten my pin".

Won't you buy your friend mineral to drink

•What's mineral? Except you mean mineral resources lol. Simply say "soft drink or beverage".

My senior brother beats me each time I talk back

•Your "older" brother. Senior is used to describe ranks (organisational hierarchy), not blood relations.

She's my junior sister

•Your "younger" sister.

I hate tea-bag kind of tea, I prefer normal tea

•What you call normal tea (milk, milo, sugar, hot water) is not tea. It is called "hot chocolate". Tea are beverages made from tea bags.

When are we going to go to Abuja?

• "When do we leave for Abuja" is the correct thing to say. We can't be going to go.

There was no traffic today, so I made it to work early grin

• "No traffic" means there wasn't any moving car on the road, which is not true. Instead say, there was "less traffic".

Have you had your bathe?

•This is incorrect, what you should say is "have you had a bath// or// have you showered"

Lol, see as I dey yarn like say English don help anybody grin.
God bless una jor!

*Follow "phonetikkks" for more lessons on proper speaking.
https://www.nairaland.com/2445794/common-mispronunciations-should-avoid

Cc lalasticlala

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by boiz2mhen(m): 10:20am On Jul 14, 2015
angry

Sa sa sa sabi over sabi dey worry u (quoting d'prince in molowo nooni)

3 Likes

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 14, 2015
I am guilty of some and there are still more @OP.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Chidoks(f): 12:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
thanks i'm guilty of the maturity and the pin number thing.noted
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Richy4(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
Can you recite the poem Off hand is equally correct.

3 Likes

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by favouredon(f): 1:37pm On Jul 14, 2015
All these mods sef. Una c better topic wey go benefit person una no move am go front page, na topic wey no go benefit person una go dey move. Nice one OP
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Feranchek(m): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
Na this one dey even vex me pass!!

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
Language is as it suits its users...or should be angry

The honest truth? Well in Naija's defence there is the watered down truth, the half truth, the dishonest truth cheesy
So it could be part of our making English work for us....and not the other way round

Then sorry? Is here to stay, the Queen should deal with it
I say it, at times when I remember it is meant to be wrong, I say "I am sorry you are hurt, etc"

My names are ......simply something I am not used to at all
I think I saw that here....it is not pretty...to me, that is....that is why I will not use it

You know what?
It means nothing...absolutely, that we speak English well....they still dont take us as one of them....even if we start giving the royal family grammar and English lessons...it does not endear you to the oyibo, it means nothing....full stop
They cannot wait to see the back of you...as you move back to "develop Africa" to quote them
Just learn enough to communicate with is all

We should develop Pidgin and encourage the use of our languages
Trust me, our movie industry would be richer for that.....nuance, emotions will be communicated better...I see them struggle, all the time
English subtitles should then be used to ensure a wider audience

This is my honest truth

2 Likes

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by pretydiva(f): 7:36pm On Jul 14, 2015
I'm guilty of some..fnks op 4 dis eye opener.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
milychocs:
Language is as it suits its users...or should be angry

The honest truth? Well in Naija's defence there is the watered down truth, the half truth, the dishonest truth cheesy
So it could be part of our making English work for us....and not the other way round

Then sorry? Is here to stay, the Queen should deal with it
I say it, at times when I remember it is meant to be wrong, I say "I am sorry you are hurt, etc"

My names are ......simply something I am not used to at all
I think I saw that here....it is not pretty...to me, that is....that is why I will not use it

You know what?
It means nothing...absolutely, that we speak English well....they still dont take us as one of them....even if we start giving the royal family grammar and English lessons...it does not endear you to the oyibo, it means nothing....full stop
They cannot wait to see the back of you...as you move back to "develop Africa" to quote them
Just learn enough to communicate with is all

We should develop Pidgin and encourage the use of our languages
Trust me, our movie industry woukd be richer for that.....nuance, emotions will be communicated better...I see them struggle, all the time
English subtitles should then be used to ensure a wider audience

This is my honest truth

All I can say is "whatsoever is worth doing is worth doing well". If English is worth learning in the first instance, then it wouldn't cause any harm speaking it correctly.

Must admit, your recommendation for Nollywood was really good, but I still could sense tension beneath your argument (something close to a strong dislike or hatred for the white race) - which is really not worth it.

In conclusion, the British can't lecture you on how to speak Yoruba or Igbo (because it's not their native language), in the same light, you can't also lecture them on rules of English or how it should be spoken, cause it's not yours (very well borrowed).

When you travel Abroad (America, England, Australia, or Canada), you would be thankful especially for these lessons, cause trust me, if you can't bring the whites to understand you, you would experience a really difficult time getting things done, could be quite frustrating (ask those who have travelled).

Thanks still, for your well aired opinion. God bless!

1 Like

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by hrhobi1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
I know all these grammers off head.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
Phonetikkks:

All I can say is "whatsoever is worth doing is worth doing well". If English is worth learning in the first instance, then it wouldn't cause any harm speaking it correctly.

Must admit, your recommendation for Nollywood was really good, but I still could sense tension beneath your argument (something close to a strong dislike or hatred for the white race) - which is really not worth it.

In conclusion, the British can't lecture you on how to speak Yoruba or Igbo (because it's not their native language), in the same light, you can't also lecture them on rules of English or how it should be spoken, cause it's not yours (very well borrowed).

When you travel Abroad (America, England, Australia, or Canada), you would be thankful especially for these lessons, cause trust me, if you can't bring the whites to understand you, you would experience a really difficult time getting things done, could be quite frustrating (ask those who have travelled).

Thanks still, for your well aired opinion. God bless!

I was not condemning your post at all....just got carried away
thanks for the good job
The mature one especially
....cos matured always grates on my ears....

(Well done)

I do not hate...I just accept the difference and wish we could leave them alone...and vice versa
(Or at least I hope I dont hate)
Hate is bad
Thank you...and God bless you too
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Topman0001(m): 9:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
favouredon:
All these mods sef. Una c better topic wey go benefit person una no move am go front page, na topic wey no go benefit person una go dey move. Nice one OP
c'mon speak English, this is an English class... "This Ogbolo soup dey draw well well" say it in English.

- laughing... God don catch u today.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by armyofone(m): 10:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
This Campbell drawing soup is sticky real good.
grin
Topman0001:
c'mon speak English, this is an English class... "This Ogbolo soup dey draw well well" say it in English.

1 Like

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by nisot23(f): 10:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
@op...well done jare...this is really nice...hope you speak your native language fluently too?
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 1:24am On Jul 15, 2015
nisot23:
@op...well done jare...this is really nice...hope you speak your native language fluently too?

Not as fluent, but I will get there ...
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by favouredon(f): 10:47am On Jul 15, 2015
Topman0001:

Lol. Na me u go ask? Ask our teacher my friend.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by favouredon(f): 10:54am On Jul 15, 2015
armyofone:
This Campbell drawing soup is sticky real good.
grin
. cheesy Like seriously?
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by anthoniaz(f): 11:30am On Jul 15, 2015
Nice.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 1:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
anthoniaz:
Nice.

Thanks.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Topman0001(m): 8:20pm On Jul 15, 2015
favouredon:
Lol. Na me u go ask? Ask our teacher my friend.
There's no need asking my teacher, I know the answer- This ogbolo soup is slurpy.
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 11:12pm On Jul 15, 2015
Topman0001:
There's no need asking my teacher, I know the answer- This ogbolo soup is slurpy.

Lol @slurpy.

Well I would say, "this is a very slimy ogbolo soup".
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by favouredon(f): 8:23am On Jul 16, 2015
Topman0001:
Slurpy means drinking something loudly or noisily.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by ladyju(f): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2015
Op you didn't talk of "lacking behind" instead of "lagging behind"
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
ladyju:
Op you didn't talk of "lacking behind" instead of "lagging behind"

Another nice one lol
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Topman0001(m): 7:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
favouredon:
Slurpy means drinking something loudly or noisily.
Baby u just broke my heart, why did u consult the oracle Nɑ̤̈ ...sorry, I mean dictionary

1 Like

Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 1:29pm On Jul 18, 2015
hrhobi1:
I know all these grammers off head.

Lol
Re: Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? by Phonetikkks: 7:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hope you guys find this thread helpful...

(1) (Reply)

What Should This Woman Do? Please Advice. / When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls / Serious Marital Issues In The USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.