Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage (409 Views)

Omoyele Omogunwa6 Asks Senate To Legalize Corruption / Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage by Amaechi5(m): 8:48am On Jul 15, 2015
The US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield (pictured above) has stated that they would continue to pressurize Nigeria until it legalizes same sex marriage. She made this known on Monday July 13 during a live-web chat with journalists in Washington.

"As a government, it is one of the highest priorities and strongest values that discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be available to everybody. As a policy, we will continue to press the government of Nigeria, as well as other governments which have provided legislation that discriminate against the LGBT community. This is very much a work in progress, but I think you will agree with me that the law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating against this community but also people who associate with them. So, we will continue to press the government, to press the legislature to change these laws and provide human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of their sexual orientation. With what is happening in the US, you can determine how far we are willing to go. We strongly believe human rights for all people and we are particularly opposed to legislation that actually targets the gay community for discrimination. So we are prepared to push this as a policy, not just in Africa but across the world.”

http://lindaikeji..in/2015/07/lol-us-vows-to-pressurize-nigeria-to.html?m=1

Re: US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage by feldido(m): 8:49am On Jul 15, 2015
Ok oo... But na old news na.

If this make FP I go naked baf
Re: US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 15, 2015
undecided
Re: US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage by kinglekan: 9:08am On Jul 15, 2015

They can keep pressurising in their dreams. What on God's green earth do these folks take Africa for?

While I don't have a problem with the current gay rights bill passed in the US, I also believe if any African country chooses to toll that line, it should be done through credible and transparent referendum.

The US Gov didn't force the bill down the throat of the Americans and shouldn't expect any other country to do same. If the majority in Africa aren't in support, then so be it.
Re: US Vows To Pressurize Nigeria To Legalize Gay Marriage by princefunmmy(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2015
Hmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Subsidising Religion - Say Something / As You Visit US, Don't Accept Gay Proposals From Obama, Anyaoku Advises Buhari / Buhari Stopped Insurgents From Taking More Territories – Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.