Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers (14514 Views)

Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos / Job Seekers, Take A cue From Lionel Messi / An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Segadem(m): 10:34am On Jul 18, 2015
shaunxy:
Thanks for this write up..... Very insightful..
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Beckybeky(f): 10:34am On Jul 18, 2015
adeaks:
I don't get the message this story is trying to pass. The engineer who couldn't drive lied and you should never encourage lying in an interview.
What happens if the Head of HR or any of his bosses asks him to drive a car for real the next day after his employment. Will his lie not become exposed
Exactly Wat I Was Thinking. Or If They Had Let Him To Drive D Car That Day And He Bashes It?
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 18, 2015
it is well
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by medoyin(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:
Hello sir, my name is Lanre Adetoro am 16yrs old, am a web designer ,I own a forum just like this the url is Nicenaija.com i created this forum for Nigerians to discuss...... But the problem is... the situation is not encouraging I put my outmost Best in trying to get the forum running..... but it seems nobody visit the website except me....Sir i need your help to help me promote my forum sir...... thanks in advance......

Lanre, I really love your entrepreneurship mindset at a very tender age. The issue about your website or blog not running as you wished, all you need is PATIENCE.

If Seun should tell you his story before nairaland went global, you would marvel. There are lots of web developers and bloggers here, talk to them, let them review your website, make corrections and advice you accordingly.

Don't let money be your priority at this stage else, you will have lost focused. If you're ready to learn and follow their advice trust me, you will see nicenaija untop very soon..

Best of luck bro..!
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2015
Nice and very informative. But some folks would rather say the patient dog will not have any bone to chow because dem soji ones don lemme am finish.

Over-confidence is not a good virtue, i rather remain calm and patient and wait for the opportunity to take the centre stage. Then my potentials and ability would shine right into their eyes and would nearly make them go blind.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Lyndylove: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2015
Makes a lot of sense. Kudos to the OP. Good job

COMING SOON!!!
[Music] LYNDY - MY HERO ( A TRIBUTE TO
DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN)
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Wolexdey(m): 10:40am On Jul 18, 2015
Please in urgent need of Job. Kindly help. I'm a graduate. B sc Physics Location: Ibadan Prefer to work in any office environment. Contact: 09025196962

Many thanks...
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 18, 2015
B4 i got a job in d oil industry, I was told all this lies how tto pass an interview. ..... blah blah blah. Bought book on how to face interview bt to no avail. These are wot u shud know.
1. Know wot u went to school to study
2. Try to research on the job description of the company u are going to 4 interview
3. Try to rest on your strength in the interview- try to bring dem to wot u know very well. Look at the interviewer dat is interested in wot u are talking. The interview will remain on dat topic and u will get ur job.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by NnamdiN: 10:43am On Jul 18, 2015
ok a driver and mechanic dragging one slot ok bye
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Certifiedboss: 10:45am On Jul 18, 2015
adeaks:
I don't get the message this story is trying to pass. The engineer who couldn't drive lied and you should never encourage lying in an interview.
What happens if the Head of HR or any of his bosses asks him to drive a car for real the next day after his employment. Will his lie not become exposed

An interview is a win or loss situation . He tool the chances because he knows or suspect they only wanted to see how good he is at maintaining machine and equipments . He didn't apply for the position of a driver . He was logical in his thinking . It helps in an interview
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by nenergy(m): 10:52am On Jul 18, 2015
Kelklein:
At the interview to fill the vacancy of a Field Engineer in a multinational oil company, two competent and qualified Engineers were shortlisted and the company was to decide on who to retain and who to show the red card.

They asked them If they could drive and they both answered in the affirmative even though only one of them could drive. The Head of the Human Resources spearheading the interview cum pruning session then handed his car keys to them to prove their driving skills within the premises.

The over-confident applicant collected the car key, opened the car, switched on the ignition, lighted it up, sped off, swirled, swerved and made some stunts on wheels before parking the car on the same spot to the seeming rousing applause and mischievously knowing smile of the interviewers.

The other applicant who could not drive collected the key all the same, opened the car, opened the bonnet, checked the engine oil level, the brake fluid level, the gear oil level and the water in the radiator level. As he closed the bonnet, the chief interviewer walked towards him and said: "Don't bother driving, you've just been hired!"

Precaution is more powerful than expertise!
The race is not for the swiftest, but to the wise!
Don't be brash and over-confident. Learn the ropes and never back off from giving your best even If you don't possess what it takes.

That someone is doing it fast doesn't mean he is doing it right! Direction is more important than speed! Exercise caution and take precaution in the journey of life- that's how to be recruited into the employment of success...

my2kobo
Hmmn! Permission to share on my blog?
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Lacoolmley: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2015
Sometimes or even most times, if you say you don't know how to drive you miss the next stage of the interview. If you lie that you can can drive, you progress to the next stage of the interview and learn on the job if you are lucky. Someone on the recruitment panel could say I like this guy who was truthful that he can't drive because he is honest. Another one could say I like this guy who even though he couldn't drive, he affirmed that he could drive because he likes facing challenges. Different strokes for different folks. God's favour is key.

1 Like

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by aameyah(f): 11:17am On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:
Hello sir, my name is Lanre Adetoro am 16yrs old, am a web designer ,I own a forum just like this the url is Nicenaija.com i created this forum for Nigerians to discuss...... But the problem is... the situation is not encouraging I put my outmost Best in trying to get the forum running..... but it seems nobody visit the website except me....Sir i need your help to help me promote my forum sir...... thanks in advance......

I'm trying to visit but its taking forever to load.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 18, 2015
wow.. This is nice..
Reminds me of a frend dat got admission into a uni b4 me,he felt on top of d world.
Jst a year later,i managed 2 secure admission into yabatech.A year after (now),am goin 2 ND2 frm Nd1 with distinctions while my frend on d oda hand is strugglin wit a 3rd class with many Carry Overs to his name. Am nt mocking him o,but dis guy almst neva spoke 2 me jst cos he's in d Uni..
& my distinction doesnt mean i wil b more succesfull dan he will be..

MORAL OF THE STORY ; Its not how far,but how well

BTW,Listen to dis freestyle by me..

http://my.notjustok.com/track/24670/
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by jimmynauty: 11:39am On Jul 18, 2015
thanks and noted
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by sunny4life(m): 12:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:
Send me an email.Let me help you.You have great potentials
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Missmossy(f): 12:26pm On Jul 18, 2015
It pays to be humble, even though i don't encourage lies. One has to be wise and smart in Naija these days. It sometimes goes beyond been intelligent.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by profstar(m): 12:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:

I checked your forum now and I made some comment which I know will improve people's' visit to your site.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by kaboninc(m): 12:31pm On Jul 18, 2015
Missmossy:
It pays to be humble, even though i don't encourage lies. One has to be wise and smart in Naija these days. It sometimes goes beyond been intelligent.

Yeah but in this case, lies should not be encouraged.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by ModiKen(m): 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
Kelklein:
At the interview to fill the vacancy of a Field Engineer in a multinational oil company, two competent and qualified Engineers were shortlisted and the company was to decide on who to retain and who to show the red card.

They asked them If they could drive and they both answered in the affirmative even though only one of them could drive. The Head of the Human Resources spearheading the interview cum pruning session then handed his car keys to them to prove their driving skills within the premises.

The over-confident applicant collected the car key, opened the car, switched on the ignition, lighted it up, sped off, swirled, swerved and made some stunts on wheels before parking the car on the same spot to the seeming rousing applause and mischievously knowing smile of the interviewers.

The other applicant who could not drive collected the key all the same, opened the car, opened the bonnet, checked the engine oil level, the brake fluid level, the gear oil level and the water in the radiator level. As he closed the bonnet, the chief interviewer walked towards him and said: "Don't bother driving, you've just been hired!"

Precaution is more powerful than expertise!
The race is not for the swiftest, but to the wise!
Don't be brash and over-confident. Learn the ropes and never back off from giving your best even If you don't possess what it takes.

That someone is doing it fast doesn't mean he is doing it right! Direction is more important than speed! Exercise caution and take precaution in the journey of life- that's how to be recruited into the employment of success...

my2kobo

Pls tell that to the wailing wailers calling my President "baba-go-slow".
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by no2fuks(m): 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
dont ever let anybody tell you to not be confident. there is no such thing as over confidence when you can back it up.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by moscobabs(m): 2:42pm On Jul 18, 2015
I love this
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by benedima1990(m): 3:18pm On Jul 18, 2015
This op can lie ooo
Someone who can't drive open the bonnet, check this, check that.......

Hmmmmmmmm

You con dey tell us moral lesson.

If I hear say your story na true
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
Dear Kelklein,

It boils my blood when people copy other people's work and don't give them the credits, it is called plagiarism and that's what the OP has done. He has plagiarised someone's work without due acknowledgement of the original owner.
He may have also copied it from someone who also copied it but this post definitely isn't original to the OP.
Please modify the post and acknowledge the source from where you copied this. Thanks

If you challenge me on this then I would be forced to post the link to the original work...
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by proficienc(m): 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:
I'm with you lil bro. Signed up already. Promise to check in as much as I can. I love this wink
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2015
kaboninc:

You're absolutely correct. The OP should edit that aspect of the write-up because the piece made a whole lot of sense.

The OP is not wrong, the lesson in the message is that you should not be over confident of yourself. Many guys lie during job interview based on what is in there cv, but be confident when you lie. I lied during my interview about my real position on my formal place of work to make me look technically sound, immediately I was employed and received my first 3 month salary(during this period, I was constantly on YouTube.com learning things about my responsibility) , I spent close to 250k on acquiring the skill I required.
You can learn driving in one day and that is excertly what the employed guy will do.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by no2fuks(m): 5:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
u aint gat 2 lie tho
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by no2fuks(m): 5:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
fluxview:

The OP is not wrong, the lesson in the message is that you should not be over confident of yourself. Many guys lie during job interview based on what is in there cv, but be confident when you lie. I lied during my interview about my real position on my formal place of work to make me look technically sound, immediately I was employed and received my first 3 month salary(during this period, I was constantly on YouTube.com learning things about my responsibility) , I spent close to 250k on acquiring the skill I required.
You can learn driving in one day and that is excertly what the employed guy will do.

250k as in kobo?
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 18, 2015
nenergy:

Hmmnn Permission to share on my blog?

The OP cannot give such permission, he plagiarised the work. You. Would be falling into the same error if you shared it on your blog. I provide below a link to the owner's Facebook page where the post originally emanated from, please direct your requests there

https://m.facebook.com/tosin.ayo/posts/10203564414745609?comment_id=10203583104132832&ref=m_notif&notif_t=comment_mention
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by professore(m): 10:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
This is reasonable

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bas Nig Ltd / Jobs At EVANS Medicals Plc June 2013 / The Federal Road Safety Commission (frsc) Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.