Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. - Investment (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. (46499 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: MMM Is Back And Better With Massive Merging Of Orders. / Us Stock Market 101 – Hot Stock Picks - Train And Get Good Hot Tips / Stock Market Investors Lose 1.032trn Due To Buhari's Slowness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 8:12pm On Aug 10, 2016
zPixel:
Hi

Has anyone had any luck opening an account with thinkorswim from Nigeria? They just introduced a 20 minutes delay on their demo platform... Please if you have an idea how i can open a real account please let me know. Thanks

Please forget think or swim from TD ameritrade. I used to have an account 8 years ago, reactivated and tried funding it. They returned the funds last week saying they don't do business with Nigerians.

Looking for another broker now.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 10:12am On Aug 11, 2016
kentoto:

Please forget think or swim from TD ameritrade. I used to have an account 8 years ago, reactivated and tried funding it. They returned the funds last week saying they don't do business with Nigerians.

Looking for another broker now.

Guys, rather unfortunate, that is what we get when some Nigerians feel the only way you could make money is via 419. We all tend to suffer for it at the end of the day.

Sorry its holiday season, have been busy with the family hence less updates.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zPixel(m): 7:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
I don't even need to fund it. I'm just too comfortable with their charting tools sad Anyway, you can check out suretrader or sharktraders.com (it's a prop firm...)
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 9:23am On Aug 15, 2016
zPixel:
I don't even need to fund it. I'm just too comfortable with their charting tools sad Anyway, you can check out suretrader or sharktraders.com (it's a prop firm...)

Really you do not need to use TD Ameritrade if they have issues with Nigeria, but I believe you should be able to set up the platform and use it without funding it. You should have access to all the tools in a Dummy environment. once you do that, then set up another platform suggested by others for real trading. Do your analysis on TD if you are comfortable with it, then trade on the other platforms.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by ifeykay(m): 2:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
Am sure you must be smiling with your position in AMBA. Yesterday it closed at 66
Jideams:

The Market seem to be drifting sideways and there has not been a momentum so far. Still on the look out, I will identify some new positions this weekend and show my entry price. Although i bought AMBA, don't think it was a good idea as i did it in a rush. We do not have to be in the Market all the time, staying in cash is also a postion.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:54am On Aug 18, 2016
ifeykay:
Am sure you must be smiling with your position in AMBA. Yesterday it closed at 66

Trust me AMBA has been really good. Waiting for earning report on the first week in september after which I intend to load more. Been busy with the family on holiday in the UK so there has not been time to catch up on this. Will get back to full time reporting once holiday is over. Please bear with me.

Little comments here and there though.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by valueinnovation: 2:22am On Aug 22, 2016
Invest in piuni(THE GLOBAL TELECOMMS BUSINESS). Check them out on www.piuni.net. Chat with their support for more details or contact me on adekunleowoseni8@gmail.com for a detailed report, thanks.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 8:58am On Aug 28, 2016
THE MARKET 28/08/2016

Dear all,

Sorry I have not been able to post an update for a while as I have been on holiday and still have a week to go. As we approach the end of the month and the close of the holiday season, it is ideal to show the status of the market as we expect volume to increase as people return from holiday. Note, the volume could increase on either the up or the down depending on investors sentiment.

As of today, the market direction is under pressure (Meaning the uptrend is slowing and tending towards a pull back). In reality, this are mixed signals hence the reasons to watch more closely. How can be market be pulling back and hitting a new high at the same time. I would take this as a short purse in the uptrend, and also remember that the school season is about to start next month, so people will be taking profit in order to pay school fees right after the holiday season. As long as we have not crossed the grey line on any of the market indicators, I would say we are good to hold on.

Please note, keep a look out for our stock to see if it is behaving abnormally, reframe from taking a new position until the uptrend resumes and keep a good lookout for stocks in position and ready to jump once all market conditions for a new buy are true again.
In my next post, I will show the list of stocks ( with good fundamental) setting up for a new move.

In my next post, I will show the list of stocks ( with good fundamental) setting up for a new move.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 9:22am On Aug 28, 2016
Stocks Setting UP for MOVE

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 5:40am On Sep 07, 2016
Hi All,
For the followers of FB, the stock declared a good earning yesterday and broke out. Facebook is now in a good buy point for interested investor.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 4:15pm On Sep 18, 2016
People,
Finally, I have the suretrader account set up and funded.

So let's get paid.

K
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by lilreese: 3:08am On Sep 19, 2016
Can you recommend any broker for Nigerians ?

thanks
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 9:27am On Sep 19, 2016
Guys,

So glad to hear that someone eventually opened an account for trading. Can you please put us through the procedure for doing this please ? I Plan to set up the same account for Friends in Nigeria having similar problem with TD Ameritrade. I might also use the platform for analysis in conjuction with TD Ameritrade.

So please share with the house.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 11:08pm On Sep 22, 2016
Jideams:
Guys,

So glad to hear that someone eventually opened an account for trading. Can you please put us through the procedure for doing this please ? I Plan to set up the same account for Friends in Nigeria having similar problem with TD Ameritrade. I might also use the platform for analysis in conjuction with TD Ameritrade.

So please share with the house.

Really no biggie,

just go to the website and fill an online form, fill in your data,
also have your bank statements, two types of identification, professional and bank references.
suretrader.com
.its very easy justt give them what they want..

as seen below

[b]In order to complete this application, you'll need the following information on hand:
2 valid color photo IDs: passport and driver's license or government issued identification card
Bank account information
Employer's address and telephone number
Financial information (annual income, liquid and total net worth)
Financial and professional references
Proof of residency (utility bill, bank or brokerage statement, etc. with your address on it - no older than 6 months)
Due to recent legislation (FATCA), Swiss America Securities, Ltd. now requires every client to submit either a W-8BEN for NON-U.S. Individuals, or W-8BEN-E for NON-U.S. Entities or W-9 for U.S. Individuals & Entities
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Haven't really been following the market closely but i've been dabbing into options trading. So news came out yesterday that many big tech companies are interested in buying twitter ex Google, Microsoft, Salesforce and Disney. I still think twitter has some value and i'm willing to bet my last 10 naira google will win this bidding war, perhaps that's why it's up 1% today and I'm up 16%. Facebook aren't interested at all and i'm glad to see my holdings didn't take a beating from the news. I'm up 25%, does facebook have more legroom to go higher?

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:14am On Sep 28, 2016
YerYer:
Haven't really been following the market closely but i've been dabbing in options trading. So news came out yesterday that many big tech companies are interested in buying twitter ex Google, Microsoft, Salesforce and Disney. I still think twitter has some value and i'm willing to bet my last 10 naira google will win this bidding war, perhaps that's why it's up 1% today and I'm up 16%. Facebook aren't interested at all and i'm glad to see my holdings didn't take a beating from the news. I'm up 25%, does facebook have more legroom to go higher?

@YerYer,

I ventured into options during my early days of trade and it is good if you understand the technicalities. Please note that options expires so fundamentals is not good enough. Your timing must be spot on, hence the need to have a good technical analysis and the understanding of volatility. I have not touched option for over 4 years now as i need to concentrate on buy and hold.

Really happy for you to have 25% gain in a position, it takes nerves to hold the market for that long. As you trade household names, you stand a good change of walking away with profit but not exponential. Trust me, 25% profit is not joke so i give it to you.

Regarding facebook (FB), yes this stock has ways to go but has been in consolidation/ weak position fo the last 10weeks. This is typical of any stock so I am not supprised. Right now i am trying out new strategy with trailing stops, this will enable me enter a position and place my stops at 10% behind my entry price. let us see how it goes and will share it with the house later.

Yesterday i entered a new position (WB) this is an IPO and it is the face book of china.

1 Like

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 5:00am On Sep 28, 2016
Jideams:

@YerYer,

I ventured into options during my early days of trade and it is good if you understand the technicalities. Please note that options expires so fundamentals is not good enough. Your timing must be spot on, hence the need to have a good technical analysis and the understanding of volatility. I have not touched option for over 4 years now as i need to concentrate on buy and hold.

Really happy for you to have 25% gain in a position, it takes nerves to hold the market for that long. As you trade household names, you stand a good change of walking away with profit but not exponential. Trust me, 25% profit is not joke so i give it to you.

Regarding facebook (FB), yes this stock has ways to go but has been in consolidation/ weak position fo the last 10weeks. This is typical of any stock so I am not supprised. Right now i am trying out new strategy with trailing stops, this will enable me enter a position and place my stops at 10% behind my entry price. let us see how it goes and will share it with the house later.

Yesterday i entered a new position (WB) this is an IPO and it is the face book of china.

Yeah I try to hold on to names I believe in longer, other more speculative names I get rid of after a nice pop. Options seems a bit risky but boy the rewards can be gratifying when it goes your way. I only buy spreads and never na.ked puts. Been testing different strategies with the paper account but finally traded with my live account. I know I have a lot to learn in regards to technical analysis and I will learn as I go. Can you shed some light as to why you gave up option trading?

Wow Weibo (WB) looks like a good name to get into. I've always wanted to own Chinese stocks since the Alibaba (BABA) Ipo which is literally the time I actually became interested in stocks because I truly believed in the company's global presence. However, I was shocked to see the stock get slammed few weeks post Ipo. Then there is baidu (BIDU) which is supposedly the Google of China. I kid you not, all Google products don't work in China, I know from first hand experience and it's frustrating. Majority of all searches go through Baidu. Again I loved the name as of last year and kept hoping it would come down to a suitable entry spot but it never did. Then all of a sudden the stock took a beating along with many other chinese tech stocks. Chinese companies are plagued with shady accounting, so you never really know whether to believe their quarterly earnings or not and that's why i've kinda been on the fence. But i believe in their long term prospective and I strongly believe most of them have the potential to gobble up their American rivals in due time. Might take a small position in WB soon though.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by tunapa4dem: 5:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
Suretrader commission will kill you guys.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 5:16am On Sep 30, 2016
Look at this bad boy go, NXPI was up 16% yesterday on talks of a takeover bid by Qualcomm. I love semiconductor stocks because I'm a strong believer in the whole Internet of Things not so distant future. These guys manufacture the chips that power the entertainment systems and self driving features of most of these newly modeled cars. Though the stock price fluctuates a lot, will consider trimming my position on this news.

If you need dollars to fund your brokerage accounts, hit me up, I can sell to you but close to black market rate.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 6:34am On Sep 30, 2016
YerYer:

Yeah I try to hold on to names I believe in longer, other more speculative names I get rid of after a nice pop. Options seems a bit risky but boy the rewards can be gratifying when it goes your way. I only buy spreads and never na.ked puts. Been testing different strategies with the paper account but finally traded with my live account. I know I have a lot to learn in regards to technical analysis and I will learn as I go. Can you shed some light as to why you gave up option trading?

Wow Weibo (WB) looks like a good name to get into. I've always wanted to own Chinese stocks since the Alibaba (BABA) Ipo which is literally the time I actually became interested in stocks because I truly believed in the company's global presence. However, I was shocked to see the stock get slammed few weeks post Ipo. Then there is baidu (BIDU) which is supposedly the Google of China. I kid you not, all Google products don't work in China, I know from first hand experience and it's frustrating. Majority of all searches go through Baidu. Again I loved the name as of last year and kept hoping it would come down to a suitable entry spot but it never did. Then all of a sudden the stock took a beating along with many other chinese tech stocks. Chinese companies are plagued with shady accounting, so you never really know whether to believe their quarterly earnings or not and that's why i've kinda been on the fence. But i believe in their long term prospective and I strongly believe most of them have the potential to gobble up their American rivals in due time. Might take a small position in WB soon though.

You are 100% on spot with Chinese stocks, one need to keep a watchful eye.

Question - How do you mitgate your risk, do you use stop loss or trailing stops. I have just started using trailing stops and it has been really good. It takes sentiments off my trade.

Regarding options, I used it in my early days and don't really know much about it. I just couldn't get the timing right.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 5:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
tunapa4dem:
Suretrader commission will kill you guys.

ok, so are you recommending a broker for traders based in Nigeria?

i use active web platform to reduce my costs.

regards
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 7:38pm On Oct 01, 2016
kentoto:

ok, so are you recommending a broker for traders based in Nigeria?

i use active web platform to reduce my costs.

regards

Can you be specific on the commission charged.

In addition, please see a list of stocks with possible breakout this week. let me know if anyone is following the stocks

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 11:34am On Oct 02, 2016
Jideams,

Thanks for the watch list bro, my trading volume for now is $1,400 so i only get to trade stocks less than $5 a share.

for suretrader, there are two major platforms to trade thru ( desktop pro and the active web) the activeweb is the one i use for now cos its free.

The charge for buy and sell is $5 dollars, so buying and selling is $10 dollars, also there is ECN fees which is variable and dependant on the number of shares you are trading (goggle it please, don't have the exact rates). how ever for those that use level 2 data pay about $120 dollars a month in addition, that if you are day trading full time.

i traded a couple of time last week, ( i have a 9 -5 job that limiting me for now) but am on full time tomorrow cos of the holiday

k
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2016
@Kentoto

Please note and be very careful of trading penny shares (share <10 dollars). It is not the number of shares that you have that matters, it is the percentage increase in price. so you do not have to trade 5dollar shares because you have 1400 dollars. What moves the market price of a stock is the purchase by fund managers and not individual investors. Fund managers buy Stock that above 50 dollars in price, that way they can buy many stocks without moving the price significantly.

If you continue to trade stocks that are five dollars in price, you stand the chance of not hitting the home run or you are buying Stock that are not doing well. If a stock is good, even at the point of IP0 you will not find it at five dollars, take facebook as an example as it open at 18 dollars.

So, my work of advice is to buy 20 units at 50 dollars it and get 20% gain rather than buying 200 at 5 Dollar each and making 20% gain. In either case, you are making the same profit but you are likely to fill and you position quicker with 50 units than 200 units.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2016
Jideams:
@Kentoto

Please note and be very careful of trading penny shares (share <10 dollars). It is not the number of shares that you have that matters, it is the percentage increase in price. so you do not have to trade 5dollar shares because you have 1400 dollars. What moves the market price of a stock is the purchase by fund managers and not individual investors. Fund managers buy Stock that above 50 dollars in price, that way they can buy many stocks without moving the price significantly.

If you continue to trade stocks that are five dollars in price, you stand the chance of not hitting the home run or you are buying Stock that are not doing well. If a stock is good, even at the point of IP0 you will not find it at five dollars, take facebook as an example as it open at 18 dollars.

So, my work of advice is to buy 20 units at 50 dollars it and get 20% gain rather than buying 200 at 5 Dollar each and making 20% gain. In either case, you are making the same profit but you are likely to fill and you position quicker with 50 units than 200 units.

Thanks bro , for the advice,

ultimatly i would be having a portfolio of mixed stocks, its just that am attracted to the volatility of the pennnies... however, i will look into trading one or two stocks from your watchlist tomorow to see how it goes.

k
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 1:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
kentoto:

ultimatly i would be having a portfolio of mixed stocks, its just that am attracted to the volatility of the pennnies... however, i will look into trading one or two stocks from your watchlist tomorow to see how it goes.

k

You are welcom, also note that we are all learning and no one knows it all. Does anyone use trailing stops as risk management strategy, I would be interested how..
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2016
Jideams:

Can you be specific on the commission charged.

In addition, please see a list of stocks with possible breakout this week. let me know if anyone is following the stocks

Following Amazon, it keeps making all time highs like every day now. I've been in the name since $460 or so, made some nice profit then sold it. Bought back around $694 and I'm now up 20%. It's a money maker but the PE ratio is really high, however it is a true growth stock that doesn't rest on its laurels. It's stealing massive market share from other retailers and also diversifying into other sectors. I like the name.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 5:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
YerYer:

Following Amazon, it keeps making all time highs like every day now. I've been in the name since $460 or so, made some nice profit then sold it. Bought back around $694 and I'm now up 20%. It's a money maker but the PE ratio is really high, however it is a true growth stock that doesn't rest on its laurels. It's stealing massive market share from other retailers and also diversifying in to other sectors. I like the name.

My dear friend, forget about PE ration.. Go back and see Cisco system when it shot off (3000%), the PE ration was as high as anything. The company is making sales, investing in new products, increasing earning per share. You cannot beat that trust me on that... same goes with FB. It will be slow, but will continue to rise till they have nothing new to offer as in new product. That is the issue apple is having now, nothing new.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 7:06am On Oct 06, 2016
Jideams:

My dear friend, forget about PE ration.. Go back and see Cisco system when it shot off (3000%), the PE ration was as high as anything. The company is making sales, investing in new products, increasing earning per share. You cannot beat that trust me on that... same goes with FB. It will be slow, but will continue to rise till they have nothing new to offer as in new product. That is the issue apple is having now, nothing new.

You are right 100%. What do you think about gold stocks? I took a small position in AUY yesterday.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 7:09am On Oct 06, 2016
kentoto:

k

Heard penny stocks are very risky but I'm willing to learn how to trade them. What do you recommend for starters? Why don't you try small cap stocks under $10?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

SARS Arrest Woman Who Opened Ponzi Scheme In Awka After The Scheme Crashed(pics) / LUNO Nigeria Account Frozen By Court / Daily Crypto-currency (bitcoin) Trading Signals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.