Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA (3938 Views)

Atheism Is A Mental Illness :charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley / The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Formidable1: 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
American Psychological Association To Classify Belief in God As a Mental Illness
According to the American Psychological Association (APA), a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, will now be classified as a mental illness.

The controversial ruling comes after a 5-year study by the APA showed devoutly religious people often suffered from anxiety, emotional distress, hallucinations, and paranoia. The study stated that those who perceived God as punitive was directly related to their poorer health, while those who viewed God as benevolent did not suffer as many mental problems. The religious views of both groups often resulted in them being disconnected from reality.

Dr. Lillian Andrews, professor of psychology, stated, “Every year thousands of people die after refusing life-saving treatment on religious grounds. Even when being told ‘you will die without this treatment’ patients reject the idea and believe that their God will still save them. Those lives could be saved simply by classifying those people as mentally unfit for decision making.”

“Jehovah Witnesses for instance,” Dr. Andrews continued, “will not accept blood under any circumstance. They would rather die than to receive life-saving donor blood. Many religious people believe they have “healing power” in their hands. Many believe they can communicate with God using a personal language, which is unknown to anyone but the communicator and God (known as speaking in tongues). Many often tell of seeing spirits. All of these are signs of a mental break and a loss of touch with reality. Religious belief and the angry God phenomenon has caused chaos, destruction, death, and wars for centuries. The time for evolving into a modern society and classifying these archaic beliefs as a mental disorder has been long overdue. This is the first of many steps to a positive direction.”

With the new classification, the APA will lobby to introduce legislation which would allow doctors the right to force life-saving treatment on those who refuse it for spiritual reasons on the grounds that they are mentally incapable of making decisions about their health.

The American Psychological Association says more information about the study and the new classification will be made available to the public in their upcoming journal (which is expected to be release in early August).

Source: http://www.thenewsnerd.com/health/apa-to-classify-belief-in-god-as-a-mental-illness/

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Mskrisx(f): 7:39pm On Jul 18, 2015
OK continue.
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by bi0nics: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2015
Formidable1:
American Psychological Association To Classify Belief in God As a Mental Illness
According to the American Psychological Association (APA), a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, will now be classified as a mental illness.

The controversial ruling comes after a 5-year study by the APA showed devoutly religious people often suffered from anxiety, emotional distress, hallucinations, and paranoia. The study stated that those who perceived God as punitive was directly related to their poorer health, while those who viewed God as benevolent did not suffer as many mental problems. The religious views of both groups often resulted in them being disconnected from reality.

Dr. Lillian Andrews, professor of psychology, stated, “Every year thousands of people die after refusing life-saving treatment on religious grounds. Even when being told ‘you will die without this treatment’ patients reject the idea and believe that their God will still save them. Those lives could be saved simply by classifying those people as mentally unfit for decision making.”

“Jehovah Witnesses for instance,” Dr. Andrews continued, “will not accept blood under any circumstance. They would rather die than to receive life-saving donor blood. Many religious people believe they have “healing power” in their hands. Many believe they can communicate with God using a personal language, which is unknown to anyone but the communicator and God (known as speaking in tongues). Many often tell of seeing spirits. All of these are signs of a mental break and a loss of touch with reality. Religious belief and the angry God phenomenon has caused chaos, destruction, death, and wars for centuries. The time for evolving into a modern society and classifying these archaic beliefs as a mental disorder has been long overdue. This is the first of many steps to a positive direction.”

With the new classification, the APA will lobby to introduce legislation which would allow doctors the right to force life-saving treatment on those who refuse it for spiritual reasons on the grounds that they are mentally incapable of making decisions about their health.

The American Psychological Association says more information about the study and the new classification will be made available to the public in their upcoming journal (which is expected to be release in early August).

Source: http://www.thenewsnerd.com/health/apa-to-classify-belief-in-god-as-a-mental-illness/

Op too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by fkpboss: 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2015
Listening to them is the mental illness

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by histemple: 7:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
There is absolute sense in this submission. There is a reason God allowed some people known as doctors to exist. Some people would refuse taking medication on the delusion that God will heal them but they turn to accuse God of not answering their prayers when they die eventually. Some people are seeking miracles for prosperity without even doing anything at all.

3 Likes

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by rusher14: 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2015
I know it's your body and all, but how can you explain having the opportunity to be treated yet choosing not to?

I love JWs for their uprightness. However, A 'God' that says you cannot take blood from your 'type' so as to be healed should be questioned.

Again, if you say questioning God is wrong, why then did He give you the facility to think and ask questions?

Who knows that God exists? I mean the way you know your brother or sister exists or in fact, you exist?

Without starting off from a position of prejudice or bias , Can you say which of the Gods is real?

I know quoting a 'Holy Book' makes it easy. But would you like me quoting 'The Hobbits' which we know was created by man?

3 Likes

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by psucc(m): 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2015
I also believe the researchers are mentally derange.
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 18, 2015
Interested in finding out how they intend to successfully tout for legislation that would allow forced treatment/medical battery in the instances they mentioned, especially in view of the right to freedom of religion.
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
Then I don't mind being mentally sick for the rest of my life.
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by hahn(m): 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
I totally agree with this.

Anybody that prays to something he has never seen, shouts "fire" a billion times, who is okay with the idea that some people should rot in hell, who pays "tithe" to a god that is supposed to own the whole world etc had to be mentally ill. There's no other way about it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by finofaya: 8:29pm On Jul 18, 2015
Faaaaake!

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by johnydon22(m): 8:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
[size=16]This is an absolutely wrong analogy. . . very stupendous as it is preposterous. . . Belief in a thing does not in anyway equate mental disorder. . . I totally disagree with this [/size]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Formidable1: 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
bi0nics:

Op too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

If you really bothered to read through the whole text, you'll understand that what the association mean is that where a belief in a deity severely affects the way you think or behave and deprives you of the use of common sense in situations where you need to reason independently, then you are mentally deranged.

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by herald9: 8:55pm On Jul 18, 2015
I thought APA is a style of writing references ?
*scratches head *
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Formidable1: 8:58pm On Jul 18, 2015
johnydon22:
[size=16]This is an absolutely wrong analogy. . . very stupendous as it is preposterous. . . Belief in a thing does not in anyway equate mental disorder. . . I totally disagree with this [/size]

It is not really about the belief in the thing that matters, but the effect of that belief on your reasoning capacity and your behaviour.
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by johnydon22(m): 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2015
Formidable1:

It is not really about the belief in the thing that matters, but the effect of that belief on your reasoning capacity and your behaviour.
Sometimes emotional sentiments towards a particular subject affects our reason. . . It still doesn't make you retarded in any way. . . I strongly disagree with the fact that belief in God(s) is a mental disorder. . its a very wrong analogy. . it may impair logic in fields that defile this belief but it is not a mental disorder in anyway. . Its a position of belief riddled in emotion

3 Likes

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by plaetton: 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2015
hahn:

Anybody that prays to something he has never seen, shouts "fire" a billion times, who is okay with the idea that some people should rot in hell, who pays "tithe" to a god that is supposed to own the whole world etc had to be mentally ill. There's no other way about it
grin
Nairaland atheists have been vindicated.

We, the Nigerian atheists, have a much much bigger problem in Nigeria than the APA could possibly imagine.
We, in Nigeria, live in a loony bin the size of Texas.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by plaetton: 12:03am On Jul 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Sometimes emotional sentiments towards a particular subject affects our reason. . . It still doesn't make you retarded in any way. . . I strongly disagree with the fact that belief in God(s) is a mental disorder. . its a very wrong analogy. . it may impair logic in fields that defile this belief but it is not a mental disorder in anyway. . Its a position of belief riddled in emotion
I know that calling it a mental disorder is kinda harsh, but then, thats what it is.

If you pray to an empty sky once, twice, thrice,.. By the fourth time, You ought to suspect that there is something not right with this mindset.

If you continue this empty supplication to the empty sky for most of your adult Life, then there could not a better definition of mild to Temperate insanity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by davien(m): 12:09am On Jul 19, 2015
It is a delusion in truth,but i wouldn't call for mental illness to be slammed on them....education is the key because religion thrives on ignorance.. grin
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by NumberOne2(m): 12:11am On Jul 19, 2015
psucc:
I also believe the researchers are mentally derange.

You are RIGHT. Here is why.

[size=14pt]According to the same organization (American Psychiatric Association) APA until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. So where did the GAY mental illness go?
Could it be that the APA guys have contracted the GAY sickness and now think Religious folks are the sick ones? Hmmm, interesting stuff though.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by davien(m): 12:23am On Jul 19, 2015
NumberOne2:

You are RIGHT. Here is why.

[size=14pt]According to the same organization (American Psychiatric Association) APA until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. So where did the GAY mental illness go?
Could it be that the APA guys have contracted the GAY sickness and now think Religious folks are the sick ones? Hmmm, interesting stuff though.[/size]
Nice logic...and since ovaries were once thought to cause madness and the belief was withdrawn,i guess everyone caught the madness... undecided

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by cold(m): 12:53am On Jul 19, 2015
Gaborone:
Interested in finding out how they intend to successfully tout for legislation that would allow forced treatment/medical battery in the instances they mentioned, especially in view of the right to freedom of religion.
You're free to practice your religion any way you wish. But it is also within the doctor's right and jurisdiction to save lives irrespective of your beliefs. If anyone is so convinced in the existence of some god and his healing powers,why visit the hospital at all? Why not just pray your sicknesses away and also focus on faith healings Chris Oyakilome style?
The legislation if it comes to fruition will be a welcome development.

As an afterthought,isn't it perplexing god had to create Atheists and scientists to solve the problems faith and prayers were supposed to solve?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
hahn:

Ok I'm here :

1.Most of these people that shout "fire a billion times" have had personal experiences with Him
2. Its obvious you have very little knowledge of what tithing is about
3. You have all your life to decide if you will be there or not so I wonder why and what you are afraid of
4 . Are you better than any christian or God-believer on Nairaland , only , that from your poorly cooked up rubbish you describe one as "mentally ill " ?

johnydon22 ... if what you wrote is sincere ... then its cool

Lol ... plaetton and his usual nonesense ... its becoming really embarrassing you know
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
cold:

You're free to practice your religion any way you wish. But it is also within the doctor's right and jurisdiction to save lives irrespective of your beliefs. If anyone is so convinced in the existence of some god and his healing powers,why visit the hospital at all? Why not just pray your sicknesses away and also focus on faith healings Chris Oyakilome style?
The legislation if it comes to fruition will be a welcome development.

As an afterthought,isn't it perplexing god had to create Atheists and scientists to solve the problems faith and prayers were supposed to solve?

Another embarrassing rubbish

1.There are medical practitioners and scientists who are Christians .

2.God created man in his image and likeness - the ability of man to create is of God . If man decides to make drugs from what God created to cure diseases , isn't it the same as God curing that disease undecided . What about natural herbs(God's creation) used for curing diseases ?

Simple , God just wants you not to wholly depend on the efficacy of drugs

3. God allowed the atheists to continue in existence in fulfillment of the prophecy of the last days .

1 Timothy 4:1

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

"...depart from their faith ..." ... who are these people ? The atheists ! The prophecy of the last days is being fulfilled on your heads .

"...giving heed to doctrines of devils ... " what doctrines ? the "evidences " that God does not exist ; seeing his existence as illogical

Romans 1:28

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind and to things that should not be done.

Since you have decided to deny his existence , he is giving you more reasons to deny his existence . My friend , you are being used in fulfillment of the prophecy .If there are no atheists , who were these people the bible is referring to ? Who are the ones that will depart from their faith ? Be wise ! cry cry cry cry cry . I just hope you will see the truth in the reasons Im giving you .
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
davien:
Nice logic...and since ovaries were once thought to cause madness and the belief was withdrawn,i guess everyone caught the madness... undecided

Lol .. the guy dropped a massive bomb and you came up with some sort of damage control .... very typical of the atheist grin grin

1 Like

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 20, 2015
The belief in a God is a sign of poor upbringing
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by hahn(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Ok I'm here :

1.Most of these people that shout "fire a billion times" have had personal experiences with Him
2. Its obvious you have very little knowledge of what tithing is about
3. You have all your life to decide if you will be there or not so I wonder why and what you are afraid of
4 . Are you better than any christian or God-believer on Nairaland , only , that from your poorly cooked up rubbish you describe one as "mentally ill " ?

johnydon22 ... if what you wrote is sincere ... then its cool

Lol ... plaetton and his usual nonesense ... its becoming really embarrassing you know

Bubu!
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:33am On Jul 20, 2015
hahn:

Bubu!
shocked why do you know my nickname
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by hahn(m): 9:44am On Jul 20, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
shocked why do you know my nickname

grin
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:05am On Jul 20, 2015
hahn:
grin
hahn ? ... Hmmm !
Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by hahn(m): 10:16am On Jul 20, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

hahn ? ... Hmmm !

It was revealed to me by the holy spirit wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA by Fauve7: 6:27am On Jul 24, 2015
I agree with the article! If God really exist why he allows so much suffering, while the owners of this world are getting richer and poor people are getting poorer. What kind of God would tolerate slavery, colonization, re-colonization, wars, the pillage of the African Continent ressources,and promise a paradise to disfranchise people after their death if they behave a certain way. It obvious for intelligent people to believe in this nonsense. These God or Gods exist in people's mind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Jesus Have To Die? / The Fastest Growing Prophetic And Deliverance Ministry In Nigeria / Where Did The Non-isrealites(gentiles) During Ancient Times Go Heaven Or Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.