Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,360 members, 7,836,470 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories (21061 Views)

What Are Those Superstitious Beliefs You Once Believed In While Growing Up? / 15 Signs You Grew Up In A Nigerian Home / Did You Read This While Growing Up? (snap Shot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by kings52: 9:51am On Jul 22, 2015
ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT!! ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
If you Chose the University of Nigeria Nsukka as your first choice institute and your destination is too far for you to come and register for the Post UTME exams which is coming up next month. no need of wasting your Money for transport and accommodation just contact us and we will help you in getting the job done. don't panic you are safe in our hands just trust us and we will do it for you!!!
08035125115, 0803525115

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by damilareoye: 9:58am On Jul 22, 2015
*Wearing a uniform outfit with your siblings *

I lovit.
cheesy
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Krossbow123: 9:59am On Jul 22, 2015
OP you are right on point....there was this mango tree within our neighbourhood, our dad warned us not to go near it. trust kids, we know what time he normally close from office (4pm), so we would climb this mango tree looking for any mango fruit that shows sign of being matured (not Ripe). One day, our dad came back home to pick something... he caught us red handed, he went back to the office. He pretended as if he is not going to punish us. When he came back after closing finally from the office, he ask each of us to climb the mango Tree and pluck 5 mango fruits each, we did that. He asked each of us to get a cup of water each, we did that. omo, he ordered us to start eating the mango fruit or face his Koboko. Omo, we think say na small punishment, and we were somehow relived, Kai, by the time we got to 3rd mango crying and begging don start ooo. when we managed and finished the 5th Mango, we were ordered to wash it down with our cup of water, from there we went straight to bed (6pm), No dinner for that day....since then, even after the mango season, we no dey go near the mango tree again.

3 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by damilareoye: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2015
abumeinben:
Clearing papa table after hin don chop finish.....something must dey dat plate

grin
cheesy

The speed of rushing the remaining food is overwhelming.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Neduzze5(m): 10:02am On Jul 22, 2015
LaDivva:

From my mum, I was able to bargain and buy like an adult at 14, the market women were amazed. With time they all knew me, I became the wife of all their sons lol. I miss those good old days shaa

Lolz... I used to follow mum to the market sha and I still do. But then, I'll just leave her when I get tired of walking around with her and sit some where and wait for her or lose concentration.

Didn't learn how to bargain from her. Learnt it the hard way.. When I entered the university, went to the market and bought a polo for 2,000 naira. I was toldtold 3,000 and I priced 2, 000. The sharp guy sharpaly agreed.

I came back to the hostel feeling like a funky guy that just bought a polo for 2,000 naira instead of 3,000 thereby saving 1k. I gisted my hostel mates about it. The kin laugh dey laugh me dat day enh, I can never forget in a hurry.

Told me that the polo was worth 200 naira, in the most extreme cases, 500 naira. The worst part was that the polo was not even my size. Twas way shorter than me. My guys called it "show belle"!! I wan die that day!!

Since then, I learnt my lesson. If you tell me 10k, I will tell you 1k and we start bargaining from there. All na pricing!!

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Neduzze5(m): 10:08am On Jul 22, 2015
MumZ, it's been quite long. I sight you. Hope life's been treating you fair??
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by ugodean8485(f): 10:11am On Jul 22, 2015
The going to market part got me laughing. I give our mothers thumps up. If they had met new generation market women where you are been insulted for pricing their goods.

New generation market women

Me:madam how much for one tuber of yam?
Market woman :customer Na N300 last.
Me:haba Na e too cost. No I pay N200
Market woman sadignores you nd look somewhere else)
Me:madam wetin you talk na
Market woman:abeg carry yourself comot for my store. U wan bring bad market for me?
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Klexy007(m): 10:11am On Jul 22, 2015
So True!!!
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by fransixe(m): 10:25am On Jul 22, 2015
one of those mischievous circumstances where ur taking a sneak peak to one of your uncle's x rated movies on your family VCR player...along the line NEPA takes "their light"!...the looks on your face when your folks return from work in the evening and there's still no light to eject the cassette! omo...your own na sorry that night!

3 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by no2fuks(m): 10:47am On Jul 22, 2015
franconian:
grin "Surprising you parents, or trying to play a prank!
Mum, Dad Surprise, Surprise!
Don’t even try to surprise your African dad, or you might end up surprising yourself."

I learned this lesson long ago; I painted my dad's bible with brown pancake just like some bibles I saw in the church. The idea was to tell him I magically transformed his bible to a new one. I did a nice job.

When he came in the evening, I ran to him while holding the bible behind me. I asked him to close his eyes that I want to surprise him, he obliged. So I held the bible in front of him and asked him to open his eyes... Mehn, the man dealt with me like I committed sacrilege. Na my mum come later settle the quarrel!!!

telling your nigerian dad "close your eyes" lol
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by no2fuks(m): 10:51am On Jul 22, 2015
nochildsplay:
reminds me of my childhood, was actually raised like this. We are not even allowed to mingle with kids in the neighborhood, always upstairs admiring outside from the window like we are in a prison grin cheesy

God Bless The Real African Parents

I bet you need therapy @nochildsplay
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by MumZ(f): 10:55am On Jul 22, 2015
Neduzze5:
MumZ, it's been quite long. I sight you. Hope life's been treating you fair??

Runaway u, I'm great n hope u good 2.
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by nochildsplay(m): 11:05am On Jul 22, 2015
no2fuks:

I bet you need therapy @nochildsplay
get me one na. Cos, I know people like u are so eager to yab anyone
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by no2fuks(m): 11:09am On Jul 22, 2015
nochildsplay:
get me one na. Cos, I know people like u are so eager to yab anyone

atol I no dey yab u. its just that your story and ur username is nochildsplay. its ironic.

no offense bro
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Achilies(m): 11:21am On Jul 22, 2015
Chaiii
I remember the day my late dad told my mom that she is his one and only bush meat.
That without her his soup ( his life) will be tasteless.

Throughout that month na so momsi the smile like person whe win million dollars

Momsi later told us that was the only time her husband told her how much he loves her.

15 years after his death she still holds his picture and cry at times alone in her room.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by sorextee(m): 11:32am On Jul 22, 2015
Reading this, small tears comot from my eyes cry.... i will never forget the flogging my parents dished on us... i remember when I came home with 72 position for my skool result.. was in pry 3... i told God that day that If I still remain alive, after that day, I will serve Him till eternity.. grin that night ehn, Jesus....... i was once caught smoking..... that's why till today, if I attempt drinking sef, I still feel like my mum will come out of no where and give me dat same beating....

But now a days, u see parents and kids smoking together... i thank God for the upbringing by my parents, even though they ain't together now...

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by darepoju(m): 11:54am On Jul 22, 2015
myklangelo:

Igbo ga-adịrịrị.
Visit the 1st Igbo language Blog
www.odeniigbo..com
Hope this 1 is not the Biafra blog I heard about..? undecided
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by nochildsplay(m): 11:58am On Jul 22, 2015
no2fuks:

atol I no dey yab u. its just that your story and ur username is nochildsplay. its ironic.

no offense bro
now u sound kind of somehow (no offense o). What does my username have to do with my opinion ?
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by fizziea(m): 11:58am On Jul 22, 2015
phransix147:
Very true...but these days children dey follow dia papa watch blue film and u would hear dem make comments like " Daddy the guys stuff is huge oh!"

u can lie ooo

na so u dey ff ur papa watch am?
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by no2fuks(m): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
nochildsplay:
now u sound kind of somehow (no offense o). What does my username have to do with my opinion ?

username " nochildsplay"

when you were a child you didnt get to play with the other kids outside or whatever.

get it? its not rocket science
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Pchidexy(m): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
sorextee:
Reading this, small tears comot from my eyes cry.... i will never forget the flogging my parents dished on us... i remember when I came home with 72 position for my skool result.. was in pry 3... i told God that day that If I still remain alive, after that day, I will serve Him till eternity.. grin that night ehn, Jesus....... i was once caught smoking..... that's why till today, if I attempt drinking sef, I still feel like my mum will come out of no where and give me dat same beating....

But now a days, u see parents and kids smoking together... i thank God for the upbringing by my parents, even though they ain't together now...

Damn funny!
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by no2fuks(m): 12:35pm On Jul 22, 2015
sorextee:

"if my children end up smoking I'll whip they ass if they don't pass it."

1 Like

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by phransix147(m): 12:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
fizziea:

u can lie ooo

na so u dey ff ur papa watch am?

I don't usually call people this here but sorry I can't keep it... you r a FOOOooooL
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by kadree(m): 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2015
U dare not touch d head of fish or fawu leg grin wey dey inside ur fud wen u neva eat finish or else Arrrggghhh!!! World war 2 go just b testing grin

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by ebbymayox(m): 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
This post was originally posted at

www.tlkdrum.com

Number 1 home of Nigerian and African lifestle stories.

If you don't laugh you will think.

Visit www.tlkdrum.com and start your day with a goodread.

we don't post gossip, celebrity gist, politics etc , we are original and we always keep that in mind.

Our articles are short, interesting and free to read.

We run no ad on our website.

Talking Drum, beating the Nigerian lifestyle into story.

other interesting stories we have:
15 signs you're a typical Nigerian http://www.tlkdrum.com/15-signs-youre-a-typical-nigerian/

Nigerians you find in a cinema-http://www.tlkdrum.com/annoying-kind-of-nigerians-i-met-at-the-cinema/

Dating a Nigerian man;What you should know
http://www.tlkdrum.com/the-manual-to-dating-a-nigerian-man/

Funny Nigerian proverbs and their loose translation http://www.tlkdrum.com/18-nigerian-pidgin-proverbs-that-will-surely-make-you-laugh/
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Familyfirst: 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
ebbymayox:
Written by Mayo Bayo. Source:http://www.tlkdrum.com/growing-up-in-a-nigerian-homethe-common-story/
“You spare the rod, you spoil the child”

This is the whole truth about Nigeria families,fantastic write up,just like what I normally read on www.familyparliament.com
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Familyfirst: 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
ebbymayox:
Written by Mayo Bayo. Source:http://www.tlkdrum.com/growing-up-in-a-nigerian-homethe-common-story/
“You spare the rod, you spoil the child”

good www.familyparliament.com
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Ugosample(m): 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
I had similar upbringing too.... And I believe it's not the best. It needs modifications, but not a total overhaul sha.
This style has MANY disadvantages.
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by Maryalex1805(f): 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
'Thou shall not lie…

“As a child of God, you must not lie”, your parent will sound this into your tiny ears right from infant. Yes, you shouldn't lie!
Mummy can I follow you out to Uncle Ben’s place.
Mum: Yes, Oya go put on your shoes.
Next moment, you return to find out she’s long gone.
Is that a lie? Of course Not!a lie is only when they ask you -who broke the plate and you knowing that it’s you, still insists it’s your younger brother, then that’s a lie!'

2 Likes

Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by abumeinben(m): 7:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
damilareoye:
cheesy

The speed of rushing the remaining food is overwhelming.

I dey tell u grin
Re: Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories by SenatorJames(m): 9:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
why must visitors eat food remain when served, even if it cannot feed a 2 years old baby? does it have any moral implication?

Wondering Out Loud (WOL)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igala People: Identify Urself's / My Favorite Ethiopian Song / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.