Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East (21660 Views)

Opadokun, Yoruba Leaders Collected Dollars From Abiola’s Killers – Al-mustapha / FG Borrows N600bn Annually To Augment Staff Salaries, Says SGF / UAE Blocks Attempt By An Ex-gov To Transfer Half A Billion Dollars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by CashVessel(m): 9:03am On Jul 22, 2015
SenseiX:
The World Bank has unfolded a package which would see it spending up to $2.1 billion in rebuilding the badly devastated North-eastern part of Nigeria, ravaged for the past six years by the Boko Haram insurgency.

At a meeting in Washington today with representatives of the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the World Health Organization (WHO), President Buhari said apart from rebuilding the region in terms of infrastructure, priority must also be given to the resettlement of internally displaced persons (IDPs), who now number over one million.

He urged the World Bank to send a team, which would work in concert with a team from the Federal Government, so that a proper assessment of needs could be done.
The World Bank will spend the 2.1 billion dollars through its IDA (International Development Agency), which gives low interest rates loans to government. The first 10 years will be interest free, while an additional 30 years will be at lower than capital market rate.

The World Bank is eager to move in quickly, give out the loans, and give succour to the people of North-east, long at the mercy of an insurgency that has claimed over 20,000 souls.

WHO is also to invest 300 million dollars on immunization against malaria in Nigeria, while the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will collaborate with Dangote Foundation to ensure that the country maintains its zero polio case record of the past one year. If the effort is sustained for another two years, Nigeria will be declared fully free of polio.

FEMI ADESINA
SPECIAL ADVISER, MEDIA AND PUBLICITY
JULY 21, 2015
http://www.statehouse.gov.ng/index.php/news/1327-president-buhari-hails-world-bank-s-decision-to-spend-2-1-billion-in-rebuilding-north-east

Wrong move..

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by obuduman: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2015
PMB please remember to also borrow for South south , South East, South west, North central and north west because these areas also need rebuilding and redevelopment :DPMB please remember to also borrow for South south , South East, South west, North central and north west because these areas also need rebuilding and redevelopment

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 22, 2015
PassingShot:
This will keep start the battered economy of the NE if true.

If the emboldened is correct, it's far better than what normally obtains in the capital market.

BH is still terrorising NE and PMB wants to rebuild it, this is money going down the drain

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by stephoye: 9:06am On Jul 22, 2015
Pay back time for the N/E region for supporting boko haram. But why rebuilding when destruction is still on-going in the region?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Ikiriye(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2015
Nigerians have not seen anything yet.less than 65 days 2.1 billion dollars to be borrowed.is that economic growth or total wastage.refineries are not working,infrastructure is no where and power is still a serious issue.are Nigerians thinking.are we going forward or we are heading backward.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by PassingShot(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
BH is still terrorising NE and PMB wants to rebuild it, this is money going down the drain
OK ma/sir!
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by pazienza(m): 9:08am On Jul 22, 2015
sweetgala:

Niger Delta destroyed itself, the individuals vandalizing the pipelines and causing oil leaks and explosions are from the Niger Delta, they are are the ones polluting their own water , kidnapping citizenry and causing havoc. The FG has been very kind to NG with a robust amnesty deal, extravaganza of contracts to militants , scholarships and their own ministry of the ND what else would you want.

Blame yourselves for not making good use of what you got, you can blame GEJ

And the ones destroying NE are not from the NE?

NE must be made to compensate Nigerians for lives that were lost fighting Boko haram they created and support, strict economic policy that will squeeze out money from NE people and govt must be implemented to compensate other Nigerians that have bore the blunt of Boko haram.

There have been decline in FG allocations to states as FG has been spending billions of dollars in securing weapons to fight Boko.

NE cannot be compensated for bringing suffering to other Nigerians, they must be punished like Biafrans were. The amount the FG spent on Combating Boko must be made public, and NE must be squeezed to pay atleast half of it.

I would suggest deducting monies from the bank accounts of all NE citizens both old and young.

Then, slashing their monthly allocations by atleast half and Sharing the proceeds to all other Nigerian states that are already strained economically.

I am aware that Boko blew and stole from banks in the NE. Those banks should equally be compensated.

This is Awo economics 101. what is good for the goose, is equally good for the gander.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by raffite: 9:11am On Jul 22, 2015
sweetgala:

Niger Delta destroyed itself, the individuals vandalizing the pipelines and causing oil leaks and explosions are from the Niger Delta, they are are the ones polluting their own water , kidnapping citizenry and causing havoc. The FG has been very kind to NG with a robust amnesty deal, extravaganza of contracts to militants , scholarships and their own ministry of the ND what else would you want.

Blame yourselves for not making good use of what you got, you can blame GEJ

Niger Delta struggle is a result of neglecting the goose that lays the golden egg. Moreover, the region has what it takes to take care of any loan, unlike what we see in the N. East. Not sure this is a good step when B. Haram are still active and winning the war.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by alabiyemmy(m): 9:13am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

Did you read the terms of the loan? Interest will not be paid till after ten years and repayment which will be spread over 30 years, will be at a lower interest rate than usual.

What you should be concerned about are the efforts that are being made to grow the economy so we do not feel the pinch when repayment commences eventually.

The underlying justification of any loan is purpose.

Jonathan in March this year borrowed another $2 billion under the guise of strengthening our currency after spending over $4 billion on his Presidential campaign. Who in his right senses will not condemn this senseless misplacement of priorities?

Contrast that with PMB that is borrowing to rebuild the devastated NE and restoring a semblance of hope for Nigerians caught in the war. You're comparing apples and oranges.

rubbish

Anything Jonathan did was bad in your sight whilst anything Buhari does is good in your myopic rotten mind.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Originalsly: 9:14am On Jul 22, 2015
Before declaring a WHO/IMF loan is a good thing..... can you think of one country that took such a loan and its citizens not made to suffer because if the loan? Why would Nigeria be different? Then to most this loan doesn't make sense using it to rebuild the NE when the destructive force..BH.. is still present.....but to those behind the loan it makes sense. Who is going to spearhead the rebuilding?....and into whose pockets would the loan be entering?....under what conditions was the loan given? I'm sure most of the money would go into the pockets of US consultants, engineers and companies....then Nigeria would have to do the usual stuff ...take austerity measures dictated by the World Bank....or maybe allow it's natural resources to be freely exploited by US corporations....nothing new.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by chiwuike20: 9:15am On Jul 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by sweetgala(m): 9:18am On Jul 22, 2015
raffite:

Niger Delta struggle is a result of neglecting the goose that lays the golden egg. Moreover, the region has what it takes to take care of any loan, unlike what we see in the N. East. Not sure this is a good step when B. Haram are still active and winning the war.

I'm sure they wouldn't have contractors building structures when there is a BH attack a few miles away, this is a loan which is taken in preparation for when BH are destroyed.

The loan is ready to go, we just need to cleanse the land of BH
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by sweetgala(m): 9:20am On Jul 22, 2015
pazienza:

And the ones destroying NE are not from the NE?

NE must be made to compensate Nigerians for lives that were lost fighting Boko haram they created and support, strict economic policy that will squeeze out money from NE people and govt must be implemented to compensate other Nigerians that have bore the blunt of Boko haram.

There have been decline in FG allocations to states as FG has been spending billions of dollars in securing weapons to fight Boko.

NE cannot be compensated for bringing suffering to other Nigerians, they must be punished like Biafrans were. The amount the FG spent on Combating Boko must be made public, and NE must be squeezed to pay atleast half of it.

I would suggest deducting monies from the bank accounts of all NE citizens both old and young.

Then, slashing their monthly allocations by atleast half and Sharing the proceeds to all other Nigerian states that are already strained economically.

I am aware that Boko blew and stole from banks in the NE. Those banks should equally be compensated.

This is Awo economics 101. what is good for the goose, is equally good for the gander.

I think some screws are loose upstairs you need to see a physician. A mouse would look at your except and reason to a greater level.
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by onatisi(m): 9:21am On Jul 22, 2015
sweetgala:

I'm sure they wouldn't have contractors building structures when there is a BH attack a few miles away, this is a loan which is taken in preparation for when BH are destroyed.

The loan is ready to go, we just need to cleanse the land of BH
then why don't we cleanse the land first of boko haram before agreeing to take the loan? Who knows maybe by the time boko haram is wiped out ,nigeria won't even need the laon .

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by okine4real: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2015
You see, the north get sense. Now he is borrowing money to rebuild the north, yet stupid Jona could not give d east a common second 9ja bridge, the stupid thing he could do was to go into private partnership. Jona is a Big FOOL. North destroyed there lands etc, now the whole 9ja would join hands in rebuilding the place, but stupid jona would not give us a second 9ja bridge. Jona a stupid president since 1279 bc

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by sweetgala(m): 9:26am On Jul 22, 2015
onatisi:
then why don't we cleanse the land first of boko haram before agreeing to take the loan? Who knows maybe by the time boko haram is wiped out ,nigeria won't even need the laon .

Because we know we'll need the loan. And in order to totally defeat BH , we need to enable the people of the NE without delay once BH have been destroyed , giving them strength , with the BH Menace many children have been born without proper post natal care, without vaccinations , polio and other diseases can cause damage if not addressed early.

The kids need to be put in classrooms so they grow into responsible teenagers and adults, trade needs to be energized , IDP need to be resettled
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by pazienza(m): 9:30am On Jul 22, 2015
sweetgala:

I think some screws are loose upstairs you need to see a physician. A mouse would look at your except and reason to a greater level.

You simply lack the historical knowledge to tackle the points I raised. I understand your limitation, no need going foul, you could have easily detached and allow your superiors deal with the points I raised.

Good morning.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 22, 2015
I'm looking at this from a different angle. I think the end of Boko Haram is near cos agreeing to borrow such a huge sum of money seems like a bait to get these Oyinbo people to help crush Boko Haram asap. At least, dem sha go crush them first before rebuilding go start.

My 2 kobos...
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Adminisher: 9:35am On Jul 22, 2015
SenseiX:
The same people who derided and criticized GEJ relentlessly for supposedly accumulating debt are borrowing left, right and centre

This is targeted development of Nigeria s bread basket. I am sure the funds were ready even with Jonathan. If you don't build schools, establish health centers and find jobs for young men the problem will not end and Boko Haram may soon he coming to a theatre near you.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by mekaboy(m): 9:35am On Jul 22, 2015
I dont have a problem with the loan but here is what i think.

1, Has buhari agreed to sieze fire with bokoharam, this one he is confidently taking loan.?

2, Will this loan be paid from allocation of the north eastern states or the federation?

3, What was destroyed by bokoharam? I know there are casualties and damages, but is it those village houses they burn that will be rebuilt with 2.billion? Is the investment the state govt has in the north east up to 2billion? Unless you want to tell me an amnesty program is involved as well.

But overall good move.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by freakcin: 9:37am On Jul 22, 2015
I actually respect Buhari and I believe he has good intentions but what is he building when security is not yet guaranteed. What is the essence of building North East only to have BH bomb it down.

If this development is planned for later why borrowing now? Won't there be debt servicing to be done? Shouldn't emphasis be on getting rid of BH and then building NE?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Johnsmartinyang(m): 9:44am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

If you don't grow the economy, you will struggle to pay interest when the time comes, no one said the money was to strengthen the economy. Try to understand before criticising.
Na. U talk say it will affect the economy go back to ur quotes
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by hardbody: 9:46am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

Did you read the terms of the loan? Interest will not be paid till after ten years and repayment which will be spread over 30 years, will be at a lower interest rate than usual.

What you should be concerned about are the efforts that are being made to grow the economy so we do not feel the pinch when repayment commences eventually.

Jonathan in March this year borrowed another $2 billion under the guise of strengthening our currency after spending over $4 billion on his Presidential campaign. Who in his right senses will not condemn this senseless misplacement of priorities?

Contrast that with PMB that is borrowing to rebuild the devastated NE and restoring a semblance of hope for Nigerians caught in the war. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Who devastated and is currently devastating the NE
Who set up the wildfire intended to make the country ungovernable
Why rebuild a section of the country that is still thrashing under the yoke of futuristic bombs
When Odi was leveled by the Fed Military might, who went there to rebuild
When repayment time comes, where will the income come from, S/S?
And after the repayment or shortly before, amnesty will be granted to criminals

S/S has continued to use its resources to take care of NE who continues to stand astride this contraption of a country like a collossus.

It will never be well with wicked people.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

What are u even preaching

Boko haram should be defeated first before u start talking about rebuilding the NE

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by BizBayo: 9:55am On Jul 22, 2015
tollytexy:
We just dey hear the money.. we no dey see changes

Abi o, for the past six years na money we just dey hear. But only a blind man will not see the changes that has occured and that which is bound to occur in this current administration. Abi wetin you think?
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by centjamie(m): 10:01am On Jul 22, 2015
eighTHREAD
post=36143038:

SE should start blowing up their region too.

When the Nigerian government destroyed the SE 45-48yrs ago,who rebuilt it?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by sweetgala(m): 10:06am On Jul 22, 2015
pazienza:

You simply lack the historical knowledge to tackle the points I raised. I understand your limitation, no need going foul, you could have easily detached and allow your superiors deal with the points I raised.

Good morning.

The SE waged a war against the Nigerian state as a coalition, BH neither represents the interests nor the will of the NE people.

At no point have the NE submitted an intention to vacate the Nigerian state or violently attempted a succession.
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by pazienza(m): 10:15am On Jul 22, 2015
sweetgala:

The SE waged a war against the Nigerian state as a coalition, BH neither represents the interests nor the will of the NE people.

At no point have the NE submitted an intention to vacate the Nigerian state or violently attempted a succession.

That is of no significance. The facts remain:

1.Boko Haram grew and was nurtured by North easterners.

2. The Boko problem was created by NE

3. The campaign against Boko has cost Nigeria Billions of dollars. And someone has to pay for it.

4. Boko wouldn't have survived without the support of NEasteners. Boko members are consistently being supplied by NE population.

5. NE must be used as a scape goat to prevent other regions from allowing terrorist groups grow in their region.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by ikkkkk: 10:16am On Jul 22, 2015
Tomfrench:
So long the destroyers still linger.....

its just a matter of time, the rebuilt empires will be crushed and bombed down to bits..

and at the end MONEY IS WASTED!! undecided

True

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Bolosiye: 10:18am On Jul 22, 2015
SenseiX:
The World Bank has unfolded a package which would see it spending up to $2.1 billion in rebuilding the badly devastated North-eastern part of Nigeria, ravaged for the past six years by the Boko Haram insurgency.

At a meeting in Washington today with representatives of the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the World Health Organization (WHO), President Buhari said apart from rebuilding the region in terms of infrastructure, priority must also be given to the resettlement of internally displaced persons (IDPs), who now number over one million.

He urged the World Bank to send a team, which would work in concert with a team from the Federal Government, so that a proper assessment of needs could be done.
The World Bank will spend the 2.1 billion dollars through its IDA (International Development Agency), which gives low interest rates loans to government. The first 10 years will be interest free, while an additional 30 years will be at lower than capital market rate.

The World Bank is eager to move in quickly, give out the loans, and give succour to the people of North-east, long at the mercy of an insurgency that has claimed over 20,000 souls.

WHO is also to invest 300 million dollars on immunization against malaria in Nigeria, while the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will collaborate with Dangote Foundation to ensure that the country maintains its zero polio case record of the past one year. If the effort is sustained for another two years, Nigeria will be declared fully free of polio.

FEMI ADESINA
SPECIAL ADVISER, MEDIA AND PUBLICITY
JULY 21, 2015
http://www.statehouse.gov.ng/index.php/news/1327-president-buhari-hails-world-bank-s-decision-to-spend-2-1-billion-in-rebuilding-north-east
did i hear buhari is borrowing to rebuild kini, when de war in de north east is still fiercily on?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by adisaoogo: 10:28am On Jul 22, 2015
kodded:

this buhari get sense at all ?

Tackle boko haram first before thinking of rebuilding any where, who will stay in a place where bomb is their daily bread ? undecided

the rebuilding wont start tomorrow nah
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by fairheven: 10:30am On Jul 22, 2015
why don't we pursue an all-embracing approach in development of our great nation,these sectional an reactive measures aren't helping our course

Do we wait for BAKKASSI or MASSOB to carry arm an destroy the EAST, MEND to Destroy the Niger Delta or for OPC to destroy the West before we seek all-round development for the entire regions?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

APC Will Lose In 2019 - Yakassai / "As A Mother, I Cannot Order Police To Shoot At Students"-Erelu Bisi Fayemi / Kirikasamma Local Govt Bans Men, Women From Meeting At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.