Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

College Of Aviation, Ilorin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / College Of Aviation, Ilorin (2557 Views)

Meet Hadi Sirika Katsina Billionaire Tipped To Be Nigeria's Minister Of Aviation / FRSC Boss Osita Chidoka, New Minister Of Aviation? / Minister Of Aviation Declares War On Yoruba – (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

College Of Aviation, Ilorin by bilms(m): 6:31pm On Mar 12, 2009
i must confess that the kwara state governor is really trying. he just completed an aviation school.

u can check it out here.

http://www.kwarastate.gov.ng/college-of-aviation-ilorin.html
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by TOYOSI20(f): 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2009
What more can i say we so R-O-C-K!!! kiss kiss kiss

Thanks for posting this o jare Bilms!! wink cheesy
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by bilms(m): 6:42pm On Mar 12, 2009
cheers
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by DisGuy: 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2009
bilms:

i must confess that the kwara state governor is really trying. he just completed an aviation school.

u can check it out here.

take it easy, they only signed the proposal last late year with a company based in dubai, don't praise anything that's not being completed in nigeria!

I think the kwara state government is doing quite well; only thing is their PPP arrangement has more of govt money than private, more grease to his hair anyway, all they have to do now is sell the state, advert in CNN next  wink

Afonja city  cool
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by TOYOSI20(f): 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2009
Ahhhhh!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Me I'm excited oo, for real, i praise them big time, more power to ma people o jare!!! cool cool
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by JustGood(m): 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2009
This is getting interesting fa! cheesy
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by TOYOSI20(f): 7:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
Afi fa naa ni!!, im so excited maself!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

College of Avaition?? cool cool, im thrilled!!
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by bilms(m): 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2009
http://www.triumphnewspapers.com/ibn30122008.html

On coming to power in 2003, Governor Bukola Saraki saw the economic and social benefits that Ilorin in particular and Kwara State in general can derive from a fully functioning Ilorin airport. He thereafter decided to use some of the resources of the state to develop the airport to international standards and attract airlines to use it, thereby turning it from a wasting asset to a productive one.
Passenger terminal
The first facelift of the airport was the building of a passenger terminal. Our airport now has a modern passenger terminal. The importance of this cannot be over emphasised. Various devices required for a safe operation in an airport such as screening machines for passengers and their luggage were provided in the building. This has made it possible for domestic and international flights to operate from the airport. Two domestic airlines now operate flights to and from the airport. Between them, they have 10 daily departures and arrivals at the airport conveying passengers between Ilorin and Lagos as well as between Ilorin and Abuja. As time goes on, the frequency of flights would increase significantly and make travelling to Ilorin from other parts of the country easier.
Cargo terminal
Input and export of goods via an airport is facilitated by the availability of a cargo terminal. A huge amount of goods comes into Nigeria, mostly through the Murtala Mohammed International Airport. While a good part of such goods are destined for Lagos and its environs, substantial proportion goes to other parts of the country. An inland cargo terminal located in Ilorin would provide a cheaper opportunity for shippers.
The government is constructing an international cargo terminal at the Ilorin airport. Apart from making importation easier as mentioned earlier, it would create tremendous opportunity for export of goods. This is an important point that I want to expatiate.
The state government has taken the modernisation and enlargement of agriculture as an important element in its development programme. To this end, it invited Zimbabwe farmers who were driven out of that country to come and settle in Kwara and use their expertise to revolutionise our agriculture. This has worked wonders as everyone who has visited them at Tsonga have reported.
Before the crackdown by the Mugabe government, Zimbabwe was a major producer and exporter of flowers. Various types of flowers were grown on a large scale and exported nightly by airfreight to Europe. This trade was worth over $100M annually. All that has now stop.
Kwara state has another opportunity here for white Zimbabwean farmers to come and be producing flowers for export. This would be possible with the cargo terminal facilities at the airport. The economy of Kwara would be significantly boosted by a foreign exchange earning of $100M. Without the airport, this would not be possible.
Funding Support
Airline operators and the oil industry would be the beneficiaries of the programmes we are setting up at the College. We therefore plan to aggressively canvass them to get various types of student sponsorships and grants to IAC. Each one of the domestic airlines would be encouraged to sponsor 2 pilots and I engineer for ab initio training every year. This would be in addition to participation in the cadet programme.
All State governments and especially the northern states would be encouraged to sponsor at least 3 pilots, 2 engineers and 1 controller on a yearly basis.
Benefits and Opportunities for the Community
The establishment of the International Aviation College, Ilorin would bring a lot of benefits and opportunities for the host community and the country in general. Employment opportunities would be created during the construction stage and beyond. The state will be come a destination for people coming from different parts of Africa for training. But of far more importance is the opportunity for our young people to take advantage of the location of the college. We must encourage them to become interested in the profession.
*Tunde Yusuf is Chairman BellViews Airlines. He delivered the paper at the Third Estate Annual Lecture in Ilorin, Kwara State on December 8, 2008
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by Fhemmmy: 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2009
Never heard of much good stuff from Kwara, so this governor has caterpaulted Kwara to the front, i respect.
And to know that the guy is not just making a noise or an announcement, but that it has actually being finished, i really have regards to him, Next presidency seems to be getting tight and interesting
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by bilms(m): 5:56pm On Mar 13, 2009
lol
Re: College Of Aviation, Ilorin by BItt: 8:41pm On Feb 12, 2022
bilms:

u can check it out here.

bukola did well

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Kidnap Federal Assistant Director In Abuja / Cnn Condemns Pastor Helen Ukpabio For Attacking Child Witches In Akwa Ibom / Lagos State Governor's 2011 Budget Presentation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.