Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed (4926 Views)

God First - Ugandan Lady Shares Pics Of Herself Reading Bible Wearing Only Shirt / Man And His Horse Wearing Lord's Chosen Apron (Photo) / The Hijab Can Decieve You... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 8:39am On Jul 22, 2015
I probably do not fit into the preconceived notion of a “rebel”. I have no visible tattoos and minimal piercing. I do not possess a leather jacket. In fact, when most people look at me, their first thought usually is something along the lines of “oppressed female.” The brave individuals who have mustered the courage to ask me about the way I dress usually have questions like: “Do your parents make you wear that?” or “Don’t you find that really unfair?”

A while back, a couple of girls in Montreal were kicked out of school for dressing like I do. It seems strange that a little piece of cloth would make for such controversy. Perhaps the fear is that I am harboring an Uzi underneath it! Of course, the issue at hand is more than a mere piece of cloth. I am a Muslim woman who, like millions of other Muslim women across the globe, chooses to wear the hijab. And the concept of the hijab, contrary to popular opinion, is actually one of the most fundamental aspects of female empowerment.

When I cover myself, I make it virtually impossible for people to judge me according to the way I look. I cannot be categorized because of my attractiveness or lack thereof.

Compare this to life in today’s society: We are constantly sizing one another up on the basis of our clothing, jewelry, hair and makeup. What kind of depth can there be in a world like this? Yes, I have a body, a physical manifestation upon this Earth. But it is the vessel of an intelligent mind and a strong spirit. It is not for the beholder to leer at or to use in advertisements to sell everything from beer to cars!

Because of the superficiality of the world in which we live, external appearances are so stressed that the value of the individual counts for almost nothing. It is a myth that women in today’s society are liberated! What kind of freedom can there be when a woman can not walk down the street without every aspect of her physical self being “checked out”?

When I wear the hijab I feel safe from all of this. I can rest assured that no one is looking at me and making assumptions about my character from the length of my skirt. There is a barrier between me and those who would exploit me. I am first and foremost a human being, equal to any man, and not vulnerable because of my sexuality.

One of the saddest truths of our time is the question of the beauty myth and female self-image. Reading popular teenage magazines, you can instantly find out what kind of body image is “in” or “out.” and if you have the “wrong” body type, well, then, you’re just going to have to change it, aren’t you? After all, there is no way that you can be overweight and still be beautiful.

Look at any advertisement. Is a woman being used to sell the product? How old is she? How attractive is she? What is she wearing? More often than not, that woman will be no older than her early 20s, taller, slimmer and more attractive than average, dressed in skimpy clothing. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated like this?

Whether the 90s woman wishes to believe it or not, she is being forced into a mold. She is being coerced into selling herself, into compromising herself. This is why we have 13-year-old girls sticking their fingers down their throats and overweight adolescents hanging themselves.

When people ask me if I feel oppressed, I can honestly say no. I made this decision out of my own free will. I like the fact that I am taking control of the way other people perceive me. I enjoy the fact that I don’t give anyone anything to look at and that I have released myself from the bondage of the swinging pendulum of the fashion industry and other institutions that exploit females.

My body is my own business. Nobody can tell me how I should look or whether or not I am beautiful. I know that there is more to me than that. I am also able to say “no” comfortably when people ask me if I feel as though my sexuality is being repressed. I have taken control of my sexuality. I am thankful I will never have to suffer the fate of trying to lose/gain weight or trying to find the exact lipstick shade that will go with my skin color. I have made choices about what my priorities are and these are not among them.

So next time you see me, don’t look at me sympathetically. I am not under duress or a male-worshipping female captive from those barbarous Arabic deserts! I’ve been liberated.
By Sultana Yusufali

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by Lateralmaths(m): 8:43am On Jul 22, 2015
clothes don't liberate, knowing and accepting the love of God through Jesus Christ gives true liberation.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by delishpot: 8:47am On Jul 22, 2015
Happy you chose to dress that way and not by force. Many women in other parts if the world are forced into wearing certain clothes and even colors. While you are celebrating your freedom of choice without any consequence if you decide to not use the veil, please remember those women who cant say their covering was a choice not forced or enforeced by any relative, sharia police or society upon them.

4 Likes

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 9:02am On Jul 22, 2015
delishpot:
Happy you chose to dress that way and not by force. Many women in other parts if the wo4ld are forced into wearing certain clothes and even colors. While you are celebrating your freedom of choice without any consequence if you decide to not use the veil, please remember those women who cant say their covering was a choice not forced or enforeced by any relative, sharia police or society upon them.

You are right not everyone wears it out of choice ,how about people who are denied the right to also wear it? This is just to break the myth that every single muslim wearing hijab is an oppressed female.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2015
Lateralmaths:
clothes don't liberate, knowing and accepting the love of God through Jesus Christ gives true liberation.

Typical undecided, I believe in Jesus more than you do. Let's not derail, being a muslim and following the Qur'an and sunnah as Allah has commanded
gives me true liberation.

1 Like

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by delishpot: 9:06am On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

You are right not everyone wears it out of choice ,how about people who are denied the right to also wear it? This is just to break the myth that every single muslim wearing hijab is an oppressed female.

True. Its not only about the hijab sha. Even christian women who tie their head with scarf are also looked upon the same way. ie deeper life women and others like them. But yes, not every veiled or covered woman is oppressed. Some chose to do so out of conviction.
Every wonan has the right to cover if she wants to.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by onetrack(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

Just a question; what do you think about the niqab or burka (covering the face)?
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2015
onetrack:

Just a question; what do you think about the niqab or burka (covering the face)?

It's not really about how i feel. It's not wrong to wear the niqab or burka , it is also not compulsory and people shouldn't be forced to unless they are convinced about wearing it
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 10:06am On Jul 22, 2015
delishpot:

True. Its not only about the hijab sha. Even christian women who tie their head with scarf are also looked upon the same way. ie deeper life women and others like them. But yes, not every veiled or covered woman is oppressed. Some chose to do so out of conviction.
Every wonan has the right to cover if she wants to.
Exactly the same way people are allowed to go naked, showing everything. Having tatoos and lots more
Why when someone dresses according to a religion they are mocked or said to be oppressed. Double standard i guess.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by An2elect2(f): 10:08am On Jul 22, 2015
How a Muslim believes in Jesus more than a christian, is mind boggling. undecided oh oh we shouldn't derail...

So i choose not to cover me completely and dress like a normal woman makes me enslaved? wow i see.

1 Like

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 11:04am On Jul 22, 2015
An2elect2:
How a Muslim believes in Jesus more than a christian, is mind boggling. undecided oh oh we shouldn't derail...

So i choose not to cover me completely and dress like a normal woman makes me enslaved? wow i see.

Who says the way you dress is normal. Go down through history and see if people dressed like this in 1808. Who said covering hair isn't normal?
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by An2elect2(f): 11:28am On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

Who says the way you dress is normal. Go down through history and see if people dressed like this in 1808. Who said covering hair isn't normal?

Well, whether you like it or not, the way non-muslim women dress is what the society calls normal, hence the reason for your post. Innit? to correct the notion.

I didn't use the word 'normal' to classify muslim dress sense but the way society will. My bad, i was not clear.

bashbabe, maybe you are speaking for only yourself because there are some Muslim women who don't think they are 'liberated' with those clothes on them. Maybe, if they had their way, they would have a different wardrobe.

And you failed to state in your post that there are decent and non decent non muslim ways of dressing. You made it look like we all dress to kill.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by yaolad: 11:54am On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

It's not really about how i feel. It's not wrong to wear the niqab or burka , it is also not compulsory and people shouldn't be forced to unless they are convinced about wearing it
sorry,you need to ask for forgiveness because what u just said here is that,u are against the word of Almighty ALLAH because it has been revealed in the QURAN that it is compulsory for any woman to be in veil (sunnah muhakadah)and no one must against it because if u do so,you are against verse in the holy QURAN and anyone that against any verses in the QURAN has against the QURAN generally.....If anyone call him/herself a muslim and against the word of Almighty ALLAH sent down to us and the person is refer to as (MUNAFIQ) and anyone that's MUNAFIQ to religion of Almighty ALLAH will be put in the down blow of hell fire in the day of resurrection.....May Almighty ALLAH not let us be part of them.....(AMEN)
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 12:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
An2elect2:

Well, whether you like it or not, the way non-muslim women dress is what the society calls normal, hence the reason for your post. Innit? to correct the notion.

I didn't use the word 'normal' to classify muslim dress sense but the way society will. My bad, i was not clear.

bashbabe, maybe you are speaking for only yourself because there are some Muslim women who don't think they are 'liberated' with those clothes on them. Maybe, if they had their way, they would have a different wardrobe.

And you failed to state in your post that there are decent and non decent non muslim ways of dressing. You made it look like we all dress to kill.

I also understand where you coming from. Society view it as normal. Even our parents/ grand parents didn't dress the way we dress these days. Why do we let society dictate what is Normal? I think we all like to follow trend, stay in vogue and all that

The reason why I posted this is just to let people not see an hijabites on the street and feel sorry or see us as backward or uncivilised. It's not all of us that are forced to wear it.

For people that were forced or would like to take it off,this is mainly due to lack of knowledge. I once started and took it off because as at then I was just following some muslim sisters doing it and didn't really have the knowledge.

People should be convinced and happy they are doing it for Allah. Muslim women should be encouraged, admonished and it should be done in a nice way and it requires patience as well. If not they might feel like they are being forced and likely to take it off.

I don't have the right to condemn anyone's dressing and so people shouldn't condemn mine too . It's a personal choice
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
You can still dress modestly without the Hijab though I personally have no problems with the Hijab. Only burqas should be banned.

But I agree , women have been so sexualised in this day and age with many of them reinforcing the cheap stereotype by dressing like whor.es.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 22, 2015
yaolad:
sorry,you need to ask for forgiveness because what u just said here is that,u are against the word of Almighty ALLAH because it has been revealed in the QURAN that it is compulsory for any woman to be in veil (sunnah muhakadah)and no one must against it because if u do so,you are against verse in the holy QURAN and anyone that against any verses in the QURAN has against the QURAN generally.....If anyone call him/herself a muslim and against the word of Almighty ALLAH sent down to us and the person is refer to as (MUNAFIQ) and anyone that's MUNAFIQ to religion of Almighty ALLAH will be put in the down blow of hell fire in the day of resurrection.....May Almighty ALLAH not let us be part of them.....(AMEN)

This one sounds like a fundermentalist, a potential terrorist undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by onetrack(m): 4:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

I guess my questions are, is a country like Chad right to ban covering the face for security reasons? Is that a temporary measure you could support? Or do religious beliefs have preference?
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by jcross19: 9:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
bashbabe2:

Typical undecided, I believe in Jesus more than you do. Let's not derail, being a muslim and following the Qur'an and sunnah as Allah has commanded
gives me true liberation.
you do not believe in jesus okay any man or woman that's jesus is not son of God is doom already you only isa the son of mary but my jesus is the first born of the dead.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by ByfireByfire: 5:03am On Jul 23, 2015
bashbabe2:

1. Don't pretend you don't know or support the fact that its compulsory in your religion.

2. There are many ways of dressing decent and all covered up without necessarily being a hijab or burqa.

3. You can't call it normal and proper when you are wearing the same type of apparel January to December all in the name of modesty when there can be modesty with "variety" .

4. You can't call it proper and normal when you stuff yourself head to toe with robes even at the hottest seasons and temperatures. Yes I've seen some of your misguided adherents Sweating profusely and even emitting foul odor(stating fact & no abuse intended) when you seat next to them in buses during very hot weather. Temperatures also determine apparel.

5. Women are always the victims aren't they. If hijab or burqa or niqab is the right way according to your religion why are men exempted? Or men alone are right to be judged according to physical appearance. Same way an innocent woman is stoned for adultery leaving the man that most probably coerced her into the act she never even asked for.

6. If hijab or burqa is good for you, are you speaking the mind of a billion others that feel oppressed wearing it but have no choice? You may even be alone in this your proclaimed liberty.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by ByfireByfire: 5:12am On Jul 23, 2015
yaolad:

Make no mistake. You don't need to look far. Here's an Islamic state militant right here on nairaland ready to behead non comformists for the minutest of negligible error if he finds the means.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by englishmart(m): 9:30am On Jul 23, 2015
picture of you in hijab or you end this epistle

1 Like

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 10:33am On Jul 23, 2015
ByfireByfire:

1. Don't pretend you don't know or support the fact that its compulsory in your religion.

2. There are many ways of dressing decent and all covered up without necessarily being a hijab or burqa.

3. You can't call it normal and proper when you are wearing the same type of apparel January to December all in the name of modesty when there can be modesty with "variety" .

4. You can't call it proper and normal when you stuff yourself head to toe with robes even at the hottest seasons and temperatures. Yes I've seen some of your misguided adherents Sweating profusely and even emitting foul odor(stating fact & no abuse intended) when you seat next to them in buses during very hot weather. Temperatures also determine apparel.

5. Women are always the victims aren't they. If hijab or burqa or niqab is the right way according to your religion why are men exempted? Or men alone are right to be judged according to physical appearance. Same way an innocent woman is stoned for adultery leaving the man that most probably coerced her into the act she never even asked for.

6. If hijab or burqa is good for you, are you speaking the mind of a billion others that feel oppressed wearing it but have no choice? You may even be alone in this your proclaimed liberty.

Yea it's compulsory for women to dress as stated in the Qur'an. Hijab is different from face covering which is not compulsory.

For a Muslimah we have to follow what is written in the Qur'an and sunnah. We were created to worship and obey Allah all other things are secondary. It doesn't matter the season or weather, there are many materials of clothing,we don't have to wear something that will make us warm or sweat. The clothing must not be see through, shows the shape be too flashy but can be of different colours and so on. So far it meets all these requirements we are good to go.

Women have been given features that attract them to the opposite sex and men are moved by what they see, so no we are not a victim we are not to be viewed as sex object. This is to protect us and for our own good and to protect immorality
Men also have the parts of their body that must be covered

Billions others what are you talking about. You just trying hard to discredit people wearing the hijab hence Reason for the post. Why do you assume billions of people are wearing it out of no choice. I'm sure it's the opposite

1 Like

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 10:35am On Jul 23, 2015
yaolad:

Bring your evidence please. According to most scholars it's not compulsory. Some support it and some don't. It doesn't mean it's wrong to wear or not wear it
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by bashbabe2: 10:36am On Jul 23, 2015
englishmart:
picture of you in hijab or end this epistle

grin grin
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by true2god: 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
yaolad:
You better dont go about bombing people who are not on hijab. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by ByfireByfire: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2015
bashbabe2:

Yea it's compulsory for women to dress as stated in the Qur'an. Hijab is different from face covering which is not compulsory.

For a Muslimah we have to follow what is written in the Qur'an and sunnah. We were created to worship and obey Allah all other things are secondary.

I simply see another fundamentalist/extremist ideology being hidden undercover.

Just tell us you're one of them. Stop pretending about it. Feel good to join the sharia police in Islamic State Iraq.

2 Likes

Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 31, 2015
I def support you, but does it really keep you from getting checked out tho ('cuz it doesn't)? I've worn it recently, and it hasn't changed anything. It's not like it keeps men from looking at you, or trying to talk to you. Really, unless you've been excessively flaunting your body to begin with, the claim that it keeps men away is baseless IME. It does nothing against male attention. In fact, where I am I attracted additional attention because of it.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 31, 2015
ByfireByfire:

I simply see another fundamentalist/extremist ideology being hidden undercover.

Just tell us you're one of them. Stop pretending about it. Feel good to join the sharia police in Islamic State Iraq.

Put out that fire, smh undecided
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by neocortex: 9:31pm On Oct 12, 2015
bashbabe2:

I bet your conscience was telling you "this is not me" while you wrote this.
But the fear of eternal punishment in hell prevent you from excercising your
freedom of thought.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by God2man(m): 6:39am On Oct 13, 2015
bashbabe2:
I probably do not fit into the preconceived notion of a “rebel”. I have no visible tattoos and minimal piercing. I do not possess a leather jacket. In fact, when most people look at me, their first thought usually is something along the lines of “oppressed female.” The brave individuals who have mustered the courage to ask me about the way I dress usually have questions like: “Do your parents make you wear that?” or “Don’t you find that really unfair?”

A while back, a couple of girls in Montreal were kicked out of school for dressing like I do. It seems strange that a little piece of cloth would make for such controversy. Perhaps the fear is that I am harboring an Uzi underneath it! Of course, the issue at hand is more than a mere piece of cloth. I am a Muslim woman who, like millions of other Muslim women across the globe, chooses to wear the hijab. And the concept of the hijab, contrary to popular opinion, is actually one of the most fundamental aspects of female empowerment.

When I cover myself, I make it virtually impossible for people to judge me according to the way I look. I cannot be categorized because of my attractiveness or lack thereof.

Compare this to life in today’s society: We are constantly sizing one another up on the basis of our clothing, jewelry, hair and makeup. What kind of depth can there be in a world like this? Yes, I have a body, a physical manifestation upon this Earth. But it is the vessel of an intelligent mind and a strong spirit. It is not for the beholder to leer at or to use in advertisements to sell everything from beer to cars!

Because of the superficiality of the world in which we live, external appearances are so stressed that the value of the individual counts for almost nothing. It is a myth that women in today’s society are liberated! What kind of freedom can there be when a woman can not walk down the street without every aspect of her physical self being “checked out”?

When I wear the hijab I feel safe from all of this. I can rest assured that no one is looking at me and making assumptions about my character from the length of my skirt. There is a barrier between me and those who would exploit me. I am first and foremost a human being, equal to any man, and not vulnerable because of my sexuality.

One of the saddest truths of our time is the question of the beauty myth and female self-image. Reading popular teenage magazines, you can instantly find out what kind of body image is “in” or “out.” and if you have the “wrong” body type, well, then, you’re just going to have to change it, aren’t you? After all, there is no way that you can be overweight and still be beautiful.

Look at any advertisement. Is a woman being used to sell the product? How old is she? How attractive is she? What is she wearing? More often than not, that woman will be no older than her early 20s, taller, slimmer and more attractive than average, dressed in skimpy clothing. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated like this?

Whether the 90s woman wishes to believe it or not, she is being forced into a mold. She is being coerced into selling herself, into compromising herself. This is why we have 13-year-old girls sticking their fingers down their throats and overweight adolescents hanging themselves.

When people ask me if I feel oppressed, I can honestly say no. I made this decision out of my own free will. I like the fact that I am taking control of the way other people perceive me. I enjoy the fact that I don’t give anyone anything to look at and that I have released myself from the bondage of the swinging pendulum of the fashion industry and other institutions that exploit females.

My body is my own business. Nobody can tell me how I should look or whether or not I am beautiful. I know that there is more to me than that. I am also able to say “no” comfortably when people ask me if I feel as though my sexuality is being repressed. I have taken control of my sexuality. I am thankful I will never have to suffer the fate of trying to lose/gain weight or trying to find the exact lipstick shade that will go with my skin color. I have made choices about what my priorities are and these are not among them.

So next time you see me, don’t look at me sympathetically. I am not under duress or a male-worshipping female captive from those barbarous Arabic deserts! I’ve been liberated.
By Sultana Yusufali

Somebody is talking sense.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by valdovas(m): 7:40am On Oct 13, 2015
Hijab women turn me on smiley
I love their decency.
Re: Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed by parisbookaddict(f): 1:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
bashbabe2:

By Sultana Yusufali

U mualimahs keep making one mistake about the hijab issue.. the wearing of ur hijab is ur own business but the act of forcing women to wear it as it is done in most Islamic countries is VERY OPPRESSIVE.

A lot of muslim women toss their hijab in a dustbin as soon as they migrate to the west.. most anti-hijab champions are ex muslim women...

The hijab can be a pretty accessory to clothing just like a scarf or muffler..but forcing women to wear it as muslim fathers and husbands force their female kins to do is stupid wicked misogynistic and primitive. This has lead to harsher clothing for muslim women the moat controversial being the burka..

Arab women living in islamic countries aare forced to wear it irrespective of their religion...

And yes u are right about the terrorism dangers posed of wearing the hijab and burka.. islamist terrorists have been to hid weapons and bombs under them

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tears: Ex-Muslim Turned Christian Apologist, Nabeel Qureshi, Is Gone! / Jesus Was A Drunkard. Yes, He Confessed. / Deeper Life Church Pastor Wins A Car In Heineken ‘drink And Win’ Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.