Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser (2389 Views)

Forgery Trial: Buhari Threatened Impeachment / Nigeria Is Being Threatened - Chief Of Army Staff Buratai / The Sandra Bland Story: Killed For Defending The Blacks Race In America (videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2015
All of these cases, Trayvon Martin, Earl Garner, Mike Brown, the Charleston Massacre, our sister Sandra and so very many more tell us one thing very clearly and that is that Black people--whether man, woman or child--whether in church, in their home, in their car, walking down the street, simply existing, are not safe in America. This is the reality for Black people in the United States. And no amount of forgiveness, of singing songs, of prayer, of ignoring the ugly realities of race changes this.

According to newly released police video, a Texas trooper threatened Sandra Bland with a Taser when he ordered her out of her vehicle during a traffic stop on July 10, three days before she was found dead in a county jail.

Bland — a 28-year old African American woman — was stopped for failing to signal while changing lanes, but the routine traffic stop turned confrontational after the officer, Brian Encinia, ordered Bland to put out her cigarette.

“Would you mind putting out your cigarette, please?” Encinia said.

“I’m in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?” Bland answered.

“Well, you can step on out now,” Encinia said.

Bland refused, saying she did not have to step out of the car.

[A trooper arrested Sandra Bland after she refused to put out a cigarette. Was it legal?]

Encinia opened the driver’s door and attempted to physically remove Bland from the vehicle.

“I’m going to yank you out of here,” Encinia said as the two struggled in the car. “I’m going to drag you out of here.”

“Don’t touch me, I’m not under arrest,” Bland said.

“I will light you up!” Encinia said, while pointing the Taser at Bland.

State Sen. Royce West (D) said that after viewing the video, he could confirm that Bland was threatened with a Taser by the officer.

Details of the confrontation were not included in the arrest warrant written by Encinia, which officials released Tuesday, 11 days after the arrest — and eight days after Bland’s death in the Waller County Jail.
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by baralatie(m): 5:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
so Sandra literarily was aggressive to an officer on duty!
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by omololu2020(m): 6:02pm On Jul 23, 2015
Ko kan aye,,,dos african american are also racist to african migrants too

6 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by HiGod: 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
African Americans deserve all the inhuman treatment; they are terrible people.

They are even worst than white people when it comes to racism. They treat Africans as if they have got another skin apart from the same black skin.

They talk down on African people.

I am really happy at the rate they are being killed.

Useless people...

4 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
baralatie:
so Sandra literarily was aggressive to an officer on duty!

No she was NOT aggressive to the officer. She was annoyed you can be annoyed to a police officer. The Police does not have the right to tell you to put out a cigarette in your own car. There was absolutely NO justification for the police officer to pull our fellow African out of her car and assault her. I tell my family who believe that African Americans are always causing trouble, that they are the only ones here in America who speak up. Alot of us Africans are scared to say anything because we fear America's reprisals. She did not deserve to die thats all

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 6:17pm On Jul 23, 2015
omololu2020:
Ko kan aye,,,dos african american are also racist to african migrants too

I grew up in the States its not true, yes there is tension but that is on both sides Africans don't associate with them African Americans have their own culture and want to keep it that way.
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 6:25pm On Jul 23, 2015
HiGod:

They are even worst than white people when it comes to racism. They treat Africans as if they have got another skin apart from the same black skin.

Useless people...

Are you serious, do you hear yourself you are talking about people who are mainly " Nigerian " who were kidnapped years ago. How can they be useless when they have done sooo much for that country. The technological advances in America have come from the descendants of slaves off of our shores. Don't let the media fool you into thinking that they are useless, there are over 113 Black Colleges started by them in America. There are many doctors, lawyers, Engineers and teachers there that are African American. They don't tell you this, all we see are rap videos. What happens over there affects Nigerians back home and Africans abroad we all should care. Until we care about all Black People Africans globally will not be united and not be successful.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by baralatie(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2015
Iwiyisi:

No she was NOT aggressive to the officer. She was annoyed you can be annoyed to a police officer. The Police does not have the right to tell you to put out a cigarette in your own car. There was absolutely NO justification for the police officer to pull our fellow African out of her car and assault her. I tell my family who believe that African Americans are always causing trouble, that they are the only ones here in America who speak up. Alot of us Africans are scared to say anything because we fear America's reprisals. She did not deserve to die thats all
I totally agree to the statement that she does not have to die!
but I am against her actions against officer on duty who only said "can you put off you cigar" and it became a legal issue!
that is not been diplomatic at all!

let us look at it this way" imagine the officer flagged her down.she parked and puts off her cigarette before even the officer comes round.
the officer comes and the she says "hello officer!,you look like one guy that can make a hot lady pull over,how is going"
(what do you think will be the atmosphere).
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
Iwiyisi:

Are you serious, do you hear yourself you are talking about people who are mainly " Nigerian " who were kidnapped years ago. How can they be useless when they have done sooo much for that country. The technological advances in America have come from the descendants of slaves off of our shores. Don't let the media fool you into thinking that they are useless, there are over 113 Black Colleges started by them in America. There are many doctors, lawyers, Engineers and teachers there that are African American. They don't tell you this, all we see are rap videos. What happens over there affects Nigerians back home and Africans abroad we all should care. Until we care about all Black People Africans globally will not be united and not be successful.

i have done some reading on the struggles of african americans after emancipation in their struggle for equality between whites and blacks and i feel we afrocans should be grateful for them because they suffered and died to challenge racism. if not for them blacks wouldnt be able to live freely, test clothes before they buy them because whites will not buy clothes worn by blacks. blacks would have to draw their foot size on cardboard then take it to the store to buy shoes. even in a bus blacks will jave to get up for a white to sit or even get down from the bus if it was too crowded with blacks. africans should really support them and put pressure on their govt to protect them.
#BlackLivesMatter

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 6:41pm On Jul 23, 2015
The worst part is that fellow black "AA" are quick to lead the way when Africans are getting railroaded.

Really sad, but I'm more worried about Africans whose rights are almost suppressed in America and do not have anyone to stand for them. Most don't even know their rights or if they have any. Complicated justice system, where the law written in books don't really mean what it says but, who can argue it the best or twist it out to the smoothest talking point memo, which means the best lawyer money can buy.

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
baralatie:

I totally agree to the statement that she does not have to die!
but I am against her actions against officer on duty who only said "can you put off you cigar" and it became a legal issue!
that is not been diplomatic at all!

let us look at it this way" imagine the officer flagged her down.she parked and puts off her cigarette before even the officer comes round.
the officer comes and the she says "hello officer!,you look like one guy that can make a hot lady pull over,how is going"
(what do you think will be the atmosphere).

My felo Bruda, it doesn't work that way in America police officers are not friendly to African Americans. They are friendly to Africans because they think you will be obedient to them. Plus your accent they know that you will not call them out if they hurt you.The Police will do anything they want to African Americans because they fear their voice and they want to silence them. She was in a vehicle that she owns and has the right as a citizen to smoke a cigarette. The Police man could have stepped back, there was absolutely NO probable cause to beat her up. I will say this her dignity means more to her than her life and the police officer beat the dignity out of her. Remember they killed a Nigerian in a jail cell in Savannah Georgia. Its not just Black Americans its us to getting the worst treatment
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by HiGod: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2015
Iwiyisi:

No my friend, u need to see how these African Americans treat Africans.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
HiGod:

No my friend, u need to see how these African Americans treat Africans.

I live in America, I've been treated warmly and poorly. I have been treated warmly alot more than poorly. The ones that harbor ill treatment to Africans are so culturally damaged that they hate everyone. That is due to the lack of jobs and resources, BUT go where African Americans have money and you will see a whole new side. They don't care who you are they care about working together when it comes to money. We fellow Africans don't understand their culture, first its American culture. BUT they added their own twist to it, they see themselves as Black and African but don't know how to acknowledge it. Some are scared to talk to Africans because they don't want to get ignored. Alot of my family members always talk about how they don't like us. BUT we Nigerians don't welcome them into our lives, same way with the Ghanains and the other African folks. So can you blame them if they are cold to us? what have we done to help or welcome them?
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
Do "african americans" support Africans in America? The answer is NO!

Whites are even more friendly and will treat you somewhat right, whether is pretense or something else. Every problem an African has encountered in America is orchestrated by an "african america", be it a workplace or others, there are just too many stories about that, the only place Africans can have peace of mind and enjoy working along side "AA" is where the latter are outnumbered.

You "AA" paid for your emancipation, You didn't pay for African immigrants. African immigrants are still fighting for their rights, because their constitutional and civil rights are violated daily with no recourse, and because they don't believe having lawyers on speed dial and work to pay lawyers, they allow many out of this world craziest false charges that even some lawyers say they have never heard or seen before against them to slide.

Keep up your struggle, our struggle is different from yours. You atleast know your rights, Africans are still trying to figure out theirs cos we are treated differently.

sexybaby22:

i have done some reading on the struggles of african americans after emancipation in their struggle for equality between whites and blacks and i feel we afrocans should be grateful for them because they suffered and died to challenge racism. if not for them blacks wouldnt be able to live freely, test clothes before they buy them. even in a bus blacks will jave to get up for a white to sit. africans should really support them and put pressure on their govt to protect them.
#BlackLivesMatter

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by baralatie(m): 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2015
My felo Bruda, it doesn't work that way in America police officers are not friendly to African Americans.

They are friendly to Africans because they think you will be obedient to them. (spirit due corp)

Plus your accent they know that you will not call them out if they hurt you.

The Police will do anything they want to African Americans because they fear their voice and they want to silence them. (racial war)

She was in a vehicle that she owns and has the right as a citizen to smoke a cigarette. (did she break any offence at the slightest)

The Police man could have stepped back,
(was their any attempt to douse the tension by either parties).

there was absolutely NO probable cause to beat her up. (true)

I will say this her dignity means more to her than her life
(was her death a dying wish or to manage the scenario)

and the police officer beat the dignity out of her
(police brutality)

Remember they killed a Nigerian in a jail cell in Savannah Georgia.(if start counting how many Nigerians are been killed, you will thank God for afro americans)

Its not just Black Americans its us to getting the worst treatment(you want to guess)

what I am saying is this she did not need to put herself in that scenario because of a "cigarette".
a cigarette is the most insignificant of things in this race discrimination issue to be called out for.
we have hospital treatment discrepancies,job selections etc and she got into an ego fight over a "cigar"

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2015
wytecat:
Do "african americans" support Africans in America? The answer is NO!

Whites are even more friendly and will treat you somewhat right, whether is pretense or something else. Every problem an African has encountered in America is orchestrated by an "african america", be it a workplace or others, there are just too many stories about that, the only place Africans can have peace of mind and enjoy working along side "AA" is where they are outnumbered.

You "AA" paid for your emancipation, You didn't pay for African immigrants. African immigrants are still fighting for their rights, because their constitutional and civil rights are violated daily with no recourse, and because they don't believe having lawyers on speed dial and work to pay lawyers, they allow many out of this world craziest false charges that even some lawyers say they have never heard or seen before against them to slide.

Keep up your struggle, our struggle is different from yours. You atleast know your rights, Africans are still trying to figure out theirs cos we are treated differently.

You are wrong, African Americans spoke up for Amadou Diallo, they spoke up for 22yr old Nigerian college student Matthew Ajibade who was recently killed. Whites are NOT friendly to Africans, they know you don't know your rights and that you will take less money and do the worst jobs with no benefits. Look if you don't like "AA" fine BUT just remember the ones who are fighting in America there fighting for the rights of all Africans in America including Nigerians.

First of all I'm both "A" and "AA" but if Africans continue to act indifferent its them who will be left behind. What is funny is that I've been in America my whole life and have not had any issues in the work place with "AA". I went to college with them, I've been to their homes I don't see how Naija can be so cruel to them. Africans struggle in America is the same as theirs, Africans get discriminated in the workplace they don't get jobs because of their last names. We have to stop this fight between us, thats all im saying. I see Black Americans fighting for themselves in America and over the world. I rarely see us doing it anywhere
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 7:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
If you believe this, then you have NOT been around "African Americans" at all, in fact, you don't know them!

Iwiyisi:

I grew up in the States its not true, yes there is tension but that is on both sides Africans don't associate with them African Americans have their own culture and want to keep it that way.
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 7:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
wytecat:
If you believe this, then you have NOT been around "African Americans" at all, in fact, you don't know them!

Both sides are to blame, African Americans some of them hate the fact that they are African, others acknowledge being African and some are proud to be African. They are like most Americans, if you can do something for them then they will like you if not " Get Lost " as they would say. As for Africans my family included, they don't want to be around "AA"s because they think they are trouble. They think all "AA" are lazy and stupid. BUT when they go to the colleges they see alot of "AA" when they need government assistance they seek "AA". When they go to the local food shelters its the "AA"s who are helping out the Africans. When they are having trouble in their communities its the "AA"s who speak up not Africans.

Both sides are wrong, "AA" don't like being African and Africans think "AA" don't like them both are not true. Both don't know each other

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 7:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
Who are the people that spoke for Amadou Diallo and in what capacity? They added Ajibade to already existing cases to make it look good politically for numeral advantage.

You have to be an "AA" to hold this view, cos no African would agree with you, and it's ok for you to protect your side but this is the fact. It's a known fact that "AA" discriminate against Africans and we find easy to hang around whites than you cos of your inferiority complex you flag at every turn.

You are fighting for yourselves only and not for Africans, you are just too selfish to fight for anyone that doesn't speak like you. If what is happening all over the country is in African communities, you lot would have kept quiet unless there is money to share.
You cause Africans problems where none should be. If you want a brother, you have to be one first.

You are not an African, just be proud of who you are.

Iwiyisi:

You are wrong, African Americans spoke up for Amadou Diallo, they spoke up for 22yr old Nigerian college student Matthew Ajibade who was recently killed. Whites are NOT friendly to Africans, they know you don't know your rights and that you will take less money and do the worst jobs with no benefits. Look if you don't like "AA" fine BUT just remember the ones who are fighting in America there fighting for the rights of all Africans in America including Nigerians.

First of all I'm both "A" and "AA" but if Africans continue to act indifferent its them who will be left behind. What is funny is that I've been in America my whole life and have not had any issues in the work place with "AA". I went to college with them, I've been to their homes I don't see how Naija can be so cruel to them. Africans struggle in America is the same as theirs, Africans get discriminated in the workplace they don't get jobs because of their last names. We have to stop this fight between us, thats all im saying. I see Black Americans fighting for themselves in America and over the world. I rarely see us doing it anywhere
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Fleshly: 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
HiGod:

Useless people...

Though I hate the way you classified African Americans, I still think you are right about the bigotry that exists between African Americans.
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 8:03pm On Jul 23, 2015
wytecat:
Who are the people that spoke for Amadou Diallo and in what capacity? They added Ajibade to already existing cases to make it look good politically for numeral advantage.

You have to be an "AA" to hold this view, cos no African would agree with you, and it's ok for you to protect your side but this is the fact. It's a known fact that "AA" discriminate against Africans and we find easy to hang around whites than you cos of your inferiority complex you flag at every turn.

You are fighting for yourselves only and not for Africans, you are just too selfish to fight for anyone that doesn't speak like you. If what is happening all over the country is in African communities, you lot would have kept quiet unless there is money to share.

You are not an African, just be proud of who you are.

How can I not be " African "? Its this view that many Africans my family included place upon "AA"s. Just because I'm a second generation Nigerian doesn't make me any less " African ". I was there when Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, KRS-ONE, Chuck D and many Pastors and Social Activist spoke up for Amadou Diallo. Where was the Guinea community that was his support base NO one absolutely NO one spoke up for that young man. Abijade the " AA "s in Savannah GA damn near rioted trying to get his death case reopened. Those were "AA"s not Africans, You honestly think if Africans were being beaten that "AA"s wouldn't care your wrong. Who spoke up for Deng Manyuon, who was shot and killed by a police officer in Louisville KY. He was Sudanese, it was "AA"s it where was South Sudan? where was Somalia? Nigeria? Where was the African Community? Exactly it was the "AA" who've been in America for centuries who built this country and know more about it than anyone fighting for this African.

Most " AA " do not care who you hang around with even if they are white. They know (whites) alot more than Africans do so maybe when Africans learn who there true mortal enemy is then they would wake up. IF we were only fighting for ourselves the Civil Rights act that MLK ushered wouldn't help you? How bout Brown vs Board of Education, How bout The Affordable Care Act? helps everyone Africans included.

Look you can either be "BITTER" or "PROACTIVE" Me I would rather help both sides. BUT if you want to sling mud and be an Angry African then you are on your own. And we Africans need to get over ourselves, "AA"s are saying either you are with us or against us. which is it going to be?

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 8:13pm On Jul 23, 2015
Fleshly:

Though I hate the way you classified African Americans, I still think you are right about the bigotry that exists between African Americans.

Explain to me what you are saying? If many Africans think its only African Americans who are being disrespectful to them then Africans are wrong. Its both sides that are guilty
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2015
You are only feeding people who haven't been to america this hogwash. Show me what those you mentioned did for Africans if money wasn't involved.

No one needs to be bitter, the fact is out there for everyone to see. My point is you "AA" are worse to Africans in America and no amount of your gloss crusade will cover it up. You think Africans are stuppidd and that you could come here and lie when we live it everyday. Just do your thing, we know you and what you stand for. The only reason you are now pro Africans is to give you a large number of people that have been killed by white and make it a race affair, when average African would do everything to avoid you in real life to stay away from trouble as any African that hangs around you ends up dying in some cases.

You built it but, others rule and lord over it, what an accomplishment
We know white our way, not with preconceived notion that you have allowed to hold you down
You didn't lay any foundation for Africans, we came to pay it with sweat and blood and our taxes.

Iwiyisi:

How can I not be " African "? Its this view that many Africans my family included place upon "AA"s. Just because I'm a second generation Nigerian doesn't make me any less " African ". I was there when Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, KRS-ONE, Chuck D and many Pastors and Social Activist spoke up for Amadou Diallo. Where was the Guinea community that was his support base NO one absolutely NO one spoke up for that young man. Abijade the " AA "s in Savannah GA damn near rioted trying to get his death case reopened. Those were "AA"s not Africans, You honestly think if Africans were being beaten that "AA"s wouldn't care your wrong. Who spoke up for Deng Manyuon, who was shot and killed by a police officer in Louisville KY. He was Sudanese, it was "AA"s it where was South Sudan? where was Somalia? Nigeria? Where was the African Community? Exactly it was the "AA" who've been in America for centuries who built this country and know more about it than anyone fighting for this African.

Most " AA " do not care who you hang around with even if they are white. They know (whites) alot more than Africans do so maybe when Africans learn who there true mortal enemy is then they would wake up. IF we were only fighting for ourselves the Civil Rights act that MLK ushered wouldn't help you? How bout Brown vs Board of Education, How bout The Affordable Care Act? helps everyone Africans included.

Look you can either be "BITTER" or "PROACTIVE" Me I would rather help both sides. BUT if you want to sling mud and be an Angry African then you are on your own. And we Africans need to get over ourselves, "AA"s are saying either you are with us or against us. which is it going to be?

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by Iwiyisi: 4:04am On Jul 24, 2015
wytecat:
You are only feeding people who haven't been to america this hogwash. Show me what those you mentioned did for Africans if money wasn't involved. No one needs to be bitter, the fact is out there for everyone to see. My point is you "AA" are worse to Africans in America and no amount of your gloss crusade will cover it up. You think Africans are stuppidd and that you could come here and lie when we live it everyday. Just do your thing, we know you and what you stand for. The only reason you are now pro Africans is to give you a large number of people that have been killed by white and make it a race affair, when average African would do everything to avoid you in real life to stay away from trouble as any African that hangs around you ends up dying in some cases.

We know white our way, not with preconceived notion that you have allowed to hold you down
You didn't lay any foundation for Africans, we came to pay it with sweat and blood and our taxes.

You know what its okay, I don't know why you have a beef with me I'm just trying to post news stories from CNN about what is going on in America. I've been called " Booty Scratcher " Bushman " Tar Baby " From African Americans and from Africans i've been called " Not African " Cotton Picker " Area Boy " Swamp Runner ". But with all that I've had more positive experiences from African Americans than negative ones. I am not bitter to them making fun of me for not wearing name brand clothes they were ignorant but many of them don't wear nice clothes.

Why would I say that Africans are stupid? Thats calling me stupid as well. Naija is the jewel of Africa we come over to America and earn more degrees than any race in this country. That is African Blood & SWEAT all over this country and you and I should be proud of it. As far as me being Pan African, its smart because the Black Dollar in America is starting to reach parts of Africa. AKON is lighting up parts of Africa, matter of fact he's doing More than these charity organizations who rob the continent of its wealth.

America is built on "Race" which is a competitive struggle between groups of people for the wealth and resources of that area. Whites used your brothers and sisters to build them a country for free. They created the idea of Race so they can team together to control the resources in Africa and America. That's what its all about brotha, I don't know why you are upset at a brotha who is trying to show love to fellow brothas across the big lake.

All I'm saying is that the same person you think is your friend was the same person that stormed into all African countries and colonized them the same way he did to the native americans and the natives in South America. African Americans struggle with the loss of their identity from birth, you and i are blessed to know who we are.

Its okay to not like "AA"s yes they are different but I love them, hell when I come back to visit my fathers family they love them too. So get on the boat and not be the " Angry African " smiley. I am not glossing over anything America is a very tough enviornment for anyone. If you come here you would see for yourself, yes you can make more money here. BUT the cost of living is high and hard to maintain, my family came here in 1964 escaping war and it took them years to get on their feet. BUT if it wasn't for Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Jesse Jackson it would have been much harder for any Black Person who would have come to America. You must thank your Anscestors who died to pave the way, if not then you are spitting on their graves. I'm sorry my friend I just love Africans period whether its African Americans, African Europeans or plain Africans ONE LUV @wytecat
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by HCGrad08: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
wytecat:
You are only feeding people who haven't been to america this hogwash. Show me what those you mentioned did for Africans if money wasn't involved.

No one needs to be bitter, the fact is out there for everyone to see. My point is you "AA" are worse to Africans in America and no amount of your gloss crusade will cover it up. You think Africans are stuppidd and that you could come here and lie when we live it everyday. Just do your thing, we know you and what you stand for. The only reason you are now pro Africans is to give you a large number of people that have been killed by white and make it a race affair, when average African would do everything to avoid you in real life to stay away from trouble as any African that hangs around you ends up dying in some cases.

You're wrong.

"Civil-rights icon Martin Luther King Jr., whose birthday is celebrated today, was a staunch believer of the pan-African movement, which was dedicated to gaining independence for African nations, and promoted unity of Black people worldwide, Whitaker said. As part of that ideology, King supported welcoming African immigrants to the U.S.

Opening the door for millions

The 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Lyndon Johnson, was largely inspired by the principles of the civil-rights movement, said Thomas J. Davis, an ASU history professor. In the first half of the 20th century, most immigrants came from Europe, he said. Before that, most of the Africans who came to the United States came as slaves.

"The act was seen as a way to end discrimination in the immigration system, as an issue of fundamental fairness," Davis said.

The act abolished a national quota system that allotted the vast majority of available visas to European immigrants and gave very few visas to immigrants from Asia and Africa. The act allowed immigrants to come to the U.S. based on their skills and family reunification instead of their country of origin, and therefore opened the door for larger numbers of immigrants to voluntarily come to the U.S. from Africa. It also set aside visas specifically for refugees."

Read more: http://archive.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2009/01/19/20090119obama-immigration0119.html#ixzz3h6doQ7q9

If it wasn't for African Americans and the Civil Rights movement, African Immigrants wouldn't have been able to immigrate, visit or work in the way that they can now. If you're not from here, some times it's hard to understand that the systems here are racial, not cultural. Meaning, being Nigerian does not protect you from instances that occur here.

That's all that I am going to say, because as an African American, frankly this discussion was very jarring and disheartening. I agree, there is ignorance on both sides that hinders our ability to connect. No, we are not the same culturally, but African Americans are Africans by blood. I have friends that are African (from Cameroon, Ghana, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Nigeria, Liberia, S. Africa, etc) African American, Caribbean (Haitian, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Bajan ), etc and we all see ourselves as black. Meaning African as well as products of our individual countries cultures. I'm in a relationship with a Nigerian man. We love each other and interact with each other with no malice (despite past interactions or misconceptions that we have had) because we have constructive conversations with each other. You cannot base your thoughts about an entire culture on some people that you may have met or encounters that you may have had.

However, it's up to you to decide what you want to do. You can be glad that my people are being murdered, that's on you. I won't wish the same on you. Please excuse any typos that I have here, I need to go back to studying for an exam, so I won't take the time to proofread. Good day.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by BWOH2D: 5:34am On Aug 02, 2015
One of the tenets of White Supremacy is to divide and conquer and you will find a colonial mentality amongst many brothers and sisters in Africa. Many are very ignorant about America, its practices and American history and many of us (Native Blacks in America) are ignorant to the effects of colonialism in Africa and the effects of slavery and jim crow on Africans in America. Done intentionally to keep us at odds. People need to understand what happened to our psyches. However, I do see MORE of an effort on Black Americans in their efforts in reaching back, I have lately seen MORE efforts amongst other Black immigrants in America joining in on the issues too! We're slowly but surely getting it, many of us at least. When you come to America, it's a whhoollleee different beast family, whole different beast.

The issues in many African countries ties directly to White Supremacy. Dr. Frantz Fanon talks a lot about this actually

A common proverb amongst Whites about Blacks [globally] is that if you want to hide something from a Black person, put it in a book. Y'all need to READ. Youtube is free, look up information.

Much love y'all @ the sista who talked about the immigration and nationality act, don't take it personally, just understand we're dealing with damaged people. Par for the course my sista. Iwiyisi, big ups sista for standing your ground, much love.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
This is one garbage I'm not going to spend my time reading. Find some foools that don't know anything and keep them busy.

HCGrad08:

You're wrong.

"Civil-rights icon Martin Luther King Jr., whose birthday is celebrated today, was a staunch believer of the pan-African movement, which was dedicated to gaining independence for African nations, and promoted unity of Black people worldwide, Whitaker said. As part of that ideology, King supported welcoming African immigrants to the U.S.

Opening the door for millions

The 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Lyndon Johnson, was largely inspired by the principles of the civil-rights movement, said Thomas J. Davis, an ASU history professor. In the first half of the 20th century, most immigrants came from Europe, he said. Before that, most of the Africans who came to the United States came as slaves.

"The act was seen as a way to end discrimination in the immigration system, as an issue of fundamental fairness," Davis said.

The act abolished a national quota system that allotted the vast majority of available visas to European immigrants and gave very few visas to immigrants from Asia and Africa. The act allowed immigrants to come to the U.S. based on their skills and family reunification instead of their country of origin, and therefore opened the door for larger numbers of immigrants to voluntarily come to the U.S. from Africa. It also set aside visas specifically for refugees."

Read more: http://archive.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2009/01/19/20090119obama-immigration0119.html#ixzz3h6doQ7q9

If it wasn't for African Americans and the Civil Rights movement, African Immigrants wouldn't have been able to immigrate, visit or work in the way that they can now. If you're not from here, some times it's hard to understand that the systems here are racial, not cultural. Meaning, being Nigerian does not protect you from instances that occur here.

That's all that I am going to say, because as an African American, frankly this discussion was very jarring and disheartening. I agree, there is ignorance on both sides that hinders our ability to connect. No, we are not the same culturally, but African Americans are Africans by blood. I have friends that are African (from Cameroon, Ghana, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Nigeria, Liberia, S. Africa, etc) African American, Caribbean (Haitian, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Bajan ), etc and we all see ourselves as black. Meaning African as well as products of our individual countries cultures. I'm in a relationship with a Nigerian man. We love each other and interact with each other with no malice (despite past interactions or misconceptions that we have had) because we have constructive conversations with each other. You cannot base your thoughts about an entire culture on some people that you may have met or encounters that you may have had.

However, it's up to you to decide what you want to do. You can be glad that my people are being murdered, that's on you. I won't wish the same on you. Please excuse any typos that I have here, I need to go back to studying for an exam, so I won't take the time to proofread. Good day.

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by HCGrad08: 4:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
wytecat:
This is one garbage I'm not going to spend my time reading. Find some foools that don't know anything and keep them busy.

The fact that you won't take the time to read something shows the type of fool that you are sweetheart.
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by WilyWily: 5:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
Someone, your father sold his father into Slavery don't need to love you.

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2015
You are the fooool of foools to think I will read your shhiiitt, iddiott!
HCGrad08:

The fact that you won't take the time to read something shows the type of fool that you are sweetheart.

1 Like

Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by HCGrad08: 1:54pm On Aug 20, 2015
wytecat:
You are the fooool of foools to think I will read your shhiiitt, iddiott!

Yes, my point still stands as evidenced by your response sweetheart. :-)
Re: I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser by wytecat: 5:32am On Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for acting out what I said about you. Mine still stands too as you can see from your post!

HCGrad08:

Yes, my point still stands as evidenced by your response sweetheart. :-)

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have Seen The Light...returning To The Progressives. / Osinbajo Insulted By El Rufai, Walks Out On President Buhari (DETAILS) / ABUJA: 4 Ministerial Nominees That May Be Screen-out By The Senate – SPY NIGERIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.