Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,116 members, 7,953,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:05 PM

How To Get Jobs In Canada - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Get Jobs In Canada (65848 Views)

"There Are No Jobs In Dubai, Nigerians Don't Be Deceived" (Photos/video) / How To Get Jobs In USA / My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by noblealuu: 12:05pm On Feb 28, 2016
princey83:

For pharmacist, all exams are written in canada and it takes most geniuses around 2 years to study and successfully write most of the exams. The exams are tough for pharms as I have friends with MSc in pharm related courses from different countries in the world still struggling to pass some of the exams.. I know it's tough for nurses and doctors too, took my doctor friend 4 years and he had to travel to a remote location in Saskatchewan to get it done in 4 years. I am sure Saxywale's wife is a pharmacist. Maybe he can contribute more to this topic.

Hmm, what kind of job would a med professional do in the interim upon migrating to Canada pending when these professional exams would be passed?

I then wonder the kind of curriculae these people operate with that leave such vacuum to people from 3rd world countries
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by kife(m): 1:59pm On Feb 28, 2016
[quote author=princey83 post=43315673]
Alot of things has changed my friend, CEC has been cancelled( we hope liberal party brings it back), the economy is down and the landscape labourer job is almost impossible to find nowadays as Alberta economy is in a recession due to oil price, and it is dragging other provinces down with it e.g Sask and I believe Nova Scotia and some other Eastern provinces, since alot of people come to work in Alberta to support their family back home in the east. Normally, people run away from such jobs but nowadays, people would take any job. In as much as everything the person you quoted said was right, but you can also judge the amount of work he did to raise the money just for one term. What if he or she had no family member to support with the other two terms ??

Mind you, most common jobs available for students are still minimum wage job were you would even be lucky to get 30 hours a week during summer holidays. The young fella that wrote that up there was just lucky to even get that job (when the economy was buoyant) that afforded him the opportunity to raise that kind of money.

In addition to what justwise n saxywale@gmail said, a student can only work 20hours a week during school term usually minimum wage. That money would only be "chop" money.

Best bet is to search for schools with coop options, and of course, you would still need support from home or wherever as coop would just make life a little easy and pay more than minimum wage, but also have in mind that coop jobs are not guaranteed by the schools.

Tnks alot Princy.
In summary one needs to source funds and finish the academic program b4 one can truly expect to earn good moni.
Let him hop his faith meets with Goodluck.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Caleycash(m): 11:21am On Feb 29, 2016
benjibabs:

Correct, study visa has limited working hours. No, there is nothing like conversion of visa. To work full time, you have to be either a permanent resident or a citizen and that will take you back to the immigration process.

you er passing a wrong info, you can convert your visa after studying and having a Canadian work experience that's if your working and studying... it's obviously difficult to attain, give it a shot if your capable
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Getbizzzy: 2:48pm On Mar 01, 2016
What re the chances of builders like iron benders, carpenters in Canada?
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 2:29am On Mar 02, 2016
Getbizzzy:
What re the chances of builders like iron benders, carpenters in Canada?
There chances are very bright if you have a journeyman ticket. They make lots of money, and usually not out of jobs. Add plumbing to the mix.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Getbizzzy: 3:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
princey83:

There chances are very bright if you have a journeyman ticket. They make lots of money, and usually not out of jobs. Add plumbing to the mix.

"Journeyman ticket" pls how do one get it or getting started

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by kife(m): 3:49pm On Mar 02, 2016
For all who are actively in the Canadian Labor market.
There has been an unverified speculations of "economic depression " hitting Canada.
May say it's no longer very lucrative to relcoate to Canada with ideas of earning good income.
Kindly address this for people who work actively in Canada.
Are these speculations correct?
Has Canada joined the list of "pls don't come "
Thanks all.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by nwosu1988: 4:11pm On Mar 02, 2016
I love this room. please I studied business management in school do I also have good chance like the skilled workers, I'm in selling, and good customer relation.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by harlyon(m): 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2016
As a student in canada, u will make good money along side your studies.if you are a musician ie if u can play musical instruments,,,churches pay good money...I can attest to that..
There's demand for musicians

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 5:00am On Mar 30, 2016
Caleycash:
you er passing a wrong info, you can convert your visa after studying and having a Canadian work experience that's if your working and studying... it's obviously difficult to attain, give it a shot if your capable

Can you please post a link to where you got your info from? I'm particularly interested in the portion where you walk into a Canadian immigration office with a study visa and walk out with a permanent resident visa.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by nicerichard05: 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2016
Pls house, how easy Is it to get a job in canada whether skilled or unskilled? Ur urgent response is needed. Thanks
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by ifegy: 12:39am On Mar 31, 2016
benjibabs:

Can you please post a link to where you got your info from? I'm particularly interested in the portion where you walk into a Canadian immigration office with a study visa and walk out with a permanent resident visa.

Not a permanent resident visa. You apply for a work permit, and then for a PR. Go to cic.gc.ca for information on studying and immigrating. Students can take advantage of the ability to work and build on that to become permanent residents.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by ifegy: 12:41am On Mar 31, 2016
nicerichard05:
Pls house, how easy Is it to get a job in canada whether skilled or unskilled? Ur urgent response is needed. Thanks

You need a work permit. You can come as a student- you are allowed to work- and then build on that to immigrate eventually. https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9

You can apply directly to immigrate if you qualify for the different categories.
https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by nicerichard05: 1:17am On Mar 31, 2016
ifegy:

You need a work permit. You can come as a student- you are allowed to work- and then build on that to immigrate eventually. https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9

You can apply directly to immigrate if you qualify for the different categories.
https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Thanks for ur response, with d work permit how easy it is to get a job? Are jobs scarce or u can easily get one nd earn moni to keep u gng
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by ttmacoy: 1:40am On Mar 31, 2016
I still don't get why we always come up with my friend when asking for advice despite the fact everyone knows it's the OP asking.

Anyway you have received some good advice here. Please do not go to Canada to be an illegal immigrants. It's a stressful life with lot of limitations.

Afam4eva:

This Federal Skilled Work program has always tickled my fancy but when I researched about it, the application sounded long and enduring and it seems there is an atom of luck in it.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 6:02am On Mar 31, 2016
ttmacoy:
I still don't get why we always come up with my friend when asking for advice despite the fact everyone knows it's the OP asking.

Anyway you have received some good advice here. Please do not go to Canada to be an illegal immigrants. It's a stressful life with lot of limitations.

I believe no one would be interested in becoming an illegal immigrant in this time and age.

kife:
For all who are actively in the Canadian Labor market.
There has been an unverified speculations of "economic depression " hitting Canada.
May say it's no longer very lucrative to relcoate to Canada with ideas of earning good income.
Kindly address this for people who work actively in Canada.
Are these speculations correct?
Has Canada joined the list of "pls don't come "
Thanks all.
Yes, the economy is pretty bad at the moment due to the fall in oil price, and other natural resources. Canada unlike Norway did not save for the rainy days, and has an economic that heavily depends on the extraction industry.. Canada's oil is also one of the most expensive to oil to extract in the world so a little change in oil price affects the whole economy. Obama also vetoed the keystone pipeline to convey oil to US. The new liberal government sustainable environment policy is also not helping. Hopefully, the price of oil would bounce back as always.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 31, 2016
Caleycash:
I think the word conversion was used wrongly. i believe you meant applying for a different category of visa. An international grad could apply to the express entry program or apply for a provincial nomination program offered in some provinces. I know Sask and Manitoba have the most favourable for students, very competitive though since they make use of quota.

noblealuu:

Hmm, what kind of job would a med professional do in the interim upon migrating to Canada pending when these professional exams would be passed?

I then wonder the kind of curriculae these people operate with that leave such vacuum to people from 3rd world countries
Pharm assistant, medical lab assistant, physio assistant, medical equipment sterilization technician, research assistant , dental assistant, nursing assistant, care assistant, daycare assistant e.t.c. note: All these assistant jobs still usually require 3-5 months training as prerequisite for employment, but employers would not mind hiring a foreign trained med professional for these jobs. once the exams are passed, then you start making good money.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 6:14am On Mar 31, 2016
nicerichard05:
very easy to get unskilled job. if you have the right visa, jobs like retail, fast-food, customer service, call centre, land scaping, factory e.t.c are very easy to get. Note: these types of jobs are difficult to get in some other developed countries.

Skilled jobs are competitive and requires alot of hard work to get. starting from your style of resume, to uour education and where you got it from, previous work experience and where you got it from, references, e.t.c would be considered.

harlyon:
As a student in canada, u will make good money along side your studies.if you are a musician ie if u can play musical instruments,,,churches pay good money...I can attest to that..
There's demand for musicians
This could be true. alot of religious centres in Canada do not have instrumentalists.lol
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 6:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Getbizzzy:

"Journeyman ticket" pls how do one get it or getting started
A person who has completed the traditional live-in apprenticeship could be considered a journeyman, as could someone who is educated in their field and has passed a board-certified test.
In the United States and Canada, employment in some building trades, such as an electrician, plumber, machinist, HVAC contractor e.t.c usually requires that a person holds a state/provincial or local (city or county) license as a journeyman. The journeyman license certifies that the craftsman has met the requirements of time in the field (usually a minimum of 8,000 hours) and time in an approved classroom setting (usually 700 hours). A journeyman has the responsibility of supervising workers of lesser experience and training them, in addition to having the qualifications (knowledge and skills) to work unsupervised himself. A journeyman is commonly expected to have a wide range of experience, covering most fields of his trade. For example, a non journeyman worker of some 20 or 30 years' experience may have most or all of his experience in only residential, commercial or industrial applications. A journeyman however, has a broad field of experience in residential, commercial, and industrial applications.

If you have a city and guild, which is common in other parts of the world, you could sit for equivalency exams to get your license.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2016
ifegy:

Not a permanent resident visa. You apply for a work permit, and then for a PR. Go to cic.gc.ca for information on studying and immigrating. Students can take advantage of the ability to work and build on that to become permanent residents.

Exactly! you don't just get to Canada with student Visa and them request for it to be "converted" to PR. You still have to apply for work permit, get work, get required experience, then apply for PR. On the other hand, you can as well apply for PR from Nigeria; although if you come to CA with student visa, your PR journey will probably be shorter and easier so far you fulfilled all the requirements.

Best of lucky!

cool
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by qtx(m): 5:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
Wao, its really not easy strolling into a well structured country like canada as done in some other countries.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by SlowlybtSurely: 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
@qtx

That David Cohen eeehh. This is same email he forwards to anybody who contacts him regarding PR, all in a bid to rip people off their hard earned money. Why people hire him and pay a whooping $2,000, I have no idea.

There isn't much any agent or immigration lawyer will help you do. You will still have to do your IELTS, WES evaluation, PCC etc all by yourself. All they can do is help create an online profile for you, which can be done within 15 minutes by any post secondary school adult.

Tell your cousin to check his eligibility on the CIC website, then follow the steps stated there to package his application himself. There is also a thread here solely on PR application. He should join in.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by ouchechukwuo: 11:45am On Jun 04, 2016
Hello House, please I need you to advice me.

I'm working towards relocating to Canada.
I have nobody to stay with but I'm trusting God for breakthrough when I gets there.
I intend applying for IMM 1295F (Work permit made outside canada).
Please this question falls on those who have had Canada experience or knows much about the country.

1. Are there jobs for foreigners (that can sustain anyone and of course keep savings)?
2. What should be his BTA target (since I know nobody there to accommodate me for a while)?
3. Is it a good decision to make (leaving Nigeria for Canada without any work provision or accommodation availability?)
4. What kind of job should I be scouting for that can make things easier for him, as a graduate of electrical engineering with little or no work experience on electrical engineering? Presently I'm working with a Non governmental Organization/ MLM company (a Product officer)
5. Which of the cities should I be directing my plans to? e.g. Toronto, Ontario, Newfound land etc.

I'd be most grateful if these questions are made available
God bless you all

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by felix1985: 1:11pm On Sep 16, 2016
please house am intending to leave to Canada or Swaziland.
I will like to know wich is better for me.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by harlyon(m): 11:21am On Oct 12, 2016
felix1985:
please house am intending to leave to Canada or Swaziland.
I will like to know wich is better for me.

Swaziland ?? or you meant Switzerland
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:21am On Oct 13, 2016
harlyon:

Swaziland ?? or you meant Switzerland

He said Swaziland. A Nigerian tycoon operates his cargo airline from Swaziland. So no biggie.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by lymelyte(m): 2:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
So is it now safe to say USA is better than Canada in terms jobs and making money?

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by borntosuccess(m): 6:48pm On Oct 14, 2016
for me I think ur friend should first strive to secure a job in canada from here ,with d invitation which they give ,which is more of employment letter, he would now go to the Canadian embassy and use it to procure a work permit visa for himself, for it is only with a work permit visa that he can be allowed to work in canada, my 2 cents thou.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by maternal: 12:00am On Oct 15, 2016

I believe no one would be interested in becoming an illegal immigrant in this time and age.

Yes, the economy is pretty bad at the moment due to the fall in oil price, and other natural resources. Canada unlike Norway did not save for the rainy days, and has an economic that heavily depends on the extraction industry.. Canada's oil is also one of the most expensive to oil to extract in the world so a little change in oil price affects the whole economy. Obama also vetoed the keystone pipeline to convey oil to US. The new liberal government sustainable environment policy is also not helping. Hopefully, the price of oil would bounce back as always.

Everything you said is not true and misleading to be honest. Also you simply cannot compare Norway with Canada
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by sheypian(m): 12:38pm On Oct 21, 2016
Please whats the prospect of earning well as a musician and a s a foreigner?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Train Rams Into A Bus In Oshodi (Pics, Video) / Cotonou, Benin Republic / Tricycle Driver Gives His Keke Napep A Luxurious Design (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.