Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,192 members, 7,867,458 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:28 PM

I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari (766 Views)

Osinbajo Will Not Be Allowed To Replace Buhari In 2019 - Northern Elders Forum / "I Stand With Buhari" Rally Holds In Awka, Anambra Despite IPOB Threats (Pics) / Don’t Let Nigerian Businessmen Into My Meetings In The US, Buhari Warn Aides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by Ofodirinwa: 12:03am On Jul 26, 2015
While it may spark controversy like anything political, and so many seems steeply entrenched in the idea of support 'their guy' because at this point they have wagered too much of their pride into it, i would personally like to see Buhari allow business men to tour the world with him.

This has been the tradition on this continent for thousands of years, and must be continued by this continents leader because in recent times it has shown success. How can the world feel about a Nigeria that is the hottest economic topic of this decade having a government that seems to see business, commerce and partnership building as secondary to politics?

In the medieval era there was an empire in africa, reported to be the richest in the world and without question the richest and most powerful in the whole of west africa. It stood as the beacon for prosperity, islam, and balance in the entire subcontinent of west africa. When the world was unaware of it's greatest, it's most famous emperor took a pilgrimage to mecca that put his country on the maps and tongues of the entire globe. Read the following recollection of the journey through hundreds of cities and kingdoms on the way to Mecca.

Musa made his pilgrimage in 1324. His procession reportedly included 60,000 men, including 12,000 slaves who each carried four pounds of gold bars and heralds dressed in silks who bore gold staffs, organized horses, and handled bags. Musa provided all necessities for the procession, feeding the entire company of men and animals.[9] Those animals included 80 camels which each carried between 50 and 300 pounds of gold dust. Musa gave the gold to the poor he met along his route. Musa not only gave to the cities he passed on the way to Mecca, including Cairo and Medina, but also traded gold for souvenirs. It has been recorded that he built a mosque each and every Friday.

Without question, Mansa Musa was ready to trade and used the gravity of his presence to advance the business, religious, scientific and political prestige of his kingdom. To further illustrate the duality of the purpose in his travel is the following..

From the far reaches of the Mediterranean Sea to the Indus River, the faithful approached the city of Mecca. All had the same objective to worship together at the most sacred shrine of Islam, the Kaaba in Mecca. One such traveler was Mansa Musa, Sultan of Mali in Western Africa. Mansa Musa had prepared carefully for the long journey he and his attendants would take. He was determined to travel not only for his own religious fulfillment, but also for recruiting teachers and leaders, so that his realms could learn more of the Prophet's teachings.

–Mahmud Kati, Chronicle of the Seeker

Flash forward to today. In recent times, President Jonathan in his travels stocked his entourage with the best and the brightest that Nigeria has to offer in business. A fleet of billionaires that swept the nations of Kenya, South Africa, Germany and the US by storm as can be remembered below. The likes of Dangote, Elumelu, Adenuga, and more traveled with Jonathan and secured billions in trade deals. Their raising profile, aided by the governments partnership and friendship made them the talk of the world and from the Nigeria hosted the 2nd largest world trade conference in the history of man behind Davos, Switzerland. Bigger than the ones hosted by the UK, US, France, Japan and more.

Today we have people calling for the head of our central bank governor to roll because Jim Ovia went to the US at the same time as Buhari, while the likes of Tony Elumelu have to in-essence sneak in 'through the back door' by going to Kenya just to meet with President Obama. This is after hosting a bootcamp training 1000 african entrepreneurs and youths with no presence of mention of or from the president. PMB, I would like to personally see you follow in the footsteps of the African tradition and use your position as president to advance Nigeria as a dominate force in global business and trade.

1 Like

Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by ELTON123(m): 12:05am On Jul 26, 2015
Ok
Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by eyeview: 12:27am On Jul 26, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
While it may spark controversy like anything political, and so many seems steeply entrenched in the idea of support 'their guy' because at this point they have wagered too much of their pride into it, i would personally like to see Buhari allow business men to tour the world with him.

This has been the tradition on this continent for thousands of years, and must be continued by this continents leader because in recent times it has shown success. How can the world feel about a Nigeria that is the hottest economic topic of this decade having a government that seems to see business, commerce and partnership building as secondary to politics?

In the medieval era there was an empire in africa, reported to be the richest in the world and without question the richest and most powerful in the whole of west africa. It stood as the beacon for prosperity, islam, and balance in the entire subcontinent of west africa. When the world was unaware of it's greatest, it's most famous emperor took a pilgrimage to mecca that put his country on the maps and tongues of the entire globe. Read the following recollection of the journey through hundreds of cities and kingdoms on the way to Mecca.

Without question, Mansa Musa was ready to trade and used the gravity of his presence to advance the business, religious, scientific and political prestige of his kingdom. To further illustrate the duality of the purpose in his travel is the following..

Flash forward to today. In recent times, President Jonathan in his travels stocked his entourage with the best and the brightest that Nigeria has to offer in business. A fleet of billionaires that swept the nations of Kenya, South Africa, Germany and the US by storm as can be remembered below. The likes of Dangote, Elumelu, Adenuga, and more traveled with Jonathan and secured billions in trade deals. Their raising profile, aided by the governments partnership and friendship made them the talk of the world and from the Nigeria hosted the 2nd largest world trade conference in the history of man behind Davos, Switzerland. Bigger than the ones hosted by the UK, US, France, Japan and more.

Today we have people calling for the head of our central bank governor to roll because Jim Ovia went to the US at the same time as Buhari, while the likes of Tony Elumelu have to in-essence sneak in 'through the back door' by going to Kenya just to meet with President Obama. This is after hosting a bootcamp training 1000 african entrepreneurs and youths with no presence of mention of or from the president. PMB, I would like to personally see you follow in the footsteps of the African tradition and use your position as president to advance Nigeria as a dominate force in global business and trade.

May God bless you for this write-up. Infact, am thinking of doing a little write up themed "How not to attend a conference". Maybe I will take the time to carefully analyze this recent jamboree trip of buhari and friends viz-a-viz that of a purpose driven country like the asian tigers who usually set out with a set of clear political and economic targets from the host president/nation. And to achieve that,they arm themselves with the presence of their core local investors.
And sadly APC has turned everything into a party affair. When GEJ was in power,you will see a blend of technocrats,businessmen and politicians who cut across party divides. Some regular political faces that were usually seen in GEJ's economic trips included Peter Obi(APGA) of Anambra state, Fayemi(APC) of Ekiti and Godswill Akpabio(PDP). But today,the mentality of "its our turn to enjoy" of the APC is making them sacrifice effeciency on the altar of partisan politics. Some even used the opportunity to take their new brides on honeymoon to the white house on the tax payers' money.

I will stop here for now.

3 Likes

Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by Ofodirinwa: 1:08am On Jul 26, 2015
I don't think Adams Oshiomole, like him or not, has the profile and ability to influence that Dangote does. Rochas Okorocha has nothing to offer in relation building in comparison to Mike Adenuga. Why then is touring with these two accepted as wise and bringing Jim Ovia cause to sack the SBN governor, or as the media wanted us to believe, cheer for his public humiliation? I'm of the impression that we live in a business minded country, why shouldn't we have a business minded foreign engagement culture.

Oshiomole's new bride is an ok guest, but Jim Ovia is a state violation? That's not logical or strategic on PMB's part.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by Atlantian: 1:14am On Jul 26, 2015
Buhari is an illiterate my brother, he feels intimidated by the presence of those billionaires and in his mind, he feels any rich man must be a thief. Can Buhari generate employment by himself ? He is all about intimidating people and looking for how to repatriate funds, but has no clear plans on how to generate funds. At the moment, we have no Economic Team, No Economic Policy, No Ministers but witch-hunting is going on constantly. How did we make the mistake of putting an illiterate in power in 21st century ? Someone who does not know the meaning of "all inclusive government"; He really disgraced me. I felt ashame listening to his answers to interviews in US. When the ovation is over, we will see this buhari for what he truly is. An empty vessel.

2 Likes

Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by OPCNAIRALAND: 3:28am On Jul 26, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
I don't think Adams Oshiomole, like him or not, has the profile and ability to influence that Dangote does. Rochas Okorocha has nothing to offer in relation building in comparison to Mike Adenuga. Why then is touring with these two accepted as wise and bringing Jim Ovia cause to sack the SBN governor, or as the media wanted us to believe, cheer for his public humiliation? I'm of the impression that we live in a business minded country, why shouldn't we have a business minded foreign engagement culture.

Oshiomole's new bride is an ok guest, but Jim Ovia is a state violation? That's not logical or strategic on PMB's part.

You have a well presented argument but please put things in their proper order.

The President is not averse to the business community and Corporate leaders. Buhari is a sterling man who demands of himself same degree of self-respect and integrity that he demands of others. If you are not close enough to know this personally you can at least read it in his body language and remarks. He has said repeatedly he wants to keep a clean circle of influence devoid of stained integrity.

In other words, he wants to be seen with people whose virtue he can swear on. This is a very simple and laudable demand.

Jim Ovia's integrity has long been compromised and remains so till now. If a person shows up in a President's seating, there is high likelihood they will get a picture taken in a handshake or group photograph with the President. If its a involuntary and open meeting he doesnt have a say or control in it....but in a voluntary occassion where he is the host, he wants to filter that circle of acquaintances to those who are trustworthy.

So it is not Buhari's fault that Ovia's presence was questioned.....the circumstances that gave access to Ovia was not honourable.

If you study the class of his entourage on this trip you will notice that each of the governor is a representation from each of the geopolitical zones. What does that tell you?

This was a diplomatic meeting to recommit Nigeria's trust and promise in the international arena. This was not an economic market trip or meeting.

3 Likes

Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by Image123(m): 4:24am On Jul 26, 2015
This is a ridiculously myopic and ignorant thread. Tony Elumelu still posted recently on his Facebook page on his hectic week and how he was invited by the federal government and their trip to the US.
Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by babyfaceafrica: 8:51am On Jul 26, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

The President is not averse to the business community and Corporate leaders. Buhari is a sterling man who demands of himself same degree of self-respect and integrity that he demands of others. If you are not close enough to know this personally you can at least read it in his body language and remarks. He has said repeatedly he wants to keep a clean circle of influence devoid of stained integrity.

In other words, he wants to be seen with people whose virtue he can swear on. This is a very simple and laudable demand.

Jim Ovia's integrity has long been compromised and remains so till now. If a person shows up in a President's seating, there is high likelihood they will get a picture taken in a handshake or group photograph with the President. If its a involuntary and open meeting he doesnt have a say or control in it....but in a voluntary occassion where he is the host, he wants to filter that circle of acquaintances to those who are trustworthy.

So it is not Buhari's fault that Ovia's presence was questioned.....the circumstances that gave access to Ovia was not honourable.

If you study the class of his entourage on this trip you will notice that each of the governor is a representation from each of the geopolitical zones. What does that tell you?

This was a diplomatic meeting to recommit Nigeria's trust and promise in the international arena. This was not an economic market trip or meeting.

nice one bro...instead of people to criticize constructively,they will just open their mouth with reasoning..u ave said it all
Re: I Would Like To See Businessmen Allowed To Tour With Buhari by Ofodirinwa: 3:24am On Jul 27, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

In the international arena, business is more important than geopolitical zones.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Imo Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today Over Unpaid Salaries / Kaduna Begins Demolition Of Structures On Govt Land / Buhari Orders Reduction In 2016 Budget Expenditure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.