Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian (4499 Views)

Beautiful Lady Who Sells Groundnut To Raise Money For Her School Fees (Pics) / Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" / Things An Average Person Should Know Offhand... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 12:18pm On Jul 26, 2015
please take time to read this Before you start throwing stones please note that this is my own view of furthering to higher institutions.
I saw a post on FP where people are saying they will gladly take up the job of a cleaner for #50,000- 80,000 as a graduate and some saying they won't but will be happy to earn JUST #30,000 in their field of specialization because they will be able to improve.
I think it's a shame if a graduate in our nation will be jobless for months/years only to get a job of 50k after many years as a jobless graduate because they are not well connected and their parents are average Nigerian .
I think going to higher institution after secondary school is a waste of time and money. Let me use myself as an example. I finished secondary school in 2009 (6 years ago) and my parents can't sponsor me to further my education. I have no option than to start working.
I worked in factories and some cleaning company where we have graduates and undergraduates and we both earning same amount despite their education. And this ones will still spend their hard earned money on their schooling only to finish and be offered almost the same or even lower salaries than they earn in their undergraduate years.
Myself as an example, november 2013, I got employed as a labourer in a construction company and earning 9k (fixed) a week plus overtime like 2k (#11,000 weekly, #44,000 a month) compared to the #20,000 a month in the factory. Because of the huge difference in the factory and construction salary, I began to save #18,000 monthly and also had the chance to learn carpentry. In my 1st year I was able to save over #200,000 and I started a saloon + game centre (sango, ogun state)I employed a guy there while still continue the hustle on site and he delivers #7,000 a week due to the area.
After a year, I got promoted from a just a labourer to a carpenter with #15,000 (fixed) plus overtime from #4,000 to #7,000. So I earn close to or more than #20,000 a week, #80,000 a month. Am able to save #50,000 monthly plus #28,000 from the saloon business. Now that's #78,000 saving after spending monthly not including the new saloon that started 3 months ago. Now I have 2 saloons and also planning to get a passenger bus as well
To some this is still peanut but I thank God because am OK.
Now back to the topic. I think its high time we all accept the fact that schooling is not meant for everybody, i got all this within 2 years. Though I wasted some years in factories and cleaning companies but there is this young man that finished secondary school in 2013 and we both started working in the construction company same day and also both learned carpentry, now he is saving even more than me because he is still young.
He is able to save more than #75,000 a month just 2 years after he finished secondary school and I believe their are some of his classmates hustling to finish their university education now. In another year , I believe we will both be able to save over a #100,000 monthly (#1.2m) with increment of our wage and our other businesses.
Only God knows where we will be If things continue to work out well for us in 4years time when those they finished secondary school together will finish their schooling.
let's say his classmates then got a job of #80,000 a month, how long will they be saving to get millions a year, even if they do, they will still be some years behind him.
I am not saying schooling is bad but I think its meant for the rich alone because there is surely a job waiting for them after schooling. and an average Nigerian that wants to further more should always have a plan B like learning a trade in case they can't get a job after schooling.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by Isaacmacdon(m): 12:25pm On Jul 26, 2015
like u stated "I think its high time we all accept the fact that schooling is not meant for everybody"
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by osaslord500(m): 12:27pm On Jul 26, 2015
Op u sure?
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 12:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
Isaacmacdon:
like u stated "I think its high time we all accept the fact that schooling is not meant for everybody"
I always wish we all could see the truth @ the bolded
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
osaslord500:
Op u sure?
over sure dey worry me sef
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by osizi06(m): 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Op, u are right somehow.... Bt not totally right.... I think certificates matters alot in dis country becos u dont know where u may find yursef tumoro...

3 Likes

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by ArchEnemy(m): 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Education is the best legacy

Op you ve a point, but you got favoured. Some people won't ve the same opportunity that you have. Hunger ll drill holes in their belle.

It is most likely the favoured, connected, those with background wealth or talented people that get to make it without full education
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 12:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
osizi06:
Op, u are right somehow.... Bt not totally right.... I think certificates matters alot in dis country becos u dont know where u may find yursef tumoro...
did you say certificate, answer this question sincerely, will you burn all your certificate for #50,000,000
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2015
ArchEnemy:
Education is the best legacy

Op you ve a point, but you got favoured. Some people won't ve the same opportunity that you have. Hunger ll drill holes in their belle.

It is most likely the favoured, connected, those with background wealth or talented people that get to make it without full education
I know education is the best legacy and am not disputing that, but we all know there are lots of jobless people out there. But what am preaching is to have a solid plan b, while still schooling
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by ArchEnemy(m): 1:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
I know education is the best legacy and am not disputing that, but we all know there are lots of jobless people out there. But what am preaching is to have a solid plan b, while still schooling
well, no qualms against that
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by Isaacmacdon(m): 1:17pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
I always wish we all could see the truth @ the bolded
Abi
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by refreshrate: 1:22pm On Jul 26, 2015
Being educated and being schooled are two different things.
Don't get it twisted.
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 1:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
refreshrate:
Being educated and being schooled are two different things.

Don't get it twisted.

maybe you need to explain to us what we don't know
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
Please owner and mods richiez olawalebabs ishilove lalasticlala please come see this post, I think it's worth FP, we need to hear what people think. Pleaseeee
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by refreshrate: 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
maybe you need to explain to us what we don't know

A lot of people carry certificate with 2.1 on them can't construct a simple sentence without a blunder let alone apply critical reasoning.
No need to look far dem full NL and you need to see some job applications.

That's educated.

OP has gone through the motions, worked as a cleaner even though he felt he wasted time there failing to understand he gained a few things there (in a few years he's going to open his own cleaning agency - just doesn't know it yet) then the concept of time & tide.

He's a carpenter now, understands the workings of wood & tools for it & can make a living off of it.

That's schooled.

It could be vice versa but I doubt it with the present Nigerian education process that supports cram & pour.

2 Likes

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 2:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
Jed14:
I agree with u op but to an extent..Certificate is not a total waste.....
am not disputing that fact but my message is that an average Nigerian should have a plan B while still in school
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 2:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
refreshrate:

A lot of people carry certificate with 2.1 on them can't construct a simple sentence without a blunder let alone apply critical reasoning.
No need to look far dem full NL and you need to see some job applications.

That's educated.

OP has gone through the motions, worked as a cleaner even though he felt he wasted time there failing to understand he gained a few things there (in a few years he's going to open his own cleaning agency - just doesn't know it yet) then the concept of time & tide.

He's a carpenter now, understands the workings of wood & tools for it & can make a living off of it.

That's schooled.

It could be vice versa but I doubt it with the present Nigerian education process that supports cram & pour.
now you have just told me what I don't know. (am d OP). do you know you just thought me another lesson and opened my eyes

1 Like

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by osizi06(m): 5:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
did you say certificate, answer this question sincerely, will you burn all your certificate for #50,000,000
only a foolish man will do dat
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 7:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
osizi06:
only a foolish man will do dat
I see you turning a foolish man wen the chance comes up. #50million is too good to turn down. Like I said, an average Nigerian graduate that's not even sure to get work soon will gladly burn his certificate for #50million.
So you need to think twice before you say no
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 7:19pm On Jul 26, 2015
Cc: seun. Since the other mods wouldn't answer, Come do the needful
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 8:22pm On Jul 26, 2015
Cc: seun lalasticlala ishilove
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by Mizzzbeee(f): 8:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
I see you turning a foolish man wen the chance comes up. #50million is too good to turn down. Like I said, an average Nigerian graduate that's not even sure to get work soon will gladly burn his certificate for #50million.

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by simdam500(m): 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2015
op gat point! But you know much about yourself, if we are to go out there and talk to people of your kind. Some people have worked 6 solid yrs with nothing to show, not even a 1000 naira. Same thing applies to education, not every educated people will succeed through their certificate but one thing is certain, if u didn't do what you are passionate about in life, u will never be happy!

Happiness

1 Like

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 8:53pm On Jul 26, 2015
[quote author=Mizzzbeee post=36303491][/quote] osizi06 needs to see this pix
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by Soteriahascome: 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2015
@Op, you're entitled to your opinion; But I totally disagree with your motion.

Ask People Who Are Not From Rich Root That Made It Through Education And They Will Tell You That Education Is The Ultimate... People Like Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, The CAN President, The Bishop Of Winners, My (Father) A lot But Few To Mention...

Yes! I May Be Convinced To Believe That Not Everybody In Your Kinsmen Must Be Educated, But I Want To Tell You That Everyone In My Kinsmen Is Expected To Have At least A National Diploma Degree.
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by osizi06(m): 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
becos it worked out well for yhu doesnt mean it wil work out well for mr x.. BTW..... If every average nigerian did not go to school, u tink say dat work for reach yur hand? ......food for thought
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by Peaches90(f): 9:36pm On Jul 26, 2015
At college bound consults, we provide university placement opportunities to individuals seeking admission into colleges and universities here in the U.S for their undergraduate and postgraduate courses. We help students get scholarship opportunities and with SEVIS fee payment.

We take care of all the processing needs and ensure our students enjoy stress-free application and placement into their desired institution in the United States. We have partnered with several U.S universities and as such, we've been able to help many Nigerians achieve their dreams of getting their education in the United States.
Kindly visit our website http://www.collegeboundconsults.com/ for more information about our services.

Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 10:01pm On Jul 26, 2015
osizi06:
becos it worked out well for yhu doesnt mean it wil work out well for mr x.. BTW..... If every average nigerian did not go to school, u tink say dat work for reach yur hand? ......food for thought
you don't seems to get my point. Am not saying schooling is bad but we should know schooling is not for everyone and those in school should have a plan B in case they can't get a job quickly after school
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by osizi06(m): 10:47pm On Jul 26, 2015
gabazin080:
you don't seems to get my point. Am not saying schooling is bad but we should know schooling is not for everyone and those in school should have a plan B in case they can't get a job quickly after school
but dats not what d topic says
Re: To Me Schooling Is A Waste Of Time And Money For An Average Nigerian by gabazin080(m): 11:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
Soteriahascome:
@Op, you're entitled to your opinion; But I totally disagree with your motion.

Ask People Who Are Not From Rich Root That Made It Through Education And They Will Tell You That Education Is The Ultimate... People Like Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, The CAN President, The Bishop Of Winners, My (Father) A lot But Few To Mention...

Yes! I May Be Convinced To Believe That Not Everybody In Your Kinsmen Must Be Educated, But I Want To Tell You That Everyone In My Kinsmen Is Expected To Have At least A National Diploma Degree.
but those that failed to make it to the top are more than those that made it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Top 22 Universities To Study Law In Nigeria / Bayero University Kano,admission 2010/2011 / Free Download '17 Secrets Of High Flying Students' By Fela Durotoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.