Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,017 members, 7,828,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Age Determines Fee - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Age Determines Fee (649 Views)

New Domain Renewal Fee Is Outrageous On Smartwebng.com.ng / Bulk Sms Website Urgently Needed At A Relatively Modest Fee!#help Pls / Interswitch Merchant Charges And Setup Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Determines Fee by cyberomin(m): 8:50pm On Mar 15, 2009
Hello guys, how are u all doing today, awesome i suppose, pls i will want us to deliberate on this issue, "does your age as a developer determines how much a client should pay you?", why am asking this question is this, many a times people tell me things like, gees you are just 20yrs old, why should you be asking for 200k for a job, at your age what do u need that kind of money for.
Please is it a crime now to be young and ask for a good pay for your sweat and sleepless night. All feed back will be highly appreciated.
Re: Age Determines Fee by yawatide(f): 10:20pm On Mar 15, 2009
It shdnt be a factor but in Nigeria, I guess it is. I would say in that regard that you tell them that just like age isn't a factor in a relationship, it shdnt be a factor in what you know. Besides, by hiring you, they aren't hiring your age but your skill set.

Hopefully that works for you. Good luck!
Re: Age Determines Fee by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 15, 2009
Age has to do with if you are married too. . .and your level of experience. . . .and also how you package yourself. . .
When i first started web development, i do some work for as low as 15 k, 20 K, 30 K. . .and interestingly, my skill set
between then and now are about the same. . .i look at some of my old work and some of my new work, i dont see
much difference. . .but again portfolio. . .what u have done in the past. . .all of them too matter. . .
Re: Age Determines Fee by mycode(m): 11:58pm On Mar 15, 2009
Age is very absolute to fee. Fee should be a function of your job portfolios, confidence, experience and skill sets. No one is hiring age, but your experience, skill sets, your confidence and work portfolios. Why would Nigeria be different from all other countries in this respect? I know of some guys though not web designers/developers negotiating contract of above N30Million successfully and without any God fatherism/motherism, this was purely not related to age, but the combination of factors of what made them to be respected in their field.
Re: Age Determines Fee by paule: 10:56am On Mar 20, 2009
I too faced these challenge. The solution is do a good job which will convince them of what u can do and not necessary who u are(ur age). every employer start first to underestimate u (but the purpose to to pay u less and make u do more). So u have to prove it! Good luck
Re: Age Determines Fee by yawatide(f): 11:26am On Mar 20, 2009
I have had some more time to think about this and have come up with another explanation cool

Age shouldn't be a factor but it is in the sense that, it depends on how you deal with the client with respect to, for instance, how you speak and how you present yourself. For instance, it is quite possible for a 20-year old to sound and look like a 30-year old and vice versa. So maybe age here shouldn't necessarily mean biological age but mental age.

As they say: The way you dress it the way you are addressed
Re: Age Determines Fee by cyberomin(m): 11:50am On Mar 20, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

As they say: The way you dress it the way you are addressed
Well i understand this part very well, packaging is the ingredient to every success in business, well i strongly believe doing a good job has nothing to do with your age, the most important part is your experience in the field. But some bad belle people just belive 'cos you are 20, you should be charging 20k for your jobs.
Re: Age Determines Fee by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 21, 2009
The first website i did then. . .i charged 15k, second one 20k. . .then when i did a demo with the one i did for 15k, i used it to get my 3rd job 150k. . .because the client was able to believe that the job i did for 15k was worth 100k. . .that is packaging stuff too. . .
Point is, whatever job u do, do it well. . .so that at least you have port folio . . . then after that, you can now get mouth to talk. . .

(1) (Reply)

NL Webmasters Meeting - Sign In! / I Need Hits On My Website / Web Design!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.