Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,421 members, 7,830,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job (44767 Views)

Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? / Zenith Bank Interview 2016 / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Adortem: 11:54am On Jul 28, 2015
Uni students hardly save and money hardly stay in their account,so mentioning that was bad news for them...Although,you would be surprised that you may be called afterward

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Umunede(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2015
You should be able to defend anything in your CV. They glanced at my cv and saw that I included GNLD. I was asked to pick any GNLD product and market it to them. I was shocked. I struggled but composed myself later
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by tinnyashamu(m): 11:59am On Jul 28, 2015
urs is even beta.....we were told to open account 100 per day after given us work which dey know its not possible
i 8 dat bank recruiting policy wit passion
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Adortem: 12:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
Uni students hardly save and money hardly stay in their account,so mentioning that was bad news for them. Although,you would be surprised that you may be called afterward.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by dmcdad: 12:18pm On Jul 28, 2015
femology:
the funniest things about interviews is that you cant just know all the angles the questions might come from, u may think u have done all the required things before d interview but when they start asking u questions u may not know what next to say, its just the grace of God......
True.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by onatisi(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
If you can't market yourself and ideas ,then you can't market any product or service. You are the product and service your employers want to buy. This is just the plain truth .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ephi123(f): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:
It's not just the grace of any God. Are you telling people to not prepare and hope on the so called grace or what?

OP, do not despair, keep looking, you'll get there.

I think he is saying it's not by preparation ONLY, which I fully agree. You can prepare for all eventualities but it doesn't guarantee anything because afterall you are not a mind-reader and cannot tell exactly what questions the interviewer would ask.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by freecocoa(f): 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2015
ephi123:

I think he is saying it's not by preparation ONLY, which I fully agree. You can prepare for all eventualities but it doesn't guarantee anything because afterall you are not a mind-reader and cannot tell exactly what questions the interviewer would ask.
Okay then, though I don't believe any God has a part to play in it but we are allowed to believe what we want, so it's cool.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ephi123(f): 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2015
TruthisOut:
You should not have told the interviewer that you have no banking or marketing experience even if you don't, besides that I think your answers can pass. He was just giving you a hard time.

Just be hopeful and keep searching too.

Agreed but the nervousness a lot of people experience during interviews can make one say what in hindsight one wouldn't have said. We've all been there, the number of times i have come out of meetings thinking "I shouldn't have said xyz".. It's all a part of learning and growth. The deed is done, and he should move on. Something better will come up.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ephi123(f): 12:48pm On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:
Okay then, though I don't believe any God has a part to play in it but we are allowed to believe what we want, so it's cool.

Yes, people have different belief systems and that is fine. I personally believe God makes a huge difference as well as one doing one's part.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Sunjos: 12:53pm On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:
It's not just the grace of any God. Are you telling people to not prepare and hope on the so called grace or what?

it is certain that you don't know what the grace of God is. Otherwise you won't be saying those words. When the grace of God is on a man..... Bros forget it..... That's all you need. The grace.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by kenobi007(m): 12:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

But then.. He interrupted me and asked me:

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.
What I have to ask is this, is it proper to share ur marketing ideas and strategy to an employer who will end up stealing the idea and not employing u. imagine how many applicants for the job who will give him a detailed insight on their strategy. Will it be ok if I give him a less detailed answer and mk him curious for my master plan and employ me.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by freecocoa(f): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
Sunjos:
it is certain that you don't know what the grace of God is. Otherwise you won't be saying those words. When the grace of God is on a man..... Bros forget it..... That's all you need. The grace.
I don't give a rat's a$$ as I'm more than sure there's nothing like the Grace of God, you can believe in it all you want, I just think it's ignorant to tell people their hardwork counts for nothing without the said grace.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.

Guy the question is in order, if you cant answer it , then your not ready for the job, cos you wont last 1 week there.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ephi123(f): 1:02pm On Jul 28, 2015
Charism,
One other thing to point out - for you to have reached the final stage of this interview shows you've got what it takes. I can see from your previous threads that you have done a number of applications, so my encouragement to you would be to hang in there. Those that have jobs today have also experienced what you are going through. Continue being persistent. All the best and really praying something good comes up for you soon. Cheers
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ogbordan(m): 1:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
the ans is: work hard to get 25 customer per day. for five working days(a week) gives u 125 (25×5) and for a month then gives you 500 ie 125 ×4.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by jonescosmo(m): 1:14pm On Jul 28, 2015
Lolz, Y'all talk as if y'all ain't in Nigeria. The Boss wanted answers like ""I would go after the rich men and do all things necessary to make 'em come banking with us.""
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by zubby29(m): 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:

u dnt seem to get it.u can never b fully prepared for a job,no 1 knows everytin,u require luck and God during dis interviews
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by freecocoa(f): 1:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
zubby29:
u dnt seem to get it.u can never b fully prepared for a job,no 1 knows everytin,u require luck and God during dis interviews
And I say I can agree with luck but there is no God anywhere involved in it for me.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Whizzing(m): 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:

Freecocoa Wetin u dey talk sef...did u c in d comment that d job seeker shouldn't get prepared?
Some people just hate seeing or hearing God's name shaa.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by drnairalov: 2:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
sorry bout that bro..it happens...keep searching.. I remember when I was searching for job in Europe this year it wasn't easy mehn. I am working now tho. I also I just met this humble man from no where...he offered to link me to his job and what I need to say so and learn for the job. 70,000 euros per year..sadly I can't take the job for reasons I can go into details here for. did probably link somebody else to the job ..anyways he offered to pay half of my rent for six month. he paid August own yesterday..sweardown just met this man last friday.

God is good
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 28, 2015
Well first thing u do is write down a prospect list and go after them. Charity begins at home so u have to comb ur family and friends first. Also, u can turn ur social media accounts into another medium becos the internet is another market as well. But before this u woulld have to break down the entire target into daily targets and if possible hourly targets. 500 divided by 30 days in a month simply means roughly 16 accounts in a day and about 1 or 2 accounts on every hour btw 8am to 5pm if u wanna restrict urself to working hours only. Dats not soo bad?‎

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
kenobi007:

What I have to ask is this, is it proper to share ur marketing ideas and strategy to an employer who will end up stealing the idea and not employing u. imagine how many applicants for the job who will give him a detailed insight on their strategy. Will it be ok if I give him a less detailed answer and mk him curious for my master plan and employ me.
brother that's what i would have done, infact i would make him/her sign a nondisclosure form, before i give my insight, ideas worth billions of naire in this world, why give it because of 50-60k. No marketing idea i simple n usless, profit requires change sometimes what business need is just a little tweak, not an entire new system.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by engrshakespeare: 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:

Thanks.

Guy u hv no reason to feel hurt, infact I advise u go for thanksgiving nd Thank God u didnt get into that bank that takes ur youth and spits u out old and used. Access bank doesnt give u any access, I should knw I resigned from d bank and its d best decision I ever made.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Ashmark(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2015
""Know about that job as if you've already started work there"".......Quote of the Day
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Ashmark(m): 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2015
kenobi007:

You comment make me laugh. Which Marketing ideas are you talking about. It does not work that way in bank
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by DSuperWoman(f): 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2015
sorry about your experience dear. you should have probably said something about advertising online. all these older peeps are usually impressed when u talk about doing stuff online since its an area they don't understand so well they take it to be a big deal. theman would have been like 'so u mean we can advertise on this ehhhh Nairaland ni' lols. dont be too hard on yourself abetter door will open and you'll be glad they didnt take u. they may still employ you. some peeps did worse than you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by kenobi007(m): 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
Ashmark:

You comment make me laugh. Which Marketing ideas are you talking about. It does not work that way in bank
. Laugh for all I care. Just saying what I feel.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by dahmie2013: 7:41pm On Jul 28, 2015
Dat was a tough one though. Aldo u shudnt have said experience, cos dey already knew dat b4 dey called u.

Anywys, its an experience 2. We learn everday. All d best!
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Ashmark(m): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2015
kenobi007:
. Laugh for all I care. Just saying what I feel.
Omode lon seh e
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by BeauHomme: 9:10pm On Jul 28, 2015
It is well o
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by mikolo80: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2015
femology:
the funniest things about interviews is that you cant just know all the angles the questions might come from, u may think u have done all the required things before d interview but when they start asking u questions u may not know what next to say, its just the grace of God......
THEN IT MEANS YOU HAVEN'T COVERED THAT ANGLE THAT FUMBLES YOU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Checkout 20 Things Recruiters Do Not Want To See On Your CV / Apply For Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) Graduate Trainees Programme 2018 / Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.