Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,453 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Let An Atheist Answer This. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let An Atheist Answer This. (8467 Views)

No Anambra Man Would Let An Enugu Man Be President” – Rev Fr. Mbaka / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let An Atheist Answer This. by Esdb3: 7:37am On Jul 29, 2015
The Question; Is it that you believe God just doesn't exist?

Or do you believe that God and spiritualism(in other words spiritual things) doesn't exist?.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by menesheh(m): 7:52am On Jul 29, 2015
Esdb3:

Or do you believe that God and spiritualism(in other words spiritual things doesn't exist?).

Can you remove spiritualism from god concept. If you do, then there will be no weird explanation of god.

Atheist are against inexplicable spiritual causes until you explain how it works with provable mechanisms.

5 Likes

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Newbieeee(m): 8:05am On Jul 29, 2015
Hm. My name is newbieeee, n im not atheis cheesy :v
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 29, 2015
I believe that God exist buh I dnt practice any religion,so wat will I be termed?
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Esdb3: 9:15am On Jul 29, 2015
onomeglo:
I believe that God exist buh I dnt practice any religion,so wat will I be termed?

A lukewarm person and last time I checked it is clear in the bible that God hates lukewarm folks who are neither hot nor cold. Who aint sure they are for God or the world.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Esdb3: 9:18am On Jul 29, 2015
menesheh:

Can you remove spiritualism from god concept. If you do, then there will be no weird explanation of god.

Atheist are against inexplicable spiritual causes until you explain how it works with provable mechanisms.

U r atheist?

This is my problem with them. They can't reason. It is spiritual and can't be explained logically so why won't they accept it is just something they don't understand.

My question to you----- does magic happen(not the tricks u see on tv I mean real occultic magic)?
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 29, 2015
Esdb3:

A lukewarm person and last time I checked it is clear in the bible that God hates lukewarm folks who are neither hot nor cold. Who aint sure they are for God or the world.
undecided
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:04am On Jul 29, 2015
menesheh:

Everything is wrong here sire.

There is nothing weird in the spiritual explanation of God. God as explaimed in different spiritual circle is nothing but a natural force and energy. Weird explanation can only be found in religion where it concept is meant to be sold to the gullible ones after lot of distortion.

Atheists are not against spiritual cause. We have lot of atheists who claimed to be spiritual. Alot of buddist atheists are spiritual. Sam Harris is a renowed atheist who at the same time embrace the philosophical and spiritual beauty of buddhism.

Spiritualism is more than worshipping a deity or divinities in the church or mosque. It is understanding of oneself and surroundings, acquistion of enlightment and building a relationship with the outside verse for the feeling of awe and making the uiverse a better place. Like Fela defined his, he said; to be spiritual is not praying in the church, spiritualism is the understanding of the universe so that it can be a better place to live in. Are atheists against understanding of the universe? Have atheists stop feeling any sense of awe to the outside world? Do atheists throw to the bin law binding the universe which has no explanation? So whats the point?

I think you throw out spiritualism because it is not science but do you know it begat pure modern and natural science? Alchemy begat chemistry. Astrolatry begat astronomy. Geomancy begay geography. Even the formal education of today started from the temple of divinities. So how are you going to seperate science from it source?

Spiritualism and atheism has been debated long time questioning if the two work hand in hand. Here are some links that shows thay atheists are not against spiritual cause http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismquestions/a/Spirituality.htm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1316619

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nfXfTg92E

http://www.ibtimes.com/can-atheists-still-be-spiritual-oprah-prompts-debate-1441106

Mind you, I am a spiritual atheist.

Atheism is disbelieve in existence of god. But what do you mean by God? What is God? Do you disbelieve in existence of god if God is defined as a Man like in imperial cult and apotheosis

2 Likes

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:33am On Jul 29, 2015
Newbieeee:
Hm. My name is newbieeee, n im not atheis cheesy :v

But you are a terrorist.

Too much of movies grin grin angry

1 Like

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2015
onomeglo:

Secularist I guess
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by McSterling(m): 11:24am On Jul 29, 2015
I don't believe in the existence of god(s) and the supernatural.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by K9blunt(f): 11:41am On Jul 29, 2015
Am just a plain atheist, all through atheist of any god/gods concept.
Not spiritual yet, just a free thinker.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:47pm On Jul 29, 2015
K9blunt:
Am just a plain atheist, all through atheist of any god/gods concept.
Not spiritual yet, just a free thinker.

Can i pls engage you?

In the apotheosis concept of God, an influencial, admired and adored person is a God. Do you as an atheist disbelieve in the existence of influencial person because they are been called god?

The naturalistic panthiests, every natural entities are Gods. Do you disbelieve in the existence of natutal enities because they are called god? Do you disbelieve in Gaia (a goddess who represent earth) and Mother Nature because they are been worship as God?

To spinoza, the god concept in spinozism states that natural substance is God. Do you disbelieve God (substance) not existing? Justice and law is substance that exist as a god/deity in ancient and modern culture as Lady justice. Do you disbelieve in the existence of lady justice because she is greek deity?

Astrolatry concept express the stars as one with God. Is Venus and Mars not existing? Remember they are gods too.

I want each of this questions answered pls
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
McSterling:
I don't believe in the existence of god(s) and the supernatural.

As I can remembered, atheism is disbelieve in God and not disbelieve in supernaturals.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by onetrack(m): 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
onomeglo:

Depending on your view of what god is, you would either be a deist or a non-religious theist.

1 Like

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by onetrack(m): 1:11pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

As I can remembered, atheism is disbelieve in God and not disbelieve in supernaturals.

I don't know any atheist who believes in the supernatural, but there may be some that do. Atheists lack belief in any god, that is the only criterion. Atheists generally want real proof of supernatural claims. I have never seen any; and superstitions of the past have easily been disproven by experimentation and science.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
onetrack:

Depending on your view of what god is, you would either be a deist or a non-religious theist.
ok
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
onetrack:

I don't know any atheist who believes in the supernatural, but there may be some that do. Atheists lack belief in any god, that is the only criterion. Atheists generally want real proof of supernatural claims. I have never seen any; and superstitions of the past have easily been disproven by experimentation and science.

I think there is an atheist who believe in the supernatural. He commented on this thread https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100922033708AAeqSKW pls stroll to read his words.

There is another atheists who believe in supernaturals http://www.atheistrepublic.com/forums/atheist-hub/atheists-who-believe-some-supernatural-concepts-help-me-out-here

Supernatural is an unexplained occurrence. Or let me say an event that cannot be explained by natural law.

Atheist ask questions about God existence and not evidence of supernatural claims. I might be wrong maybe if you tell me atheism is not about god but supernaturals.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by McSterling(m): 1:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

There is no evidence for god and the supernatural.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
McSterling:
There is no evidence for god and the supernatural.

Lol.

Before I take you on this, can you explain what you mean by God and supernatural?

Because to me and others, the sun is god. Does this mean there is no evidence for the sun?

Kindly define God as per the sun pls
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by onetrack(m): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

I think there is an atheist who believe in the supernatural. He commented on this thread https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100922033708AAeqSKW pls stroll to read his words.

There is another atheists who believe in supernaturals http://www.atheistrepublic.com/forums/atheist-hub/atheists-who-believe-some-supernatural-concepts-help-me-out-here

Supernatural is an unexplained occurrence. Or let me say an event that cannot be explained by natural law.

Atheist ask questions about God existence and not evidence of supernatural claims. I might be wrong maybe if you tell me atheism is not about god but supernaturals.

Like I said, atheism is only a lack of belief in any god. Beyond that atheists do not need to have anything in common. So there may be superstitious atheists, though I think they would be rare, and would almost certainly be questioned by other atheists.

As far as so-called supernatural events, I'd say that most atheists would simply say that a natural, rational explanation exists but may not have been found at this point, as has been the case so many times in the past, where events formerly believed to be supernatural come to be explained by science as perfectly natural.

But atheists don't agree on many things, so you will find a diversity of opinions about subjects other than the existence of any gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by K9blunt(f): 1:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Can i pls engage you?

In the apotheosis concept of God, an influencial, admired and adored person is a God. Do you as an atheist disbelieve in the existence of influencial person because they are been called god?

The naturalistic panthiests, every natural entities are Gods. Do you disbelieve in the existence of natutal enities because they are called god? Do you disbelieve in Gaia (a goddess who represent earth) and Mother Nature because they are been worship as God?

To spinoza, the god concept in spinozism states that natural substance is God. Do you disbelieve God (substance) not existing? Justice and law is substance that exist as a god/deity in ancient and modern culture as Lady justice. Do you disbelieve in the existence of lady justice because she is greek deity?

Astrolatry concept express the stars as one with God. Is Venus and Mars not existing? Remember they are gods too.

I want each of this questions answered pls

Hmn,
In the apotheosis concept of God, if am to go by that concept/definition of what a GOD is then ofcourse I will believe the person is a God (based on that concept), meaning the so-called person has done something that is provable, av seen him/her doing the admirable whatever, and or experienced it. Like for instance Prof. Soyinka, who's the 1st african (hope am correct) to get a nobel price for literature to me is known as a God of literature. I wasn't there but I have evidence to prove it.

For the natural pantheist , well I could say I understand what they mean in the sence that gaea is the earth we walk on, nature that governs the other of existence. According to that ideology, its more about entities that we living beings, feel and see with our eyes that are bigger than our control that governs us. You can't kill death cause its bigger than you, that's the natural order of existence. If that is a definition of what a GOD is then I believe it.

Spinozoa, huh!
Lady justtice is just part of a natural order of karma, you and I both know that there is always a concequence for what ever we do, either. Wrong or right. I don't need to call her a god and pray and worship the so-called lady justice. You can become justice by getting even with your offender or sorts.

Venus and Mars are simply planets that exist and the studies on them are if there are living things in/on them like on earth, so if they are considered as GODs, like calling venus instead of Venus planet, God planet , ok I believe.

Finally my thoughts are there is no "GOD" like a supreme being,incapale of faults, who's right when he says so,wrong when he wishes and calls it right, jealous, and what have you. I don't believe in all that, I don't believe in the greek gods/goddeses, egyptian gods, omadioha in the way they have been presented by their worshipers.
But if explained logically like saying nature is god because I can see it,feel it,touch it, but can't control it because its bigger than me. Then I believe.

I hope av answered something.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by plaetton: 2:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
Esdb3:

Or do you believe that God and spiritualism(in other words spiritual things) doesn't exist?.

Like someone pointed out yesterday on another thread, just look back 300 yrs of human history, and then count how many spiritual mumbo jumbos have been replaced with empirical scientific knowledge.
Its in the thousands.

The reason that you Africans are still talking spiri spiri mumbo jumbo is because your educational system, due to poor design, has not yet succeeded to emasculated the domineering influence of the primordial Impulses and thinking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
onetrack:

Like I said, atheism is only a lack of belief in any god. Beyond that atheists do not need to have anything in common. So there may be superstitious atheists, though I think they would be rare, and would almost certainly be questioned by other atheists.

I dont think any atheist deserve the question coming from since the believe system is outside atheism and existence of god.

Atheism is disbelieve in god existence. If a particular atheist like I have shown you and still lot others believe in ghost, ETT and supernatural beings, it would be agree that their stance is outside atheism and not called for questioning by atheist because it has nothing to do with god.

onetrack:

As far as so-called supernatural events, I'd say that most atheists would simply say that a natural, rational explanation exists but may not have been found at this point, as has been the case so many times in the past, where events formerly believed to be supernatural come to be explained by science as perfectly natural.

Supernaturals mean the nature is super. Everything in the nature is super.

And I dont need those long story when you can simply use the word superrnatural to express yourself?

onetrack:

But atheists don't agree on many things, so you will find a diversity of opinions about subjects other than the existence of any gods.

The remaining diversing opinions has nothing to do with atheism and should not be related to atheism. This buttress my point that atheists should not ask for evidence of supernatural claims an any other thing other than existence of God.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by plaetton: 2:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
Esdb3:

U r atheist?

This is my problem with them. They can't reason. It is spiritual and can't be explained logically so why won't they accept it is just something they don't understand.

My question to you----- does magic happen(not the tricks u see on tv I mean real occultic magic)?
Pls answer this simple question.
If, as you say, something cannot be explained logically, then how else is it explained?

Is tagging something as spiritual an alternative explanation, or a cowardly copout?

1 Like

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
K9blunt:

Hmn,
In the apotheosis concept of God, if am to go by that concept/definition of what a GOD is then ofcourse I will believe the person is a God (based on that concept), meaning the so-called person has done something that is provable, av seen him/her doing the admirable whatever, and or experienced it. Like for instance Prof. Soyinka, who's the 1st african (hope am correct) to get a nobel price for literature to me is known as a God of literature. I wasn't there but I have evidence to prove it.

For the natural pantheist , well I could say I understand what they mean in the sence that gaea is the earth we walk on, nature that governs the other of existence. According to that ideology, its more about entities that we living beings, feel and see with our eyes that are bigger than our control that governs us. You can't kill death cause its bigger than you, that's the natural order of existence. If that is a definition of what a GOD is then I believe it.

Spinozoa, huh!
Lady justtice is just part of a natural order of karma, you and I both know that there is always a concequence for what ever we do, either. Wrong or right. I don't need to call her a god and pray and worship the so-called lady justice. You can become justice by getting even with your offender or sorts.

Venus and Mars are simply planets that exist and the studies on them are if there are living things in/on them like on earth, so if they are considered as GODs, like calling venus instead of Venus planet, God planet , ok I believe.

Finally my thoughts are there is no "GOD" like a supreme being,incapale of faults, who's right when he says so,wrong when he wishes and calls it right, jealous, and what have you. I don't believe in all that, I don't believe in the greek gods/goddeses, egyptian gods, omadioha in the way they have been presented by their worshipers.
But if explained logically like saying nature is god because I can see it,feel it,touch it, but can't control it because its bigger than me. Then I believe.

I hope av answered something.

Lol Sis.

You have answered me perfectly.

But permit me to ask further, you believe in a particular God and disbelieve in another; do you still think with this you are and remain an atheist?

Believe in apotheosis concept of God is samething as believing in Egypitian sacred kings/ Roman emperors. So I wondered why you denounce an open fact with the statement that you dont believe in egypitian deities. Imperial cult are across the world. In this society, personalities are been worshipped as God which Egypt is not excluded. So how do you mean by you cant worship egyptian gods when you already believe in Apotheosis concept of God?

Karma is a supernatural/ natural force. For there to be cause, there must be an effect. That aside, Lady Justice is an ancient greek God of Justice. It today symbolize Law and Justice in our Court. It is represented as a woman holding a scale on one hand and a sword on the other hand. That you claim you aint worshipping and praying to Lady justice is hillarious. Praying is petitioning while Worshipping is acknowledgement of someone or something. So tell me Ma, hw you refuse to pray and worship lady justice? Dont you petition can call for justice when you see irregularity? Dont you acknowledge the worth of Justice and the power the deity carries?

Venus and Mars are the name of Roman God dear. The planetary bodies were named after these Gods because they share the same trait. Mars is the God of metals became the name of the twin earth because it has lot of metalic elements. This implies that those planets are real and evidence that particular astrolatry deities exist.

Sam Harris once said something, take buddhism away from buddhist. I think you have an open mind when you said you dont believe in God as presented by worshippers. We know that lot of distortions, misconceptions and wrong attirbution either through exagerration or effort to appear logical but this does not mean God should be thrown in the bin like other atheists do here. I mean read the bible, quran or gita for values and not contradition. Look for the philosophy, moral teaching and not faults. Learn how to separate myth, fiction and superstition from reality. Do you as an atheist do this?
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by bolaino(m): 3:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Lol Sis.

You have answered me perfectly.

But permit me to ask further, you believe in a particular God and disbelieve in another; do you still think with this you are and remain an atheist?

Believe in apotheosis concept of God is samething as believing in Egypitian sacred kings/ Roman emperors. So I wondered why you denounce an open fact with the statement that you dont believe in egypitian deities. Imperial cult are across the world. In this society, personalities are been worshipped as God which Egypt is not excluded. So how do you mean by you cant worship egyptian gods when you already believe in Apotheosis concept of God?

Karma is a supernatural/ natural force. For there to be cause, there must be an effect. That aside, Lady Justice is an ancient greek God of Justice. It today symbolize Law and Justice in our Court. It is represented as a woman holding a scale on one hand and a sword on the other hand. That you claim you aint worshipping and praying to Lady justice is hillarious. Praying is petitioning while Worshipping is acknowledgement of someone or something. So tell me Ma, hw you refuse to pray and worship lady justice? Dont you petition can call for justice when you see irregularity? Dont you acknowledge the worth of Justice and the power the deity carries?

Venus and Mars are the name of Roman God dear. The planetary bodies were named after these Gods because they share the same trait. Mars is the God of metals became the name of the twin earth because it has lot of metalic elements. This implies that those planets are real and evidence that particular astrolatry deities exist.

Sam Harris once said something, take buddhism away from buddhist. I think you have an open mind when you said you dont believe in God as presented by worshippers. We know that lot of distortions, misconceptions and wrong attirbution either through exagerration or effort to appear logical but this does not mean God should be thrown in the bin like other atheists do here. I mean read the bible, quran or gita for values and not contradition. Look for the philosophy, moral teaching and not faults. Learn how to separate myth, fiction and superstition from reality. Do you as an atheist do this?
Please Tell us More about The Irunmole... Don't mind these church people.
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
plaetton:

If, as you say, something cannot be explained logically, then how else is it explained?

Is tagging something as spiritual an alternative explanation, or a cowardly copout?

the guy was wrong. I have to admit this.

What he mean to say is that not everything can be explain scientifically
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
bolaino:
Please Tell us More about The Irunmole... Don't mind these church people.

go and meet the babalawo in your hood
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by plaetton: 4:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

the guy was wrong. I have to admit this.

What he mean to say is that not everything can be explain scientifically

Even that statement is lame.

200yrs ago, how many things could be explained scientifically?
Very very few.

2000 yrs ago, how many things could be explained scientifically?
Virtually none.

Today, how many things could be explained scientifically?
A lot.
A lot much more than the op knows.
I wonder the last time, if ever at all, He read a scientific journal.

2000 yrs from today, how many more things would be explained scientifically?
A lot lot more than we could ever imagine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by kolajamesjnr(m): 4:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
onomeglo:
Deist
Re: Let An Atheist Answer This. by Esdb3: 4:26pm On Jul 29, 2015
plaetton:

You this boy again.

Life is not all logic goddamn it! Life is like an os the physical logic being the gui and the spiritual being something like the command prompt.

You haven't seen anything in this life that is why you try to explain everything logically. Please go and research on OCCULT and MAGICK, get books on how to cast spells, get initiated to a ritual cult you can choose a modern one. Mind you, your life may end up getting ruined but know your inability to just let things be and live as you've been told caused it.

Read about aleister crowley read on sex magick. Then, Come and tell me everything can be explained by logic.

If a modern cult like freemason is too hard to get into, try eckankar, or go to osun state for money rituals then you'll know! Mtchw!

When they kill a human by just speaking of his name maybe you'll finally appreciate God and the fact that everything is not fucking LOGICAL!!!

You this new generation kids seem to have forgotten that logic was invented it wasn't always around. Take yoga for example, is it logical?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Help Translate This Gospel Song. / Where Is It Written In The Bible That Masturbation Is A Sin???? / The Plain Concept Of Eledumare And Orisas With The Reality Behind Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.