Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,505 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes (9516 Views)

See The Snake That Was Killed This Morning In My Area / What Are Your Pet Peeves, Phobias And Things That Irritate You? / Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by mamba(m): 11:28pm On May 18, 2005
This thread is for those of us who own or have owned pet snakes at one time or the other grin
Feel free to tell us about your snakes and what you like about them, what do you feed them, are they poisonous, non-poisonous or defanged rolleyes?

BTW, If you don't own a snake and you're not a snake lover please tell us why you hate snakes
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Seun(m): 1:47am On May 19, 2005
Mamba, I do not like snakes. Most human beings hate snakes.[list][li]They are reptiles. Who wants to keep scaly creatures as pets?[/li][li]They are potentially dangerous: Some bite, some sting, some can strangle a full-grown man to death. It takes an expert to tell which snake is harmless and which is not, so we just avoid and kill them all![/li][li]Snakes are supposed to be evil[/li][/list]

So I don't like snakes and if you do please don't bring them near me! Though, at the same time, I'm curious to know why people keep snakes as pets. I mean, why keep a pet you can't actually pet?
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by whizkid(f): 8:12am On May 19, 2005
Just curious mamba, are you called mamba because of your love for snakes wink? First it was mouse, now snake??

I have watched movies where children keep non poisonous snakes and mice as pets but I have never heard or seen anybody out here in Nigeria do that.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by dominobaby(f): 8:33am On May 19, 2005
snakes? as pets? rolleyesdon't think so. Can't even stand the sight of a snake! The very second I would scream for help! For crying out loud they are dangerous and poisonous
Mamba how many snakes do you have and how do you consider them pets? Just how?
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by diakim(m): 9:56am On May 19, 2005
Now I know why you are bearing Mamba shocked

Snakes give me the creeps. I'd love to know how you relate with them, might be interesting.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by mamba(m): 8:24pm On May 19, 2005
trish:

Just curious mamba, are you called mamba because of your love for snakes wink ??
I never thought of that, my nickname and the topic name having something in common
Well sha, I'm just curious about snakes because they're dreaded creatures, that's where the nickname comes from.
But hey, that was way back in secondary school.
BTW, I'm a cool guy, before people start thinking otherwise.

An average Nigerian will see a snake, hunt it till death and probably make a delicious meal out of it while an average American or Indian will capture it and turn it into a pet, this shows how scared of snakes Nigerians are and how creative they can be in the kitchen with a snake.

If you've ever made a meal from snake meat please feel free to tell us how it's prepared and how it tastes. BTW, I've tasted it b4 and it's delicious, just like turkey.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Seun(m): 8:48pm On May 19, 2005
Mamba, I don't think an average American will keep a snake as a pet. Most people hate snakes.

Mambas are [I]very[/I] dangerous snakes:
"Mambas are tree dwelling, extremely rapidly moving snakes of Africa. They are highly venomous, their venom containing neurotoxins, which can be fatal to humans without access to proper first aid and subsequent antivenom treatment." (Wikipedia)

Have you ever heard about those snakes that actually chase human beings? Is it possible that those people are referring to this group of snakes?
[img width=160]http://www.whozoo.org/chimage.php3?image=GMambaHead081302_1046C.jpg[/img]
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by legry(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2005
Are you people kidding me SNAKES erghhhhhh how disgusting, they are slimy, evil eyed looking, crawling, poisonus, creepy things (i wont even call them animals) that should be caged up for life. Please someone should talk to mamba about dogs or even parrots
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by dominobaby(f): 5:10pm On May 20, 2005
seun:

Mamba, I don't think an average American will keep a snake as a pet.
"Mambas are tree dwelling, extremely rapidly moving snakes of Africa.  They are highly venomous, their venom containing neurotoxins, which can be fatal to humans without access to proper first aid and subsequent antivenom treatment." (Wikipedia)

Mamba, Mamba! which Mamba now?  tongue
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by whizkid(f): 5:15pm On May 20, 2005
dominobaby:

seun link=topic=249.msg1893#msg1893 date=1116532088:

Mamba, I don't think an average American will keep a snake as a pet.
"Mambas are tree dwelling, extremely rapidly moving snakes of Africa.  They are highly venomous, their venom containing neurotoxins, which can be fatal to humans without access to proper first aid and subsequent antivenom treatment." (Wikipedia)

Mamba, Mamba! which Mamba now?  tongue

Very funny. First mamba, Mamba of Nairaland forum, Second mamba, mamba the snake smiley cheesy grin Seun correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by dominobaby(f): 5:26pm On May 20, 2005
trish:

Very funny. First mamba, Mamba of Nairaland forum, Second mamba, mamba the snake smiley cheesy grin Seun correct me if I'm wrong.

you caught the flow gurlfriend!
Hmmmmm.............. Mamba!
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by mamba(m): 5:30pm On May 20, 2005
Mamba, Mamba, Mamba, Mamba, Mamba is everywhere and allover in this thread,
[I]I no dey o![/I]
when some people start dreaming about Mambas chasing them up and down,
[I]no be me o![/I]
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Allenpowered(m): 3:47pm On May 23, 2005
mamba, u no get any snake lover. well sha, I be big time rolleyessnake hater. I can't stand the sight tongue

so what do u like about snakes apart from the natural human aversion for them?

also I'll like to know how many pet snakes do u have, how do feed them, do u actually walk them like I'll walk a dog( I came across a new patented snake leash sometimes ago- people don dey crase!!!)

maybe if u tell us whats so spectacular about snakes we may get to start liking them(but I don't know how I can!) rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by diakim(m): 1:32pm On May 24, 2005
Mamba, why are you keeping us in suspense? Please tell us about your snakes; we we want to know how you relate with them. rolleyes
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by dominobaby(f): 4:01pm On May 25, 2005
mamba: This thread is for those of us who own or have owned pet snakes at one time or the other grin

I am afraid, mamba. None of us, at least those who replied, own or have owned a snake. We are waiting, because I really am anxious to know how you actually pet them.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Allenpowered(m): 9:50am On Jun 09, 2005
mamba what happened...mamba got your tongue?

abeg reply
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by IAH(f): 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2005
Snakes I just can't start to imagine...
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 12:26am On Jun 13, 2005
mamba:

This thread is for those of us who own or have owned pet snakes at one time or the other grin
Feel free to tell us about your snakes and what you like about them, what do you feed them, are they poisonous, non-poisonous or defanged rolleyes?

BTW, If you don't own a snake and you're not a snake lover please tell us why you hate snakes

I had 5 snakes at one point. A friend of mine had up to 20. Some even keep poisonous snakes. Nigerians are too scared of snakes
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Allenpowered(m): 10:08am On Jun 14, 2005
obong, abi na boa be your name...you and mamba na from planet of snakes...

ok, since mamba has refused to answer our queries , maybe oboa, sorry obong will educate us why they love snakes, what they feed them, how they cope and how they are not related to snakes tongue

1 Like

Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by mamba(m): 10:49am On Jun 14, 2005
Ok thank God there's someone here that has 5 snakes.

Well, I had some 3 years ago, it was a poisonous snake that crawled into our compound and started shedding skin and littered its offspring’s allover our compound.

I captured the cobra and was trying to keep it somehow but everyone in my house was so scared and kept warning me to get rid of the snakes or else they'll run away from the house, I refused to let it go.

One Sunday evening, I came back home shocked to find out that my snake had been killed by our meguard and was being processed to be used for Okra soup. I was mad and later realized that my Mom gave the order that they should kill the snake and get rid of the smaller ones.

I was very sad indeed...

I'm still waiting for another one to crawl in again, this time I'm keeping it for good.....
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Seun(m): 11:48am On Jun 14, 2005
grin

Is this a true story?
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by legs(f): 7:01pm On Jun 14, 2005
i for one would love to know
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 3:50am On Jun 15, 2005
Allenpowered:

obong, [I]abi na [/I] boa [I]be your [/I] name...you and mamba [I]na from [/I] planet of snakes...

ok, since mamba has refused to answer our queries , maybe oboa, sorry obong will educate us why they love snakes, what they feed them, how they cope and how they are not related to snakes tongue

I just remembered, i had 6. But one died. I dont know how i started, but once i feel in love with them I was addicted. I had a madagascar round boa, ball python, 2 pine snakes (one male, one female--the male was albino) and a young white rat snake that died and a carpet python from australia.

Snakes are incredibly interesting and different. I'll introduce my kids to them so they aren't afraid of themlike a lot of nigerians are. Teaches you alot about natue. But then again, i always loved animals so it wasnt a strecth for me

I fed my snakes mice, rats and chicken. Some snakes have specific diets and want eat certain food so you have to teach them to like it
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 3:53am On Jun 15, 2005
mamba:

Ok thank God there's someone here that has 5 snakes.

Well, I had some 3 years ago, it was a poisonous snake that crawled into our compound and started shedding skin and littered its offspring’s allover our compound.

I captured the cobra and was trying to keep it somehow but everyone in my house was so scared and kept warning me to get rid of the snakes or else they'll run away from the house, I refused to let it go.

One Sunday evening, I came back home shocked to find out that my snake had been killed by our meguard and was being processed to be used for Okra soup. I was mad and later realized that my Mom gave the order that they should kill the snake and get rid of the smaller ones.

I was very sad indeed...

I'm still waiting for another one to crawl in again, this time I'm keeping it for good.....

You shouldnt mess with cobra unless you are skilled, or you have had it surgically fixed so it cant produc venom. Some people inject themselves with the venom to increase immunity, but thats not needed
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Allenpowered(m): 8:32am On Jun 15, 2005
man this is a serious issue...
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2005
I am considering opening a small zoo, just for snakes. Do you think people will come?
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by Angelgal(f): 3:08pm On Jun 17, 2005
Obong! You've gotta be kidding me......man you are on your own oo...

Mamba might probably like the idea of a snake zoo...

Perharps both of you should get together and discuss this creepy business.....

Na waaa....
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 2:09am On Jun 18, 2005
Thats precisely why I want to create one. It would help people get over their fears and teach people about these animals. They can help in medicine as well.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by dominobaby(f): 5:11pm On Jun 18, 2005
Allenpowered:

obong, [I]abi na [/I] boa [I]be your [/I] name...you and mamba [I]na from [/I] planet of snakes...

Allenpowered you are funny, lol you beat me to that.

@Mamba, so you need a fellow 'snake lover' like you to untie your tongue hun?

Ok o, both of you are in a world of your own - world of snakes. Oya start to PM yourself on this "Snake Zoo Biz"
Let me give you a name: OBOMAMBA ZOO - cool name for snakes. tongue
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by obong(m): 5:41pm On Jun 19, 2005
I'll probably call it "Uruk-Ikot: The Calabar Snake Farm", or something like that. You guys should be my first guests.
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by legs(f): 8:00pm On Aug 20, 2005
@ Obong... O.Y.O !
Re: Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes by layi(m): 5:16pm On Aug 21, 2005
guests ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Lagos Area-Boys Drink Ogogoro? (Video) / Rainy Season Vs Dry Season / Interesting Fact And Mystery About Number 27

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.