Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,385 members, 7,822,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! (51433 Views)

Create A Pool Of Encouragement, Enthusiasm And Motivation For Yourself / TEAM PROCTOR[INSPIRATION AND Motivation]-unleashing All Hidden Potentials-#hftf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Mikwus(f): 11:48am On Aug 03, 2015
Did I steal your poem?

Originally mine and will remain so. Well, thought with my brain
Ademat7:
for proper referencing pls put ur name even if just ur first name to avoid plagiarism #BuhariEra
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Ademat7(m): 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
menzo4u:

This is indeed a great thread, I must confess. Please I am about to embark on the same "journey" in school as an ND1 student (fresher).

We resumed some months ago, and I also want to start giving career talks in the class, starting from tomorrow, but I am crippled by the fear of failure and what people (fellow students) would say.

Please advice me on this. Thanks.
I have done same thing b4 in my undergrad days let me share a few things that make it successful *people know u than u think they know;hence ur image n name goes a long way toward your success *dnt be like a motivational speaker who talk about dry lines like 'impossibility exist in the dictionary alone' what I mean is dnt be theoretical but be practical. *if u dnt knw how to crack jokes learn it cos u will need it to catch attention when lecture bcomes boring. *inform some peeps abt ur idea b4 u start like sampling their opinion abt d idea stuff cos dis is democracy era *lastly pray about it God will give u direction
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Ademat7(m): 1:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
Mikwus:
Did I steal your poem?

Originally mine and will remain so. Well, thought with my brain
u dnt get me,I mean in case anyone want to copy it he/she may know the name to include as reference. It's to protect ur write up,so u get my point?
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2015
Ademat7:
I have done same thing b4 in my undergrad days let me share a few things that make it successful *people know u than u think they know;hence ur image n name goes a long way toward your success *dnt be like a motivational speaker who talk about dry lines like 'impossibility exist in the dictionary alone' what I mean is dnt be theoretical but be practical. *if u dnt knw how to crack jokes learn it cos u will need it to catch attention when lecture bcomes boring. *inform some peeps abt ur idea b4 u start like sampling their opinion abt d idea stuff cos dis is democracy era *lastly pray about it God will give u direction

Thanks for the above. I'll be more grateful if you could write more fully. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Mikwus(f): 3:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
Thanks though,

My bad.

Ademat7:
u dnt get me,I mean in case anyone want to copy it he/she may know the name to include as reference. It's to protect ur write up,so u get my point?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
So true.

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
Forty years is just 10 World Cups away. Take your life very seriously. Pursue your goals. This is August already, and soon we shall land, by His grace, in 2016.

It's never to late to start. Time runs. The best time to have planted a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is NOW. Start something. You'll never regret for starting TODAY.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by BrightForYou(m): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
It is better to have a 10% of something than to have a 100% of nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
dearpreye:

We're happy you're joining the boat of personal development and growth. We just have to work harder on ourselves.

I know stage fright is real and can go along way in scuttling our ambitions. From the first page I stated how I also was paralysed by my fear of failure as far as creating this thread was concerned. I paid more attention to failure than the benefits it could bring to people. That thought kept me lazying around for weeks. Thanks to God I was able to overcome it.

Well, you could gradually by talking to your room mates first. ...then seek to increase and widen the audience as time goes on. Try to speak on an area you're well knowledgeable. No matter how prepared you are, you are likely to still feel that tension in the opening minutes. Talk to your mirror over and over again. Practise. Focus on the goal, not the difficulty.

Cc : bare1, ideykwum
It was indeed a great day today as I started the motivational talks as promised.
I am going to do same tomorrow, do you have idea any topic that may be of more interest?
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 6:42pm On Aug 03, 2015
Ademat7:
Thanks a lot but your writeup just put me in a state of dilema as you speak more in parable *lol*
Please can you expatiate more on the bolded? Thanks. (Especially the first bolded)
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2015
menzo4u:

It was indeed a great day today as I started the motivational talks as promised.
I am going to do same tomorrow, do you have idea any topic that may be of more interest?

That was indeed very great. An act is greater than 20000 words. I'm very proud of you. By now, it should be obvious that fear is just a ploy to rob your colleagues of the vital lessons they will gain from you.

I'm passionate about vision.....A lot of people don't have any vision; they simply live from day to day. You can do a little more reading on that topic and you're good to go.

Once again, fear has no power over you.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 7:04pm On Aug 03, 2015
dearpreye:

That was indeed very great. An act is greater than 20000 words. I'm very proud of you. By now, it should be obvious that fear is just a ploy to rob your colleagues of the vital lessons they will gain from you.

I'm passionate about vision.....A lot of people don't have any vision; they simply live from day to day. You can do a little more reading on that topic and you're good to go.

Once again, fear has no power over you.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement.
Please what do you understand from this statement in Adamat7's post as bolded.
*people know u than u think they know;hence ur image n name goes a long way toward your success *
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
menzo4u:

Thanks a lot for the encouragement.
Please what do you understand from this statement in Adamat7's post as bolded.
*people know u than u think they know;hence ur image n name goes a long way toward your success *

I think the person who dropped these words is in a better position to explain to us all. But I think the quote is more appropriate for people who have succeeded greatly in their chosen so much so that whenever their names are mentioned, people easily recognise them, and give them the respect due them. You might be yet to attain that level at the moment. The quote should actually encourage you to carve out a niche for yourself in this present world.

That's my own version of the words.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:52pm On Aug 03, 2015
@Menzo4u Be careful who you sample your idea with, as many people are guilty of not moving forward themselves. If you speak to a person comfortable with being stagnant, then what advise can they offer you about growth. If you speak to someone who doesn't find the desire to be better, they most likely would not want you to be better. So many influences on your mind eventually leads to procrastination or poor decision making.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2015
menzo4u:

Congratulations on crossing that first step, I am proud of your courage. I am sure you would come to find it easier, more fun and much more motivated to keep going. Kudos Sir.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
bare1:

Congratulations on crossing that first step, I am proud of your courage. I am sure you would come to find it easier, more fun and much more motivated to keep going. Kudos Sir.

I'm delighted myself. That very first step is very crucial in building our confidence in public speaking. I salute his courage.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 8:42pm On Aug 03, 2015
dearpreye:

I'm delighted myself. That very first step is very crucial in building our confidence in public speaking. I salute his courage.

True....from now on he is sure to go smoothly from there as he must have gained some admirers for himself who would go a long way(subconsciously) to promote him/his cause.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2015
To
bare1:

Thank you very much....my topic for tomorrow will be "Solving Problems"...May God help me.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2015
menzo4u:
To

Thank you very much....my topic for tomorrow will be "Solving Problems"...May God help me.

The pleasure is mine as I share in the excitement of your success. Go for it....Godspeed my brother. smiley
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by freeage7(m): 9:02pm On Aug 03, 2015
If u don't believe in the master then it will be difficult for u to understand the masterplan...TD jakes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 04, 2015
Without a deliberate and conscious effort from us, we can hardly succeed in this life. Only a tiny number of people succeeds by sheer luck. Success requires thinking, planning, action and rethinking. We must be determined to be useful to ourselves and our society.

If we live ANY HOW, we will see ANY HOW. We must live will the end in view. Success doesn't come by mere wishful thinking.

Have a great day, and good morning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:08am On Aug 04, 2015
If you give a little love, you can get a little love of your own.
I wish I could send this out to every single person, but to whoever I can, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-HBl2TVtI

Have a blessed day!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
dearpreye:

That very first step is very crucial in building our confidence in public speaking.
I thank God for today, your moral support and encouragement has kept me going.

I will like to share my challenge and experience with you and others in relation to what happened when I was delivering my speech today.

When I started, everyone kept making noise and seems not to be listening to me, it was as if the audience was simply not in my favour.

After the speech delivery, I called a guy who also shares in my vision to ask him about what I needed to improve on, and his reply goes thus," First you need to gain their attention before starting your speech delivery".

Then I asked him,"How can I gain their (audience) attention?" But his reply was too vague for my comprehension.

Please how can I gain the attention of my fellow students (audience) before delivering my speech so that they can listen to me. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2015
menzo4u:

I thank God for today, your moral support and encouragement has kept me going.

I will like to share my challenge and experience with you and others in relation to what happened when I was delivering my speech today.

When I started, everyone kept making noise and seems not to be listening to me, it was as if the audience was simply not in my favour.

After the speech delivery, I called a guy who also shares in my vision to ask him about what I needed to improve on, and his reply goes thus," First you need to gain their attention before starting your speech delivery".

Then I asked him,"How can I gain their (audience) attention?" But his reply was too vague for my comprehension.

Please how can I gain the attention of my fellow students (audience) before delivering my speech so that they can listen to me. Thanks.

Once again, I'm delighted at your ongoing success story. The more we practise, the better we become at whatever we're doing.

Well, to a very large extent, the means you can deploy to capture the attention of your audience depends on the type of audience you're dealing with. In this particular situation, starting off with a short but profound story could be a very effective means. A joke could also suffice. You could even share your own relevant and captivating story. Or ask a rhetorical thought- provoking question.

Cc: bare1
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 6:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
dearpreye:

Once again, I'm delighted at your ongoing success story. The more we practise, the better we become at whatever we're doing.

Well, to a very large extent, the means you can deploy to capture the attention of your audience depends on the type of audience you're dealing with. In this particular situation, starting off with a short but profound story could be a very effective means. A joke could also suffice. You could even share your own relevant and captivating story. Or ask a rhetorical thought- provoking question.

Cc: bare1
Actually, I am addressing fellow students, they are my audience, although as time goes on, I will extend it to other classes.
Thanks a lot, I have really picked some points in your post. (More blessing)

So tomorrow as you suggested, my topic will be VISION...please I need your hints to backup my own findings.

What are the areas I really need to dig into?
What can I really say that will really motivate them?etc

Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
menzo4u:

Actually, I am addressing fellow students, they are my audience, although as time goes on, I will extend it to other classes.

So tomorrow as you suggested, my topic will be VISION...please I need your hints to backup my own findings.

Thanks.

Ask a few of them to tell you what their vision for life is. You should have known yours na. .LOL!

A vision is that purpose for which they were created by God. What motivates them most is their vision. It goes beyond academics. It's goes beyond certificates. It goes beyond their degrees. If any can't tell you their vision in a minute, you can safely conclude they have NO vision.

Most of us just live from day to day. We don't even a vision for a week. We don't even have the faintest idea of what we want to become. Getting a degree doesn't automatically translate into having a vision. Our wealth and fame are embedded in our vision.

Life's beyond academics. ...beyond the four walls of the higher Institution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 6:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
dearpreye:

Ask a few of them to tell you what their vision for life is. You should have known yours na. .LOL!

A vision is that purpose for which they were created by God. What motivates them most is their vision. It goes beyond academics. It's goes beyond certificates. It goes beyond their degrees. If any can't tell you their vision in a minute, you can safely conclude they have NO vision.

Most of us just live from day to day. We don't even a vs ion for a week. We don't even the faintest idea of what we want to become. Getting a degree doesn't automatically translate into having a vision. Our wealth and fame are embedded in our vision.

Life's beyond academics. ...beyond the four walls of the higher Institution.
Wow! You are an inspiration to humanity
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 6:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
menzo4u:

Thanks.

Well done Sir! You seem to be doing great in your speech as it seems you are more in control now.

About catching your audience's attention, I think you should be spontaneous. Focus on your subject and place yourself in the audience, then ask yourself those questions that need answers. Say vision for example, what are those rewards of having a vision? Many people desire success, so starting with some sort of punchline concerning what they want would arouse interest.

About motivating them, people get motivated by success stories. Learn about successful people - especially those with peculiar stories - and their march to success. Give them your own experiences too to challenge them. Motivation is to the mind, as food is to the stomach. It is required in daily doses to prompt action, so serve it to them everyday.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2015
bare1:

Well done Sir! You seem to be doing great in your speech as it seems you are more in control now.

About catching your audience's attention, I think you should be spontaneous. Focus on your subject and place yourself in the audience, then ask yourself those questions that need answers. Say vision for example, what are those rewards of having a vision? Many people desire success, so starting with some sort of punchline concerning what they want would arouse interest.

About motivating them, people get motivated by success stories. Learn about successful people - especially those with peculiar stories - and their march to success. Give them your own experiences too to challenge them. Motivation is to the mind, as food is to the stomach. It is required in daily doses to prompt action, so serve it to them everyday.

Boss, I bow. Your head dey there. Menzo4u, confirm you copy!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
bare1:

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:21pm On Aug 04, 2015
dearpreye:

Boss, I bow. Your head dey there. Menzo4u, confirm you copy!

I doff my hat for you brother smiley
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2015
menzo4u:

Thanks a lot.

The pleasure is all mine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Workers At Indomie Cry Out: 'We've Not Been Allowed To Leave For Six Months' / Amanda Azubuike Promoted To Brig. General Of The US Army / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.