Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (128182 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FILEBE(m): 10:18pm On Nov 03, 2010
@AJANLEKOKO
Pls o! i studied Electrical Engineering too at school and i am about running my I.T programme. i sincerely wouldn't mind if u help me with it, as you have had a lot experience i the field
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by nanachi: 9:32am On Nov 08, 2010
pls can anybody help me out with project topics and materials on any microprocessor based project.my email is nomsyks@yahoo.com.thanks
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by nanachi: 9:43am On Nov 08, 2010
pls i also need websites were i can search for project materials.thanks.nomsyks@yahoo.com
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:28am On Nov 08, 2010
nanachi:

pls can anybody help me out with project topics and materials on any microprocessor based project.my email is nomsyks@yahoo.com.thanks
making a request on a forum and expecting people to mail you back in answer to your request is just plain lazy. . .

http://www.electro-tech-online.com

it has a microcontroller sub board it was useful during my time (if you search well, you fit even see where dem bin the taci me say i no fit be engineering student grin)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 7:39pm On Nov 13, 2010
House, i hope those Companies that are going to take over PHCN, will give us the opportunity to come in to express our ideals in the power sector. pls can someone help me with the detials of anyof the company. via, chapi06j@yahoo.com.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2010
^^^for the companies interested in the management contract for transmission: Power Grid of India, ESB International of Ireland, and Manitoba Hydro of Canada that was the last i heard.

for generation and distribution, there's no way we'll know until the govt announces the process has begun now. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 8:35pm On Nov 14, 2010
@ netotse, thank u. Pls, can u give me detail contact of dis companies? And any new development.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 9:06pm On Nov 14, 2010
Chapi:

@ netotse, thank u. Pls, can u give me detail contact of dis companies? And any new development.
you ought to be able to search them out on the internet now. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Foxflames: 3:57pm On Nov 19, 2010
Are there any jobs that in Nigeria that requires microelectronics?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2010
Foxflames:

Are there any jobs that in Nigeria that requires microelectronics?

If you're talking about pcb design and manufacture, embedded systems design, chip design, etc, no of course not.
Can you clarify?

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Foxflames: 1:04pm On Nov 20, 2010
@ AjanleKoko

Yeah, I am referring to those sort of stuffs like chip design, embedded systems design.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 11:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
@ netotse thanks, i ve gotten their site. Just that no job advert there.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:09am On Nov 22, 2010
Chapi:

@ netotse thanks, i ve gotten their site. Just that no job advert there.
hey. . .

you could write up a nice cover letter for your CV and mail it to them, there's nothing to be lost in doing that, or is there?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by nanachi: 10:19am On Nov 22, 2010
Pls i need help on the mechanism of an electronic keypad digital door lock or biometric door lock or someone refering me to a company in nig.dat produces it.i'm workin on it.thanks
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dave07(m): 7:42pm On Dec 07, 2010
@Ajalenkoko
I want to realy commend you on a good job you are doing here and realy netotse and others have been sharing wonderful post too. I almost quit nairaland somrtimes back cos of some abuses and lack of decorum I find on most threads, but this section endeared me more to the site, so that even when I stopped posting messages, i always checked on this section as a guest. Pls continue to make this thread unique!
Iam an Electrical Engr. in the nation's main power sector industry (Transmission sector), had HND Electrical (Power &machines),2000; Nigerian society of Engineers Graduateship Exam, 2003 and a corporate member of NSE. Have been working in PHCN since 2001 (had some stint in the distribution sector, Grid metering now Market operations Hq and am presently in systems operations and by the side also working with the protection & control crew.
I have just completed a certificate course in Power systems protections from EIT/IDC south africa (e-learning) and am currently enrolled for the M.Sc Electrical power system by distance learning from the University of Bath.
Iam targetting specialization in Substation automation because we are gradually moving to the boom of the power sector and one must be well positioned for this.
it's not been easy running some of the programmes I've done so far but the fact that all our institution of learning in the country are realy not prepared for the training of engineers in the current emerging technologies, every engineer worth his salt must in nigeria must go an extra mile in order to stay relevant. this is my brief. thanks
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:00pm On Dec 07, 2010
dave07:

@Ajalenkoko
I want to realy commend you on a good job you are doing here and realy netotse and others have been sharing wonderful post too. I almost quit nairaland somrtimes back cos of some abuses and lack of decorum I find on most threads, but this section endeared me more to the site, so that even when I stopped posting messages, i always checked on this section as a guest. Pls continue to make this thread unique!
Iam an Electrical Engr. in the nation's main power sector industry (Transmission sector), had HND Electrical (Power &machines),2000; Nigerian society of Engineers Graduateship Exam, 2003 and a corporate member of NSE. Have been working in PHCN since 2001 (had some stint in the distribution sector, Grid metering now Market operations Hq and am presently in systems operations and by the side also working with the protection & control crew.
I have just completed a certificate course in Power systems protections from EIT/IDC south africa (e-learning) and am currently enrolled for the M.Sc Electrical power system by distance learning from the University of Bath.
Iam targetting specialization in Substation automation because we are gradually moving to the boom of the power sector and one must be well positioned for this.
it's not been easy running some of the programmes I've done so far but the fact that all our institution of learning in the country are realy not prepared for the training of engineers in the current emerging technologies, every engineer worth his salt must in nigeria must go an extra mile in order to stay relevant. this is my brief. thanks
hey. . .thanks, which region are you? we just might have crossed paths, you never know. . .i know a couple of people that went to Bath for their Msc's sef, one's currently undergoing his NYSC at Apo work centre(Abuja sub-region). You're right though, substation automation is the future. I know a couple of SCADA guys in Shiroro sef, some of them were operators before. . .

welcome to the thread, hope we see more of your posts. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dave07(m): 9:36am On Dec 08, 2010
@netotse
I've read some of your post and discovered you've been here before but I cant say if our paths av realy crossed. Iam presently under Osogbo region carved out from Lagos. yes a couple of our guys are into SCADA, but the major work is still currently being handled by contractors especially Siemens. Bath runs a distance learning M.sc in Power systems, you only get to travel for residential schools thrice (each lasting five days).I believe Siemens Nigeria will soon begin training course specially tailored for the power sector. Thanks too
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 9:59am On Dec 08, 2010
you're at osogbo?. . .means you guys have my former SRTM engr Nwachukwu(that guy na something else undecided). . .yep i used to chill with the guy commissioning the scada while i was in Shiroro, you might know his boss(his name starts with M i think he's from one of them central african countries) he(the boss) spent more time in Osogbo than Shiroro although it might have been at the NCC, the guy at Shiroro(ghanian dude) just left for glo ghana, dunno how it'll affect you guys sha. . .maybe i should find out about that distance learning thing sef. . .

I've been to the NCC once in 2007(or 2006), we saw Engr Ishola then,( the guy didn't let us see the MMIs sha), then the switchyard adjacent to the NCC was underconstruction.

mennn you can like to holler if you're coming to abj anytime soon o. . .it'd be really cool if we could hook up as per say you be my bros for the power system.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2010
Netotse & Dave07, that is interesting. It is a pleasure meeting guys like you. Pls you guys should help carry us the young one along in this our career. @netotse thanks 4 the other day. I ve started making contact. Any other info. Pls link me up. @Dave07, i was told that HND graduate are not allow to join nse. Pls clarify me. Thanks.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dave07(m): 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2010
@netotse
Iam directly under a the sub-region linked to  Osogbo and may not realy know those guys xcept ur man  Engr Nwachukwu who is now the RTM, Osogbo, the SCADA people have undergone a lot of transformation with new people lately. I'd remember to give you a call when next I come to ABJ.
you can check out this link for the DL programme
http://www.bath.ac.uk/elec-eng/eps/dl/

@Chapi
During my time HND holders wrote the NSE graduation Exams (a two-part exam run annualy). it had the similar sylabus with most PGD in Engineering in Nigerian University,only that it was an external exam model and lot of people then hardly scaled through. On succesful completeion, one is awarded 'graduate engineer' then you apply for corporate membership, take the oral and written tests and if sucessful, you are taken in as a member.
However, Iam aware the NSEGE has been stopped, so you will need a PGD before applying for corporate membership of NSE and to be a Registered Engineer with Coren
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by koolboi(m): 11:45pm On Dec 12, 2010
i
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:33am On Dec 13, 2010
dave07:

@netotse
Iam directly under a the sub-region linked to  Osogbo and may not realy know those guys xcept your man  Engr Nwachukwu who is now the RTM, Osogbo, the SCADA people have undergone a lot of transformation with new people lately. I'd remember to give you a call when next I come to ABJ.
you can check out this link for the DL programme
http://www.bath.ac.uk/elec-eng/eps/dl/

@Chapi
During my time HND holders wrote the NSE graduation Exams (a two-part exam run annualy). it had the similar sylabus with most PGD in Engineering in Nigerian University,only that it was an external exam model and lot of people then hardly scaled through. On succesful completeion, one is awarded 'graduate engineer' then you apply for corporate membership, take the oral and written tests and if sucessful, you are taken in as a member.
However, Iam aware the NSEGE has been stopped, so you will need a PGD before applying for corporate membership of NSE and to be a Registered Engineer with Coren
@Dave07
morning. . .how's work?

when did you start your program? they say they designed it to take 3- 4 years, do you plan to finish it faster? Really nice idea sha, puts you in a very good position for when the management contractors come. I like the CPD option better though, maybe when i can afford it i'll take the market econs module(cant remember the exact name though). Are you coren certified?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 15, 2010
I need project topics on electrical engineering. Pls i need al of your help and advice on low cost projects
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dave07(m): 10:06am On Dec 20, 2010
morning. . .how's work?

when did you start your program? they say they designed it to take 3- 4 years, do you plan to finish it faster? Really nice idea sha, puts you in a very good position for when the management contractors come. I like the CPD option better though, maybe when i can afford it i'll take the market econs module(cant remember the exact name though). Are you coren certified?

fine,
you are allowed to finish within five years, but realy it takes 3yrs to complete with all the necessary residential schools, if you are going for the M.Sc. If you stop at PGD you may not need the 3rd residential, which is basocally for you to defend your project.
the CPD option is easier wrt funding.
yes Iam coren registered
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 20, 2010
hello please can anyone here help me with the formula for determining the accurate cable size for a 20kw ,55A three phase machine.I ll really appreciate any assistance.The distance between the gear switch and machine is 5m
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 2:00am On Dec 21, 2010
chukwudi44:

hello please can anyone here help me with the formula for determining the accurate cable size for a 20kw ,55A three phase machine.I ll really appreciate any assistance.The distance between the gear switch and machine is 5m

you didn't put the voltage. . .

anyways. . .use this link
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by tomdon(m): 8:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
Hello fellows I hail all. ajanlekoko oyb et al doing a gr8 job. I am determined of practicing in d power field but I wish to know if its only in phcn dat one can get to practice power or what do u experienced elders say to this. I currently work anD have experience in a solar company but I feel its not broad @all plus its not financially rewardind. Netose, Fellows in d house kindly help a brother
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2011
tomdon:

Hello fellows I hail all. ajanlekoko oyb et al doing a gr8 job. I am determined of practicing in d power field but I wish to know if its only in phcn dat one can get to practice power or what do u experienced elders say to this. I currently work anD have experience in a solar company but I feel its not broad @all plus its not financially rewardind. Netose, Fellows in d house kindly help a brother

@tomdon
mesef i'm just learning that it isn't only in PHCN that you can, i'm moving to a new company and i gather they have a 90MW coal plant, that would mean they need to have a lot of the departments that PHCN has, even if it's on a smaller scale. I think if you can get a company where you can learn solid technical skills it would serve you well when the privatization thingy gains steam, being in PHCN now might not be the best thing for you(they aren't employing through normal means so you'd have to come in as a casual if you dont have leg). I would advise getting solid technical/troubleshooting skills and if you still feel the same way about power when privatization gains steam then you can switch.

in the meantime you can still read up and keep abreast of developments in the power sector. When things kick in i'll holler on this thread so people that want to apply can, just keep in touch here

@dave07
happy new year o. . .what's good at your end?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by axeman85(m): 11:12am On Jan 12, 2011
@netotse.

pls how u dey/ pls want to contact you via email to ask for a vital info from you as per nysc. pls shoot me an email on bvjide@yahoo.com
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dave07(m): 9:12pm On Jan 13, 2011
@netotse
Happy new year my brother, we thank God and we are expecting greater things this year.
@axeman85, dont be discouraged by the present remuneration, but just try and learn all that you can for now. Presently in the nation's power sector sector, we are still way back technologically compared to what is obtainable in developing economies around the world. we are still battling with 'Quantity' and are yet to start discusing quality, standards and power industry best practices.
Brush up on your Electronics too cos today's power industry goes along with electronics and computing. Wishing you all the best. Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (35) (Reply)

About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.