Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today (24551 Views)

Ministerial List: September Deadline Stands – Presidency (Today.ng) / Unfortunately, Joy Ogwu Can't Be Sacked Or Recalled By The Fed. Govt. - Read Why / Buhari Team Accuse Ambassador Joy Ogwu Of Sabotage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
ABUJA – Nigeria will today, assume the one-month rotational Presidency of the United Nations (UN) Security Council as the country’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Prof. Joy Ogwu, takes over from Ambassador Gerard van Bohemen, the Permanent Representative of New Zealand, who held the Presidency for the month of July, 2015.

In a statement yesterday, by the Spokesperson to Mrs Ogwu, Dr. Tope Adeleye Elias-Fatile, said this will be the first time in the history of the UN that an elected member of the Security Council would assume presidency of the Council for the 4th time in two separate tenures within 5 years.

Nigeria was elected a non-permanent member of the Council on 17 October, 2013, and is serving for the period 2014 – 2015.

“This is the fifth time since independence that Nigeria has been elected to serve on this most powerful decision-making organ of the United Nations charged with the responsibility of maintaining international peace and security. Nigeria previously served on the Council from 1966 – 1967, 1978 – 1979, 1994 – 1995 and 2011 – 2012.

“Nigeria’s return to the Council in January 2014, after having left only in December 2012, represents one of the shortest periods in the annals of the United Nations that a Member State has spent between two terms on the Council. This is even more remarkable as it is occurring under the institutional memory of the same Permanent Representative, Ambassador U. Joy Ogwu.

“Nigeria currently holds the chair of two Security Council Committees: The Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2048 (2012) concerning Guinea-Bissau and Iraq Sanctions Committee pursuant to resolution 1518 (2003).

In addition, Nigeria is one of the three vice-chairs of the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1540 (2004), concerning the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and one of the two vice-chairs of the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1591 (2005) concerning Sudan,” it reads.

It said wide consultations with various stakeholders had begun on Monday 27th of July, 2015 towards Nigeria’s assumption of the presidency of the Council.

“With the support of other members of the Council, Nigeria will use its month-long presidency to actively promote the cause of international peace and security in line with the principles of the UN Charter and the mandate of the Council,” the statement concluded.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/nigeria-assumes-un-security-council-presidency-today/#sthash.v3Df1h0Y.dpuf

7 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by sultan457: 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2015

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by AroOkigbo(m): 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
Nigeria will still be great!

sultan456 lipsrsealed
in short, be careful with your network tongue

The lady (??) below me is INTROVERT. For the first time, I got here before her grin

13 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by INTROVERT(f): 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 01, 2015
nice
Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Unsad(m): 2:35pm On Aug 01, 2015
New woman In the fold

2 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by ApcSucks: 2:47pm On Aug 01, 2015
Good
Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2015
Joy Ogwu will soon be replaced for her role in abstaining (being neutral just like Britain did) during the last SC vote for enforcement of Palestine's emergency boundaries.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 01, 2015
God bless FRN

Nigeria my Country
Hausa my Tribe

6 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by ogaontop(m): 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2015
Prof. Joy Ogwu is repping Nigeria well, unlike some recently recalled ambassadors!

5 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 01, 2015
ogaontop:
Prof. Joy Ogwu is repping Nigeria well, unlike some recently recalled ambassadors!
Smh

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by CSTR2: 3:20pm On Aug 01, 2015
I am waiting for the first slowpoke that will attribute this to buhari.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by stevnwigw: 3:23pm On Aug 01, 2015
pls she should use this opportunity to hear the case of Biafra cessation from Nigeria

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 01, 2015
CSTR2:

Where were you when it was attributed to GEJ the last time Nigeria was sitting on the same chair last year?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
What are the benefits of the Presidency when the BIG 5 have the final say in all matters

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by CSTR2: 3:31pm On Aug 01, 2015
Yevgeny:

Where were you when it was attributed to GEJ the last time Nigeria was sitting on the same chair last year?
I was at imperial college ,london, studying for my chemical engineering post- graduate programme on scholarship.
The fact that others acted as moronns in the past, shouldn't make you act the same.

29 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by steppin: 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
Since the daura dullardd won't appoint Igbos in his
abokii cabinet, the rest of the world seems to notice the
importance of the Igbos.
Kudos to Joy Ogwu.
Nl rats can quote freely, it's allowed.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by candidbabe(f): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
Kudos to her

3 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by deebsman1(m): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
Nice

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Evathyst(f): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
See how this spokesperson carry such ceremonial appointment for head as if na one kind better thing.

Oya, if the newly elected president of Security Council get liver, make she dismantle ISIS within that her one month appointment.

What am I even saying self, is it not the same UN where Americas one security vote equals 99 votes or more? Mtcheew!

Next news abeg!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by busyflexz(m): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
Ok...

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by fabmuazu7(m): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
More women will be appointed in Great places.

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by VICALUFUO(m): 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
wishing papillo,myself and van vicker happy birthday. There is something in common btw us.

3 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
CSTR2:
Joins you....

1 Like

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by ijbeauty(f): 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
A plus to our dear country Nigeria....

God bless her and all who work tirelessly to move this country forward..
Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by freedom96: 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
What are the benefits of the Presidency when the BIG 5 have the final say in all matters
when a wailing wailer goes international grin

She wants to comment on international politics cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by KinkyAngela(f): 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
I hope Professor Joy Ogwu will use her lofty position as the President of the United Nations Security Council to help the igbos accomplish their biafra ambition.

Biafra Republic must be actualised in Jesus name. Amen

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by fejikudz(m): 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
stevnwigw:
pls she should use this opportunity to hear the case of Biafra cessation from Nigeria
LOL cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
That's nice
Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
fabmuazu7:
More women will be appointed, have faith in the right President
Ode... Buhari appointed her as the President?

22 Likes

Re: Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today by janvier27(m): 3:45pm On Aug 01, 2015
Thank God there are still some appointments that are purely on merit.

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SSS Ejects Kayode Are From Home In Lagos / Prof. Wole Soyinka To Buhari, Convene An Emergency Economic Conference / Igbo Quit Notice: I Have The Support Of My Elders, Yerima Replies Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.