Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,343 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls (41930 Views)

Naira Falls Towards N400-$1 As Electioneering Resumes / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / Stopped. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 400billionman: 8:24am On Aug 04, 2015
manny4life:
If they continue to stifle Forex, it's only a matter of time before the bubble burst.

This is just a market manipulation which few people will take advantage of.

Though if banks keep rejecting dorm account deposits, it will last long..
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:26am On Aug 04, 2015
owagbeba:

Thank God there's a fellow business man on this forum.

I'm literally confused on how to pay oversea partners at the moment. And I can not tell them banks here have stopped outward remittance; they will freak out and recall the shipment. What do I do?

Same problem bro.. So many payments outstanding for things ordered, and Im stuck on how to send them.. Can get the dollars as cash easily, but no point if it cant be sent.. Its a big problem and Ive been brain storming with all our account officers.. no luck yet
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 989900: 8:29am On Aug 04, 2015
kaeforum:

I dont know where you get your info from, I tell you the rate offered by banks is still 224 naira to the dollar as at yesterday, your 209 to 1 dollar is the fictional rate similar to the 160 to 1 dollar announced last week by cbn, get your facts right and do research . Banks still do 224 to 1 dollar. top the hype. cheesy

This is the insane part.

But same banks are quick to adjust their rates higher when it rises at the parallel market
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by onatisi(m): 8:31am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

Same problem bro.. So many payments outstanding for things ordered, and Im stuck on how to send them.. Can get the dollars as cash easily, but no point if it cant be sent.. Its a big problem and Ive been brain storming with all our account officers.. no luck yet
there are 3ways about it. 1) is to relocate banking transactions to outside.which meNs you Will use your Nigerian Dom account to receive but transfer from outside Nigeria. 2)have someone do the transactions and transfer for you. 3)stop the transaction. Am I wrong?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:34am On Aug 04, 2015
onatisi:
there are 3ways about it. 1)

is to relocate banking transactions to outside.which meNs you Will use your Nigerian Dom account to receive but transfer from outside Nigeria.
(this is one option but its not so straight forward.. means you need to go to Ghana or nearby country with lots of USD cash and open an account and deposit it there.. Lets not forget you have to worry about customs, etc, its not so easy to come into another country with huge amounts of dollars.

2)have someone do the transactions and transfer for you.
(I have 3 guys in Lagos who you pay naira and they send dollars for you. As of friday none can send it anymore. They said the new policy has crippled them as well)

3)stop the transaction. Am I wrong?

(This means closing down the business. Not a good option)

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by onatisi(m): 8:38am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

to be honest my own brain dry hot now sef .i never knew this was the implications all along.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 989900: 8:39am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:
"Please note that this temporary measure, does not affect electronic transfer of funds into or from your domiciliary accounts and, you will continue to have access to foreign currency cash withdrawals from your account"

You're still confused. let me explain what they mean:

What this means is that people can send you FUNDS to your dom account from ABROAD(USA,Uk,ETC), and you can withdraw the funds you have as cash.

YOU CANNOT go to GTBANK and give them $10,000 cash and send out a wire.

I'm speaking from experience, afterall we have a gtbank dom account with high five figures and our account officer had a meeting with us telling us the bad news.

I will explain further if you need.

Bottom line is you have $10,000 cash, GTBANK will not touch it or send it to anyone. However, if you already have $10,00 in your account, they will let you access it.

You can also get deposits into your DOM ACCT, but only ELECTRONIC(WIRE TRANSFERS FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY).

Your $10,000 or $20,000 cash in your hand is useless. Hence why the dollar is dropping a lot.

That's crazy then! Especially, when you can't wire out from your Naira account too.

That would mean physically taking cash out to the 'Cotonous' to send -- for real?!

How does that work for big time industries?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:42am On Aug 04, 2015
989900:

That's crazy then! Especially, when you can't wire out from your Naira account too.

That would mean physically taking cash out to the 'Cotonous' to send -- for real?!

exactly.. If you dont understand/still confused, go to your bank with $100. Tell them you want to send it to a friend in USA, and see what they tell you.

Also, no you cant wire out Naira to any other country. That hasnt been possible for generations. You also can't exchange naira in UK, USA, etc. Its as good as toilet paper abroad.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by wristbangle: 8:45am On Aug 04, 2015
derecho:
Unfortunately, this means nothing to the poor man on the street. The price of foodstuffs hasn't reduced. The elections are over please. Nigerians are not interested in all these propagandas.This should translate to cheaper foodstuffs,we should buy kerosene cheaper than before if the refineries are now working.

You are right but one step @ a time bro.

Let's see the outcome of this transformation before the year ends. smiley
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by owagbeba: 8:45am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

exactly.. If you dont understand/still confused, go to your bank with $100. Tell them you want to send it to a friend in USA, and see what they tell you.

Also, no you cant wire out Naira to any other country. That hasnt been possible for generations. You also can't exchange naira in UK, USA, etc. Its as good as toilet paper abroad.

Bro, has anyone you know tried transferring from Cotonou? Is it easy?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by onatisi(m): 8:46am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

what about western union and money gram services in Nigeria?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by onatisi(m): 8:48am On Aug 04, 2015
owagbeba:

Bro, has anyone you know tried transferring from Cotonou? Is it easy?
very very easy
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:48am On Aug 04, 2015
onatisi:
what about western union and money gram services in Nigeria?

Not sure about that.. check and let me know.., however that doesnt help businesses. There's no way I can send out $20,000 or $50,000 usd via western union.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 989900: 8:49am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

So, basically what they mean by outward online transfers will only be CC and PP.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:49am On Aug 04, 2015
onatisi:
very very easy

then we need to talk more.. I urgently need to send some funds to one of our big suppliers abroad and I havent been able to sleep for days now..
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:51am On Aug 04, 2015
989900:

So, basically what they mean by outward online transfers will only be CC and PP.

My issue isnt sending funds you already have..My issue is that you cant deposit more dollars into your account or send any new money to anyone abroad.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 989900: 8:53am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

then we need to talk more.. I urgently need to send some funds to one of our big suppliers abroad and I havent been able to sleep for days now..

I know you can send western union from Cotonou, dunno about wire.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by slimfit1(m): 8:55am On Aug 04, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:
The only person who should be credited is the CBN govenor but the masturbators masturbate their thought into thinking its the dullard

Jonathan never cared about anything PMB's influence my brother forget oh its either he delivers or we force him out there are millions of Nigerians that can fill that gap. The governor knows the deal otherwise he is a gonna.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by 989900: 8:56am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

My issue isnt sending funds you already have..My issue is that you cant deposit more dollars into your account or send any new money to anyone abroad.

I mean you can make small payments from your Naira master card via credit card payment or Paypal online.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 8:57am On Aug 04, 2015
989900:

I mean you can make small payments from your Naira master card via credit card payment or Paypal online.

oh that.. that wont work for trying to pay suppliers in china, abroad , big dollars.

You cant order spare parts or raw materials with paypal or credit card, you need to send bank wires..

Besides thanks to CBN all your cards now have a combined yearly limit of $50,000 and $300/day atm limit
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by onatisi(m): 8:59am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

it is a simple process. But please kindly note I am only talking about transfer in the range of 1000 to 3000 dollars and only services of western union and money gram outward. But if u can get ppl in benin with Dom account they may help with higher transactions.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 9:13am On Aug 04, 2015
onatisi:
it is a simple process. But please kindly note I am only talking about transfer in the range of 1000 to 3000 dollars and only services of western union and money gram outward. But if u can get ppl in benin with Dom account they may help with higher transactions.

yeah so we are back to square one.. People who legitimately need to send funds abroad (buy a car, help family member out, spare parts, etc, re gonna suffer)

Its crazy whats happening but basically CASH dollars are now useless in Nigeria tongue
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by battleaxe: 9:21am On Aug 04, 2015
Based on the explainations made here, if not handled carefully, this might actually create another "black market" with possibly higher rates.

One where people in the diaspora with assess to foreign currencies are able to offer to transfer dollars on behalf of individuals, companies etc. for naira credit into their bank accounts back home in Nigeria.

As can be expected, rates would not be going for the official rates as the demand and supply curve would lead to greater demand than available supply, especially for businessmen who need parts or materials urgently, or even people with urgent medical needs outside the country. The end result would be rates possibly even higher than that being contended by the CBN.

Unfortuantely, as mentioned by jjman earlier, I believe this would lead to increased cost of doing business and eventual increased cost of commodities.

Is this a correct assumption?

2 Likes

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by sketcherJ(m): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2015
MOBBDEEP:

Decisions bordering on Financial Policy especially FOREX needs vetoing by the Executive Head.
The role of the Finance Minister & CBN Governor is strongly advisory, coordination & Intel provision.
So, you could understand where PMB comes in & why he needs to be credited small.

I reason why the past PDP administration didn't execute/implement this kind of solution/policy was because it stifles & devalues their loot.
Hence, they rejected that route because they love themselves more than us.

But I quite agree that it's not yet uhuru!!!

The real value of an economic system's fiduciary is mostly & truly determined by the products & services measured in terms of GDP/per capita income.

I still dey learn shá
hmmn..nice 1 professor
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 9:32am On Aug 04, 2015
battleaxe:
Based on the explainations made here, if not handled carefully, this might actually create another "black market" with possibly higher rates.

One where people in the diaspora with assess to foreign currencies are able to offer to transfer dollars on behalf of individuals, companies etc. for naira credit into their bank accounts back home in Nigeria.

As can be expected, rates would not be going for the official rates as the demand and supply curve would lead to greater demand than available supply, especially for businessmen who need parts or materials urgently, or even people with urgent medical needs outside the country. The end result would be rates possibly even higher than that being contended by the CBN.

Unfortuantely, as mentioned by jjman earlier, I believe this would lead to increased cost of doing business and eventual increased cost of commodities.

Is this a correct assumption?

lol funny you mention. my acct officer called now and said he found someone who can transfer dollars from usa. he has 20.000 and the rate is 265. I love my country lol

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by derecho(m): 9:39am On Aug 04, 2015
wristbangle:

You are right but one step @ a time bro.

Let's see the outcome of this transformation before the year ends. smiley
okay sir.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by battleaxe: 9:43am On Aug 04, 2015
@jjman, others
Can someone please confirm to me if interbank DOM account transfers are possible right now? Can i transfer dollar from my Zenith bank dollar account to @jjman's Diamond bank dollar account?

That is, can a BDC or aboki transfer dollars from his DOM account to mine, while I transfer naira back to his?

I guess the next problem though would be how the BDCs/aboki continue to have sufficient dollar inflows into their DOM accounts to maintain interbank transfers.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Eyop: 9:44am On Aug 04, 2015
battleaxe:
@jjman, others
Can someone please confirm to me if interbank DOM account transfers are possible right now? Can i transfer dollar from my Zenith bank dollar account to @jjman's Diamond bank dollar account?

That is, can a BDC or aboki transfer dollars from his DOM account to mine, while I transfer naira back to his?

I guess the next problem though would be how the BDCs/aboki continue to have sufficient dollar inflows into their DOM accounts to maintain interbank transfers.

Yes it is possible
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by jjman2322: 9:47am On Aug 04, 2015
Eyop:

Yes it is possible

no it's not. Dom accounts aren't on cbn clearing so you can't transfer from one bank to another. only within a bank. don't believe me call your bank now and ask them. this has never been possible and won't be possible anytime soon.

dollar can't be sent locally from one bank to another. simple.

besides bdc also now have a limit of 5000 and they need bvn before they can transact. the whole thing is a mess.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Eyop: 9:51am On Aug 04, 2015
jjman2322:

no it's not. Dom accounts aren't on cbn clearing so you can't transfer from one bank to another. only within a bank. don't believe me call your bank now and ask them. this has never been possible and won't be possible anytime soon.

dollar can't be sent locally from one bank to another. simple.

Then it means my Diamond bank account officer didn't know what he was saying. I contacted him yesterday on this issue and he confirmed that it is possible and that online transfer from one account to another isn't affected but cash deposit isn't allowed. I guess there's a mix up somewhere.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by owagbeba: 10:00am On Aug 04, 2015
onatisi:
very very easy
You mean without resident permit, I can crossover to Cotonou and do transfer -both TT and western union ?

Do customs at the border search people crossing over to Cotonou?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by battleaxe: 10:16am On Aug 04, 2015
@jjman
What is the problem with this scenario you posted in your last response?

besides bdc also now have a limit of 5000 and they need bvn before they can transact. the whole thing is a mess

If I run a BDC and I have DOM accounts in most major banks, I can do an intrabank dollar transfer to my customers dollar dom account while he transfers naira to me. I am assuming most honest nigerians should have a BVN now, so should not be a problem. $5k seems like a significant daily limit for an individual and I imagine companies would have a larger limit. They may need to do transactions over a few days to get enough but doable.

What am I missing? It seems there are solutions to the problem already?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why New Naira Notes Are Scarce – CBN Sources / Oil Prices Soar As OPEC+ Prepares To Cut Supplies / Live Display Of Animals At Okoko Market For Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.