Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships (1505 Views)

What Is The Ideal Age Gap If Age Really Matter In Relationships? / My Brother Think Am A Maga For Giving A Girl Recharge Card / Spending On A Girlfriend.Even Though We Have Not Had Sex.Am I a maga? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:11am On Aug 04, 2015
Maga; (Noun) A person that is either used or deceived by a smarter person.

No one wants to be taken for granted in a serious relationship and it is quite heartbreaking when you feel that your partner or someone you are dating is just using you for his or her own selfish purposes. The most typical Nigerian example is where a man who keeps spending huge sums of money on a woman that he is dating but the woman maltreats him by never calling/texting back, only going on expensive dates and not even bothering to store his number. Men too can be guilty of this by using women for only sex in a long-term relationship.

Here are five ways with which you can avoid being used like a tool in your relationship;

1) Don’t call/text excessively; Yes, you don’t like spam and so, why should your partner suffer the wrath of your spam? If you are someone that likes calling and texting a lot (over 5 times daily), please make sure that your partner is also someone who loves communicating the same way. You have to ask slyly if he/she would enjoy a lot of communication. Otherwise, you could be making your partner to make statements such as “this guy/girl is disturbing me again? Let me just ignore him/her this time!”

2) Don’t spend or give to easily (especially money and sex); When you give too easily, the thing you give out gets taken for granted. If you spend too much on your partner, you will become a bank to your partner. If you give sex too early when dating, the first and lasting perception of you by your partner will be “quick fuckbuddy” (well, unless you want one-night stands instead of serious relationships).

3) Give when it is deserved (practice give and take); This point is related to the above point in number 2. A gift is far more effective when there is reason for it because both sides are gaining something after offering another thing. For instance, a good rule is buying airtime/credit for a boyfriend/girlfriend who calls you a lot because you know that the person will always use the phone airtime to call you. Mutual relationship lasts longer because both sides have something to lose if they break up.

4) Learn the different ways to say “no”; This is a must when it comes to avoiding being abused by other people. If your partner is asking for something that will hurt you or leave you in an unfair position, gently find a good and rational excuse to avoid it. It is important to know that a direct “no” is not always the best response, an excuse might be better. For instance, if you are consistently being asked by your partner to buy a ridiculously expensive fashion item, you could always keep replying that it is against your taste or your principles or that you can’t afford it at the moment.

5) Assert yourself when it comes to your passion; There is no point being in a relationship when your partner does not do the things you like. However, you must first understand that your partner cannot do everything you like and that a relationship requires sacrifice, therefore, you must select the most important things you like out of the many you like for the relationship. After selecting the few most important things that you like and cannot do without, you must make sure that your partner appreciates them. There is no point being a musician and your partner never comes to see you perform.

Source
http://allnaijablog.com/5-ways-to-avoid-being-a-maga-in-relationships
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by Mrbee21(m): 8:34am On Aug 04, 2015
noted!!!!....#nyc rules to follow
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:36am On Aug 04, 2015
Mrbee21:
noted!!!!....#nyc rules to follow

Yes!
Say "no" to magarism grin grin
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by Dotwillis1(m): 8:40am On Aug 04, 2015
One way to avoid being a Maga: Use your brain when dealing with girls!
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:46am On Aug 04, 2015
Dotwillis1:
One way to avoid being a Maga: Use your brain when dealing with girls!

It is not that easy. Some people can use their own brain better than you. You need strong principles.
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by Feranchek(m): 9:27am On Aug 04, 2015
Hehehehe.... Gat this calabar chic j met on social media some time ago. Coincidentally, she was residing close to my crib (3 streets away)
We met and became acquitted with each other. I then told her I liked her and will like her to be my girlfriend (I hate beating around the bush). She neither said Yes or No. I didn't push it. Later, some months, I brought it up again and she reacted same way as she did the 1st time. Buh while the months passed, I was always giving her whatever she asked for in my little capacity hoping and praying she'll see it as a kind gesture and give me a chance (this babe fine die!!!) Buh na lie o0o0o! She never said a thing. A year later, I asked her again and she just use talk cover the matter, I kon reason am sey, e be like sey this babe wan use me do Maga while I'm on the friend zone. After reading from tosin and other romancelanders on how to know and leave the friend zone, I sharperly jumped out of there 1st. Now I'm slowly buh politely not being her Maga anymore. And you know the formation this babe dey use She won't ask you for 10k or 5k or big things. "I need 2k for one tin on school. I wan change my hair and na 1k.... bla bla bla" if you kon check am, in a month you don drop 5k for this babe.... WHAT??!!!!!!
For 3 weeks now she's been 'begging' me to 'bless' her (that was the word she used. Lol)

Buh, the coded NO, like the op said, is always helping me out grin grin
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:39am On Aug 04, 2015
Feranchek:
Hehehehe.... Gat this calabar chic j met on social media some time ago. Coincidentally, she was residing close to my crib (3 streets away)
We met and became acquitted with each other. I then told her I liked her and will like her to be my girlfriend (I hate beating around the bush). She neither said Yes or No. I didn't push it. Later, some months, I brought it up again and she reacted same way as she did the 1st time. Buh while the months passed, I was always giving her whatever she asked for in my little capacity hoping and praying she'll see it as a kind gesture and give me a chance (this babe fine die!!!) Buh na lie o0o0o! She never said a thing. A year later, I asked her again and she just use talk cover the matter, I kon reason am sey, e be like sey this babe wan use me do Maga while I'm on the friend zone. After reading from tosin and other romancelanders on how to know and leave the friend zone, I sharperly jumped out of there 1st. Now I'm slowly buh politely not being her Maga anymore. And you know the formation this babe dey use She won't ask you for 10k or 5k or big things. "I need 2k for one tin on school. I wan change my hair and na 1k.... bla bla bla" if you kon check am, in a month you don drop 5k for this babe.... WHAT??!!!!!!
For 3 weeks now she's been 'begging' me to 'bless' her (that was the word she used. Lol)

Buh, the coded NO, like the op said, is always helping me out grin grin

I'm glad that you escaped the maga trap.

I always tell people that relationship is a game. Even people that love you do not love you 100%. You gotta protect yourself
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 04, 2015
Be a mugu Thats how to avoid being a maga
Re: 5 Ways To Avoid Being A “maga” In Relationships by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:54am On Aug 04, 2015
2people:
Be a mugu
Thats how to avoid being a maga

I need to know the gbana you are smoking. It seems strong

(1) (Reply)

How Not To Chase A Married Woman / ...................? / Ladies I Need Ur Advice About My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.