Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari (1111 Views)

Hajiya Hadiza Is Dead! Sule Lamido's Daughter Dies In India (Photos) / Hajiya Yusuf Who Died At The Hajj Stampede Pictured With Oby Ezekwesili / Mohammed Wali Is Acting Chairman Of INEC, As Jega Leaves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 04, 2015
[img]http://www.olisa.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Amina-zakari.jpg[/img]Following the complain by various groups and regions about the appointment of the president, especially, the appointment of his close relative as INEC acting chairperson, the acting chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari, has explained the reason she will remain as the acting chairman of the commission.

According to a statement from INEC, she declared that despite the expiration of her tenure as a National Commissioner in the commission on July 21, “my letter of appointment as acting chairman claimed categorically I should act pending when a new commission is put in place.”

Hajiya Zakari, during an interview she granted Channels Television last week, at the commission’s headquarters, re-affirmed the commission’s commitment to its role of being an unbiased umpire in the electoral process.

She spoke on a wide range of issues, including her appointment, the commission’s preparedness for the forthcoming elections in Bayelsa and Kogi states, election tribunals, the Electoral Act and security.

“INEC is an independent organisation as enshrined in the constitution and all INEC staff are aware of that. We have all signed on to the oath of neutrality. So, I think as a Nigerian, your main concern should be when you are given a task, you should be conscious enough to remove your personal feeling from the job,” she said.

When asked about her response to the controversy surrounding her appointment, she responded thus: “I think we should not distract ourselves from the issues at hand. I have been in the commission. I am a National Commissioner. I passed through the Senate screening to become a National Commissioner, and by virtue of that, I am appointed acting chairman of the commission. So, there shouldn’t have been much controversy. But be it as may, I have a job to do and I am set to do that job.”

Meanwhile, following their success in ensuring the retention of Mrs Zakari at the helm of the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) so far, indications have emerged that some top politicians are already moving to make her the substantive boss of the electoral commission.

Investigations by Saturday Tribune confirmed during the week that a huge lobby team was afoot ahead of July 21 date, when Zakari was supposed to end her tenure in INEC as a National Commissioner.

It was gathered that the lobby team spoke to key persons who could talk to President Mohammadu Buhari, who eventually ordered the Head of Service to retain the woman on the job in acting capacity.

Investigations also revealed that the bid to retain her may not be unconnected with the plans of some of the politicians to contest higher offices in 2019.

A source in the know said that following the success of the lobbyists who influenced Buhari and impressed it on him to retain Zakari, despite the outcry by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the lobbyists have moved a step further.

The plan according to a source is to ensure that the woman is retained as the substantive Chairman of INEC, a move some of the politicians believe would enhance their electoral chances.

At least two governors of the North West are said to be eyeing higher offices in 2019 and are said to have sactioned the lobby to retain Zakari.

INEC PORTAL
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 04, 2015
Not always comfortable seeing this woman picture...she look so Boko Haramic..

@topic
Who say public pressure no work
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Fabrolistic: 8:44am On Aug 04, 2015
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by SeverusSnape(m): 8:45am On Aug 04, 2015
Because Buhari is your relation.
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 04, 2015
land for sell
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 04, 2015
land for sell grin
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Chyluv1000(f): 8:52am On Aug 04, 2015
mtcheeewwww if u lyk turn dia to ur grave its none of my business...

1 Like

Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Feranchek(m): 8:57am On Aug 04, 2015
Chyluv1000:
mtcheeewwww if u lyk turn dia to ur grave its none of my business...

I'll sue you for saying my mind without permission and due process grin
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 04, 2015

Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 04, 2015
Feranchek:

LMAO grin
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 04, 2015
Governorship Election time table for Kogi and Bayelsa State is out. This woman is going to teach some people a lesson.
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Chyluv1000(f): 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2015
Feranchek:

lolz....
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 05, 2015
Autolord:
Shekau was missing from the last boko haram video in preparation for his own appointment
Re: Why I’m Staying Put As INEC Acting Chairman - Hajiya Amina Bala Zakari by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mentor

(1) (Reply)

Godswill Akpabio Desperately Moves To Destroy Evidence Of Corruption In The ... / Pic:when We Said NO To Change Some Of You Insulted Us / Photos: Prince Of Ife Visits Emir Sanusi Lamido Of Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.