Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,982 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? (2619 Views)

Sex Once In 3 Months, Lasts 30 Secs Yet He Blames Me For Not Giving Him A Child / Mother Beating Her 16-Year-Old Daughter For Sharing After Sex Photos On Fb [VIDE / A Wife Sent Her Hubby A Shocking Birthday Message After Beating Her Mercilessly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 11:59am On Aug 04, 2015
I was in a heated argument with my cousin. He is of the Opinion that Beating a child will make him/her live a right life.

Is this really true?
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Cutehector(m): 12:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
Spare d rod, spoil d child...

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by 5minsmadness: 12:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Yes it does.
A child needs to fear first and take you as an authority figure before you can make an impact.
You can't reason with a child as the white folks would have us believe. You have seen how thier 'no corporal punishment' or children has worked for them.

However spanking a child should not be done in anger but in a bid to correct the child. A parent who spanks a child out of anger or 'beats' the child with all his/her might out if anger is immature and not fit for the responsibility of raising children.

9 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Slimzjoe(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
Beating a Child will only make him Fear you and Not Respect you.

He can always go back to whatever you Beat Him For when you're Not around.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by ammyluv2002(f): 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
Not always! There are times, you don't spank even when the child is expecting it.

You have to input the right things in a child before they can live right and you can't achieve that by beating alone. You have to talk, display good attitude and teach him/her. Beating is not the only way to correct a child.

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by donholy28(m): 12:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
Flog d hell out of an erring child and he won't do it again... dats why Africans have d best trained kids...spare d rod...and spoil d child

2 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Papasmal(m): 12:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
Popsy lashes alwayz set my thinkin right whn I was young,whenever I rmember that makes me behave well.

I later discovered those treatmnt was helpful when I grew up cos wherever I goes,I use to behave well and I never cause trouble for my parent in anyway.

It is a disciplinary measure not beating.

African child needs lashes whenevr they misbehave,forget wetin oyinbo dey talk say na child abuse.

6 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Houseofglam7(f): 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
The way to go men!
angry

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
5minsmadness:
Yes it does.
A child needs to fear first and take you as an authority figure before you can make an impact.
You can't reason with a child as the white folks would have us believe. You have seen how thier 'no corporal punishment' or children has worked for them.

However spanking a child should not be done in anger but in a bid to correct the child. A parent who spanks a child out of anger or 'beats' the child with all his/her might out if anger is immature and not fit for the responsibility of raising children.

I love how well you wrote this

4 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Slimzjoe:

i totally agree
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2015
Cutehector:
Spare d rod, spoil d child...

Then when you stop beating the child.... he goes back to his previous sin
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by hvq229(m): 6:56am On Aug 05, 2015
Crysallis:
I was in a heated argument with my cousin. He is of the Opinion that Beating a child will make him/her live a right life.

Is this really true?

not by itself but it can be useful
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by RiffRaff: 8:31am On Aug 05, 2015
No it doesnt... The answer is right in front of you.
Just look at the Nigerian society and how morally bankrupt most people are.

They grew up in a home where they were canned. It did not stop them from being morally bankrupt.

They will quote nonsense from jewish mythological books like "spare the rod, bla bla" they conviniently leave out the part where the book said "dash your children happily against rock"
A book that said you should execute your own child.
The worst place you can turn to for moral is religion. Why should i listen to parenting advice from a God who drowned his own children and slaughtered innocent egyptian 1st born?

Check out the crime index of the countries with the lowest crime rate on google. Read up on their culture, they dont spank their kids and are not morally bankrupt like Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by StPete: 8:49am On Aug 05, 2015
I totally DISAGREE with you on this one.

Slimzjoe:

The idea is not for the child to respect or fear you, the idea is to make the child take correction. It sends a strong signal that he/she should avoid whatever he/she was beating for. Children are not goats that will not take corrections. That is why there must be correction.
If you fail an assignment in school, you are marked down and correction is given so everyone in class can learn. It is a part of righting all wrongs.

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Slimzjoe(m): 10:00am On Aug 05, 2015
StPete:

The idea is not for the child to respect or fear you, the idea is to make the child take correction. It sends a strong signal that he/she should avoid whatever he/she was beating for. Children are not goats that will not take corrections. That is why there must be correction.
If you fail an assignment in school, you are marked down and correction is given so everyone in class can learn. It is a part of righting all wrongs.

You still did not Make any Point. A Child's Life is not a School Home work that Can just be Written for a Child to Copy.
Beating a Child Without does not Correct the Child in anyway. Talking to Him Does
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by StPete: 10:05am On Aug 05, 2015
Slimzjoe:

You still did not Make any Point. A Child's Life is not a School Home work that Can just be Written for a Child to Copy.
Beating a Child Without does not Correct the Child in anyway. Talking to Him Does

I’ve said my piece, take it or leave it

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 05, 2015
Beating a child will only make impact (not frequent beating).
talking to them does and Help. The most important thing is PRAYER
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Slimzjoe(m): 10:10am On Aug 05, 2015
StPete:

I’ve said my piece, take it or leave it

No be Quarrel Bros undecided
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
RiffRaff:

They grew up in a home where they were canned. It did not stop them from being morally bankrupt.

They will quote nonsense from jewish mythological books like "spare the rod, bla bla" they conviniently leave out the part where the book said "dash your children happily against rock"
The worst place you can turn to for moral is religion. Why should i listen to parenting advice from a God who drowned his own children and slaughtered innocent egyptian 1st born?

Check out the crime index of the countries with the lowest crime rate on google. Read up on their culture, they dont spank their kids and are not morally bankrupt like Nigeria.

You sound like an atheist. I loved the way you gave your opinion.

Pls kindly give the reference to "Dash Your Children against the rock"
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 1:36pm On Aug 10, 2015
StPete:

If you will beat your child, do so lovingly. African parents beat out of hate, or because they have another child so they do not care.

Jst imaging that you have only one shoe, you will use it carefully. If there are many of them, you wil use the one at your disposal as you like.

Some Children are sensitive children, others are not. If the child loved what you did and you beat him for it, he will still go back to do it. You as the parent have to look for a means to take again the child's attention for what he did.

*i appologize for any gramatical errors, am on a touch screen phone so I cannot edit*
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Crysallis(m): 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2015
StPete:

StPete:

If you will beat your child, do so lovingly. African parents beat out of hate, or because they have another child so they do not care.

Jst imaging that you have only one shoe, you will use it carefully. If there are many of them, you wil use the one at your disposal as you like.

Some Children are sensitive children, others are not. If the child loved what you did and you beat him for it, he will still go back to do it. You as the parent have to look for a means to take again the child's attention for what he did.

*i appologize for any gramatical errors, am on a touch screen phone so I cannot edit*
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Pamelayoung: 2:30pm On Aug 10, 2015
Slimzjoe:

So wat do u advice
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Pamelayoung: 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
RiffRaff:

May God have mercy on ur soul

2 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Pamelayoung: 2:35pm On Aug 10, 2015
Slimzjoe:

How abt children that doesn't listen or even obey u after talking to them .how u handle that

2 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by jashar(f): 5:16pm On Aug 10, 2015
parents should know that different children respond to different methods of correction. smiley
Some you beat to set them straight grin, others you punish, others you talk to.
But at the initial stage, it's beating that usually works. grin
Like me, I'm the last born, but my parents stopped beating me 1st grin I hate beating die angry I become worse after being beaten. But words get to moi
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Slimzjoe(m): 6:27pm On Aug 10, 2015
Pamelayoung:

How abt children that doesn't listen or even obey u after talking to them .how u handle that

Never give up on a Child. They are not as Experienced or Knowledgeable as you are even though they don't know that. Keep talking to him and if he goes Contrary to your Warnings, Calamity will surely befall him for him to Learn. Then, he would always listen to whatever you have to say

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by hvq229(m): 8:14pm On Aug 10, 2015
Pamelayoung:

I have only had to deal with teenagers -- all of them girls. After you have provided them with instructions, guidance, education and with clear rules, boundaries, and expectations- and those things are clear and understandable-- and the teenager is willfully or habitually disobedient or engaging in behavior which puts her in moral or other danger then it's the guardian's duty to flog her

It is important the girl knows and can understand why she is being flogged-- that when she cries from the pain of the lashes being laid on her back she'll associate it with the wrongful behavior for which she is being punished. After the flogging she will need additional instruction and guidance to lead her back to the proper behavior

2 Likes

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Pidggin(f): 8:48pm On Aug 10, 2015
Crysallis:

Is this really true?

Children are different as they have different personalities. Some kids do well with only instructions while others only obey you when you instill fear in them through canning. For me it will depend on the child I am dealing with, if the child is sturborn then I will surely rely on canning and guidance to impact knowledge, for a less rebellious child, I will rely on guidance alone.
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 10, 2015
What do beatings teach a child?

First, that violence is a solution. Second, that he has to fear his parents. Third, that love and violence belong together.
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by cococandy(f): 12:15am On Aug 11, 2015
This has been put to test over the decades and confirmed that it doesn't work.
The failure is right before our eyes. Beating does nothing to make kids into better adults. If it did, we would have better adults than other parts of the world who don't beat their kids.

To me this discussion is moot. If one can't look around the society and see that beating has done nothing for us, what else can you tell them to convince them otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by Richy4(m): 1:04am On Aug 11, 2015
Beating a child is never the solution. Talking to that child and occasionally spanking is the best not beating.

I was talking to a friend of mine at work who got serious solution for her thirteen year old.
He bought her smart phone and equally bought something like 3310 kinda phone

When ever she misbehave,after talking to her, he will simply size the phone and give her the 3010 for 2 weeks( depending on the offence) Just for communicationon if she needed anything while in school etc.
According to him the girl will be so remorseful during the duration.
Re: Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? by hvq229(m): 1:19am On Aug 11, 2015
cococandy:
This has been put to test over the decades and confirmed that it doesn't work.
The failure is right before our eyes. Beating does nothing to make kids into better adults. If it did, we would have better adults than other parts of the world who don't beat their kids.

To me this discussion is moot. If one can't look around the society and see that beating has done nothing for us, what else can you tell them to convince them otherwise?

the reason it doesn't work is too many parents and guardians use corporal punishment inappropriately and/or ineffectively. I don't flog a child unless she has been willfully and wantonly engaging in immoral conduct; has been clearly told the rules and expectations for her to follow and has chosen to disobey them, or when other means of guidance and correction haven't worked. And when a child is flogged is told clearly and without doubt why she is to be punished

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Dinning Table *just How Useful*(SEE PICS) / Husband Catches Wife In A Night Club, Beats Her To Pulp In Edo (photos) / Tips On Choosing The Right Air Conditioner For Your Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.