Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( (11728 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour / My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 04, 2015
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't graduated with 'First Class honours' sad

Sometimes, I wish I'd made a comfortable 2nd class upper or even lower.

And NO, I'm not kidding! angry

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2 like most other people did, nobody would expect me to have the answer to every question, simply because "but you're a first class graduate na". undecided

Nobody would be surprised that you still don't have a job, one year after youth service. When you tell people you're looking for a job, nobody would ask you dumb questions like "how can you be looking for a job, when you made first class? Companies should be chasing you with job offers na"

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2, nobody would put me under unnecessary pressure. Nobody would expect me to perform better than everyone else on the team, and when I miss something just like everyone else did, nobody would ask "how did you make first class sef?" angry

It's a pity that something that should be a thing of pride has become something I'm too ashamed to mention in public. These days, when I want to apply for a job, I debate whether to use 'First Class or second class upper' on my C.V. How do I explain that haven't gotten a job almost two years after NYSC? cry (and YES, I attended a Federal University).

I haven't even mentioned the embarrassment in the hands of these marketing companies. You see 'First Class' on my C.V, and you have the guts to invite me for an interview, to come market some stupid 'weight loss' product at monthly salary of #25k+variable commission embarassed

Chai!

I have suffered.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by undercurrent(m): 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
pains of a failed country.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by spill(m): 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
Don't ever regret it.....

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by yorke1: 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hold on... but are you just a first class student on paper only without anything upstairs?

5 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
Sorry bro.. Its part of the struggle.. Just persevere.. Your time is coming... Keep hope alive!

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Crieff(m): 5:37pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hold on homie.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Abduletudaye(m): 5:37pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hmmm....thats what you get ooo...na wa...
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
spill:
Don't ever regret it.....

It hasn't exactly done me much good...
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
undercurrent:
pains of a failed country.

cry cry

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
yorke1:
Hold on... but are you just a first class student on paper only without anything upstairs?

Lol
I don't know. Is it possible to make first class in federal university in Nigeria without having anything upstairs? undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
Manuelson:
Sorry bro.. Its part of the struggle.. Just persevere.. You time is coming... Keep hope alive!

Merci beaucoup Monsieur Manuelson

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
What did you study?
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by drey076(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
Oga o cry
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
Pelmet:
What did you study?

I really don't want to say...With good reason. embarassed
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
cvibe2:
...so you have first class in what?

Shey you want to give me a job?
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
Crieff:
Hold on homie.

Hold on to what exactly
The first class degree? The notion that Nigeria would be better?

Thanks sha...I wasn't planning to kill myself anytime soon smiley
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by mployer(m): 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2015
Op didn't make any first class.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
GrammarNazi:

I really don't want to say...With good reason. embarassed
what reasons?

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2015
Pelmet:
what reasons?

It would be easy for a Nairalander who knows me in real life, to identify me if I mention the course I studied, cos it's one of those courses that produce first class graduates probably once in ten years
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2015
mployer:
Op didn't make any first class.

I'm yet to see a dumb first class graduate undecided

Thanks for the thinly-veiled insult angry

I've been accused of so many things, but no one has ever accused me of being dumb smiley
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 04, 2015
GrammarNazi:

It would be easy for a Nairalander who knows me in real life, to identify me if I mention the course I studied, cos it's one of those courses that produce first class graduates probably once in ten years
onCe in ten yearS...law? maths? BioChemistry? You attended a federal uni...that should make it very difficult for anyone but No P though. Jez know that 1st class is super cool and you let ppl know that it doesn't really quantify your intelligence...be happy
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by LaurelP(m): 6:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
wat efforts have u made in ur job search? that u made a 1st class doesnt mean employers will start chasing u around. u still need 2 strategically upgrade urself and jobhunt like any oda person. there are many people like u.

5 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by mployer(m): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
GrammarNazi:

Thanks for the thinly-veiled insult angry

I've been accused of so many things, but no one has ever accused me of being dumb smiley

Sorry bro.

I actually thought you are just being funny.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
That is the reality on ground. So far, what efforts have you made to stoop low to conquer?
Getting a job in Nigeria it a job itself.
First class and two years been jobless is not an easy feat.
First, settle with a lesser paying job because the labour market want young dudes below 26yrs.
Secondly, if you have got cash go get a certification.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Happiness87(f): 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
GrammarNazi:
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't graduated with 'First Class honours' sad

Sometimes, I wish I'd made a comfortable 2nd class upper or even lower.

And NO, I'm not kidding! angry

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2 like most other people did, nobody would expect me to have the answer to every question, simply because "but you're a first class graduate na". undecided

Nobody would be surprised that you still don't have a job, one year after youth service. When you tell people you're looking for a job, nobody would ask you dumb questions like "how can you be looking for a job, when you made first class? Companies should be chasing you with job offers na"

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2, nobody would put me under unnecessary pressure. Nobody would expect me to perform better than everyone else on the team, and when I miss something just like everyone else did, nobody would ask "how did you make first class sef?" angry

It's a pity that something that should be a thing of pride has become something I'm too ashamed to mention in public. These days, when I want to apply for a job, I debate whether to use 'First Class or second class upper' on my C.V. How do I explain that haven't gotten a job almost two years after NYSC? cry (and YES, I attended a Federal University).

I haven't even mentioned the embarrassment in the hands of these marketing companies. You see 'First Class' on my C.V, and you have the guts to invite me for an interview, to come market some stupid 'weight loss' product at monthly salary of #25k+variable commission embarassed

Chai!

I have suffered.....
what's your course of study?
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
Pelmet:
onCe in ten yearS...law? maths? BioChemistry? You attended a federal uni...that should make it very difficult for anyone but No P though. Jez know that 1st class is super cool and you let ppl know that it doesn't really quantify your intelligence...be happy

The "once in ten years" was just a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally. But I'm sure you got the message.

I know making 'First Class' isn't bad, but it hasn't done me much good either...not yet anyway.

Thanks all the same smiley
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 04, 2015
LaurelP:
wat efforts have u made in ur job search? that u made a 1st class doesnt mean employers will start chasing u around. u still need 2 strategically upgrade urself and jobhunt like any oda person. there are many people like u.

Touché!!!
I've learnt my lessons...at least, I hope so
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
mployer:

Sorry bro.

I actually thought you are just being funny.

Lol...no offence taken
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2015
artisticallyart:
That is the reality on ground. So far, what efforts have you made to stoop low to conquer?
Getting a job in Nigeria it a job itself.
First class and two years been jobless is not an easy feat.
First, settle with a lesser paying job because the labour market want young dudes below 26yrs.
Secondly, if you have got cash go get a certification.

Mehn, no be small thing.
I've invested in a few professional certifications now. I'm still trying to develop myself.

It's a pity I'm not the entrepreneurial type, or I'd have set up something long ago.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Kossyne(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
#1. Try applying to private secondary schools. Some of them pay as much as #50k-#100k.

#2.Do you have a laptop? Create a blog. Though this does not guarantee immediate cash inflows but with dedication and commitment you won't regret it on the long run.

#3. Create a LinkedIn account. I heard many people have gotten jobs via this medium. Even if you don't. It's a "good to have".

#4.Try Networking.
Join the the youth wing of your local church/mosque and be active. Volunteer to participate in organizing events. You need people to see you. Don t be ashamed to tell people that you need a job but don't appear desperate.

#5. Learn a Skill
Learn a skill that is not related to your area of discipline. Maybe programming or something. It will improve your chances of getting employed.

This is not the time for self-pity. Worrying will do you no good.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 04, 2015
Kossyne:
I feel you pain bro. I made a first too. I currently serving and will complete my service by October. I have applied for several job openings but yet to get an invite for a(n) test/interview. Thinking about my fate without a job after service scares a hell out of me but I'm not giving up.

I will suggest a few things for you though.

#1. Try applying to private secondary schools. Some of them pay as much as #50k-#100k.

#2.Do you have a laptop? Create a blog. Though this does not guarantee immediate cash inflows but with dedication and commitment you won't regret it on the long run.

#3. Create a LinkedIn account. I heard many people have gotten jobs via this medium. Even if you don't. It's a "good to have".

#4.Try Networking.
Join the the youth wing of your local church/mosque and be active. Volunteer to participate in organizing events. You need people to see you. Don t be ashamed to tell people that you need a job but don't appear desperate.

#5. Learn a Skill
Learn a skill that is not related to your area of discipline. Maybe programming or something. It will improve your chances of getting employed.

This is not the time for self-pity. Worrying will do you no good.

Thanks Boss!
I'm already in the process of doing most of the things you pointed out; trying to develop myself as much as I can.
Thanks for the advice and good wishes.

I wish you all the best too

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Gain Recognition At Your Place Of Work / PE1 ICAN 2013 Nov Diet Examination / What Do You Do When Your Peer Becomes Your New Boss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.