Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Defending the Doctrine of Hell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Defending the Doctrine of Hell (1269 Views)

My Take On The Doctrine Of Trinity And Those Saying Jesus Is God Almighty! / Logical Understanding Of Trinity (elohim) - Establishing The Doctrine Of Godhead / The Doctrine Of The Ufos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
A Case for the Doctrine of Hell
Men over the century,have questioned the truth of this doctrine and like impious devonax who,being threatened with hell for his villainies,mocked at it and said,"I will believe there is a hell when i come there and not before!".Bertrand Rusell in his book,'Why i'm not a christain' said he admired Jesus Christ but one thing of which Christ was most wrong was that he believed in an eternal Hell.one man who claims to be a christain fairly well said,"I don't care if every page of the bible taught eternal Hell,i still wouldn't believe in it".John Lenon fantasizing about this subject,mocked it in his hit song Imagine,"Imagine there is no Heaven it's easy if you try,no Hell below us,above us only sky".and a host of other God defamers.So i've deemed it fit to set the record straight on this subject.
Someone has once rightly said,"Human conscience demands,that there has to be a place called Hell,otherwise we're living in a universe of injustice"-If men still escape Divine retribution after escaping by the skin of their teeth while on earth.Ah,Certainly,conscience,nature all join in one loud proclammation yelling,'There is a Hell!There is a Hell!'.Now,we wish to frighten nobody. But silence will not extinguish the pains of hell,nor render them non-existent.So where do we begin.
First,the existence of Hell may be argued from common sense even plato, the poet and philosopher, declares in his Phaedo: “After having maturely weighed all things and tested them severely,I have found nothing that is more compatible with wisdom,reason and truth,” than the belief in hell and its punishments.Then Saint Chrysostom argues this way:“All of us, Greeks and Jews,heretics and Christians, acknowledge that God is just.Now,many who sinned have passed away without being punished,while many others who led virtuous lives did not die until they had suffered innumerable tribulations.If God is just,how will He reward the latter and punish the former, unless there be a hell and a resurrection?and Gregory adds:“The justice of the Supreme Judge requires that they who in this life would never cease from sin, should never cease from punishment in the hereafter".
Some have objected saying that a “short-lived” sin should not be punished with eternal punishment besides Man can only live 140yrs.Such a person claims that even Hitler the mass murderer doesn't deserve Eternal Hell.But such people ought to realise that even in our judicial system,In the civil law we often hear of many cases when someone,due to the sins he/she has committed at one point or another, received a punishment which lasted many years or even until the end of his/her life. The duration of time in which the evil act itself was committed does not necessarily commensurate with the duration of the imposed punishment. Someone may spend years in prison for a five-minute crime. Edward puts it more succiently,"The degree of punishment of a crime isn't only dependent on the intensity,but on the object to whom we sin".Let me illustrate the aforementioned quote:Stealing FiveNaira isn't as bad as stealing One thousand Naira,it would be worse to steal a millionNaira.Good!Let's move a step higher;We are worse off murdering an infant,What about a mere civilian?What,If it were our president?Doom,right!.Then how much infinitely worse to sin against an infinitely Holy God.Of course,to sin against an infinite essence must incur infinite punishment.it's rather unfortunate,i once used an arguement put forth by Edwards for this objection but they've disappeared on My timeline along with many others.
I can hear someone say:Ah,Preacher don't get yourself worked up!Luke16 is only a parable?
And we reply,whether it's a parable or not isn't the issue.but what the 'supposed' parable stands for.Jesus repeatedly,and emphatically calls it a place of torment V23,24,25,28.If we claim otherwise then we've to conclude that Luke15 is only a parable__God doesn't really welcome Sinners Home.that's a silly exegesis that should be laughed at.
Some Bible scholar may claim Eternal,Everlasting and the likes doesn't necessarily mean forever and ever for instance Jude7__Afterall,the Land isn't burning now.
You don't argue for a verse by it's minority use, especially when it's just for 'general use'but the error here is called the 'major exegetical fallacy'.This is the puncher:The New testament uses that phrase aionos aiona in the double sense exclusively of God's attributes and the destiny of the damned see 1Tim 6:17,Rev1:6,18 Rev10:6,Rev4:9,10 Rev14:11Gal 5:1Ep1:17,Heb13:21Rev20:10.there is no getting around these verse
To prevent post from been lengthy and boring,let me stop here.may update a second post with numerous objection,from the,"God is love .." and destroyed,perish arguement etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 06, 2015
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
Rather , the Hell Myth.

1 Like

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 07, 2015
frosbel2:
Rather , the Hell Myth.
Why is it a myth?Did i quote the upanishads or is the doctrine found in the bagavad gita?
Aren't u a christain?
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Jozzy4: 11:00am On Aug 07, 2015
tyuhd:

Why is it a myth?Did i quote the upanishads or is the doctrine found in the bagavad gita?
Aren't u a christain?

Stop this mess , did God promise Adam hell ? Did you read that Adam died and go to hell ? To where did God said adam will return ? ..

Meanwhile : male sperr*m combine with the female egg and a zygote is produced , it gradually developed into a little baby , that baby grows and became old , then he died . That same you is put in the coffin and lowered into the grave, isnt it ?

Do u exist before that sperr*m that formed you was introduced ? You dont , a mere zygote develops into an old man , then simply return to the ground , decayed and return back to dust .

Can you now see that there is no special part of you that survive death to enjoy an afterlife ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
Jozzy4:

Stop this mess , did God promise Adam hell ? Did you read that Adam died and go to hell ? To where did God said adam will return ? ..

Meanwhile : male sperr*m combine with the female egg and a zygote is produced , it gradually developed into a little baby , that baby grows and became old , then he died . That same you is put in the coffin and lowered into the grave, isnt it ?

Do u exist before that sperr*m that formed you was introduced ? You dont , a mere zygote develops into an old man , then simply return to the ground , decayed and return back to dust .

Can you now see that there is no special part of you that survive death to enjoy an afterlife ?
Are u saying Hell doesn't exist or it doesn't last eternally,honestly i don't understand ur stance?
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 09, 2015
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Jozzy4: 5:50pm On Aug 09, 2015
tyuhd:

Are u saying Hell doesn't exist or it doesn't last eternally,honestly i don't understand ur stance?
^
Did Adam went to hell ?

2 Likes

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2015
Jozzy4:

^
Did Adam went to hell ?
The bible never told us.if adam went to Heaven or not.so why the hasty generalisation? and besides it isn't certain the eternal destiny of adam till the last day.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Jozzy4: 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2015
tyuhd:

The bible never told us.if adam went to Heaven or not.so why the hasty generalisation? and besides it isn't certain the eternal destiny of adam till the last day.

Let me help you : To where did God said Adam will RETURN when he dies ?
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2015
Jozzy4:

Let me help you : To where did God said Adam will RETURN when he dies ?

Of course God said Adam would return to the grave.Before answering your objection.I would like to know the anchor of what you believe----Are you implying there is no Hell or Hell is simply the grave?
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Jozzy4: 10:07pm On Aug 15, 2015
tyuhd:

Of course God said Adam would return to the grave. Before answering your objection.

You have answered already . The bold statement said it all
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by PraiseDLord: 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2015
tyuhd:

Aren't u a christain?

I honestly wander...
Either you believe it or not, the reality remains reality. After all, I never thought/believe there was any one richer than my father when I was young, only to find out there are in their millions.
It's just like telling someone that the president of America is a black man from Kenya, and someone living in the remotest part of Nigeria, who has no interest in news or recent happenings replying you "I just can't believe this"! Does his unbelieve change anything or removes Obama as the president? No! Thus either you believe in the doctrine of hell or not is highly immaterial, hell does exists! No one can comprehend the ways of God with common sense.
If death came upon all humanity because Adam and his wife ate the forbidden fruit for just less than 5 minutes, how much more surer is God's punishment upon obstinately recalcitrant sinners who hold the truth of God's justice in unrighteousness.
Better repent beloved!
I've told you ooo and thus free from your blood!
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by PraiseDLord: 11:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
Jozzy4:

Yea! CERTAINLY, IGNORANCE MUST BE A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by davien(m): 11:23pm On Aug 15, 2015
PraiseDLord:

Yea! CERTAINLY, IGNORANCE MUST BE A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is, that's why you need to be educated as to why two individuals can't propagate 7 billion..
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by menesheh(m): 3:21am On Aug 16, 2015
tyuhd:

It doesn't exist until you present a demonstrable explanations and evidence we can hold on to. That a book said something with supports and evidence from inside the same book of which there is no where to lay hand in order to verify its plausibility makes it invalid . Your claim of hell have zero probable match with reality. How then did you come about the idea. It is simply imagery and fantasy.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by menesheh(m): 3:30am On Aug 16, 2015
PraiseDLord:

I honestly wander...
Either you believe it or not, the reality remains reality. After all, I never thought/believe there was any one richer than my father when I was young, only to find out there are in their millions.
It's just like telling someone that the president of America is a black man from Kenya, and someone living in the remotest part of Nigeria, who has no interest in news or recent happenings replying you "I just can't believe this"! Does his unbelieve change anything or removes Obama as the president? No! Thus either you believe in the doctrine of hell or not is highly immaterial, hell does exists! No one can comprehend the ways of God with common sense.
If death came upon all humanity because Adam and his wife ate the forbidden fruit for just less than 5 minutes, how much more surer is God's punishment upon obstinately recalcitrant sinners who hold the truth of God's justice in unrighteousness.
Better repent beloved!
Shalom

How is it a reality. Have you see hell before, did you have evidence that is extrinsic with the source of the idea of hell. Can you show us the mechanisms you applied that lead to the conclusion of its reality. How can you differentiate the idea of hell to other mythical claims either written in others books or passed through the words of the mouth.

Hell is a stone age myth whether you like it or not.

1 Like

Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 16, 2015
PraiseDLord:

I honestly wander...
Better repent beloved!
Shalom
My Bro you've said it all.unbelief doesn't negate reality
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

It doesn't exist until you present a demonstrable explanations and evidence we can hold on to. That a book said something with supports and evidence from inside the same book of which there is no where to lay hand in order to verify its plausibility makes it invalid . Your claim of hell have zero probable match with reality. How then did you come about the idea. It is simply imagery and fantasy.
Will be back After church service.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

You see that's the problem we have with skeptics.You're asking us to start from your own reference point.Funny!
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by menesheh(m): 8:58am On Aug 16, 2015
tyuhd:

You see that's the problem we have with skeptics.You're asking us to start from your own reference point.Funny!

I didn't understand the point you are trying to make here by "You're asking us to start from your own reference point.Funny!"

Which reference? I didn't get you.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

I didn't understand the point you are trying to make here by "You're asking us to start from your own reference point.Funny!"

Which reference? I didn't get you.
You're telling us to use science and arguement to prove the existence of Hell.How riduculous! We must always stick to the claims of scripture and only scripture.Period!
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

Jesus said it does exist and Honestly that is enough for my weak poor defective feeble mind Matt 25:41-45 and besides Young man isn't there something within you that always cries out frequently,"There is a Hell and it is Hot" Do you have to deny it.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by menesheh(m): 9:14am On Aug 16, 2015
tyuhd:

You're telling us to use science and arguement to prove the existence of Hell.How riduculous! We must always stick to the claims of scripture and only scripture.Period!

You are referring science and logic as if it is a medium or a thing. Science is a method and ways to finding out whether something is what it is said to be or finding out the fact about unknown phenomenon. If you said that alien kidnapped you yesterday, we apply logic and methods (science) to find out whether what you are claiming is true or not.

Tell me which other ways you do apply to find out the facts of something?

Unless if you don't care whether what you see or belief are true or not.
Re: Defending the Doctrine of Hell by menesheh(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2015
tyuhd:

Jesus said it does exist and Honestly that is enough for my weak poor defective feeble mind Matt 25:41-45 and besides Young man isn't there something within you that always cries out frequently,"There is a Hell and it is Hot" Do you have to deny it.

That's poor judgement, that a book made a claim of something and defended itself in the same book was your only reason and evidence for believing such. You have to pick Quran too and start believing things there, after all, Muhammed said in its book that Allah is real.

You said that you are a young man and that there is something within you that always cry out frequently. You need medical attention if it is really true.

I don't have to deny hell but i have no substantial evidence to believe such exist. It is a hearsay like the story of santa Claus. Nothing atall to hold as a data collection platform in order to go about proving its probability.

(1) (Reply)

Angola Bans Islam, All Mosques To Be Destroyed! / Pat Robertson: Non-religious Children Should Be Beaten Until They Respect Christ / New Series - Cutting Through The Noise: How To Unplug Distractions & Focus...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.